Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Michel Barnier: 'Sometimes I hear people in the UK public debate say the EU has unreasonable positions but they’re only unreasonable for those who refuse to accept that Brexit has negative consequences.'

36 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

My understanding of the EU ratifying a deal is that a small regional government  of Belgium can hold it all up at the last minute 

Hence the need to get something agreed ASAP 

More like the ability to get an agreement is highly unlikely, as

"Pushing for a comprehensive and ambitious deal, even if the U.K. plays ball, will make it even harder to complete on time. If the accord goes beyond exclusive EU competences and touches on “mixed” competences that Brussels shares with member countries, then ratification will likely take much longer.

Such mixed agreements require not only the green light from EU governments and the European Parliament but also the approval of some 40 national and regional parliaments across the EU. It’s a process that usually takes years and risks being held up, as was the case with the EU-Canada trade accord that was on the brink of failure in 2016 when the Belgian regional parliament of Wallonia threatened to veto it.

“It will depend a lot on how things are framed,” said Lorand Bartels, a trade law expert at the University of Cambridge. “For example, when we talk about regulations for car emissions — is that purely trade-related or more environmental policy? The latter would stretch into mixed competence.”"

All that will happen on the 1st Jan 2021 is that the UK will find itself about the only country on the globe that is not part of an trade group. Odd that all the rest see it beneficial to be in one group or another, but the UK like N Korea and some out outcast will not be

50 minutes ago, Herman said:

If you have a spare 15 minutes this a great little interview with the children of British Fascist John Beckett. What's it got to do with Brexit? Well.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jw04

a sad end to a delusional life - as is the fate that all too often befalls those who imagine their betters care a **** about them

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, Bill said:

oh dear 🙄

have a read of the bits above where the EU will need from October onward to ratify any deal

all this has to be agreed, so as to put it to the EU, unlike us they expect it to be democratically decided, for them to agree

whatever happens there, the UK does not have the staff or facilities to deal with trade through ports - meanwhile all the trade deals through the EU end, so the UK is out on it's own, having to accept whatever every tom, **** and harry country tells us

as I have said, it is quite clear you have not the slightest idea about any of this - hence your inability to formulate even the most basic of basic replies

Do you really think if we come to a deal at the last minute both sides would go for it coz I do.  

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

What part of the think if we come to a deal at the last minute both sides would go for it coz I do.  

last minute is October leaving a few months left now

whatever happens with the deal, the UK has to use WTO with the rest of the world

Yes or no ?

11 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Do you really think if we come to a deal at the last minute both sides would go for it coz I do.  

Why do you think that the easiest deal in history, as you were promised, is going to go down to the last minute? 

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200403-how-to-overcome-racism-and-tribalism

The fundamental reasön for Brexit. People are inherently racist but rational people suppress it. Four years on and no brexiteer has ever given a rational justification for Brexit. Why?  They don’t have one. They just have their racism. Cummings and his campaign knew it. In the end Brexit is simply racism over reason. 

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The presenter of this programme is called Andrew Bolt.

He's a consevative commentator who has lost racial discrimination cases and defamation cases.

He's an idiot racist, you can see why Swindon agrees with him

18 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The presenter of this programme is called Andrew Bolt.

He's a consevative commentator who has lost racial discrimination cases and defamation cases.

He's an idiot racist, you can see why Swindon agrees with him

More to the point you can see why Swindon has to grasp at something that 'defends' him .rather than address his clueless nonsense about the transition.

Though it does confirm the thought that he is a member of some far right groups, which would explain this sort of ill informed bigoted stuff he posts up on a regular basis.

When you hear ian Duncan Donut et al whinging about the economy remember a couple of things. They loved austerity because it didn't affect them. They love hard Brexit because it won't affect them. 

Covid is hurting them just as much as the rest of us and that is why they want us back out making them money. Don't put your life at risk for these clowns. 

Sky News reports that figures within the government remain confident of a last minute breakthrough. The UK crashing out of the EU without a deal is in the interest of nobody. 

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Patrick Geddis suggests that even if we leave with a no deal Brexit it won't be long before the UK seeks to strike a trade deal with the EU. Crashing out will not be a permanent position.

12 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Sky News reports that figures within the government remain confident of a last minute breakthrough. The UK crashing out of the EU without a deal is in the interest of nobody. 

