Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

19 minutes ago, dj11 said:

We have become a country that has a sad aversion to cooperation. Self defeating nonsense.

22 minutes ago, dj11 said:

"project fear... four legs good ......................... baa baa"

every day brings more news of how this nonsense is going to cripple UK business and the country's well being

1 hour ago, Herman said:

We have become a country that has a sad aversion to cooperation. Self defeating nonsense.

The problem is the brexiteers have painted themselves into a corner on this, as they don't want it seen that co-operation is a necessary part of society, and the running of a country.

So we are left with costly mistakes such as mentioned, as well as  the failed track and trace system

Fine, if it is only an ideological belief being exposed as flawed, but this is, and has been, about people in their thousands losing their lives.

Whatever enquiries follow they will not bring back those lives - nor will blind adherence to such stupidity stop more lives, and more money, being lost. An ideology that sees spending a million pound on painting a plane having priority over feeding children.

Because when you have that mindset, then further failures are not a risk - but an inevitability

• Like 1

A day that reminds us that Government's a built around the rule of law - i.e. those in charge are supposed to follow it. Not exploit every loophole they can get away with.

Good to see some pressure coming on the Russia report. Is this relevant to Brexit? Yes because a PM who feels no pressure to do the right thing here (i.e. hiding facts he does not want to be public) is going to do the same thing around trade negotiations too. 

Russia report: UK MPs condemn 'utterly reprehensible' delay Failure to establish key scrutiny committee is also criticised as ‘unprecedented underhand behaviour’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/20/russia-report-uk-mps-condemn-utterly-reprehensible-delay?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Haha 1

"Ministers were told earlier this year they can no longer say there have been “no successful examples” of Russian disinformation affecting UK elections, after the apparent hacking of an NHS dossier seized on by Labour during the last campaign.

Ahead of the election in December, fresh evidence emerged of attempts by a senior Russian diplomat, Sergey Nalobin – who once described the future prime minister as “our good friend” – to infiltrate the Conservatives who spent five years in London cultivating leading Tories. NEW"

No wonder the Tories want to keep this hidden - folk might start asking why the Russkies have made so many large donations to the Tories over past few years

They might also want to look into the funding of Leave, all done, supposedly, by Aaron Banks..... who just happens to have a Russian wife.... who employed Cummings who won't reveal what he was doing in Russia for 3 years

all a coincidence I am sure

• Haha 2

Much, on the deleted thread and on this, including by myself, has been written about Brexit et al. But it is Saturday night; so brevity (or should that be Brexity?) is best. If anyone wants to understand what has happened witth Brexit until now and what will happen with Brexit in the future and with how this Johnson government will deal with any and all problems that face it beyond Brexit then there is a simple answer provided by one name, and that name is Theresa Villiers. Odd but true.

• Haha 1

Is chlorinated chicken seriously your ultimate argument for staying in the EU, Remainiacs? 🤣

• Like 1

Jools you ruined it, I loved watching what happened if you just left the remainers to them selves ,  Turns out all they can do is complain about the country, no wonder they wanted to hang on to the EU.  Now you watch and they will be on here like a swam of flies calling names again.

In the meantime I will remind people of the EU food safety scandals:

Europe’s egg contamination scandal is finally making headlines in Britain after a small batch tainted with a toxic insecticide reached the UK from the Netherlands. On the continent, the situation is worse. Millions of eggs have been withdrawn from sale in Germany, and around 180 Dutch farms have been shut down. The German government has called the scandal a “criminal case”; the Belgian government admitted it knew about the contamination in June but didn’t speak out. It is only the latest in a number of food safety scandals to hit the EU this summer…

Poland – Europe’s biggest poultry exporter – is in a salmonella crisis. By the end of July this year, 29 cases of salmonella from Polish chicken had been reported, compared to a total of 27 during the whole of 2016. Poland’s public health institute says 4,247 patients have been so far treated for salmonella contamination, the highest number for ten years. Calling for more EU regulation isn’t an answer: EU legislators are already stuck in administrative deadlock over the use of formaldehyde to prevent the disease spreading further. The Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed has been considering the question for more than two years…

Meanwhile, the European Food Safety Authority was slammed in an independent report which found it is plagued by financial conflicts of interest. Close to half of the scientists on its expert panel have a financial relationship with one of the firms the EFSA regulates. A study by the Corporate Europe Observatory found: “46% of [EFSA] panel members have at least one financial conflict of interest with a regulated company.” Elected MEPs in the European Parliament have been telling the EFSA to address the problem for four years, but to no avail. What was all that about ‘chlorine chicken’?  🤫🙃😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Is chlorinated chicken seriously your ultimate argument for staying in the EU, Remainiacs? 🤣

Oh dear Jools, getting the wrong end of the stick again. It’s not an argument for remaining in the EU, it’s about a party that said in its manifesto that in its trade deals our high environmental protection, animal welfare and food standards would not be compromised.

