Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

51 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would say the way in which you got unwittingly caught up in this, which was by way of a simple error in reasoning, was amusing, except obviously even if it was at the start it certainly isn't now. I could explain the error on which a whole tangled web of mistaken accusations was constructed, but frankly it wouldn't alter anything.

Genuinely I am interested but the better part of me thinks its best to steer clear.

It

50 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would say the way in which you got unwittingly caught up in this, which was by way of a simple error in reasoning, was amusing, except obviously even if it was at the start it certainly isn't now. I could explain the error on which a whole tangled web of mistaken accusations was constructed, but frankly it wouldn't alter anything.

It’s a Pavlovian response, ironic from one who often seeks to gain pseudo intellectual high ground by reference to Pavlovs dogs. 

On 13/10/2019 at 17:33, Bill said:

barely a couple of days after the cranks were deluding themselves that brexit was about to happen we have

"Jean-Claude Juncker has talked up the prospects of a Brexit extension beyond 31 October as EU officials downplayed the chances of a breakthrough in time for this week’s crunch summit.

As talks on Johnson’s latest Brexit proposals continued in Brussels, the European commission president said he would back a prolongation of the UK’s membership if it was sought."

'Michel Barnier has warned EU ambassadors that the latest negotiations with Boris Johnson’s government have been “difficult”, with it appearing increasingly unlikely that agreement can be found by the time of an EU summit later this week.

After a weekend of intensive talks in Brussels, the EU’s chief negotiator offered a downbeat assessment of the chances of settling the major differences that remain between the two sides." 17.19 pm Sunday

So looks like Bill was right yet again - there will be an extension, and there won't be a deal passed by the 19th

I wonder what the EU and Remain have lined up for the following months ?

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE NOT ALWAYS RIGHT 

On 14/01/2020 at 19:28, Jools said:

USA is ready to rock with the UK on 01 Feb – the EU isn’t

With “ze clock teeking”, the EU seems determined to waste more time

woody_tweet_130120.jpg

Brexit Facts4EU.Org sheds some Brexit light on the murky world of EU delays

Yesterday the US Ambassador to the Court of St James, Ambassador Woody Johnson, made it perfectly and very publicly clear that the United States is ready to start formal trade talks the moment the UK leaves the EU.

Unfortunately, unlike the US, the EU will not be ready.

Ambassador Johnson stated yesterday that the USA is ready to start agreeing new trade arrangements with the UK in two weeks’ time - on 01 February – the day after the United Kingdom exits the EU (albeit in name only).

How is it possible that the EU is not ready to start trade talks after all this time?

Brexit Facts4EU.Org Summary

EU-UK trade talks – the current position and the extra EU delays

• On 01 February, (first day after Brexit), the EU will NOT be ready to negotiate
  • When drafted, the Commission’s proposed mandate needs to be discussed by the EU27 governments
  • The EU will not be ready to negotiate trade with the UK until March
  • March will be three years and nine months after the UK voted to leave the EU
  • This is just three months before the notice period to extend the end of the Transition Period expires
  • It is just nine months before the UK will leave the EU and trade independently

On the other hand, the USA is ready to start

woody_tweet_130120_2.jpg

EU Commission picks Juncker’s Spanish Europhile Head of Cabinet for key role in UK negotiations

Jean-Claude Juncker’s former chief of staff Clara Martínez Alberola has just become the EU’s deputy chief Brexit negotiator, working with Michel Barnier. She only started work one week ago, on Monday 06 January.

In the 1980s Ms Martinez Alberola attended the College of Europe in Brussels, as well as the Université Libre de Bruxelles. Aged 56, she has only ever worked as a technocrat for the EU.

Is the EU really a credible international organisation?

The EU Commission still has not even drafted its proposed mandate for negotiating a trade agreement with the United Kingdom. According to Monsieur Barnier, speaking in Sweden last week, he hopes they will have completed this by 01 February.

This is the same day that the USA is ready to start agreeing trade terms with the post-Brexit UK. While the United States is pressing ahead, the EU will still be talking amongst themselves.

