Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

I think you should be alright Daz but on the proviso that the people in charge now start taking what they have done seriously. No more playing to the gallery. Put away the dead cats. Stop treating the public and the opposition like fools and start coming up with some concrete plans so people like you can move ahead. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think you should be alright Daz but on the proviso that the people in charge now start taking what they have done seriously. No more playing to the gallery. Put away the dead cats. Stop treating the public and the opposition like fools and start coming up with some concrete plans so people like you can move ahead. 

I truly hope so my friend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

That sounds like project fear............ definitely a dead cat.

8 minutes ago, paul moy said:

That sounds like project fear............ definitely a dead cat.

The company I work for is related to the construction industry, it also buys exclusively from Europe, and not through choice I can assure you.

Well founded concern is what I call it Moy. If you want reasoned debate backed up with facts, I'm willing to engage, if not, don't trouble yourself with anything I post or what's related to it.

Now, who was it who said all along that we'd get a zero tariff and zero quota relationship for goods trade deal with the EU? 🤔

Was it PurpleCanary? Nay!

Was it KiO? Nay!

How about Surfer? Nay!

Billock? Nay!

BigFish? Nay!

TCCANARY? Nay!

Creative Midfielder? Nay!

Was it Hermione? Are you having a laugh?

So was it Brexiteers who were right all along then? YAY!  😀😎👍

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

The company I work for is related to the construction industry, it also buys exclusively from Europe, and not through choice I can assure you.

Well founded concern is what I call it Moy. If you want reasoned debate backed up with facts, I'm willing to engage, if not, don't trouble yourself with anything I post or what's related to it.

I was not replying to your post, but to main remoaner scaremongerer, Herman.

14 minutes ago, Jools said:

Now, who was it who said all along that we'd get a zero tariff and zero quota relationship for goods trade deal with the EU? 🤔

Was it KiO? Nay!

How about Surfer? Nay!

Billock? Nay!

BigFish? Nay!

TCCANARY? Nay!

Does this make brexiteers right? No, it's not a done deal. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jools said:

Was it KiO? Nay!

How about Surfer? Nay!

Billock? Nay!

BigFish? Nay!

TCCANARY? Nay!

Not so fast @Jools , a triple zero (tariffs, quotas, dumping) deal is always possible because it is in the best interests of both the UK and EU. But as she says the pre-requisite is the " level playing field" and what she doesn't say it will require continuing access for EU fisherman to UK waters. The EU have been saying this for 3 years, why the sudden surprise? (Btw can't seethe Statler and Waldorf of the thread, @paul moy and @SwindonCanary , being quite so keen now it has been explained to them)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Does this make brexiteers right? No, it's not a done deal. 

Precisely. What has been offered would mean we'd have to abide by certain rules which Johson et al have said we won't abide by. So although it is heading in the right direction our government have already put up obstructions.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Precisely. What has been offered would mean we'd have to abide by certain rules which Johson et al have said we won't abide by. So although it is heading in the right direction our government have already put up obstructions.

The EU are challenging Johnson to crash the talks and take the blame. The triple zero deal is being offered up to the UK but Johnson will need to eat some of his words and face down the ERG to get it. If he doesn't the EU will be able to walk away saying we offered a deal and the UK turned it down. @paul moy will be happy but I doubt anyone else will.  They have us exactly where they want us.

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

So although it is heading in the right direction our government have already put up obstructions.

Prior to von der Leyen's statement today, the EC has said that it is prepared to issue fines should a dispute panel overseeing any agreement deem the UK to be in breach of the yet-to-be-negotiated UK-EU trade deal -- EU member states are also seeking suspension of aspects of the deal that gives Britain certain access arrangements as other modes of punishment...

You say the UK government is putting up obstructions? 🤔

36 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Not so fast @Jools , a triple zero (tariffs, quotas, dumping) deal is always possible because it is in the best interests of both the UK and EU. But as she says the pre-requisite is the " level playing field" and what she doesn't say it will require continuing access for EU fisherman to UK waters. The EU have been saying this for 3 years, why the sudden surprise? (Btw can't seethe Statler and Waldorf of the thread, @paul moy and @SwindonCanary , being quite so keen now it has been explained to them)

I've not known you or your fellow remoaners ever jumping to conclusions.....  at least ours are tinged with positivity.   🤣

4 minutes ago, Jools said:

Prior to von der Leyen's statement today, the EC has said that it is prepared to issue fines should a dispute panel overseeing any agreement deem the UK to be in breach of the yet-to-be-negotiated UK-EU trade deal

Pretty standard terms for any FTA - why the surprise

-- EU member states are also seeking suspension of aspects of the deal that gives Britain certain access arrangements as other modes of punishment...

Again this is standard

I didn't say that, talks haven't even started yet. What I have said is that the government is feeding all kinds of propaganda into the debate, none or at least not much of which will be achievable when talks start.

30 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The EU are challenging Johnson to crash the talks and take the blame. The triple zero deal is being offered up to the UK but Johnson will need to eat some of his words and face down the ERG to get it. If he doesn't the EU will be able to walk away saying we offered a deal and the UK turned it down. @paul moy will be happy but I doubt anyone else will.  They have us exactly where they want us.

