Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

15 hours ago, BigFish said:

@SwindonCanary, you may well feel vindicated, that you have somehow "won" and that may make you feel better about yourself. The curious thing is that you continue with the argument, why is that?

The Conservative Party has been remade in the image of the Brexit Party, they won a GE to give them an 80 seat majority and they have taken the UK out of the EU but you still need to fight these arguments. Us Remainers have largely moved on, it is you who is stuck in the past. Strangely, it is you that demonstrates the bitterness.

I cannot begin to understand why this would be the case when it appears you have everything you wanted. Perhaps it is because it is not quite what was promised, quite what you believed. The "easiest trade deal in history" looks unlikely to happen, it looks like the EU "doesn't need us more than we need them" and there will be a border down the Irish Sea. There is no likely deal with the US and if there is it is calculated to be of little benefit to the UK but a very high cost. The EU isn't collapsing even under the pressure of the virus, the "vast contribution" the UK was supposedly making turns out to be chicken feed, it seems the EU can shut down freedom of movement if it wishes and Turkey shows no sign of joining. Even your precious Honda are packing up and leaving Swindon.

So what happens now? What is the great global Britain that Johnson/Conservatives/Brexit Party will deliver. What is the plan? It is not going very well is it? Ever get the feeling you've been cheated.

All true Big Fish. 

And as much as I respect female politicians, I remain utterly speechless about Joe Swinson's role in pushing for a General Election when Boris was on the hook over the WA back in October. There was enough rope for the Tories to hang themselves, revealing their incompetence with each step, yet she provided an off ramp. 

But we are where we are. I suspect this current pathetic performance over CoronaVirus will at least provide Starmer with an opening, not to prevent Brexit, but to prevent the hard Brexit that Boris seems to want. Having created opportunity to question the Government and not be accused of "project fear" he can now probe on key subjects like - customs officers; we need 50,000 and where are they? Is this like PPE where the Government has not prepared, and what else has not been prepared? What's happening with FTA negotiations with the US. Why are talks being kept secret from the British public, what assurances are there UK farmers are not being abandoned, and the NHS is not being sold down the river by having to pay US level drug prices? 

So Brexit has a very a long way to go yet.. hold tight everyone as it will not be a fun ride. And I hope for all our sakes that Donald Trump does not engineer a repeat win, and this nationalist nightmare can blow over. 

• Like 1

It's not a prediction. It's what we are currently living through. 

On 14/05/2020 at 22:38, Van wink said:

"A flagship Nissan plant in Sunderland could be used to make Renault vehicles as part of a deal between the two car-making behemoths - boosting  the fortunes of thousands of British workers.

The two companies - which operate under global strategic alliance - have opened talks to transfer production of the Renault Kadjar and Captur models from Spain to the North-East as part of a wider shake-up of global operations.

Renault is mulling plans to dramatically cut its vehicle range, axing its Espace minivan in a €2bn (£1.8bn) cost-saving plan to be unveiled later this month."

On 15/05/2020 at 10:47, Rock The Boat said:

But this is impossible!! The Remainers told us so!

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/nissan-backs-sunderland-plant-announces-18322137

Doesn't look like Sunderland is getting any new models.

Mr Uchida said: “We will maintain core manufacturing in Sunderland and also improve efficiences."

A big positive is that they didn't announce any job losses.

24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/nissan-backs-sunderland-plant-announces-18322137

Doesn't look like Sunderland is getting any new models.

Mr Uchida said: “We will maintain core manufacturing in Sunderland and also improve efficiences."

A big positive is that they didn't announce any job losses.

French government 5 billion euro emergency loan to Renault may have something to do with that

Marvelous. That will cover up the thousands of unnecessary deaths in the UK and US. 

What have you got to hide the border that you have placed in our own country and the loss of freedom of movement for future generations? 

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Yet another prediction of doom !

I will make a prediction SWINDO She is never coming back.

On 27/05/2020 at 17:26, Herman said:

Not for the better though. 

Well that depends on your view point

By the way ,the nationalist surge is still very much growing

France, Italy or maybe even Sweden next.

If the centrist society was so Marvelous, why then did it come with record numbers on anti depressants?

It seems, you think that the centrists are decent people and the nationalists are not.

You are right and they are not

If this was the case and you lot were so fantastic, then why are we here?

