Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

The real pastie shop in Bridport do very nice pasties. I kow its not Cornwall but its fairly west countryish.

I know Bridport fairly well. Dorset is a pretty county. You try and get a car park in Lyme Regis
All Cornish Pasties should be free. Its the least we can do thanks to all the EU money we have had to improve life down here.
Edited by keelansgrandad

49 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The real pastie shop in Bridport do very nice pasties. I kow its not Cornwall but its fairly west countryish.

I know Bridport fairly well. Dorset is a pretty county. You try and get a car park in Lyme Regis
All Cornish Pasties should be free. Its the least we can do thanks to all the EU money we have had to improve life down here.

👍

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes, Dorset is my favourite county, after Norfolk of course. Lyme is always a joy to visit. Don't park at the big car park half way up the hill, its a right drag struggling back up again.👍

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Free The Pastie! 🗝️

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

A proper Pastie is made of beef , onion, potatoes and swede !

Anything else ain't really a Pastie.

A very good idea from the EU to give Cornish Pasties protected status to avoid poor immitations.

Nothing in Johnsons plan to continue this, will probably lead to the market being flooded by crap pasties.

• Like 1

Nothing in Johnsons plan to continue this, will probably lead to the market being flooded by crap pasties.

He must be a shareholder in Ginsters then.

Home Shirt Adult 2019-20

Michael Gove name-checked Ginsters as his favourite pasty brand on a recent visit to Cornwall – unwittingly outraging many fans of the traditional dish.

Nails it for me

"The British economy is not broken. It has proven remarkably resilient in the face of Brexit uncertainty. Labour’s plans would exponentially increase the risks to the economy. A responsible centre-left programme to restore fairness and opportunity, to rebuild public services, and preserve private sector incentives, was there for the taking. Mr Corbyn has missed an open goal. "

This is what they said in 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/26/conservative-labour-tax-spending-plans-ifs-general-election-manifesto

Neither party’s general election manifesto sets out an honest set of choices, says leading thinktank

It will be same for this election, just as it's been the same for probably all of them.

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

What's this wally talking about? I'm all for it.  As a public sector worker I get a 5% pay rise and a four day week. Oh and free high speed broadband. My daughter will not have to pay back her student loan so she's pleased too! What could possibly go wrong? 😜

18 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

What's this wally talking about? I'm all for it.  As a public sector worker I get a 5% pay rise and a four day week. Oh and free high speed broadband. My daughter will not have to pay back her student loan so she's pleased too! What could possibly go wrong? 😜

You forgot the free pasty.....looks like Corbyn has gone for broke😉

Edited by Van wink
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Until he runs out of billionaires🤣

3 hours ago, Herman said:

British democracy is not in a healthy state.

Yes, we know -- Lefty Remainiacs have well & truly seen to that...

Have you read the Labour manifesto, Hermaphrodite? I say manifesto - it's more a communist wishlist 🤪

😀  👇

Shadow Education Secretary Angela Rayner took the bold decision this morning to praise seventeen years of Tory government – an odd move for the middle of an election. She claimed that in 1996 – after four consecutive Tory election victories – she had “an NHS that was there for me.” Straight from the mouth of the Shadow Cabinet – the NHS is safe in Tory hands…  🙃 😀

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

I agree Corbyn has gone for broke but no University tuition fees (typical student debt 50K/person) will certainly attract many a younger voter and who could blame them?  Equally the 66 year old pension age is something for the elderly.

It may just work well enough as per last time to get him back in the game - or to deny Johnson anyway.  

10 hours ago, Van wink said:

Nails it for me

"The British economy is not broken. It has proven remarkably resilient in the face of Brexit uncertainty. Labour’s plans would exponentially increase the risks to the economy. A responsible centre-left programme to restore fairness and opportunity, to rebuild public services, and preserve private sector incentives, was there for the taking. Mr Corbyn has missed an open goal. "

There's a surprise. 

I suppose you will be costing and scrutinising the tory manifesto? 

Don’t you agree Herman? Don’t you think that this was a great opportunity for a centre left party to sweep in to power?

9 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I agree Corbyn has gone for broke but no University tuition fees (typical student debt 50K/person) will certainly attract many a younger voter and who could blame them?  Equally the 66 year old pension age is something for the elderly.

It may just work well enough as per last time to get him back in the game - or to deny Johnson anyway.  

He was always going to get the student vote, do you know what they plan to do about existing student debt, if they are writing that off as well it will broaden the appeal to a wide age group. As for the pensions, I suspect older people will have more sense than to fall for this, what good is a pension when inflation is in double figures. Some on here believe that Brexit will be a mill stone around the necks of our children, this lot would sink them.As for myself, he has missed a trick, if he had promised free pasties twice a week, delivered, I would have been bought.

Edited by Van wink

I don't think their manifesto is bad. There are some good aspects to it. Some aspirational, some unnecessary. But there is enough in there to give people some hope that this country can move forward. 

And no, older people have clearly proven that they don't have more sense to fall for **** promises. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Don’t you think that this was a great opportunity for a centre left party to sweep in to power?

Definitely not - FPTP has always polarised our politics and now more so than ever.

It is binary and driving the two established parties to extremes.

There simply is no centre ground in UK politics any more and the voters are gravitating to one or other of the only two parties that they think can win even though they have both vividly demonstrated how useless and untrustworthy they are.

A very dire demonstration of how a sh*t electoral system delivers sh*t parliaments/governments, which if we were honest with ourselves we'd realise has happened in this country on a very regular basis over the last 50 years and looks set to continue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Definitely not - FPTP has always polarised our politics and now more so than ever.

It is binary and driving the two established parties to extremes.

There simply is no centre ground in UK politics any more and the voters are gravitating to one or other of the only two parties that they think can win even though they have both vividly demonstrated how useless and untrustworthy they are.

A very dire demonstration of how a sh*t electoral system delivers sh*t parliaments/governments, which if we were honest with ourselves we'd realise has happened in this country on a very regular basis over the last 50 years and looks set to continue.

I don’t accept that, if there was an electable centrist party it would perform very well imo. 

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

So you think leaving the EU will ruin this country ? Wait till Labour get in !

No to both - incompetent, lying, corrupt politicians have already ruined this country but that doesn't mean it can't get worse still as Boris is already demonstrating.