🤣🤣🤣

49 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Oh dear Jools, getting the wrong end of the stick again. It’s not an argument for remaining in the EU, it’s about a party that said in its manifesto that in its trade deals our high environmental protection, animal welfare and food standards would not be compromised.

🤣🤣🤣

You eat EU approved chlorinated washed salad and drink chlorinated water every day -- You likely take a dip in a chlorinated pool now and then...

Nay, you don't care about food standards --- It's your ultimate and hopeless argument for staying in the EU.

People, especially The minorities in America, love their KFC chlorinated washed chicken --- They'll like it here too 🙃

Me? I'll continue to opt for the choice of English free-range 👌

To keep what's left of your Remainiac brain ticking, do have any thoughts on why Toyota didn't choose to manufacture in the EU?

😜

What's up Jools? Your hero Nigel Farage got special permission to enter the USA, only to find out that Trump's Million Strong Army was whole bunch of teenagers on TicTok and there are only 10,000 people in the arena? Is that why you are deflecting here?

Did Nigel get to speak at the outdoor overflow event? Of I forgot that was cancelled wasn't it as nobody came.  Hehe he I hear that the President is in a really foul mood. They flew Airforce One over the event hall so he could see how big the crowd was (or not) Over 980,000 cancellations is one hell of a no show. Parscale desperately spinning again I see. 

PArscale.jpg

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

🤣🤣🤣

It's "funny" how they pretend not to understand this.

6 hours ago, Jools said:

You eat EU approved chlorinated washed salad and drink chlorinated water every day -- You likely take a dip in a chlorinated pool now and then...

Nay, you don't care about food standards --- It's your ultimate and hopeless argument for staying in the EU.

People, especially The minorities in America, love their KFC chlorinated washed chicken --- They'll like it here too 🙃

Me? I'll continue to opt for the choice of English free-range 👌

To keep what's left of your Remainiac brain ticking, do have any thoughts on why Toyota didn't choose to manufacture in the EU?

😜

As you probably know, the reason that they clean chicken with chlorinated water is because of the lower standard of hygiene found on poultry farms in the US. This method isn’t totally effective in removing any harmful bacteria but does make it harder to detect, making it potentially harmful to humans. So it’s not the chlorinated water that is objectionable per se but the poor standard of produce that requires it to be used.

BTW I’m not a remainiac-is that your default response to anybody who finds the current Conservative policies objectionable? Is Theresa Villiers a remainiac? Or the 80% who don’t want unlabelled US products in this country? They can’t all be remainiacs, otherwise we wouldn’t be out of the EU.

🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Mr Angry
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Herman said:

Interesting. She is very brexitty as well. 👍

Nice to wake up and see Jools has completely missed all of the points...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Nice to wake up and see Jools has completely missed all of the points...

Deliberately, like Boris?

🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Much, on the deleted thread and on this, including by myself, has been written about Brexit et al. But it is Saturday night; so brevity (or should that be Brexity?) is best. If anyone wants to understand what has happened witth Brexit until now and what will happen with Brexit in the future and with how this Johnson government will deal with any and all problems that face it beyond Brexit then there is a simple answer provided by one name, and that name is Theresa Villiers. Odd but true.

This is not really about chlorinated chicken per se. To explain, Theresa Villiers, as Herman said, is a rock-solid Brexiter. One of the true believers. Daniel ‘Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market’ Hannan called her ‘the unsung hero of Brexit’.

And being a true believer is an absolute requirement for any kind of position in the Johnson government. So Villiers was rewarded with the promise of a place on the powerful Commons Intelligence Committee. Until she defied a three-line whip and voted against lowering food standards to allow a US trade deal with the likes of chlorinated chicken. And was promptly dumped from the Intelligence Committee.

So schadenfreude at poor Theresa being revealed as a useful idiot (one naïve enough I imagine to think that the downsides of Brexit could be limited) to be thrown aside or betrayed once their usefulness is over, but the episode, trivial in itself, says a great deal about Brexit and the real Brexiters, ie those implementing it.

