Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Point of order,   the stats are for 17/18, so long before  boris took office and exclusions for racism across all schools are down over the recorded period.

No analysis as to the reasons for the statistics appears to be offered

So what you're saying is they're from post-referendum Brexit Britain and having a racist PM will improve the situation?

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Herman said:

Blimey, is Prison Planet still blathering on? Is he chipping in for Alex Jones's massive court fines?

Did you miss he was quoting your Guardian?

30 minutes ago, kick it off said:

So what you're saying is they're from post-referendum Brexit Britain and having a racist PM will improve the situation?

No. Because we rejected Corbyn and the racist Labour party

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I have far too little information on this to offer any meaningful analysis on the reasons for the statistics.  

It might be the case that the referendum has made the under 11s vile racists, it might not.   

• Haha 1

anti-Semitism is a form of racism. Given the widespread coverage of the systemic anti-Semitism in the Labour party, the ongoing Human Rights investigation and the known anti-Semitic friends of Jeremy Corbyn there could not have been a single voter unaware of the racism of the Labour party at the last election. 

So anyone voting for them condoned their racist stance. Fortunately the majority of this country are not racist and refused to support Labour. Hopefully we can finish them off next time round. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Get digging those Anderson shelters

For those of you that like the whole story and not a selective edit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

It's an article about a Pentagon report to Pres. Bush. A number of scenarios are in the report, this highlights the worst case. It would be interesting to know if in the intervening 15 years there were any changes to US Government policy on climate change or whether there were any subsequent reports from the Pentagon to whichever  President was in office at the time.

It's very stupid to take this story in isolation, a lot happens in 15 years.

On 31/12/2019 at 12:21, Van wink said:

Low-paid workers to get 6.2% rise with plans to lift living wage

Government to deliver ‘biggest cash increase ever’ in bid to shore up working class support

Good to see👍

We are going to see more of this sort of stuff in Johnson's "Global Britain" @Van wink. Not what you think as good news, rather bad news repackaged as good news solely for the gullible.In 2015 George Osbourne said the minimum wage would be £9.35 per hour at his first Conservative majority budget.

Now after 5 years of Tory economic mismanagement you are told that £8.72 is good news, that is a cut of 6.7% from what was promised, of £1,600 per annum less for a full time worker.

So not good to see, a failure and a misrepresentation.

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Not grabbed you then 😀

Makes no odds to me whatever Johnson says. Actions speak louder than piffle.

I can see a lot of Brexiters will have to get match fit pretty quick though!

14 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Makes no odds to me whatever Johnson says. Actions speak louder than piffle.

I can see a lot of Brexiters will have to get match fit pretty quick though!

Exactly this.

21 minutes ago, BigFish said:

We are going to see more of this sort of stuff in Johnson's "Global Britain" @Van wink. Not what you think as good news, rather bad news repackaged as good news solely for the gullible.In 2015 George Osbourne said the minimum wage would be £9.35 per hour at his first Conservative majority budget.

Now after 5 years of Tory economic mismanagement you are told that £8.72 is good news, that is a cut of 6.7% from what was promised, of £1,600 per annum less for a full time worker.

So not good to see, a failure and a misrepresentation.

'We are going to see more of this sort of stuff in Johnson's "Global Britain"  Yes indeed, and its nice to see isn't it.

More liberal policies aimed at reducing inequalities, particularly between the regions will be most welcome. You need to thank the Labour voters who voted for Boris, in part, for the progressive policies that will unfold.

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

'We are going to see more of this sort of stuff in Johnson's "Global Britain"  Yes indeed, and its nice to see isn't it.

More liberal policies aimed at reducing inequalities, particularly between the regions will be most welcome. You need to thank the Labour voters who voted for Boris, in part, for the progressive policies that will unfold.

Is it "progressive" to raise minimum wage to a lower level than was promised 5 years ago? Sounds regressive to me if we're more than 5 years behind where we were promised. Speaking of which, how's the deficit? You know,  the one that was meant to have evaporated by 2015 - Just asking since the last 10 years of Tories have borrowed more than every Labour government in history combined, I fear it may be another broken promise? But all that austerity and pain poured onto the poorest in society did have some benefit right? It wasn't all for nothing?

The gullible still not seeing through this guff it seems.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 3

A new start is always difficult for those that wish to gorge on misery.

One can only thank god that the gullible didnt fall for Corbynism, like most of the Labour Party it now seems:classic_mellow:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Van wink said:

One can only thank god that the gullible didnt fall for Corbynism, like most of the Labour Party it now seems:classic_mellow:

So your response to pointing out that giving people less than they were promised to already have 5 years ago is not progressive is to accuse me of gorging on misery? Is that really all you've got? Can't defend the indefensible I guess.

As for Corbyn, I've wanted rid for several years. He was a better option than Johnson, but ultimately anybody halfway competent could have reduced the Tories to nothing given the absolute ****wittery they've subjected us to, but somehow Corbyn conspired to decimate Labour in the face of the weakest Tory party in living memory.

