Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

A few thoughts on the nonsense posted by Jools: 6th form politics essay.

I think sixth form students would take offence

42 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I think sixth form students would take offence

I tend to agree.

I try to make points but not exaggerate and I did wonder whether a 6th former's essay would at least make points for and against (thesis etc).  But I left it in for a little balance!

On a more serious note I still haven't read anything that convinces me about the advantages of Brexit. Nothing that isn't spin. I see standards for exporters being unable to be met and whole sectors significantly affected (such a motor, food, pharma, even services).

Edited by sonyc

25 minutes ago, sonyc said:

advantages of Brexit

• be free to make all our own laws again with no oversight from external courts like the ECJ and Parliament to be supreme
  • be able to control immigration into this country
  • be free to strike trade deals with anyone in the world with no ‘interference’ from the EU
  • be free of all those really annoying rules and regulations which the EU has imposed on trade in goods and services.

33 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:
  • be free to make all our own laws again with no oversight from external courts like the ECJ and Parliament to be supreme. WTO, ECJ, ECHR will still have a little say and your government is making it harder for parliament to be supreme.
  • be able to control immigration into this country. We could. We didn't and still haven't.
  • be free to strike trade deals with anyone in the world with no ‘interference’ from the EU. The interference, which we had agreed to, was basically standards,safety and other regulations to make sure products were good enough. It worked.
  • be free of all those really annoying rules and regulations which the EU has imposed on trade in goods and services. Which ones didn't you like?

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

42 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:
  • be free to make all our own laws again with no oversight from external courts like the ECJ and Parliament to be supreme. WTO, ECJ, ECHR will still have a little say and your government is making it harder for parliament to be supreme. We will make our own laws without the EU interfearance 
  • be able to control immigration into this country. We could. We didn't and still haven't. We will
  • be free to strike trade deals with anyone in the world with no ‘interference’ from the EU. The interference, which we had agreed to, was basically standards,safety and other regulations to make sure products were good enough. It worked. Cheaper goods and we decide if it's up to standards 
  • be free of all those really annoying rules and regulations which the EU has imposed on trade in goods and services. Which ones didn't you like?  Hoovers and light bulbs are what effects me personally but  a total of 52,741 laws have been introduced since 1990 I'm sure you don't agree with all of them.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:
 42 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

• be free of all those really annoying rules and regulations which the EU has imposed on trade in goods and services. Which ones didn't you like?  Hoovers and light bulbs are what effects me personally but  a total of 52,741 laws have been introduced since 1990 I'm sure you don't agree with all of them.

in what way?

Well Swindo turns the light off... and the Hoover gives him a good old suck. His x must have walked in on him attached to Henry.

but  a total of 52,741 laws have been introduced since 1990 I'm sure you don't agree with all of them.

That is a nothing statement. I doubt you'll find anyone who agrees with all of them. 

• Thanks 1

The great Brexit Britain wealth opportunity
– Free trade and the free market economy - Part 2

Four business leaders and thinkers give their upbeat visions of the UK’s post-Brexit future

bright_brexit_2.jpg

© Brexit Facts4EU.Org 2020

Part 2 of a Brexit Facts4EU.Org Weekend Special

(Click here if you missed Part 1)

Our usual work involves the writing and publication of searing and punchy facts researched from official EU and UK government sources. This weekend, however, we are bringing you two uplifting articles to counteract the incessant doom and gloom from the BBC, Sky, ITN and others about the prospects for Brexit Britain.

We asked four business leaders and thinkers to give us their views about what lies ahead. Four individuals, four questions, four sets of answers. All different and all from different perspectives. They each had a lot to say. We hope you enjoy what follows.

The four questions are:

1. What are the great Brexit Britain wealth opportunities?
  2. How should we take advantage of them?
  3. If the EU continue to be unreasonable in the trade talks, should we revoke the WA and walk? If so, when?
  4. Contemplating our 31 December exit from the EU, what do you want from the Government?