Once the Commission has produced its “negotiating mandate”, it then has to propose this to the EU27 governments for approval. It is expected that there will be some disagreements. Some governments will insist on prioritising certain issues, such as full access to British waters, whereas others will care far more about the bulk of the trading arrangements between the EU and the UK.

We expect this to be discussed at the General Affairs Council on 25 February although no agenda has yet been produced. Monsieur Barnier himself hopes that the final mandate will be agreed by the end of Feb/early March. Only then can the first negotiating meetings with the UK’s team be planned.

Chairman of the ERG Steve Baker MP stresses need for parallel trade talks

"This is no time for timidity. Parallel negotiations will stop us becoming a rule-taking satellite of Brussels," says former Brexit Minister Steve Baker MP, the Chairman of the ERG - the main grouping of Eurosceptic Conservative MPs in Parliament.

In a powerful article in the Daily Telegraph yesterday (FREE link), Steve Baker MP laid out the compelling case for conducting trade negotiations with worldwide partners, without waiting for the EU. It was this article that the US Ambassador responded to so quickly. 

baker.jpg

Observations

Many readers will be astonished that the EU is still not ready to negotiate the future trading arrangements between the EU and the UK, nearly four years after the UK’s EU Referendum took place.

Instead, the EU followed a policy of delay and obfuscation, introducing contrived ‘priority areas’ which had to be agreed before they would discuss anything else at all. Unsurprisingly one of these was money, and Theresa May meekly gave into to this demand. Rather more surprisingly the new Johnson Government has not challenged this.

On a more positive note, many countries are queueing up to talk trade with the UK and it is clear that the USA is enthusiastic to start. Others such as Australia and New Zealand have long indicated their keenness.

The irony of all this, of course, is that there is not – and never was – any legal restriction on the UK negotiating trade deals with other countries, provided the actual deals did not start until after the UK had left the EU.

We were the first to say this in 2016, and our position was backed up a month later when Lawyers for Britain published their opinion. We are well aware that some of the mainstream media such as the BBC do not seem to know this, and continue to report incorrectly, but that is the case.

Nevertheless, we are where we are. And countries like the US are champing at the bit, whereas the EU donkey is plodding along at its own pace. This in itself shows how the British people chose the right course back in 2016.

[ Sources: EU Commission Article 50 Taskforce | US Ambassador | Steve Baker MP ] Politicians and journalists can contact us for details, as ever.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org, 14 Jan 2020

😎  🤠 💂‍♂️🇺🇸🇬🇧👍

New Zealand talks Not going so well

😟

Let's hope we can get this deal over the line

Watch out for that Winston Peters. Another iffy populist up to no good.🤨😀

"Mr Peters, leader of the populist New Zealand First party, has been deputy prime minister and foreign minister since striking a coalition deal with the ruling Labour party in 2017.

Last month he was forced to deny claims that he had hired the former Ukip donor Arron Banks to help run his election campaign. But he confirmed that he had held discussions with Mr Banks and Nigel Farage’s righthand man Andy Wigmore about a possible role."

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

Watch out for that Winston Peters. Another iffy populist up to no good.🤨😀

"Mr Peters, leader of the populist New Zealand First party, has been deputy prime minister and foreign minister since striking a coalition deal with the ruling Labour party in 2017.

Last month he was forced to deny claims that he had hired the former Ukip donor Arron Banks to help run his election campaign. But he confirmed that he had held discussions with Mr Banks and Nigel Farage’s righthand man Andy Wigmore about a possible role."

😟

Our populists can't get a deal done with their populists?

