Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Worst Labour total since 1935. I have to say I didnt believe Labour could go under 200 seats.

The wrong leader and Brexit has killed them, probably for a decade.

Just now, ricardo said:

Worst Labour total since 1935. I have to say I didnt believe Labour could go under 200 seats.

The wrong leader and Brexit has killed them, probably for a decade.

Wrong leader and wrong front bench. They need to clear out the Momentum nutters, but they probably wont, nothing more than protest group.

Pound is soaring.

• Like 1

What's the likelihood the exit poll is really, really wrong?

Big shock as far as I'm concerned, everything seemed to be pointing to things getting closer and closer as we reached today.

Labour's policies were too far to the left. To a young person they were going to nationalise the internet. Corbyn and McDonnell are dour couple of ****s. We needed a strong opposition and we got a couple of duffers.

• Like 1

Couple of interesting comments there by Kienssberg et all on bbc

If the majority is that big then he doesn’t have to plead with the more extreme Brexiteer conservatives

Kuenssberg then adds that he has the safety net of ignoring promises made regarding getting brexit done!

interesting.

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not at all. I never called for the result of the referendum to be overturned, and I expected a Tory victory once May quit. Just a prediction I think will come true.

And I suspect you may be among those who will find they sense of joy greatly diminishing as the years roll on under a Johnson prime ministership, with an economically catastrophic  Brexit nowhere near the semi-soft version you said you wanted, and with the rest of the business of government equally mismanaged.

At least, if this result is correct, he can negotiate from a position of strength and it may well result in a softer brexit than the one we would get if the ERG still held the whip hand

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

At least, if this result is correct, he can negotiate from a position of strength and it may well result in a softer brexit than the one we would get if the ERG still held the whip hand

Strength in terms of domestic numbers - the EU still holds all the cards in the deck, just as they always have.

1 minute ago, Hillhead said:

Couple of interesting comments there by Kienssberg et all on bbc

If the majority is that big then he doesn’t have to plead with the more extreme Brexiteer conservatives

Kuenssberg then adds that he has the safety net of ignoring promises made regarding getting brexit done!

interesting.

I suspect the pace may not be as quick as expected once the reality sinks in. 

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Wishful thinking  !!!

At least we’ll have a party in Parliament with a clear majority and no more of this hung Parliament BS for the next 5 years.

• Like 2

When Corbyn was elected leader, George Osborn said it was proof that God was a Tory. Not wrong was he.

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Strength in terms of domestic numbers - the EU still holds all the cards in the deck, just as they always have.

Never mind, this was only an advisory election😉

The real fault lies with those that voted Remain, including all those shameless MP's in the Tory party. Instead of honouring the result they have wasted over 3 years which has allowed the seeds of discontent to be sown and flourish, no I am sorry you can't blame those that wanted freedom from the EU, the blames lies firmly at the feet of the Remainers who have done everything in their power to wreck democracy in an attempt to overturn a democratic vote.

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Quite right. And there is no sign Johnson wants a softer Brexit. Certainly many of the Tory backers and the Americans Johnson wants to do business with will demand a low-regulation world.

Edited by PurpleCanary

The Indian community epitomises all that is great about our country. Arrived poor, rolled their sleeves up, got to work, didn't ask for handouts, special favours, but integrated without losing their cultural identity. Now they take part in government, run big businesses, do charitable work. They are a model for other immigrant communities. And they will thrive under a conservative government

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The real fault lies with those that voted Remain, including all those shameless MP's in the Tory party. Instead of honouring the result they have wasted over 3 years which has allowed the seeds of discontent to be sown and flourish, no I am sorry you can't blame those that wanted freedom from the EU, the blames lies firmly at the feet of the Remainers who have done everything in their power to wreck democracy in an attempt to overturn a democratic vote.

Sorry Swindo, I can and will continue to blame the Turkeys for being thick enough to vote for perpetual Christmas. Selling the country up the river based on snake oil. The real fault lies with morons like you who are too thick to know what you're voting for.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Sorry Swindo, I can and will continue to blame the Turkeys for being thick enough to vote for Christmas. Selling the country up the river based on snake oil. The real fault lies with morons like you who are too thick to know what you're voting for.

Awful lotta thick turkeys in the UK then.......

• Like 1

If it is accurate, and there is no reason to think that it isn't, then it is unbelievable that Labour cannot get to 220.

I should have read the signs yesterday when one of my golf chums, a former Labour Parish Councillor, who I knew had resigned from the party, said he wasn't even going to vote for them and hoped Corbyn was humiliated so that the centre of the Party regained control.

But as Alan Johnson has just said, Momentum will claim it as a victory because a glorious defeat is some kind of result.

Obviously Brexit was probably the main reason but the trend of movement to the right meant that the policies didn't appeal.

Personally, I am worried by the predicted large margin as this can't be overturned in one parliament even with Richard Head as PM.

Some of the more extreme right wing posters on here can gloat, fair enough, but if as you have been saying, the country comes first then choose your thoughts and words carefully.

The country really will have made it clear what they want this time and no amount of argument will mean anything. The greater amount will be delighted so fair play.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Awful lotta thick turkeys in the UK then.......

First sensible thing you've said in quite some time Mello. I agree.

Well I predicted 58 this morning , not too shabby

The red wall to fall 

Tory Remainers couldn't bring themselves to vote for corbyn

. The real fault lies with morons like you who are too thick to know what you're voting for.

The lefties just can't get past this. It's why they lost. 

• Like 1

I wonder if our club Matriarch is sobbing into her glass of Dom Perignon Vintage?......

Edited by Mello Yello
double entry