We're going to win so much, we'll get tired of winning! A bold statement, but so far true 

You lot are arrogant 🙂

So you've gone from voting remain to cheering on nationalists. What happened to you? 

@Herman

Now I don't restrict myself to people or places that agree with me, I will quite often take the opposite view, sometimes just for the entertainment:) sometimes because I think differently.

One thing I've noticed is there is a lot of agreement, more than you think.

Both think the media is against them, both think the elite is against them. In fact in many ways, we are one, we have just been divided into factions ,which of course is how the elite keep power. I'm not for one second saying that we agree on everything, that would be weird and unhealthy.

Please take some time to look at rebel wisdom, they are ex mainstream media ( from the left)

It will give you an insight into how the system works 

They talk to people on both sides without prejudice, it's refreshing. Give it a go .

Edited by Bagster

10 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

"She is never coming back"           who ?

Have you forgotten her name already SWINDO? ask "S" he will tell you. And he will not tell you your imaginary internet girlfriends name because we all know the she was just a figment of your very dull imagination..dont we liar?

41 minutes ago, Bagster said:

@Herman

Now I don't restrict myself to people or places that agree with me, I will quite often take the opposite view, sometimes just for the entertainment:) sometimes because I think differently.

One thing I've noticed is there is a lot of agreement, more than you think.

Both think the media is against them, both think the elite is against them. In fact in many ways, we are one, we have just been divided into factions ,which of course is how the elite keep power. I'm not for one second saying that we agree on everything, that would be weird and unhealthy.

Please take some time to look at rebel wisdom, they are ex mainstream media ( from the left)

It will give you an insight into how the system works 

They talk to people on both sides without prejudice, it's refreshing. Give it a go .

OMG, they are bonkers, they claim to be 'driven by a great intellectual awakening.' .

9 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

Have you forgotten her name already SWINDO? ask "S" he will tell you. And he will not tell you your imaginary internet girlfriends name because we all know the she was just a figment of your very dull imagination..dont we liar?

You daft plonker, I've all ready told you about her (have you forgotten already) the girl I posted straight after I logged back in  is call Pearl Try to pay attention !

On 28/05/2020 at 16:28, Herman said:

Marvelous. That will cover up the thousands of unnecessary deaths in the UK and US. 

What have you got to hide the border that you have placed in our own country and the loss of freedom of movement for future generations? 

What the Government have done is save thousands of jobs with the furlough Scheme. maybe you are on it !

18 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You daft plonker, I've all ready told you about her (have you forgotten already) the girl I posted straight after I logged back in  is call Pearl Try to pay attention !

SWINDO. We are not talking about your imaginary girlfriend you thick prat. You were the last to know, which proves to me  how much of a FVCKWIT you really are.

images.jpg

14 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

SWINDO. We are not talking about your imaginary girlfriend you thick prat. You were the last to know, which proves to me  how much of a FVCKWIT you really are.

images.jpg

so who's coming back ?   Think about it !

Edited by SwindonCanary

Coronavirus is obscuring much about the future of the EU – and Britain’s relationship with it. Not everyone is joining the dots, but business is. And this means the decision for a no-deal Brexit is being taken outside of the official negotiations.

Nissan unveiled its global restructuring this week after making a £5 billion net loss in the last financial year. It will close its Barcelona factory with a loss of 2,800 jobs while the Spanish government has said this was the end of Nissan’s manufacturing in Europe. And so it is if Europe means the EU. For Nissan also announced that the future of its UK plant in Sunderland was secure. Why is this significant? If we cast our minds back to a pre-Covid world, on 3 February the Financial Times carried a headline ‘Nissan drafts plan to double down on UK under hard Brexit’. According to the leak from two individuals involved in the discussions, in the event of a hard Brexit and UK-EU tariffs on car exports, the Japanese carmaker would concentrate on boosting its 4 per cent UK market share to 20 per cent.

