Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Less than four hours left to vote.

Betting says it will be close.

The squeeze on Lib Dems is good news for my tip.

Seems to be an awful lot of chatter about extremely high turnout and a youthquake.

Not overly optimistic but more hopeful than I was this morning.

Key one to watch could be Uxbridge - lots of rumblings that Boris' seat is in serious jeopardy.

I have little faith in the British public to make any kind of sensible decision and deny the Tories a majority, but fingers crossed I will be surprised.

12 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Seems to be an awful lot of chatter about extremely high turnout and a youthquake.

Not overly optimistic but more hopeful than I was this morning.

Key one to watch could be Uxbridge - lots of rumblings that Boris' seat is in serious jeopardy.

I have little faith in the British public to make any kind of sensible decision and deny the Tories a majority, but fingers crossed I will be surprised.

Polling companies will have got it very wrong if that happens. Its all rumour and conjecture at the moment. Not long to wait before we find out.

Pretty steady at my polling station but not anything I didn’t see at the last one. I went a bit late for the youth vote so can’t tell if there was anything different in turnout demographic.

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Rumours now saying Tories down in London but up in midlands and north.

Much as was expected.

I did feel they would lose a few seats in their homelands but steal a few in Labour belt. Odd times.

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Anyone prepared

to have a guess at the result?

23 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Ok

Prediction time 

I forecast (guess) conservative majority of 30

I would expect most on here would agree (regardless of their politics) by, say plus/minus 15 seats?

I cheated and looked at Russia Today 

🤓

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Come on Herman you can have first guess😀

Too worried to even risk a guess.

It like every current City game. Expect the worst, hope for the best....

Edited by Herman

Well done elastic

Here's mine

Con 345    Lab 222  Lib  18  Green  1  SNP  45         Norn Iron 19

works out about 40 maj I think.

Sheer gueswork

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Very quiet in mine. But it is belting it down and Tipping Point was on.😀

Very quiet at mine also, but then the whole campaign has been like that here.

Really surprised given that I'm in a quite marginal Labour/Lib Dem constituency but this has been the quietest campaign in the 30 plus years we've lived here. The Lib Dems have pumped out a huge and regular stream of leaflets so clearly think they can win it back - which is entirely possible, a couple of token gestures only from Labour and nothing at all from the Tories or Brexit Company.

Strange really, when we moved in many years ago this constituency had never elected anything other than a Tory MP. But since 1992 it has never elected a Tory MP and probably never will again - can't really claim the credit for that but obviously we did our bit to lower the tone of the neighbourhood  😀

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Very quiet at mine also, but then the whole campaign has been like that here.

Really surprised given that I'm in a quite marginal Labour/Lib Dem constituency but this has been the quietest campaign in the 30 plus years we've lived here. The Lib Dems have pumped out a huge and regular stream of leaflets so clearly think they can win it back - which is entirely possible, a couple of token gestures only from Labour and nothing at all from the Tories or Brexit Company.

Strange really, when we moved in many years ago this constituency had never elected anything other than a Tory MP. But since 1992 it has never elected a Tory MP and probably never will again - can't really claim the credit for that but obviously we did our bit to lower the tone of the neighbourhood  😀

Come on CM lets have your guess, we are all equally in the dark.

I reckon majority of 19. Think it’s tighter than the polls predicted but can’t see anything other than a Tory majority. Which is damning because they’ve been useless. But the only thing more useless than the Tory government has been the Labour opposition.

Can see myself voting Labour in future when they go back to being sensible and moderate, not a bunch of Jew-hating Marxists.

3 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

This is fake?

No one can be that stupid?

🤣

I could be kind and say it is their attempt to be funny, but as no Conservative has laughed since Kinnock fell over, I'll assume they cocked up.🤣

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I could be kind and say it is their attempt to be funny, but as no Conservative has laughed since Kinnock fell over, I'll assume they cocked up.🤣

Not true, I nearly cried laughing when Brown saved the world.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

😲😀

There was barely any Lib Dem vote to squeeze, don't get your hopes up.

6 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

This is fake?

No one can be that stupid?

🤣

Well..............rumours circulating that some ardent Brexiteers have voted for both the Tory and Brexit Company on their ballot paper - just to be doubly sure that Brexit gets done!   🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Is it possible for Tories to win and Boris to be PM if he loses his seat?

Also, wonder if the Lib Dem vote collapse was exactly what they intended when they advised people to vote tactically?!

As an aside I would not be sad to see the end of Chuka Umunna this election, guy really gets on my nerves.

Not much about this is funny but it would be piquant if a) Johnson gets thrown out and/or b) the result exactly replicates 2017, so whoever is the Tory PM/leader has to try to get the DUP to swallow the border in the Irish Sea.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Also, wonder if the Lib Dem vote collapse was exactly what they intended when they advised people to vote tactically?!

As an aside I would not be sad to see the end of Chuka Umunna this election, guy really gets on my nerves.

Yes.

11 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I believe this happened a few decades back, for a period of a couple of weeks, I need to check though

Edit- Alec Douglas-Home was prime minister whilst not in the commons. He was a Lord, but renounced his peerage and stood in a vacant seat, which he won to become an MP

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man