PS - When did having a bumbling old Etonian in charge of the country become "a new start" - smacks of status quo to me

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I think you're talking to yourself VW.

Most on the Remain side have and always were getting on with it. I'm doing my accounts and EU sales lists - and as an exporter to such places as Asia and the USA - a very large VAT refund. I do it every 3 months. 

Now if Cummings moves the Treasury to say Newcastle, MOD to Bristol and so on (and all those civil servants - made redundant in London if they don't want to move - just like any relocating manufacturer will do) I will cheer him on. Level up and pull the regions up (including us in Norwich/Norfolk). 

As to Brexit - just a hindrance. Seem to make you feel better though. 

I hope we win later - I see AV hung on 😞 at the end.

13 minutes ago, kick it off said:

So your response to pointing out that giving people less than they were promised to already have 5 years ago is not progressive is to accuse me of gorging on misery? Is that really all you've got? Can't defend the indefensible I guess.

As for Corbyn, I've wanted rid for several years. He was a better option than Johnson, but ultimately anybody halfway competent could have reduced the Tories to nothing given the absolute ****wittery they've subjected us to, but somehow Corbyn conspired to decimate Labour in the face of the weakest Tory party in living memory.

PS - When did having a bumbling old Etonian in charge of the country become "a new start" - smacks of status quo to me

Im not trying to defend anything, all governments break promises , you can either chose to dwell on the failures of the past or look forward to something better, if you chose the former that looks pretty miserable to me.

"Now if Cummings moves the Treasury to say Newcastle, MOD to Bristol and so on (and all those civil servants - made redundant in London if they don't want to move - just like any relocating manufacturer will do) I will cheer him on. Level up and pull the regions up (including us in Norwich/Norfolk). "

👍

I think you'll find people* have good memories, short and long term.

*Excludes brexiters.

Edited by Herman

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Im not trying to defend anything, all governments break promises , you can either chose to dwell on the failures of the past or look forward to something better, if you chose the former that looks pretty miserable to me.

So if they're not accountable for past lies, why on Earth would you believe a word they say now? That's not even optimistic - it's delusional

Edited by kick it off

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

So if they're not accountable for past lies, why on Earth would you believe a word they say now? That's not even optimistic - it's delusional

15 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yes, and what are they taking away with the other hand to ensure that they're no better off? When you find it, do let me know.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Just a passing thought on Brexit before I chill out.

We know from endless surveys that a huge proportion of Brexiters are OAPs (and on here too)- whereas Remainers are very much still economically active on the whole (45 years was the cross-over age).  

How do you suggest the average Brexiter - probably by mode an OAP - helps to reinvigorate the country / economy - to make Britain 'Great' again ?  Perhaps they should go back to work, start a new business (the NHS need more nurses as well).

Or are they just cheering from the sidelines; cosy pensions, high asset value houses. Do as I say not as I do.

I'm going for rampant city win tonight. It's overdue (and needed). Be interesting to see if Cantwell is dropped/starts given that childish rant on twitter and how the club reacts to it.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Yes, and what are they taking away with the other hand to ensure that they're no better off? When you find it, do let me know.

The council tax rise to pay for social care will take a chunk out of the 6.2%, I'm sure there will be more stealth tax increases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Just a passing thought on Brexit before I chill out.

We know from endless surveys that a huge proportion of Brexiters are OAPs (and on here too)- whereas Remainers are very much still economically active on the whole (45 years was the cross-over age).  

How do you suggest the average Brexiter - probably by mode an OAP - helps to reinvigorate the country / economy - to make Britain 'Great' again ?  Perhaps they should go back to work, start a new business (the NHS need more nurses as well).

Or are they just cheering from the sidelines; cosy pensions, high asset value houses. Do as I say not as I do.

I'm going for rampant city win tonight. It's overdue (and needed). Be interesting to see if Cantwell is dropped/starts given that childish rant on twitter and how the club reacts to it.

I’m going for a big win too, I’ll be there cheering from the sidelines!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think you'll find people* have good memories, short and long term.

*Excludes brexiters.

Long term far better 😀 No idea where me keys are.

Edited by Van wink

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The council tax rise to pay for social care will take a chunk out of the 6.2%, I'm sure there will be more stealth tax increases.

ALOS gets it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

For those of you that like the whole story and not a selective edit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

It's an article about a Pentagon report to Pres. Bush. A number of scenarios are in the report, this highlights the worst case. It would be interesting to know if in the intervening 15 years there were any changes to US Government policy on climate change or whether there were any subsequent reports from the Pentagon to whichever  President was in office at the time.

It's very stupid to take this story in isolation, a lot happens in 15 years.

A bigger problem will be lack of water due to wells drying out as they currently are, as aquifers deplete, which will mean that many countries will not be able to access water to drink or provide irrigation to produce food for their burgeoning populations.