Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

54 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I can already hear the sound of flowerpots being smashed.

I wonder if he is still ok 🤔

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I wonder if he is still ok 🤔

Either banned, which I doubt, unwilling to admit he was wrong, which he wouldn’t do as he would twist it in some way to claim faux victory, or not fit enough to post for whatever reason. I fear the latter but hope not, whatever would little weed do.

If he has been banned then he probably did that for himself. Surprised though cos if that was going to happen I would have though it would have happened ages ago. Presumably he's ok then so thats good news, if he'd been in hospital I would have gone to visit him.

Edited by Van wink
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

if he'd been in hospital I would have gone to visit him.

You are truly a saint, VW.👍

• Haha 1

Good to hear Jess Phillips destroying the Labour Manifesto, the nasty elements within Momentum and the racists that have infiltrated the party so deeply, unsurprisingly using the same arguments that the sensible posters on here were using before the election. As I’ve said previously we need a Neil Kinnock moment to boot the lefty nutters out of the party before it has any chance of being taken seriously.

Anybody seen Billy?

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I'm not sure one person qualifies for you to say that 'they' want a second referendum.

More ill-informed nonsense from Paul Moy.

I think you'll find it's more that one person !

3 hours ago, Herman said:

What with the Tories looking at a proper Brexit, questioning Foreign Aid and thinking about making the Lefty BBC subscription....

I've simply got nothing to moan about..

What a great time to be a Rightwing Brexiteer 😎👍

41 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I think you'll find it's more that one person !

Who else does??

54 minutes ago, Jools said:

What with the Tories looking at a proper Brexit, questioning Foreign Aid and thinking about making the Lefty BBC subscription....

I've simply got nothing to moan about..

What a great time to be a Rightwing Brexiteer 😎👍

'looking at' 'questioning' and 'thinking about'. 🤣

I think you should look at Daniel Hannan's record for talking utter bollox before using him to back up any argument you may have. And the Faily Express.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I think you should look at Daniel Hannan's record for talking utter bollox before using him to back up any argument you may have. And the Faily Express.

http://islingtontribune.com/article/thornberry-we-did-need-a-second-referendum

It's easy really, just put 'second referendum' into google news 😉

Edited by SwindonCanary

The following article is especially for Purple and Hermione, who in the last three and a half years have garnered most of their information from the FT:

The delusion of the born-again Brexiteers ~ by Toby Young

As 31 January looms, I’ve been thinking about how to bring the country back together again after we’ve left the EU. How can those who’ve spent the past three-and-a-half years fighting Brexit tooth and nail be persuaded to accept Britain’s new status? Bear in mind that many of them occupy highly influential positions — as Supreme Court judges, for instance. The last thing we want is for them to sabotage our post-Brexit future in an attempt to prove they were right all along.

However, I had an encounter at a Christmas party with Lionel Barber, the outgoing editor of the Financial Times, that made me think a Truth and Reconciliation Commission may not be necessary. I was getting my coat as he was arriving and I suggested it would be a good idea for the leading figures on both sides to meet after 31 January to discuss how to put their differences behind them.

‘Why me?’ he asked.

‘Because you’ve been such a passionate opponent of Brexit,’ I said.

‘Nonsense,’ he replied. ‘I’ve always felt a bit ambivalent about it, but I’ve never denied there are huge opportunities for Britain outside the EU.’

I was dumbfounded. A bit ambivalent?! That’s like the leader of the Spanish Inquisition claiming he only had a few qualms about the heliocentric theory. Not only did the FT campaign relentlessly against a Leave vote in 2016, but it refused to accept the result, publishing editorial after editorial attacking the idea that Britain’s economy could thrive outside the single market and the customs union. Its columnists, with the exception of Merryn Somerset-Webb, wrote the script that was then followed in the Senior Common Rooms of Oxbridge and the boardrooms of the City. On the eve of last month’s election, the FT ran a leader accusing Boris of playing ‘fast and loose with democratic norms’, describing the notion that the UK could conclude a trade deal with the EU by December 2020 as ‘fantastical’ and washing its hands of the Conservative party. Yet now, apparently, the editor was merely ‘ambivalent’ about Brexit.

Barber isn’t alone. Since Boris’s victory, some of the most fanatical Remainers in my social circle — former Conservatives who campaigned for Sam Gyimah in Kensington, so great was their aversion to -Brexit — have come up to me and said: ‘Great result, eh?’ It’s as if those Tories dubbed ‘born-again Brexit-eers’ during the Conservative -leadership contest — Jeremy Hunt, Sajid Javid, Gavin Williamson — have set the pattern that the rest of their kind have followed. ‘Anti-Brexit? Me? Nah mate. You must be confusing me with someone else.’ How long will it be before Rory Stewart, Matthew Parris and Ken Clarke join their ranks?

I’m reminded of an anecdote told by Raymond Walter Apple Jr, the late New York Times columnist known as Johnny Apple. In 1989, after the fall of the Berlin Wall had precipitated the collapse of communism in East Germany, Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria and Romania, Apple was sent to Eastern Europe by his editor and told to interview some of the defenders of the previous regimes. The idea was to inject a bit of balance into the way these momentous events were being covered in the West. Enough with all this capitalist triumphalism! Let’s hear the case for Marxism.