For starters, loyalty even to true believers is entirely disposable, and depends on the prime directive, which is to make Brexit happen, and happen without delay, and no matter what the cost to the country. Because the real Brexiters are not just fanatics but fanatics who govern by symbols.

And one great symbol of Brexit is a trade deal with Washington, even if it will be horrendously one-sided in favour of US industry and farming. Villiers presumably didn’t understand that inconvenient truths and details don’t matter to the real Brexiters. Only the superficial appearance of getting the job done.

Another great symbol is not prolonging the transition period, even though anyone with only half a brain knows, especially with the pandemic, that it is the sensible thing to do. Which is why I have put money on there not being an extension.

But this government by symbols hasn’t just applied to Brexit. The ‘handling’ of the pandemic is another example. And it will continue as long as Boris ‘Garden Bridge’ Johnson is prime minister.

This is not a government in the old meaning, ie one that boringly implements detailed policies to make positive changes (whether those positive changes are beneficial or not is a question) but an insurgency whose default position is to attack the status quo for the sake of attacking the status quo, without much – if any - thought to whether the new order will be better. There was an art movement called Constructivism. Cummings et al are Destructivists.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

What's up Jools? Your hero Nigel Farage got special permission to enter the USA, only to find out that Trump's Million Strong Army was whole bunch of teenagers on TicTok and there are only 10,000 people in the arena? Is that why you are deflecting here?

Did Nigel get to speak at the outdoor overflow event? Of I forgot that was cancelled wasn't it as nobody came.  Hehe he I hear that the President is in a really foul mood. They flew Airforce One over the event hall so he could see how big the crowd was (or not) Over 980,000 cancellations is one hell of a no show. Parscale desperately spinning again I see. 

PArscale.jpg

I'm no fan of Trump, Farage, Brexit or the Conservatives but is this really the right way of going about this? Labelling a rally you don't agree with for "White Supremacists" then praising the Zoomers for doing so.

It won't be kids in Korea voting in 2020, but instead those you attempt to brand as racist for having views far different from our own will surely only up their guard, reject dialogue and further entrench themselves in their position.

This is politics, not a playground, you can't just play up to the internet of crowds at a protest and forget the millions left at home. 

I thought the same over the whole Dominic Cummings thing and his trip to Durham, it should have been ridiculed but not allowed to become a distraction from the fact that we were about to become the country with the highest death toll in Europe, instead all the headlines were about further calls to remove DC - wouldn't surprise me if this was intended and the opposition completely fell for it.

I don't like the Republicans or the Tories but can't deny they massively outperform the left when it comes down to manipulation and strategy

Edited by SteepersCreepers

54 minutes ago, SteepersCreepers said:

I don't like the Republicans or the Tories but can't deny they massively outperform the left when it comes down to manipulation and strategy

Why would they need to 'manipulate ?

What is wrong with the plain truth ?

Something ro hide perhaps ?

"I thought the same over the whole Dominic Cummings thing and his trip to Durham, it should have been ridiculed but not allowed to become a distraction from the fact that we were about to become the country with the highest death toll in Europe, instead all the headlines were about further calls to remove DC - wouldn't surprise me if this was intended and the opposition completely fell for it."

Without doubt this was a bid fat dead cat thrown on the table, but I feel it was one too far and opened a few eyes to what this trumpist nonsense is about. Since they and trump came to power you have to be vigilant but it is very easy to get dragged into the distractions and miss the bigger picture. Dead cats and dog whistling masters these right wing governments but so long as you remember what they are trying to hide is more important.

And as we have found out, they are burying bad news and not just bodies during this disaster.

"I don't like the Republicans or the Tories but can't deny they massively outperform the left when it comes down to manipulation and strategy."

Completely agree with this statement. As the Remain campaign found out, and I am sure Starmer will also find out, if you are not willing to get into the gutter and fight disgustingly dirty, you will have to come up with a much better strategy to defeat them. Simple facts don't work. They are boring to your average voter.

Nope. What you win by lying you can only hold by lying - as both Trump and Johnson are finding out.

The idea that Cummings was a contrived distraction takes absurdity to another level. Given that it would have had to have left wing journalists on the Mirror and Guardian in on it.

They sat on the story for three weeks. Total nonsense ... and from someone who has only just discovered this forum on Friday 🤔

The real point is not to out lie your opposition, but to ask why so many want to be lied to.