Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

40 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Deal?

Or no deal?

Which one is it, Jools?

🤔

Now that the UK has regained its WTO seat after 47 years of being represented by the EU, I'd allow a bespoke deal with the latter, if only for the sake of my friends who are unfortunate enough to still be resident in EU countries.

Edited by Jools

It looks to me as if there's only 3 of us leavers on here, which means we are massively out numbered (unlike the whole of Britain)

Don't worry guy it will all turn out okay for us. 

16 minutes ago, Jools said:

Now that the UK has regained its WTO seat after 47 years of being represented by the EU, I'd allow a bespoke deal with the latter, if only for the sake of my friends who are unfortunate enough to still be resident in EU countries.

Excellent 

A good deal with the EU. I agree 👍

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

It looks to me as if there's only 3 of us leavers on here, which means we are massively out numbered (unlike the whole of Britain)

Don't worry guy it will all turn out okay for us. 

There have been more than 3 "leavers" on this thread 

14 minutes ago, Jools said:

Actually I have been listening to an interview with Karen Pierce, the new UK Ambassador to the US, who said she joined the FO in 1981 and was involved in trade negotiations with Japan in her early years.  The UK didn't cede trade negotiations responsibilities to the EU until later in our EU membership (I'm not sure when precisely). 

Much of the abdication of activities is overdone - the EU absolute control isn't as old as our EEC membership.

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

May not be the best decision but with more money in the coffers thanks to leaving the EU, we can afford it. 

We're still paying.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8039

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1238838/Brexit-news-EU-Commission-Brexit-bill-UK-trade-deal-latest-update

(Why are brexiters always erupting in fury?)😀

Because being "p*ssed off  / getting back at" the  "liberals / elite / globalists" is their political brand Herman.

When you only have one thing to sell, you keep on selling it even when it's way past its sell by date. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Because being " p*ssed off  / getting back at  "at the " liberals / elite / globalists " is their political brand Herman.

I'll never understand it. None of us went out of our way to **** them off. We're all normal people just wanting to earn a decent wage, look after our families and lead a decent life. And being liberal means I want everyone to be able to enjoy their lives as much as possible, whatever ****, religion, colour etc they are. I don't do this to wind people up it just seems sensible and civilised way to live.They go on about the elite while simultaneously siding with billionaires, posh boys, lords and businessmen. Even after all of Len's "explanations" I've never figured out who the globalists are.

As I say I'll never understand why some of them are always angry and I doubt they can explain it either.

• Like 1

Is it just me that notices Johnson falling over himself to splash the cash (all which could of been done within the EU) to get a good news story and to distract the gullible from the really daily bad news on the lack of 'frictionless' trade, NI-GB customs border, EU trade negotiations and all the other Brexit porkies coming home to roost with 'Return to Sender'

What did an old Tory MP once tell me - The mushroom treatment - Keep them in the dark and pour on BS. The old trick still works it seems!

• Like 1

I'm sure Joules won't mind me nicking from Guido's site the commentary on Lord Ashcroft's report into why Labour lost the last election, which has just been published.

It makes grisly reading for you lefties, and more to the point, the current noises and in-fighting currently going on in that party suggests nothing has been learned at all.

Lord Ashcroft has published an extensive new report this morning examining Labour’s worst election defeat since 1935. Polling and focus groups looked particularly closely at those who voted Labour in 2017 but not in 2019, and compares their reasons for switching away from Labour with party members’ understanding of why they lost. Summarising the report, Lord Ashcroft said:

“As far as many of these former supporters were concerned, then, the Labour Party they rejected could not be trusted with the public finances, looked down on people who disagreed with it, was too left-wing, failed to understand or even listen to the people it was supposed to represent, was incompetent, appallingly divided, had no coherent priorities, did not understand aspiration or where prosperity comes from, disapproved of their values and treated them like fools.”

