Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The new breed of left wingers opposed to tax.....they will go far 

VW - Normally, you're capable of being sensible... not sure where you're going with this but that's clearly what nobody has said.

I'm in favour of higher taxation, I just believe those who earn the most can afford to pay the most. 

I'm in favour of increasing the minimum wage further, I just don't see the point when you're taking back everything you give as an extra tax. It's commonly known as a sham.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

VW - Normally, you're capable of being sensible... not sure where you're going with this but that's clearly what nobody has said.

I'm in favour of higher taxation, I just believe those who earn the most can afford to pay the most. 

I'm in favour of increasing the minimum wage further, I just don't see the point when you're taking back everything you give as an extra tax. It's commonly known as a sham.

Council tax is means tested. 

Edited by Van wink

7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Council tax is means tested. 

The poorest 10% of households in London see about 8% of their income disappear to council tax.

The richest 10% of households in London see about 1.3% of their income disappear to council tax.

Figures from Institute of Public Policy Research.

“Council tax is a poor tax. It hits the poorest hardest, it is increasingly not fit for purpose and is in dire need of reform.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/council-tax-burden-poor-london-wealth-high-earners-income-a8267931.html

Some of us don't work on simplistic soundbites, you need to try harder.

Edited by kick it off

“Some of us don't work on simplistic soundbites”

No we don’t 👍
Edited by Van wink

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

'We are going to see more of this sort of stuff in Johnson's "Global Britain"  Yes indeed, and its nice to see isn't it.

More liberal policies aimed at reducing inequalities, particularly between the regions will be most welcome. You need to thank the Labour voters who voted for Boris, in part, for the progressive policies that will unfold.

This is not a liberal policy, it is a policy failure. Perhaps you welcome failure, but some of us don't. Perhaps you are taken in by what Johnson says, but some of us arn't.

Now explain to me why you think a minimum wage 63p per hour less than promised, £1600 per year less than promised, due to the failure to meet Tory budget projections is "welcome".

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

This is not a liberal policy, it is a policy failure. Perhaps you welcome failure, but some of us don't. Perhaps you are taken in by what Johnson says, but some of us arn't.

Now explain to me why you think a minimum wage 63p per hour less than promised, £1600 per year less than promised, due to the failure to meet Tory budget projections is "welcome".

6.2 % it’s a good rise 😉

The increase in the minimum wage since 2016 has already resulted in a sharp decline in the share of low-paid jobs, defined as those below two-thirds of median hourly earnings according to data from the Office for National Statistics published in October. On an hourly earnings basis, the proportion of low-paid employee jobs fell to 16.2 per cent in 2019, the lowest since the series began in 1997.

Edited by Van wink

19 minutes ago, Van wink said:

6.2 % it’s a good rise 😉

Never been keen on the idea of the living wage, winky -- I believe people should be paid what they're worth and it's the cost of living that needs to come down -- Everything is raised in the event of increased wages and that has always been the way whoever is in government.

That said, a rise in the minimum wage this time around may prove to be more beneficial as stock markets hit record highs during 2020 👍   👇

2020 will be the year the UK market outperforms the world

Stock markets are hitting record highs. New companies are being listed. Fortunes are being minted. The last year has been a great one for investors, and so has the last decade, as what was already one of the longest bull markets acquired fresh impetus. There is one exception to that, however, and if you happen to be British it is sadly close to home. The London market has woefully under-performed the rest of the world.

In 2020 that will finally start to change. Why? With our departure from the EU finally resolved global money will come flooding back, the Government is set on a huge stimulus, and the Bank of England will decide to go for growth. For once, the UK may start to do better than its rivals.

True, anyone who invested in the UK had an okay 2019. The UK market was up by 13 per cent, and at least Jeremy Corbyn didn’t become Prime Minister – which would have sent the market hurtling downwards. But most other countries around the world did far better. Greece and Russia were the real stars, with gains of more than 40 per cent, both Italy and Ireland were above 30 per cent, the United States returned 28 per cent, and even protest-racked France 27 per cent. We had the worst returns of any Group of Seven country. A combination of slow growth and political turmoil meant most investors preferred to be elsewhere – and it is hard to blame them. The outlook for 2020 is very different, however. Why? There are three reasons.