Part Two – Ben Habib, CEO of First Property Group PLC and a former MEP, and Alastair Macmillan, MD of a successful Scottish business exporting around the world

In this second part of our Weekend Special on the positive opportunities from Brexit, we bring you the thoughts of the CEO of a large property PLC and former MEP, and the thoughts of the MD of a distributor and manufacturer of hydraulic pumps and valves, selling globally.

The thoughts of our final two contributors

Ben Habib, CEO of First Property Group PLC

1. What are the great Brexit Britain wealth opportunities?

The most immediate and greatest wealth opportunities arise by leaving the tax levying restrictive cartel which favours German exports over all else. Once the UK has left it can take steps to correct the imbalance in trade caused by an artificially weak euro which underpins these exports and can thereby make itself more economically competitive.

The most immediate and automatic saving will be the £12 billion (net) a year the UK currently pays the EU in tariffs collected, VAT and its GDP levy. In addition, we should levy tariffs at WTO rates on EU imports to balance the artificially depressed pound and reduce our trade deficit with the EU of some €100 billion per annum. The latter should yield some £13 bn in annual tariffs assuming trade levels immediately pre-Covid. Together these two steps alone would result in an additional £25 billion per annum for the UK. This is the immediate and quantifiable Brexit dividend.

This money should be used to fund some of the measures set out below and to compensate UK producers for tariffs the EU may levy. At WTO rates these would equate to some £5 bn per annum – very affordable.

Coupled with the above we must reduce VAT, reduce corporation tax, reduce green taxes and reduce regulations in the UK. This applies to business and to the financial sector (state aid laws, employment laws, environmental laws etc), so that the UK becomes economically fighting fit.

The EU fears a Singapore-on-Thames for good reason. This is why we must aim to be just that.

3. If the EU continue to be unreasonable in the trade talks, should we revoke the WA and walk? If so, when?

We should never have signed the WA. It achieved NOTHING for the UK other than land us with a large unquantified financial bill, the partitioning of Northern Ireland from Great Britain, and fixing the UK into the lunar orbit of the EU. It should be revoked at the earliest opportunity.

4. Contemplating our 31 December exit from the EU, what do you want from the Government?

From government we need an optimistic and bold no-deal business plan for the post-Brexit UK, picking up on the points I made above in answer to question 2. The government has done scant no-deal planning even though we are now more than half-way through the Transition Period and still at loggerheads with the EU over the basic structure (let alone details) of future arrangements. The best deal now for the UK is no-deal. That requires proper preparation and publication – there is so far none!

habib.jpg

Ben founded and is CEO of First Property Group plc, an award winning commercial property fund manager with operations in the United Kingdom and Central Europe.

Prior to establishing First Property, Ben was Managing Director of a private property development company, JKL Property Ltd, from 1994–2000. He started his career in corporate finance in 1987 at Shearson Lehman Brothers. He moved in 1989 to PWS Holdings plc, a FTSE 350 Lloyds reinsurance broker, to be its Finance Director.

In May 2019 Ben was elected to be a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for the Brexit Party, representing London.

Alastair MacMillan, Managing Director, White House Products Ltd

1. What are the great Brexit Britain wealth opportunities, from your perspective?

The main wealth opportunities will be the ability to regulate our own affairs, regulation suited to the UK way of doing business and the UK business profile. We can then ditch much of the rather catch-all, one size fits all regulation that has emanated from Brussels over recent years, a recent example of which being GDPR.

The ability to set our own trade policy is also a major part of this; a trade policy that is tailored to UK requirements and not again a one size fits all version, over which we have little control.

Trade agreements are often talked about and the ones we need to concentrate on are with the growing parts of the world. We have very healthy trade with the US already and I would not spend lots of time negotiating there but instead look at countries like Malaysia, Australia, NZ, and much of Africa. This will encourage a much more diverse trade policy than we have hitherto had and will also allow us to work on trade instead of aid policy for the poorest parts of the world. The aim should be to reduce costs through simplification, and removal of EU inspired "red tape" to allow diversity in of products and services to operate viably in the UK.