Guido has compiled some of the juiciest nuggets:

• Labour members think Jeremy Corbyn was the “best Labour Leader of recent times”. Brits in general think Tony Blair was.
  • Though many voted to get Brexit done, this did not mean they would necessarily now switch back to Labour. The principle that the party had refused to listen to them and implement the referendum result was at least as serious for defectors as the issue of Brexit itself.
  • Contrary to Labour’s official inquiry, Jeremy Corbyn was a major reason for Labour’s loss of support.
  • Many people in focus groups described the 2019 Labour manifesto as “pie in the sky.”
  • Amongst defectors, Labour is seen as now mostly for students, the unemployed, and “middle-class radicals.”
  • Most defectors did not rule out returning to Labour in the future if the party changed. Many emphasised that they would now take each election as it comes.
  • Labour defectors have a different understanding of why Labour lost.

Screenshot-2020-02-11-08.59.59.png?resiz

8 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Is it just me that notices Johnson falling over himself to splash the cash (all which could of been done within the EU) to get a good news story and to distract the gullible from the really daily bad news on the lack of 'frictionless' trade, NI-GB customs border, EU trade negotiations and all the other Brexit porkies coming home to roost with 'Return to Sender'

What did an old Tory MP once tell me - The mushroom treatment - Keep them in the dark and pour on BS. The old trick still works it seems!

It's all rather Trumpian isn't it. Distractions, sacks of dead cats and misleading information. 

9 hours ago, Herman said:

I'll never understand it. None of us went out of our way to **** them off. We're all normal people just wanting to earn a decent wage, look after our families and lead a decent life. And being liberal means I want everyone to be able to enjoy their lives as much as possible, whatever ****, religion, colour etc they are. I don't do this to wind people up it just seems sensible and civilised way to live.They go on about the elite while simultaneously siding with billionaires, posh boys, lords and businessmen. Even after all of Len's "explanations" I've never figured out who the globalists are.

As I say I'll never understand why some of them are always angry and I doubt they can explain it either.

As you know Herman, I am much the same, I fear that most of them fall into the I'm alright Jack category, and most of them seem blind to any consequences of the what they endorse. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jools said:

Well, Brexit aside, he's made some sh@t decisions thus far, I'll give you that.

HS2 being the latest.

I have been wondering what you thought of Johnson to date @Jools and I thought you wouldn't be 100% supportive of how it has been going. The small state, low tax Tory Party seems in full retreat, replaced by a big spending activist one. The budget in March will be decisive, expecting tax rises in areas where they haven't commited against them.

Edited by BigFish
grammar

3 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

As you know Herman, I am much the same, I fear that most of them fall into the I'm alright Jack category, and most of them seem blind to any consequences of the what they endorse. 

If the ones on here are anything to go by they are pretty much insulated from any fall out. Retired, kids have grown up and gone, houses paid off. They'll get what they want but sod the rest. 

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

If the ones on here are anything to go by they are pretty much insulated from any fall out. Retired, kids have grown up and gone, houses paid off. They'll get what they want but sod the rest. 

We could always vote Labour as they will take everything from everybody and leave us all poor. 

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

I have been wondering what you thought of Johnson to date @Jools and I thought you wouldn't be 100% supportive of how it has been going. The small state, low tax Tory Party seems in full retreat, replaced by a big spending activist one. The budget in March will be decisive, expecting tax rises in areas where they haven't commited against them.

A real easy one is to remove the age limit to NI. If NI was really an insurance company they would have gone bust years ago - most take out far more than they ever pay in!

As its then just a tax treat it as such and apply it same as income tax to all income whether your 16 or 96. If you don't earn or receive enough pension to pay tax then you won't pay this either. Yes it might hit all those 'freeloading' wealthy pensioners.....

Simple 

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

It's official. The more left wing you are, the more mentally ill you are

IMG_20200212_134821.jpg

It's official, the more stupid you are the more you're likely to find obscure web sites that really should be ignored as they're b0ll0cks.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Winky, Bagster, Iwan, Barbe Bleu.... 

I think you will find they are all the same poster!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

It's official, the more stupid you are the more you're likely to find obscure web sites that really should be ignored as they're b0ll0cks.

You old Marxist, you 🤣

29 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I think you will find they are all the same poster!

It's not... Bill? It is isn't it? 

• Haha 1