First, with the election out of the way, we now have a secure and stable government set to remain in power for five years – and potentially ten. Our departure from the EU will be completed by the end of January, and although a trade deal still has to be negotiated that may well prove a lot easier than the speculation now suggests. The heat has gone out of the Brexit debate, and most businesses and investors are now seeing it for what it always was – a rather minor adjustment to our trading relationships which required some mid-level administrative work but otherwise didn’t make much difference to anything. The UK will soon look like one of the most politically stable countries in the world.

Second, the one thing we can be sure of about the Johnson administration is that it likes to spend money. We will learn how much exactly when the Chancellor unveils his budget. But it is going to be a lot. A mixture of higher spending, some tax cuts, and increases to the minimum wage will deliver a massive stimulus. When Donald Trump did that it pushed growth above 3 per cent, and it can do the same here.

Finally, the Bank of England will soon have a new Governor who will spend less time on keeping the Davos set happy with platitudes on climate change and more on delivering growth. The European Central Bank has re-launched quantitative easing, and the Federal Reserve has cut interest rates. Among major central banks, the Bank of England has been the only one not to try and stimulate growth. The new Governor Andrew Bailey has not yet revealed his plans, but he wouldn’t have been appointed if he didn’t want the UK to grow faster.

Add all three together, and the UK should be one of the most attractive major markets. Of course, a global crash will torpedo that. But if the bull market keeps going, the UK has a lot of catching up to do – and should for once significantly outperform the rest of the world.

"Never been keen on the idea of the living wage, winky -- I believe people should be paid what they're worth and it's the cost of living that needs to come down -- Everything is raised in the event of increased wages and that has always been the way whoever is in government."

Thing is most them seem to think the Government is paying for the rise. If it was of course the money would have to come from increased taxes:classic_biggrin:

"I for one am hugely optimistic in light of the fact that the Tories have bet the farm - our collective farm - on every reputable economist being wrong and Patrick Minford alone being right."  Chris Brookmyre.

More good news

Renewable energy milestone reached in 2019

Zero carbon-sourced power surpassed fossil fuels for first time in centuries Share on Twitter (opens new window) Share on Facebook (opens new window) Share on LinkedIn (opens new window) Nikou Asgari in London 21 hours ago Print this page 100 The UK reached a clean energy milestone in 2019, generating more of its energy from zero carbon sources than fossil fuels for the first time since the industrial revolution. Figures from National Grid, which is responsible for balancing supply and demand in Britain’s electricity network, showed that almost half of the country’s energy came from non-polluting sources over the year. Wind, solar, nuclear and hydro energy accounted for 48.5 per cent of the UK’s power generation, while fossil fuels made up 43 per cent. The remaining 8.5 per cent of electricity generated last year came from biomass and waste. “As we enter a new decade, this truly is a historic moment and an opportunity to reflect on how much has been achieved,” said John Pettigrew, chief executive of National Grid. Last year’s milestone was achieved partly through the rapid growth of renewables, but also because of a sharp decline in the use of coal power, which the UK once heavily relied upon. Over the past decade, the UK has decarbonised its electricity system at the fastest pace of 25 major economies through a combination of factors, including subsidy schemes encouraging renewable energy use and a carbon tax paid by fossil fuel plants.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

"I for one am hugely optimistic in light of the fact that the Tories have bet the farm - our collective farm - on every reputable economist being wrong and Patrick Minford alone being right."  Chris Brookmyre.

Chris Brookmyre --- Gave up political journalism to write fiction...

