Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Larry the Cat still in a job

Cummings is just waiting for him to step out of line. 😂

Apples

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

I'd take a very safe bet that his idea of Boris leaving on WTO terms is similar nonsense.

I suspect you are right

46 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

They say a week is a long time in politics, clearly an hour on internet forums is also long.

image.png.126d3412136cf9a41e95c5df81cfca8c.png

image.png.1debd42d1b1ee5f57e4ecbc35d0efbd5.png

It is clear from the speed with which Johnson named the successor that he wanted and/or expected Javid to resign.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is clear from the speed with which Johnson named the successor that he wanted and/or expected Javid to resign.

Not necessarily so, as I understand Sunak was slated for promotion when the Johnson plan was to scrap some departments and reshape government. This then changed to a less ambitious reshuffle and Sunak was being positioned as Johnson's enforcer in the Treasury e.g. to make Javid do what Johnson wanted. From that we can assume Johnson expected Javid to suck it up and swallow his principles. Looks like he found a backbone much to everyone's surprise.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yep, he's been a useful fool for the liar for the last few months but clearly his usefulness has passed, so its time to bring in someone who will accept Cummings' orders without quibbling at all - which let's face it is going to be necessary since they need to unearth several magic money trees very quickly!

• Like 1

They got their puppet into the treasury. There is no one to stop them promising massive spending. Which will sound good for a while. 

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

They got their puppet into the treasury. There is no one to stop them promising massive spending. Which will sound good for a while. 

Interesting times, Herman, interesting times. It looks like they are going to give the magic money tree a good shake and I for one would have no problem with increased investment in the countries rather shabby social fabric paid for by tax rises and increased borrowing. It makes a lie of the last 10 years of Tory economic mismanagement and everything failed banker @paul moy believes about economics. It will upset our resident dry as a bone economic liberal @Jools so that is a bonus. Though of course this is what Johnson says he is going to do............

23 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Not necessarily so, as I understand Sunak was slated for promotion when the Johnson plan was to scrap some departments and reshape government. This then changed to a less ambitious reshuffle and Sunak was being positioned as Johnson's enforcer in the Treasury e.g. to make Javid do what Johnson wanted. From that we can assume Johnson expected Javid to suck it up and swallow his principles. Looks like he found a backbone much to everyone's surprise.

Normally if a PM has planned a reshuffle that doesn't involve the chancellor or the home secretary (to an extent also the foreign Secretary - actually who is our Foreign Secretary?!) and one of them resigns unexpectedly it means quite a hurried reshuffle of the reshuffle. BF, I take the point that in this case Johnson could move Sunak into place without disturbing the reshuffle much at all.

But given the bad blood between No. 10 and Javid (George Parker had a good piece in the FT recently on just how poisonous and personal things had become) I would say Johnson may well at least half-wanted Javid to develop a backbone.

• Like 1

I remember a wedding speech in which the best man said "as a husband, you get the final two words in any argument - 'Yes Dear' "

The same sentiment seems to apply to cabinet positions these days.

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Brian Blessed looks to have been kicked out as well. 

To be replaced by Suella Bravermann FFS. 

"A genuinely terrible appointment. I worked with her on a inquiry to secure EU citizens' rights, and she then voted against the results of the inquiry. Untrustworthy and untalented."

Steve Peers.

"I know nothing about Suella Braverman until 5 minutes ago but 5 minutes googling (in this thread) has led me to the conclusion that human rights and Judicial Review are being lined up for the chopping block.

Like Grayling before her, she has been appointed to push through ideological justice reforms"

Adam Wagner.

Edited by Herman

I learned today that yesterday in Strasbourg, MEPs voted by 543 to 39 in favour of a motion which would destroy any hope of a reasonable EU-UK trade deal by the end of this year --- The EU Parliament voted to demand full UK subservience or no trade deal.

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_feb_eu_fanatics

I also learned today that 2019 was a record-breaking year for British exports, with a 13.6 per cent increase in exports to non-EU countries on the year before, while the trade deficit with the EU has widened...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/december2019#the-trade-in-goods-deficit-widened-with-eu-countries-but-narrowed-with-non-eu-countries-in-2019

So our trade deficit with the EU has widened -- Currently the EU faces an acrimonious summit over budget disputes -- The poorer countries are demanding richer states pay more to close gap caused by Brexit -- Diplomats are warning that EU efforts to clinch a budget deal this month risk being derailed by widening divisions between rival camps of member states -- Richer EU governments now face demands to stump up more money to fund new priorities such as climate change and avoid cuts to prized agricultural subsidies via catch-up spending for poorer regions etc etc....

And the EU Parliament demands full UK subservience or no trade deal?  🤪😀

15 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Did you think they would extend it ?

No, I am just giving you a definite date. Maybe with your expert engineering knowledge you'll be able to find your neighbours a new job by then.

14 minutes ago, Jools said:

All four Great Offices of State are in the hands of utter twats!  👍

🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jools said:

All four Great Offices of State are in the hands of Brexiteers!  👍

Balance is entirely overrated.🙄

1 hour ago, Jools said:

All four Great Offices of State are in the hands of Brexiteers!  👍

8 hours ago, TCCANARY said:

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

No, I am just giving you a definite date. Maybe with your expert engineering knowledge you'll be able to find your neighbours a new job by then.

I'm shocked. Given his level of insider expert knowledge, and his cast iron assurances it wouldn't close, I thought Swindo's conclusion that Brexit would have no impact on it was absolutely resolute and infallible

All four Great Offices of State are in the hands of Brexiteers! 

A narcissist, a psychopath, a halfwit and a puppet all being controlled by a sociopath. Somehow, I don't think it is going to end well.