• Haha 1

On 02/08/2020 at 14:33, SwindonCanary said:

I'm stating that our figures will be better than you expect and the EU's are worse 

As said, I thought the UKs GDP could be around -14%, the figures was actually far worse (20.4%) than even I had thought. And clueless as ever you made a comment about EU countries figures ..... which had already been announced 🤣

And only someone as dim as a brexiteer would then strike a bet based on bigoted nationalism, rather than the figures which were already known. I even tried to warn you off the bet - but that simply set off the brexiteers default bleat..... ''project fear...baa baa"

Maybe these words might cause even a dimwit to stop and think ...... or even read the link

"Britain has entered the deepest recession since records began as official figures on Wednesday showed the economy shrank by more than any other major nation * during the coronavirus outbreak in the three months to June.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said gross domestic product (GDP), the broadest measure of economic prosperity, fell in the second quarter by 20.4% compared with the previous three months – the biggest quarterly decline since comparable records began in 1955."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/09/uk-to-fall-into-deepest-slump-on-record-with-worst-fall-in-gdp-among-g7

* not just all EU countries, but EVERY other major nation...... whereas you bet that the UK figure actually would be better

dear, oh dearie, dear me, and you told us you played the stock market, once making a profit in one trade that would have required you to have traded around £100,000 worth of stock in one day 😂

I knew what the result would be the result as it's in the future, It's bound to get get worse in the present climate. That's why I paid up before the event. At the time I was pointing out that our figures were better than all the other Eu countries, but you changed it to make it the future event and I fell for it.  Pleased to help PUP'S though.

I'm glad our laissez-faire attitude to the covid disaster helped protect the economy. And the people. 

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm glad our laissez-faire attitude to the covid disaster helped protect the economy. And the people. 

So what model have you been championing for the past few months? An earlier, more stringent lockdown that damages the economy, or something along the lines of Sweden that saves the economy but with more deaths? Or perhaps a bit of cake and eat it?

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I knew what the result would be the result as it's in the future, It's bound to get get worse in the present climate. That's why I paid up before the event. At the time I was pointing out that our figures were better than all the other Eu countries, but you changed it to make it the future event and I fell for it.  Pleased to help PUP'S though.

That is such a stupid LIE, as anyone can see

How could the figures be better, when they were not known ?

All I did was state what I thought they would be when they were released

You lost, because you were, and still are, too stupid to understand even the most basic of facts

56 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

So what model have you been championing for the past few months? An earlier, more stringent lockdown that damages the economy, or something along the lines of Sweden that saves the economy but with more deaths? Or perhaps a bit of cake and eat it?

Maybe the swedish model wouldn't have worked as well in the UK?

Not as many densely populated cities over there 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

That is such a stupid LIE, as anyone can see

How could the figures be better, when they were not known ?

All I did was state what I thought they would be when they were released

You lost, because you were, and still are, too stupid to understand even the most basic of facts

The figures were known at the time, lower than the rest of the EU 

Edited by SwindonCanary

Anther bare faced lie

if they were known, why did we have to wait until 12th Aug

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I would have gone with what we did but far less half arsed, stricter and clearer guidelines, earlier, checks at airports, track and trace systems that work and weren't ignored. There were lots of things the government could have done far better but were too busy playing silly ****s. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Anther bare faced lie

if they were known, why did we have to wait until 12th Aug

you think we carried on aimlessly, not knowing how we were preforming before 12th Aug ?  

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

Well we must have had some thing to go by before 12th AUG 

Yes, we did

The April figures... that I pointed out to you in an attempt to stop you continuing with the bet

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/12/britains-gdp-falls-204-in-april-as-economy-is-paralysed-by-lockdown

So with those horrendous figures known, and the UK still in lockdown in May you did not have to be a genius to work out that whatever happened in June was never going to balance April's figures alone

This was explained to you - look back on my posts

I even set the bet at a figure that I thought would deter you, but no.... with all the stupidity you could muster you bet on an almost cert loser

On 04/08/2020 at 10:36, Rock The Boat said:

You should know city 1st will wriggle out of a bet. He has form. 

I am sure we would all appreciate evidence of that, hand crank

and why you (in particular) should be continuing that smear

On 01/08/2020 at 00:40, Bill said:

the UK will not produce figures for the 2nd quarter until Aug 12th, however

''So how does the UK’s economic hit compare to that of other countries? The OECD produced some forecasts earlier this week which suggested that Britain would have one of the worst contractions of any developed country.''