You don't 'alf pick 'em, Hermione 😀

Now is a good time for a list of anti-democratic, belly-crawling, ex MPs who you also took for their word:

Dominic Grieve
David Gauke
Chuka Umunna
Luciana Berger
Anna Soubry
Sam Gyimah
Jo Swinson
Antoinette Sandbach
Sarah Wollaston
Ken Clarke
Oliver Letwin
Philip Hammond
Rory Stewart
Angela Smith
Mike Gapes
Gavin Shuker
Chris Leslie
Amber Rudd
Guto Bebb
Heidi Allen
Justine Greening
Philip Lee

All the above either resigned or lost their seats thanks to the good, democratic people of the UK 👍

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

anti-Semitism is a form of racism. Given the widespread coverage of the systemic anti-Semitism in the Labour party, the ongoing Human Rights investigation and the known anti-Semitic friends of Jeremy Corbyn there could not have been a single voter unaware of the racism of the Labour party at the last election. 

So anyone voting for them condoned their racist stance. Fortunately the majority of this country are not racist and refused to support Labour. Hopefully we can finish them off next time round. 

Boris Johnson has on more than one occasion written and said clearly homophobic and sexist comments and told blatant lies.

Anyone voting for the tories supported these stances.

5 hours ago, kick it off said:

Low earners are paying the lowest tax for a decade. In 2009 the threshold was 6400 pounds, and now it stands at 12500 pounds, so what you are saying is nonsense as they can earn an extra 6,100 before tax, giving them around 1200 pounds extra annually.

9 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Low earners are paying the lowest tax for a decade. In 2009 the threshold was 6400 pounds, and now it stands at 12500 pounds, so what you are saying is nonsense as they can earn an extra 6,100 before tax, giving them around 1200 pounds extra annually.

Oh Ok, that's great then. I'll let the MILLION more children from working households who live in poverty know that everything is fantastic then. The stagnant wage growth that's been miles below inflation for much of the decade and the cuts to in work benefits is clearly cancelled out by that.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/child-poverty-working-households-1-million-children-2010-says-tuc

Edited by kick it off

11 minutes ago, paul moy said:

A very effective way of helping those on low incomes. Wage growth above inflation now and has been for a while I believe, moves in the right direction I’m sure we can all agree👍

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

Affordable rents/social housing.

Full time/long term/secure jobs.

Affordable/sensibly priced energy.

These sorts of things will start to help alleviate poverty. Although a wage rise for the lowest paid is appreciated, to call it a living wage is far from the truth.

10 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

For those of you that like the whole story and not a selective edit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

It's an article about a Pentagon report to Pres. Bush. A number of scenarios are in the report, this highlights the worst case. It would be interesting to know if in the intervening 15 years there were any changes to US Government policy on climate change or whether there were any subsequent reports from the Pentagon to whichever  President was in office at the time.

It's very stupid to take this story in isolation, a lot happens in 15 years.

You're right we shouldn't take this story in isolation. So when Greta Thunburg says the world will end in 15 years from now (funny how it's always 15 years, is that because it is near enough to be alarmist but far enough away to be forgotten?) unless we take drastic action to change our economies, it's just like the old scare story - yet more bullsh1t?

Edited by Rock The Boat

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

You're right we shouldn't take this story in isolation. So when Greta Thunburg says the world will end in 15 years from now (funny how it's always 15 years, is that because it is near enough to be alarmist but far enough away to be forgotten?) unless we take drastic action to change our economies, it's just like the old scare story - yet more bullsh1t?

When did she say the world will end in 15 years?

Edited by A Load of Squit

The ones in blue are places where UK citizens could live, study and retire to freely, compared to where they will be able to after Brexit. Good winning Swindon.

"What did you do in Brexit, Grandad Swindon?"

"I posted jingoistic memes showing how patriotic I am."

"And then what happened, Grandad Swindon?"

"I happily waved away all your rights."

"And what did we get in exchange, Grandad Swindon?"

"Grandad....? What did we get instead?"

"Grandad.....?"

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The ones in blue are places where UK citizens could live, study and retire to freely, compared to where they will be able to after Brexit. Good winning Swindon.

And criminals can move freely !

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

This is not normal.

A video like that should cause people to wake up and at least start to question wtf is going on! Somehow I suspect there are many who will never wake up!

• Like 1