LOL.... on the other hand he will take the credit for it.  Come on Boris, you know what the people want !!   WTO 

1 minute ago, paul moy said:

I've not known you or your fellow remoaners ever jumping to conclusions.....  at least ours are tinged with positivity.   🤣

I am positive that Johnson will roll over and let the EU tickle his tummy, when push comes to shove

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

I am positive that Johnson will roll over and let the EU tickle his tummy, when push comes to shove

He won't as he has a very large majority, especially with the backing of previous Liebore seats in the north to protect, so my view is.............. WTO    !!      :classic_love:

1 minute ago, paul moy said:

LOL.... on the other hand he will take the credit for it.  Come on Boris, you know what the people want !!   WTO 

Well there is nothing stopping him, the EU would be happy

“Australia without any doubt is a strong and a like-minded partner,” Von der Leyen told MEPs. “But the European Union does not have a trade agreement with Australia. We are currently trading on WTO terms. And if this is the British choice, well, we are fine with that without any question. But, in fact, we just are in the moment where we are agreeing with Australia that we must end this situation and we work on a trade deal with them.”

Of course the United Kingdom can decide to settle for less but I personally believe we should be way more ambitious,” Von der Leyen said.

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Well there is nothing stopping him, the EU would be happy

“Australia without any doubt is a strong and a like-minded partner,” Von der Leyen told MEPs. “But the European Union does not have a trade agreement with Australia. We are currently trading on WTO terms. And if this is the British choice, well, we are fine with that without any question. But, in fact, we just are in the moment where we are agreeing with Australia that we must end this situation and we work on a trade deal with them.”

Of course the United Kingdom can decide to settle for less but I personally believe we should be way more ambitious,” Von der Leyen said.

The EU have a very high but unworthy opinion of themselves, as most of us are only too aware.  WTO.......... here we come. 

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

The EU have a very high but unworthy opinion of themselves, as most of us are only too aware.  WTO.......... here we come. 

Why is it, do you think, that Johnson is not going straight to WTO on 1st January 2021. There clearly isn't anything stopping him with his massive majority & and the EU President offering it up if he wants to have it?

Why not save time, and end the uncertainty now?

12 minutes ago, paul moy said:

A poorly edited video is positivity?

22 minutes ago, Jools said:

As it has already pooh-poohed allignment then yes, a massive obstruction.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

A poorly edited video is positivity?

As it has already pooh-poohed allignment then yes, a massive obstruction.

Why is the EU offering the UK a worse trade deal than it signed with Japan or Canada? Sir Nigel of Farage was right to state that the EU is terrified of UK Being a competitor on their doorstep 👍

Alignment means maintaining EU regulations, which could hinder signing free trade agreements with other countries, Hermione...

Here's hoping Boris et al. stick to their guns...

The UK does not need a deal with the EU to trade with it 😎

34 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Well, Brexit aside, he's made some sh@t decisions thus far, I'll give you that.

HS2 being the latest.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The EU said from the outset that all kinds of post-Brexit trading arrangements, up to and including staying in the single market, were available. But in that case the UK would have to go on accepting freedom of movement. And even less close deals would necessitate considerable alignment.

There is nothing new in what von der Leyen said today, which was really only stating again, for the thick-headed, that there nerver was a cake-and-eat-it Brexit to be had.

The problem is that Brexit scorched-earth lunatics have been allowed to dictate policy, so May ruled out the single market and even a customs' union, because she was a deadly combination of cowardice and incompetence. And so far Johnson - this may change if he develops a backbone and comes to his senses but I am not holding my breath - is leading the UK towards what in effect would be a no-deal.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The EU said from the outset that all kinds of post-Brexit trading arrangements, up to and including staying in the single market, were available. But in that case the UK would have to go on accepting freedom of movement. And even less close deals would necessitate considerable alignment.

There is nothing new in what von der Leyen said today, which was really only stating again, for the thick-headed, that there nerver was a cake-and-eat-it Brexit to be had.

The problem is that Brexit scorched-earth lunatics have been allowed to dictate policy, so May ruled out the single market and even a customs' union, because she was a deadly combination of cowardice and incompetence. And so far Johnson - this may change if he develops a backbone and comes to his senses but I am not holding my breath - is leading the UK towards what in effect would be a no-deal.

No other country would accept that constraint and obviously neither will we.  The EU's red lines are quite comforting to us leavers as it means WTO and the total independence from the EU that we seek with 100% of our fisheries returned to the fold, no 39 Billion etc.  Luvly jubbly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Well, Brexit aside, he's made some sh@t decisions thus far, I'll give you that.

HS2 being the latest.

May not be the best decision but with more money in the coffers thanks to leaving the EU, we can afford it. 

51 minutes ago, Herman said:

I don't think you really know what you want.

What a stupid thing to say -- That I voted to leave the EU and the Conservatives over the Brexit Party to prevent a Labour government doesn't mean I have to agree with all their decisions.

I've been clear about wanting a no deal WTO Brexit from the off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jools said:

Deal?

35 minutes ago, Jools said:

I've been clear about wanting a no deal WTO Brexit from the off.

Or no deal?

Which one is it, Jools?

🤔

53 minutes ago, paul moy said:

No other country would accept that constraint and obviously neither will we.  The EU's red lines are quite comforting to us leavers as it means WTO and the total independence from the EU that we seek with 100% of our fisheries returned to the fold, no 39 Billion etc.  Luvly jubbly.

The £39bn, or what is left of that to pay, has no connection to any future trade deal. It is part of the entirely separate Withdrawal Agreement, which has now been signed by both parties. Of course Johnson could unilaterally tear it up, and win plaudits from the Brexit flat-earthers, but I really would not advise that. Once you tear up one bilateral international agreement you are hardly likely to be trusted not to do it again and again.

• Like 2