We should take advantage of the opportunities around the world by looking to simplify trade procedures as well as reducing tariffs with those countries with which we negotiate trade agreements. This simplification and removal of bureaucracy in trade with (for example) many African countries would dramatically increase the volume of trade flows.

If you reduce a tariff but then insist on a requirement for a particular form to be completed and stamped by HMRC in order to take advantage of such and such tariff reduction, you will frequently find that any saving has been negated and the customer ends up paying over the odds for a product he has no choice of getting other than by importing it. As far as existing EU regulation goes, this needs to be repealed and only where absolutely necessary replaced.

Revoke the WA and walk. Definitely, and when? Now. Trade talks are getting nowhere because they are still trying to tie us into a framework agreement. The ECJ has no place in post-Brexit Britain. UK fishing grounds have been raped for over 40 years and it is time to give ownership of them back to their rightful owners. Yes, tariffs on our products would have some impact on our business but I believe it will be short term.

I want the Government firstly to do one thing in particular and that is to work to minimise the bureaucracy of trade with the EU and elsewhere. I would like to see the simplification of customs procedures in both directions to prevent delay and reduce costs, which is vital. The air couriers have got it sorted out between here and the US so I am sure it can be done with other countries too and for other modes of transport. Secondly I want them to start repealing / replacing overly-complex and catch-all EU inspired law and regulation.

alastair_macmillian_whp.jpg

Alastair MacMillan set up White House Products in 1984 at the age of just 20, with his father David. Over the past 35 years his company has developed a reputation as one of the leading distributors of hydraulic equipment in the UK. It now exports to more than 100 countries around the world, including all EU countries.

From their premises in Glasgow Port WHP supplies hydraulic equipment which is used in everything from combine harvesters in the Grain Belt of the USA to giant lifting cranes in Calcutta. They don’t only distribute, they also have a manufacturing facility for making bespoke hydraulic pumps and valves.

Mr MacMillan is a strong advocate for government support for new businesses trying to start up, he is pro-Brexit, and pro-Union.

Observations

We are grateful to Ben Habib and Alastair MacMillan for giving up their time to provide readers with a more optimistic and practical vision of the opportunities ahead for the United Kingdom, when the Transition Period ends on 31 December this year.

Both of these gentlemen have significant business experience. Both have businesses dealing with EU countries. In Mr MacMillan's case, his Company is also selling to more than 100 countries around the world. We think people like this are worth listening to.

In yesterday’s (Saturday’s) edition of Brexit Facts4EU.Org, we presented the testimonies of another two highly-successful business people: the Rt Hon Sir John Redwood MP, and Julian Morgan, MD of a very successful manufacturing business in Birmingham.

We would like to reiterate what we wrote yesterday. Positive outlooks like these about our post-Brexit future exist out there in great numbers, and they are to be found in businesses across the country. Sadly they get little exposure from our broadcasters nor by much of the press.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org is proud to present four positive visions from people with real-world experience

This is Part 2 of a Brexit Facts4EU.Org Weekend Special

(Click here if you missed Part 1)

But of course, all you Remainiacs in non-jobs, know much better than hugely successful businessmen.  🙃

Especially Herminge in his allotment potting shed 😜

Jools and Keith Scott turning up as City get hammered. I won't even bother opening their posts as it is pretty obviously trolling of the lowest order.

Just now, Herman said:

Jools and Keith Scott turning up as City get hammered. I won't even bother opening their posts as it is pretty obviously trolling of the lowest order.

I've just posted more benefits of leaving the EU via Facts4eu.org and successful businessmen -- How exactly is that trolling?

How about you coming up with any possible benefits for remaining or rejoining the EU? That would be really novel.

The accounts for Whitehouse Products Ltd don't scream succesful, but then again Jools only cuts and pastes from his comedy web sites, details are a bit too much for him.

Another epic fail.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The accounts for Whitehouse Products Ltd don't scream succesful, but then again Jools only cuts and pastes from his comedy web sites, details are a bit too much for him.

Another epic fail.