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Patrick Geddis suggests that even if we leave with a no deal Brexit it won't be long before the UK seeks to strike a trade deal with the EU. Crashing out will not be a permanent position.

oh dear

as explained umpteen times - the UK has neither the staff or the infrastructure to process current levels of trade through UK ports - they will jam up within a day

now why not explain how the UK will be trading with the rest of the world once it loses it's EU trade deals

The only country in the world that is desperate for a trade deal far, far inferior to the one we had. ****ing moronic. 

We already had one with Japan and the US was one of our largest trading partners. Clowns. 

23 hours ago, Herman said:

I wonder if Robert Jenrick's clear corruption will come up in PMQS today? 

Richard Desmond gave the Conservative Party £12k two weeks after this decision. Jenrick to face urgent question today. 

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

We are already trading with the World ! We do not only trade only with the EU.

Dear god, you really are incredibly thick Most of our trading is done through EU trade deals. The moment we properly leave those deals end - which means we have to trade through the WTO

That means renegotiating trade deals with around 70 countries  which will take years. None will have any reason to match what we have now.

And the 'most favoured nation' rule means we really are handicapped in what we can offer, so we will be at the mercy of every tinpot country who will already have better deals through their various trade groups

Why is it. that something so simple and widely understood seems to elude you - the reality of this is a bit too bleak, perhaps ?

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Japan, USA

The EU took seven years to negotiate a free trade deal with Japan. We lose that once we leave - so will have to start all over again, with WTO tariffs - and the EU telling us what schedules we have to use.

Why is it you do not understand any of this ?

I  understand it, are you aware we've been talking trade with japan since Brexit started.

PS Times are changing I notice my mixed grapes from Sainsburys that used to come from Spain and Portugal now come from Chile and Argentina !

Let me try to put it over simply Swindon

You pay to be a member of NCFC which entitles you to pay for your ST as well as giving you a 15% discount on every pub, restuarant take away in the City

However you have got it into your head that if you end that membership, not only will you be able to buy a ticket for each game cheaper, but you won't have the club telling you where you have to sit - and further to that you will be free to visit every single one of those businesses 9above) and negotiate a far better discount than 15%, as an individual

That is as honest and easy as I can explain it - and why the rest of us mock brexiteers for their delusions. There are no sunny uplands, easiest deals, they need us etc - just some extremely wealthy people wanting to remove the protections and benefits that workers across the EU currently enjoy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I  understand it, are you aware we've been talking trade with japan since Brexit started.

PS Times are changing I notice my mixed grapes from Sainsburys that used to come from Spain and Portugal now come from Chile and Argentina !

God, this just gets harder

both those countries trade with the UK through EU trade deals - once the UK leaves those deals will go

so tariffs will have to be applied - and up goes the price

again how is it that you fon't understand this ?

So stop being a complete idiot, Swindon. This from the finacial Times should help to explain it

.'The concept of “most-favoured nation” (MFN) status is hard-wired into the world’s trading rules. It obliges states to treat the same goods alike, regardless of where they come from. So if you lower your tariffs on shirts from one state from 5 to 2 per cent, then you must do the same for everybody else.

Within the EU customs union, Britain enjoys quota-free zero tariffs. Preserving that in a no-deal exit would involve extending those same terms to all 164 WTO members; an outcome that, while lowering certain prices (think food), would also likely dynamite numerous industries wholesale. That’s why many think tariffs would go up, creating extra costs and bottlenecks. '"

So far from being free', the UK would be as free as a man jumping off a cruise liner because he thinks he can swim faster on his own.

The MFN rules will stifle. if not cripple the UK, by removing its ability to set tariffs as it sees fit ie what it agrees with one it has to agree with all. It will be open season on UK producers, farmers etc

And that applies irrespective of what deal is struck with the EU.

Why can't you grasp this basic fact - or is the Financial Times lying now ?

21 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

And not for the better it seems - if you had even the slightest awareness of the impact on the climate of flying grapes half way round the world then you wouldn't touch them with a barge pole ☹️

37 minutes ago, Bill said:

God, this just gets harder

both those countries trade with the UK through EU trade deals - once the UK leaves those deals will go

so tariffs will have to be applied - and up goes the price

again how is it that you fon't understand this ?

When we trade with the rest of the world, we will get the ceapest price

45 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Have you heard of seasons? 

42 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You really are a thick **** SWINDO. When they are out of season in Spain and Portugal we get them from Argentina and Chile, and other places. We always have, we trade with the world

• Haha 1