In reality, each Brexit negotiator is merely going through the motions

Meanwhile, the ailing French vehicle manufacturer Renault, in which the French state has a 15 per cent share-holding, has announced the closure of three plants in France and thousands of job losses. Renault, it should be remembered, is in a choppy alliance with Nissan that the Carlos Ghosn affair worsened. Given that Renault was about to receive €5 billion (£4.5 billion) of state funding as part of France’s coronavirus bail-out, the French government and president Macron were up in arms. Adding insult to injury, it has been suggested that restructuring could involve shifting production of the Nissan Micra from Renault France to Nissan Sunderland. Such an eventuality would have the additional blow of demonstrating in Macron’s eyes that Brexit could be a winner. Yet it seems that in the Nissan case and doubtless many more, despite the public protestations, business was embracing a no-deal Brexit

The EU has suspended its state aid and competition rules, opening the flood-gates to member-state bail-outs of national business champions. Air France will receive €7 billion (£6.3 billion) and Lufthansa €9 billion (£8.1 billion). This, of course, unfairly rigs the European airline market in favour of failing airlines to the detriment of their ‘frugal’ counterparts. It also blows a hole in the EU dogma and insistence on a ‘level-playing field’ in a Brexit trade deal, as Matthew Lynn recently pointed out on Coffee House. The EU is all too conscious of this and how it will take years to roll back state aid. The Commission is attempting to salvage some of its principles by insisting that in exchange Lufthansa must give up a few slots at some European airports, while Air France should comply with the European Green Deal by abandoning domestic routes with less than a two-and-a-half-hour journey time. This is merely the tip of the iceberg for European members state aid. Either the ‘level playing field’ mantra is dropped in what is left of the negotiations, or more likely June becomes the semi-official date for a no-deal Brexit.

The EU’s recently agreed €750 billion (£675 billion) coronavirus bail-out and debt mutualisation package is a further decision taken outside the official Brexit negotiations that consecrates a no-deal outcome. Even if the EU package is eventually trimmed back by the frugal northern states, the UK cannot risk acceding to an extension for fear of having to continue paying into the new and dramatically increased EU 2021-27 budget from 1 January. Furthermore, the Commission – habitually more punitive of the UK than the Council – will have its powers dramatically increased to cover tax-raising and oversight of national expenditure. So not only would the UK be liable for some eye-watering budgetary contributions but it would also be caught by new taxes that could inter alia hit the City of London, such as the long-mooted tax on European financial transactions. This makes Michel Barnier’s statement this week that the EU is open to a two-year extension risible.

Finally, back to the side-show of the official Brexit negotiations. After Britain’s chief negotiator’s broadside of a letter a few weeks ago on the need for the EU negotiators to get real, David Frost added a further nail to the negotiation's coffin. On 27 May, he announced that a fishing deal with the EU would be ‘very difficult’. But in reality, each Brexit negotiator is merely going through the motions. The pointilliste dots of individual decisions made elsewhere clearly paint a no-deal Brexit picture.

WRITTEN BYJohn Keiger

John Keiger is a professor of French history and former Research Director of the Department of Politics and International Studies at the University of Cambridge

No they aren't. Nothing is confirmed and plans are still in develpoment.

A note to the pro-Brexit crowd. 

The whole point of a no deal Brexit is to give competitive advantage to business in the UK. 

Oh shock, horror. Isn’t that good for Britain? No it isn’t - it’s good for the business owner but not so much for the people of the UK, because of WHY post Brexit is better for business. 

The people being sold out are YOU. Your wages, your unemployment, your public healthcare, your green spaces, your environment. 

So yes you may find an example here or there that shows a multinational company comparing two loss making plants and keeping the UK one, but that is a victory only on the margins. 

The real game is afoot elsewhere, and that is why Boris isn’t going to fire Cummings, at least not until no deal is in the bag - hence the 6 months quote. We had all better hope that President Trump is perceived to be heading for an electoral wipe out as it may be the only thing that will stop this market fundamentalist train. 

Interesting read- take from it what you will

https://99-percent.org/what-is-the-market-fundamentalist-agenda/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

No they aren't. Nothing is confirmed and plans are still in develpoment.

According to that report, the plans are that are still  development is to expanded the Sunderland plant. 

🎶Always look on the bright side of life 🎶

WORTH A WATCH

Edited by SwindonCanary

Oh FFS! Darren Grimes interviews Julia Hartley Brewer. I'm off to stick my arm in a mangle.

32 minutes ago, Herman said:

Oh FFS! Darren Grimes interviews Julia Hartley Brewer. I'm off to stick my arm in a mangle.

I'M GUESSING YOU DID NOT WATCH IT. Maybe if you did, you would not be so left wing.

And also did not read the North east News, if you turn a blind eye to everything you will never learn.

Edited by SwindonCanary