But try as he might, Johnny Apple couldn’t find a single person willing to stick up for communism. It wasn’t that they’d changed their minds, having witnessed the defeat of their side in the Cold War. At least, none would admit to that. Rather, like Barber, they denied ever having been defenders of the now discredited ideology in the first place. When Apple confronted them with evidence of their zealotry just a few weeks before, they stared at him blankly. If he plied them with alcohol, the most he could get out of them was that, yes, they had occasionally said supportive things about their political masters, but they’d had to say them to protect their careers and families. They never really believed it.

It’s tempting to find the same volte-face among Remainiacs irritating. How dare you pretend to be on the winning side when you were among our most dogged opponents? But I think we have to overlook this inconsistency and accept them into the fold. Turns out, trying to apply Elisabeth Kübler-Ross’s bereavement model is wrong. There aren’t five stages of grief following a big political defeat, just two. Anger, followed swiftly by the enthusiastic embrace of all your enemy’s beliefs.

"I’ve always felt a bit ambivalent about it, but I’ve never denied there are huge opportunities for Britain outside the EU." Says Lionel Barber 😀

How about you Remainiac commoners on here, would you admit like Barber and the FT soothsayers you've so heavily relied on for your information that you also felt ambivalent about leaving the EU? If so, would you now admit, like Barber and the FT soothsayers you've so heavily relied on for your information, that there are huge opportunities for Britain outside the EU? No! Why not? Are you now going to tell us Brexiteers you know better than Barber and the FT soothsayers you've so heavily relied on for your information in the last three and a half years? 🙃

Interesting interview with Barber by Nick R on the Today program on Thursday. He was a lot more ambivalent about Brexit in that too, I was surprised, I suspect the FT is shifting its position a little. ( Nb not a lot but a little).

I posted about it previously but was accused of pathetic attempts to pretend I had insider knowledge, I think those were the words, I had merely listened to an Interview with the outgoing editor whilst walking in to work. Presumably others hadn’t heard the interview or interpreted it differently. 

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 17:11, Herman said:

Who to listen to, eh?!  The Economics editor of the Financial Times or Paul Staines. What a dilemma.

Well, Hermione -- Guido appears to be the winner 😀

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Interesting interview with Barber by Nick R on the Today program on Thursday. He was a lot more ambivalent about Brexit in that too, I was surprised, I suspect the FT is shifting its position a little. ( Nb not a lot but a little).

I posted about it previously but was accused of pathetic attempts to pretend I had insider knowledge, I think those were the words, I had merely listened to an Interview with the outgoing editor whilst walking in to work. Presumably others hadn’t heard the interview or interpreted it differently. 

No. That was not what you said, and nothing to do with what you said. You were then not talking about Barber supposedly being now more ambivalent about Brexit. You were claiming something entirely different and much more serious, that the FT's coverage of Brexit under Barber's editorship had been biased and that under the new editor (about whom I doubt you could say anything  relevant at all beyond what you might hurriedly find on Wiki) the coverage would be less biased:

'Only when it’s been biased.  I think you will find they will report in a more even handed way after the departure of Barber.'

By all means carry on digging yourself deeper, but at the risk of denying myself later pleasure I feel the need to point out that every time the FT carries a story that casts doubt on Brexit as an enterprise the dumber your 'new editor' theory will look. Still, against that you will always, wrong or wronger, have Jools as a sycophantic cheerleader.

PS. Please provide a full transcript of this interview Barber had with Robinson. Nothing less will do. Of course neither of us, or anyone else with a brain, would  take on trust Toby Young’s account of what he had for breakfast, let alone something serious, so he can happily be ignored.

Edited by PurpleCanary

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

'looking at' 'questioning' and 'thinking about'. 🤣

'Looking', 'questioning' and 'thinking'....

All three Lefties are bereft of..

Hence the Conservative majority 😎

23 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No. That was not what you said, and nothing to do with what you said. You were then not talking about Barber supposedly being now more ambivalent about Brexit. You were claiming something entirely different and much more serious, that the FT's coverage of Brexit under Barber's editorship had been biased and that under the new editor (about whom I doubt you could say anything  relevant at all beyond what you might hurriedly find on Wiki) the coverage would be less biased:

'Only when it’s been biased.  I think you will find they will report in a more even handed way after the departure of Barber.'

By all means carry on digging yourself deeper, but at the risk of denying myself later pleasure I feel the need to point out that every time the FT carries a story that casts doubt on Brexit as an enterprise the dumber your 'new editor' theory will look. Still, against that you will always, wrong or wronger, have Jools as a sycophantic cheerleader.

Congratulations on being first out of the gate in telling us Brexiteers you know better than Barber and the FT soothsayers that you've so heavily relied on for your information in the last three and a half years, Purple 👍

😀

18 minutes ago, Jools said:

Congratulations on being first out of the gate in telling us Brexiteers you know better than Barber and the FT soothsayers that you've so heavily relied on for your information in the last three and a half years, Purple 👍

😀

Dear Jools, it take a certain skill to misunderstand so much and get so much wrong in one sentence.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Haha 4

Why would anyone, with any sense, think I would want to read anything Toby Young has to say? 

• Like 1