Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

12 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The times

I can't find that on their website, but I don't have a subscription and am abroad 

I find it hard to believe that negotiations won't even start, there will be plenty of disagreements I'm sure, but there has to be negotiations to highlight those disagreements, no?

16 minutes ago, kick it off said:

On the point of fishing access - The UK has a strong position (a rarity) due to the amount of fish in our waters. The other side to that coin though is that we export 70% of the fish we catch to the EU and if there's no trade off in terms of access to UK waters then I suspect they will simply make it very difficult to export fish there and catch them somewhere else.

Norway for example put a huge refrigeration warehouse in Gambia in exchange for access to their fishing waters - I know that to be true because I saw it when I was in Gambia - the unit broke down and nobody had the skills or the parts available to fix it so it was utterly useless after 6 months and the locals went back to smoking the fish (smells horrific) but Norway retained their fishing rights. It's not that hard for the EU to replace the access, they'll just go elsewhere. Pain in the **** for sure, but it's not like they can't find fish anywhere else so don't think it will be as much of a stumbling block as Boris hopes it will be.

Remoaners were always quick to state how insignificant fishing is so it is strange that the EU are so determined to maintain access. Could it be that remoaners were yet again playing down the UK's strong position.............. quelle surprise !!!  

8 hours ago, paul moy said:

Hehe...... the EU appear to be breaking the terms of the WA which states NO BORDER CHECKS !!   So that means we could walk away to WTO and not pay ..........   🤣

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1236796/Dominic-Raab-latest-news-Brexit-trade-Michel-Barnier-deal-UK-EU-update

More ill-informed nonsense from Paul Moy.

I know I've said this before but it bears repeating, you are a totally deluded idiot.

It all makes sense now.

"Swindon is best known for its railway heritage, Honda motors, and even Billie Piper, but the most interesting thing about the town is the fact that it beat 24 other UK towns to be twin with the incredible Walt Disney World."

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

It all makes sense now.

"Swindon is best known for its railway heritage, Honda motors, and even Billie Piper, but the most interesting thing about the town is the fact that it beat 24 other UK towns to be twin with the incredible Walt Disney World."

That because of the magic roundabout !

52 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Remoaners were always quick to state how insignificant fishing is so it is strange that the EU are so determined to maintain access. Could it be that remoaners were yet again playing down the UK's strong position.............. quelle surprise !!!  

It employs 11,000 people. Get a grip

7 minutes ago, kick it off said:

It employs 11,000 people. Get a grip

11,000 perhaps and due to EU trashing our industry for 40 years.  It's about a 10th of what it was and will be potentially massive outside the EU. We take only about 8% of the cod at the moment but soon to be close on 100% thanks to Brexit. Then there are associated industries to consider which will be worth billions.

Not surprised at all to see a remoaner playing down the UK's potential.

33 minutes ago, paul moy said:

11,000 perhaps and due to EU trashing our industry for 40 years.  It's about a 10th of what it was and will be potentially massive outside the EU. We take only about 8% of the cod at the moment but soon to be close on 100% thanks to Brexit. Then there are associated industries to consider which will be worth billions.

If you are an example of the UK's potential I dont think the EU has anything to worry about.

Now on more sensible matters what are the UK's major growth industries (apart from socialcare). No fantasies please.

46 minutes ago, paul moy said:

How many British teenagers are queueing up to be fishermen then? I bet there’ll be loads....

44 minutes ago, kick it off said:

On the point of fishing access - The UK has a strong position (a rarity) due to the amount of fish in our waters. The other side to that coin though is that we export 70% of the fish we catch to the EU and if there's no trade off in terms of access to UK waters then I suspect they will simply make it very difficult to export fish there and catch them somewhere else.

It's certainly true that the EU generally is more interested in fish and eats a lot more fish than we do in the UK but I don't think the UK has a particularly strong position - firstly for the reason you describe and secondly because a large proportion of the fish that we do eat in this country comes from EU waters.

So despite all the sound and fury (and nonsense) there is a mutual interest in a deal on fishing, and at a guess it will look pretty similar to the current arrangements, with a tweak here and there to satisfy the gullible.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Paul if you actually knew anything about fishing, which you clearly don't, you would know that it was the UK government that trashed the industry (rather than the EU) by allocating most of the quotas to large companies rather than local fishermen.

The industry is also much smaller than it was because we were grossly overfishing our own waters and the industry wouldn't exist at all now were it not for the quotas which have been moderately succesful in turning it into a sustainable industry.

• Like 3

246 pages in this revived thread.  

And still no one has asked let alone answered the only two questions that matter: Will Brexit make me happier and will it help me live longer?

Pages and pages posted about how stuff we dont need will get from here to there and there to here (there being either a large overseas union or a large overseas union) ,   a bit about food supplies (despite the fact that in the UK we are probably 100,000 times more likely to die because we eat to much than we eat too little), and a lot about cars we dont buy. 