''The massive plunge in April – the first month of the second quarter – means a second-quarter decline is certain, so we are in recession. How big will the second-quarter decline be?

In May the Bank of England produced an estimate that it would fall by 25 per cent in the three months to June. Today’s ONS figures suggest that it might not be as bad as that if April was the peak of the lockdown – but it will be relatively close.''

There, in blue, was the evidence and the explanation given..... before you persisted with the bet

Your stupidity and ignorance will not change things

All that can be changed is your refusal to inform yourself - which is really only your loss in the end

2 hours ago, Bill said:

There, in blue, was the evidence and the explanation given..... before you persisted with the bet

Your stupidity and ignorance will not change things

All that can be changed is your refusal to inform yourself - which is really only your loss in the end

We're not in recession, Billock, in fact we're recovering faster than Spain, France, and Italy, and on par with Germany according to the OECD.

7 minutes ago, Jools said:

We're not in recession, Billock, in fact we're recovering faster than Spain, France, and Italy, and on par with Germany according to the OECD.

Jools demonstrating his grasp on reality still hasn't got any firmer since I blocked him. He really is terminally thick.

Screenshot_20200813-194331_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Jools demonstrating his grasp on reality still hasn't got any firmer since I blocked him. He really is terminally thick.

Screenshot_20200813-194331_Chrome.jpg

🤣 CNN!! 🤪🤥😂 Possibly more Lefty biased than the BBC - and the majority know it.

A list of CNN controversies and lies 👉  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_controversies

CNN 😀 I'll take a pass if you don't mind...  I prefer to believe the OECD and Andrew Neil on this:

https://data.oecd.org/leadind/composite-leading-indicator-cli.htm

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1321858/BBC-news-andrew-neil-uk-recession-uk-economy-ONS-figures-latest-coronavirus

CNN 😂

7 minutes ago, Jools said:

A list of CNN controversies and lies 👉  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_controversies

CNN 😀 I'll take a pass if you don't mind...  I prefer to believe the OECD and Andrew Neil on this:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1321858/BBC-news-andrew-neil-uk-recession-uk-economy-ONS-figures-latest-coronavirus

CNN 😂

👍

Everything's Hunky Dory then 🤗

Just now, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

👍

Everything's Hunky Dory then 🤗

Now where did I state that it was, elastic man? It isn't, but it's not as bad as the scaremongers are making out and I know you're sensible enough to believe Andrew Neil over Chris Cuomo 🤣 Or do I 🤔😀

11 minutes ago, Jools said:

Now where did I state that it was, elastic man? It isn't, but it's not as bad as the scaremongers are making out and I know you're sensible enough to believe Andrew Neil over Chris Cuomo 🤣 Or do I 🤔😀

Never heard of Cuomo, therefore I have no idea what he does or what his agenda or opinion is 

I do know the UK has recorded 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth, and that is usually considered to be a recession 

As long as that bástard virus can be contained, then I would expect  Q3 to show growth over the figures of Q2

And I also expect that those figures will be spun by some people like a Shane Warne leggy, to demonstrate that the good times are back 

In the meantime  I hope that not too many people lose their jobs 

34 minutes ago, Jools said:

CNN 😂

Your response to CNN is to denounce them as biased and counter with the ****ing Express?!?! Oh dear. The Express which literally reported we are in a recession, just like every media outlet in the world, because it is factually accurate. I'm not purveying CNN to be the world's most impartial news outlet, just happened to be the first link on google when googling recession to counter your nonsense.

If you don't like CNN, then try any of the below news outlets. I'd love to see your explanation for how the Telegraph and Daily Mail are Left wing fanatic rags. To say we are not in a recession is immeasurably stupid. Recession is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact - you either are in a recession because you meet the criteria, or you are not, you ****ing moron.

image.thumb.png.2b48d832075287abc3fefd64dc558b6d.png

image.thumb.png.af6c8db00bc7c53a66a7a6cbdce400a9.png

image.thumb.png.cadc7f68dde0c509cd02251f468372ed.png