Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It looks a strange idea but financially these companies are saving on not having to have warehouses and extra logistics. Factory to factory is cost effective.

And extremely vulnerable. I think it was some wizard accounting idea to provide a one-off boost to a company balance sheet.

It's like having no savings. As someone who's been effectively self-employed for most of my life my first priority was to always have a (sensibly sized) money reservoir to fall back on.

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Extra costs in terms of time, money & bureaucracy that isn't there already. Greater friction at borders, queues etc.

All negative. Yes it hits the EU too, but it hits the UK proportionally harder.

This is the choice the UK government is making, not one the EU is imposing

That is the So What

Deja vu is happening again ...

This was the crux of the original argument: possible economic loss vs. gain in national agency.

We all made our own choices.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

So, it seems that we have established then that for the EU the price to be paid for frictionless trade is that we observe EU standards.   This is at odds where you said it was not the EU demanding that we meet EU standards but the UK consumer.

Yes to the first sentence, quite obviously, because unless we & the EU operate to the same standards then each of us must check our imports to verify that they meet our local standards.

No to the second sentence, the EU are only demanding alignment on standards if we want frictionless trade - as has been stated many times other types of trade agreement, with varying levels of friction, are also available - and UK consumers have consistently been opposed to the import of sub-standard and/or genetically modified food.

58 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

And extremely vulnerable. I think it was some wizard accounting idea to provide a one-off boost to a company balance sheet.

It's like having no savings. As someone who's been effectively self-employed for most of my life my first priority was to always have a (sensibly sized) money reservoir to fall back on.

The actual origins of JIT are slightly more historically interesting than some bean counters wheeze. It was something to do with Japan's post war regeneration, lack of space, resources etc. and it snowballed from there.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

The actual origins of JIT are slightly more historically interesting than some bean counters wheeze. It was something to do with Japan's post war regeneration, lack of space, resources etc. and it snowballed from there.

Basically it saves costs all along the chain ... less capital held in stock, warehousing etc. Allows more cost effective efficient manufacturing and hence more competitive products.

Think of the whole JIT supply chain as just one long conveyor belt factory manufacturing an end product and then it should be obvious why it can't work if there are customs and border breaks that throw metaphorical spanners in the works... hence the dire warnings about the consequences.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Basically it saves costs all along the chain ... less capital held in stock, warehousing etc. Allows more cost effective efficient manufacturing and hence more competitive products.

Think of the whole JIT supply chain as just one long conveyor belt factory manufacturing an end product and then it should be obvious why it can't work if there are customs and border breaks that throw metaphorical spanners in the works... hence the dire warnings about the consequences.

Local supply chains JIT

Edited by Van wink

38 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Local supply chains JIT

It's a question of scale for the product being made. Works just fine in any large manufacuring economic block. China, USA, Japan and EU. That probably willI now exclude the UK as too small 

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It's a question of scale for the product being made. Works just fine in any large manufacuring economic block. China, USA, Japan and EU. That probably willI now exclude the UK as too small 

Do you have any research to show that local supply chains can’t satisfy a JIT production model in the U.K.?

50 minutes ago, Herman said:

I remember reading the rationale behind the whole idea, a lot of which was eminently sensible stuff about efficiency & best practice. For some reason the doing away with stock was the only part widely adopted over here ..

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Do you have any research to show that local supply chains can’t satisfy a JIT production model in the U.K.?

Let me guess

You think its easier to replace all the EU JIT supply chains with UK ones as opposed to what the car makers themselves have suggested ... that they will retreat from the UK.

Good luck with that. They all have their very public plan B in place.

Fancy a Nedcar mini?

There is a longer answer which I hinted at. Question of scale. If you are a widget maker you usually supply more than 1 supply chain (it would be foolish otherwise) ergo you supply several end users or JIT chains. Thst means you are cheaper and more competitive than a smaller (local) supplier. Given that the UK market is quite small in comparison to the EU and potentially outside any 'friction free' zone it would make little sense for such a large widget maker to be based in the UK unless they had some very specific reasons.

Of course small JIT schemes can exist for niche or smaller manufacturers anywhere.

All about economies of scale.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Ought to add. With our own supply chains (Japan, Nerherlands and Germany as well as Uk) it always good practice to have second sources in case of issues like Brexit..
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Now in what way was the abuse called for?

So, it seems that we have established then that for the EU the price to be paid for frictionless trade is that we observe EU standards.   

This is at odds where you said it was not the EU demanding that we meet EU standards but the UK consumer.

Is it your understanding that the EUs current stance is that if we want no checks then we must obey EU standards both in what we make and in what we import (whether for UK consumption or re export)?  If so, do you think that if we cannot agree with this then the level of checks will be based on the level of divergence ?.

Do the EU want us to accept ECJ jurisdiction I'm trade disputes, if not what are they proposing as an alternative (if anything)?

Your post pretty much answers you first question all by itself.

So, it seems that we have established then that for the EU the price to be paid for frictionless trade is that we observe EU standards.   