But at least he takes his time to find this sh yte

not like others, who spent their previous two hours watching City play 😂

2 hours ago, Jools said:

How about you coming up with any possible benefits for remaining or rejoining the EU? That would be really novel.

The benefits or otherwise of remaining have been done to death here and are now irrelevant as we are leaving 

Rejoining? Possibly the generations to come in 40 or 50 years time might be interested, assuming the EU is still a going concern. I suspect both you and I will be gone from this life by then.

If the UK is reapplying for membership in the next 5 or 10 years it means 2 things. Firstly, Brexit will have failed, and the  UK will be in a right old mess. Secondly, we will almost certainly be required to adopt the euro, join schengen, and not seek any opt outs. This is the stuff that makes brexiteers wet the bed at night 

Edit - The second and third paragraphs assume the EU would approve our application. The first time it took around 15 years or so to get in, as de Gaulle had blocked us.

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The benefits or otherwise of remaining have been done to death here

I have not seen any !

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

I have not seen any !

That's because you're blind, deaf and a cupid stunt. 

Once again a remainer/want to rejoiner has got it wrong !

Give me some benefits, you only need to name four good ones as I did. I bet i could refute them.

5 hours ago, Jools said:

I've just posted more benefits of leaving the EU via Facts4eu.org and successful businessmen -- How exactly is that trolling?

Well you didn't did you, @Jools. What you posted was the arguments used in a referendum four years ago that have been proven to be complete fabrication. There have been none of the amazing trade deals that were promised, instead the UK has picked a fight with the largest trading nation in the world. Far from freeing the UK from red tape Brexit has loaded UK businesses with a massive load that will cost £250 million pound a week. There is therefore no Brexit dividend as they promise. They try to pretend that UK charging tariffs will benefit the government, rather than result in higher prices for UK consumers.

3 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The benefits or otherwise of remaining have been done to death here and are now irrelevant as we are leaving

No, they haven't --- All Remainiacs have offered throughout is procrastination via fear mongering BS they adhere to via the self-interested MSM that we should simply maintain the status quo where the EU is concerned and all that BS has been successfully countered and dismissed for what it is.

Not once have I witnessed a post stating solid reasons for remaining in the EU...

You're right to point out Remainiac irrelevance mind 👍

15 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Well you didn't did you, @Jools. What you posted was the arguments used in a referendum four years ago that have been proven to be complete fabrication. There have been none of the amazing trade deals that were promised, instead the UK has picked a fight with the largest trading nation in the world. Far from freeing the UK from red tape Brexit has loaded UK businesses with a massive load that will cost £250 million pound a week. There is therefore no Brexit dividend as they promise. They try to pretend that UK charging tariffs will benefit the government, rather than result in higher prices for UK consumers.

We've already saved £140 billion by not contributing to the EU's new budget.

Now figure in that £140 billion saved with the £350 million per week we currently pay to be a member...

Believe me, cod-lips, the UK consumer will benefit 🙂

51 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Once again a remainer/want to rejoiner has got it wrong !

Give me some benefits, you only need to name four good ones as I did. I bet i could refute them.

ended roaming charges on phones

the right to receive emergency healthcare in any member state (EHIC card)

the Erasmus programme of university exchanges (benefiting 16000 UK students a year)

the European common arrest warrant

5 hours ago, Bill said:

ended roaming charges on phones

the right to receive emergency healthcare in any member state (EHIC card)

the Erasmus programme of university exchanges (benefiting 16000 UK students a year)

the European common arrest warrant

Galileo project. 

Queueing at airports. 

A stable Northern Ireland. 

Frictionless trade to over half a billion people. 

Food safety standards. 

Edited by Herman

"We've already saved £140 billion by not contributing to the EU's new budget.

Now figure in that £140 billion saved with the £350 million per week we currently pay to be a member..."

The £140 billion figure  is more drug induced nonsense......just say no .

Not forgetting the divorce bill of up  to £39 billion we will be paying.

190708_historic_spending.png.d70496fe9c7de1379defef02bb6b0e65.png.

Edited by MooreMarriot