Honestly, how many of you voted the way you did because of the economic impact of this decision and how many truly voted the way they did because their personal ethics told them it was the right thing to do?  Who really voted because the figures stacked up and who voted the way they did because some curious sensation said that 'x' would make them feel good?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

We ploughed money into the European Investment Bank and they tell us that now when we left we can whistle for our investment !

https://www.eib.org/en/press/news/eib-president-regrets-brexit-welcomes-eu27-united-support-for-eib-group.htm

The UK will remain liable for the EIB’s pre-Brexit operations. This liability will be reduced as the EIB’s pre-Brexit exposure declines.

The EIB will reimburse the UK’s EUR 3.5 billion paid-in share over 12 annual instalments following Brexit.

More lies from Swindon.

5 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

246 pages in this revived thread.  

And still no one has asked let alone answered the only two questions that matter: Will Brexit make me happier and will it help me live longer?

Pages and pages posted about how stuff we dont need will get from here to there and there to here (there being either a large overseas union or a large overseas union) ,   a bit about food supplies (despite the fact that in the UK we are probably 100,000 times more likely to die because we eat to much than we eat too little), and a lot about cars we dont buy. 

Honestly, how many of you voted the way you did because of the economic impact of this decision and how many truly voted the way they did because their personal ethics told them it was the right thing to do?  Who really voted because the figures stacked up and who voted the way they did because some curious sensation said that 'x' would make them feel good?

I voted to remain because I liked close relations with our European neighbours. Also because when I was living in the UK, I was working in Kent (places like Ashford, Dover, etc) and I had seen the first hand the disruption caused by problems at the ports

I´m happy to accept the result of the referendum, and I believe we should look to achieve the aims of the Vote Leave campaign...a free trade zone from Iceland to Turkey.  I have no problem with people who believe that leave is the best choice...I post on this thread mainly when I see people posting up stuff that I think has no, or little, truth to it

"And still no one has asked let alone answered the only two questions that matter: Will Brexit make me happier and will it help me live longer?"

No and no. Have a look at the brexiters on TV. They've got what they've wished for and they're still angry.

I voted for remain mainly because I didn't ever see it as the all encompassing behemoth or problem that was told to us. I wasn't particularly pro-EU at the beginning but I couldn't see the point of leaving it. My life had never been negatively affected by our membership, and if leave voters were honest, neither had theirs. It was clearly a scapegoat for poor domestic policies and, after the last few years, this has proven to be accurate.

What made me certain of my vote was the stupid lies right from the start. If someone was going to blatantly lie about a very important change to our lives then what else were they going to lie about. No trust in these people meant they weren't getting my vote.

I've lost but I haven't sold out and I still know I'm right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

More ill-informed nonsense from Paul Moy.

I know I've said this before but it bears repeating, you are a totally deluded idiot.

To be fair to Moy, he's just quoting Dominic Raab, and he's the deluded idiot.

After Raab's interview and Sajid Javid before him, I'm suspecting that the government really doesn't understand the consequences of their actions.

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

"And still no one has asked let alone answered the only two questions that matter: Will Brexit make me happier and will it help me live longer?"

No and no. Have a look at the brexiters on TV. They've got what they've wished for and they're still angry.

Same as the people who voted for Trump. They are just p*ssed off with everyone, and Brexit gave them a cult to follow. 

They will never be happy, their only enjoyment will be "sticking it to the remainers" in the UK or "sticking it to the libs" in the US.

And all the while the party who created the economic conditions that got them p*ssed off is the very one they now support.

• Like 1

Bitter remoaners out in force today........ give up guys....... we're all LEAVERS now !!!   

Try some optimism..... it could work wonders for your state of mind

Edited by paul moy

19 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Bitter remoaners out in force today........ give up guys....... we're all LEAVERS now !!!   

Well done, the lunatics have taken over the asylum

51 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Optimism is one thing, and eventually Trump and Boris will be gone, so yes we can remain optimistic for the future. But cult like adherence to every lie your dear leader spouts is not even close to optimism. It’s fascist or communist, take your pick of terms.

Edited by Surfer

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://www.eib.org/en/press/news/eib-president-regrets-brexit-welcomes-eu27-united-support-for-eib-group.htm

The UK will remain liable for the EIB’s pre-Brexit operations. This liability will be reduced as the EIB’s pre-Brexit exposure declines.

The EIB will reimburse the UK’s EUR 3.5 billion paid-in share over 12 annual instalments following Brexit.

More lies from Swindon.

Then they have changed there minds since last week !

Crazy as it sounds, but maybe you haven't been paying the slightest bit of attention?! 

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Crazy as it sounds, but maybe you haven't been paying the slightest bit of attention?! 

Not paying the slightest bit of attention is one up from reading the Daily Express though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The government need to listen to what's being said on the BBC World Service today . Its outrageous and the biased reporting and agenda is being spread around the world. They appear to be working hand in hand with the EU. The government needs to deal with this and sort out the BBC as they are not representing the whole country.

• Haha 2