This is at odds where you said it was not the EU demanding that we meet EU standards but the UK consume

With this two sentences you misrepresent what I wrote, either deliberately or accidentally. Yes frictionless trade would require that the UK follows all aspects of EU regulations in the respective areas of trade and could also prove this to be the case. Anything less requires that quality assurance would be required  at the very least. Outside the locus of any FTA the UK would be able to apply lower standards if it choose to. UK consumers (and voters) could then decide if the lower standards are acceptable. So not at odds at all, the question for the negotiation is only about the locus of control.

The EU is not insisting that the UK accepts ECJ juridiction, only that the ECJ will be the ultimate arbiter for EU law, as the Supreme Court will be for UK law. What the government is proposing is that there will be dispute resolution processes and bodies in each trade area, so the UK can pretend it has regained sovereignity. I don't know what the EU want, but the more sensible, and usual, approach is to have a single dispute resolution mechanism.

32 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Over the last few days I've been called GWAIN ? Swindo, a pathetic little fantasist,village idiot,****hole as well as telling lies.

Beware ! https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/abuse-online-law-police-social-media-harassment-review-commission-criminal-offences-a8610811.html

Seeing you try and defend the nonsense you post and claim you're being harassed would be hilarious.  🤣

23 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Seeing you try and defend the nonsense you post and claim you're being harassed would be hilarious.  🤣

Try pointing out a nonsense post !

How about we avoid the distraction of arguing if   someone is stupid or thick or racist? 

Lets get back to facts or analysis of projections.

45 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Try pointing out a nonsense post !

Here's one.

"Over the last few days I've been called GWAIN ? Swindo, a pathetic little fantasist,village idiot,****hole as well as telling lies.

Beware ! https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/abuse-online-law-police-social-media-harassment-review-commission-criminal-offences-a8610811.html"

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Over the last few days I've been called GWAIN ? Swindo, a pathetic little fantasist,village idiot,****hole as well as telling lies.

Beware ! https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/abuse-online-law-police-social-media-harassment-review-commission-criminal-offences-a8610811.html

You’ll probably be cautioned for telling someone to get “it into their thick scull” (or skull if you can spell properly)

35 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

You’ll probably be cautioned for telling someone to get “it into their thick scull” (or skull if you can spell properly)

I thought Swindon was making a valid and pertinent rowing comparison with metaphorical possibilities as far as Brexit and a future trade deal is concerned between clinker-built sculls and carvel-built sculls, with the former by definition being thicker and less smooth because of the overlapping nature of their construction, and so slower through the water.

So the smoothly slimline carvel scull stands for a highly-aligned and so frictionless trade deal, while the thick clinker scull represents an unaligned and  frictionful deal. Or am I reading too much into Swindon's post?

• Haha 3

On 02/03/2020 at 08:07, SwindonCanary said:

What exactly is the mighty EU doing to help Italy and Greece ? There are thousands of economic migrants heading for Europe, the migrants are cutting through wire to gain entry to Greece. Italy needs urgent financial assistance during this dreadful crisis. The EU does precisely nothing.

There you go, they listened to your complaint.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/03/migration-eu-praises-greece-as-shield-after-turkey-opens-border

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I thought Swindon was making a valid and pertinent rowing comparison with metaphorical possibilities as far as Brexit and a future trade deal is concerned between clinker-built sculls and carvel-built sculls, with the former by definition being thicker and less smooth because of the overlapping nature of their construction, and so slower through the water.

So the smoothly slimline carvel scull stands for a highly-aligned and so frictionless trade deal, while the thick clinker scull represents an unaligned and  frictionful deal. Or am I reading too much into Swindon's post?

Some landlubber posters may be unaware of this crucial difference in boat-building, but Swindon is of course a former member of the Royal Navy, the senior service, and so stands in that great British naval tradition of Drake, Frobisher, Nelson and Captain Pugwash. Hardly surprising then that he used his vast nautical knowledge to illustrate a key Brexit point:

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "clinker built vs carvel built images"

• Haha 2

Now a days I would be called dyslectic, but they missed it at school and I still got my 'A' Grades and made it into the Navy where they soon saw I had an aptitude for mechanics and it's been on the up since 😉

Any chance you could summarize what he was babbling on about Swindon? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Now a days I would be called dyslectic, but they missed it at school and I still got my 'A' Grades and made it into the Navy where they soon saw I had an aptitude for mechanics and it's been on the up since 😉

That’s fair enough if you’re dyslexic.

Whats the excuse for your ignorance and general idiocy though?!

25 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

That’s fair enough if you’re dyslexic.

Whats the excuse for your ignorance and general idiocy though?!

Ignorance and idiocy is what people like you have been showing over the last 3 years, All I've been promoting is that we should leave the EU. And it looks like most of the voters are no my side. (no doubt a remianer will try to prove it wrong)

We've already pointed out that the minority of Britons voted for this brexitty government, so no, most voters aren't on your side.