Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Voters see that Johnson did something that seemed impossible in getting the EU to renegotiate (actually that involved getting the border back in the Irish Sea which was what the EU wanted all along but that is a nicety most won't care about) and then got it voted on approvingly in the Commons (something May never managed), only to be thwarted by some arcane procedure. And by MPs who thwart the ref. result by rejecting Brexit deals but cannot come up with any alternative.

I think you may be underestimating voters intelligence here. I don't believe that many Labour voters who voted Leave will desert the Party when it comes to an Election. There will be five weeks of campaigning and many of the policies that people found to their taste before will be resurrected.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Just seen this and can't disagree with much of it. The spin is working thanks to poor or complicit journalism. And a hell of a lot of voters do not follow the minutiae and the detail. 

really ?

have another read - it is more spin than you will see in any journalism

"arcane procedure" !

and it is industrial strength twaddle to talk about it only needing more time, as any extra time will show this cobbled together 'deal' is totally unworkable ..... that's why it was pulled once the suggestion of scrutiny became fact

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

really ?

have another read - it is more spin than you will see in any journalism

"arcane procedure" !

and it is industrial strength twaddle to talk about it only needing more time, as any extra time will show this cobbled together 'deal' is totally unworkable ..... that's why it was pulled once the suggestion of scrutiny became fact

Why don't you actually read the bloody thing and try and understand what he is saying. 

You are the remain version of Paul Moy at the moment. 

• Like 1

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Were they sent to a concentration camp?

What? Eastbourne?

I think Bognor 😉

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Voters see that Johnson did something that seemed impossible in getting the EU to renegotiate (actually that involved getting the border back in the Irish Sea which was what the EU wanted all along but that is a nicety most won't care about) and then got it voted on approvingly in the Commons (something May never managed), only to be thwarted by some arcane procedure. And by MPs who thwart the ref. result by rejecting Brexit deals but cannot come up with any alternative.

I think you may be underestimating voters intelligence here. I don't believe that many Labour voters who voted Leave will desert the Party when it comes to an Election. There will be five weeks of campaigning and many of the policies that people found to their taste before will be resurrected.

Its a fair point KG, but Labour need a resolution to Brexit before an election if they want their other policies to get the sort of coverage they would like

Just now, Herman said:

Why don't you actually read the bloody thing and try and understand what he is saying. 

You are the remain version of Paul Moy at the moment. 

I know exactly what he is saying, and the intention behind.

Shame you don't, and so have to rely upon cheap insults

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Its a fair point KG, but Labour need a resolution to Brexit at the start of an election campaign

there fixed it for you

and there is no purpose in that until that campaign, as opinion polls count for diddley squat

May was 25 points ahead when the 2017 election was called

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

there fixed it for you

and there is no purpose in that until that campaign, as opinion polls count for diddley squat

May was 25 points ahead when the 2017 election was called

Keep your paws of my posts 

Its a fair point KG, but Labour need a resolution to Brexit before an election if they want their other policies to get the sort of coverage they would like

To be fair to him, Corbyn has said many times, although the juxtaposition isn't clear,  that he would like an election and would back a deal if it included things such as a Customs Union. I'm sure that he would emphasise that he never blocked a deal only a bad one. And that the Tories themselves voted against at the same time as him.

"Priti Patel has described a surge in recorded hate crime as “a good thing”, because it means the police are recording more offences.

Giving evidence to MPs, the home secretary was asked “what is being done” to tackle a record high in offences – revealed last week – including a big leap in attacks on transgender people. "

good news for the victims of stabbings then 🙄

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

To be fair to him, Corbyn has said many times, although the juxtaposition isn't clear,  that he would like an election and would back a deal if it included things such as a Customs Union. I'm sure that he would emphasise that he never blocked a deal only a bad one. And that the Tories themselves voted against at the same time as him.

Why commit until you know the full story ?

Johnson is making such a monumental fark up of this that only a fool would offer up any form of distraction.

Let him tear apart the bigot vote, as Farage similarly waits to rip onto the corpse.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That wasnt quite the point I was making, my point was that all the other policies wont get much air time if Brexit isnt resolved, it will turn into a one issue election.

• Like 1

Flextension to June 2020 anybody ? We'll have forgotten what it was all about by then (many have or never knew already) 🙂

Edited by Yellow Fever

That wasnt quite the point I was making, my point was that all the other policies wont get much air time if Brexit isnt resolved, it will turn into a one issue election.

That's true. In that case, the hustings will descend into a farce. Although it suits them to say it, those creeping around Johnson are correct that we have been over this ground so many times and that 3 hours could have settled it (although why would the opposition give him a break) apart from amendments.

Perhaps it should be election law that the different parties speak in turn at each others meetings. I am fed up with the usual standing ovations and endless applause and arm raising when politicians preach to the converted.

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Probably best to have a People's vote to settle it properly.😉

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Probably best to have a People's vote to settle it properly.😉

From what I read support for another referendum has marginally increased in parliament but I still doubt there is sufficient for it to happen.

The latest poll I've seen would give some heart to remainers should it happen though.

Latest EU Referendum Voting Intention from Deltapoll (comparison with 5-7 Sept): Leave 45 (-2) Remain 55 (+2) Sample: 2,017 Fieldwork: 18-21 Oct 2019

Unlike this one for our Corbynista friends

Latest Voting Intention from Deltapoll (comparison with 5-7 Sept): Con 37 (+6) Lab 24 (-4) Lib Dem 19 (+2) Brexit Party 11 (-2) Others 9 (-2) Sample: 2,017 Fieldwork: 18-21 Oct 2019

Edited by Van wink

You're likely to be right. Recent noises show that Labour are still torn about it. Although they shouldn't really want an election either.

49 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Johnson runs away from scrutiny by MP's, what a coward.

Not really, probably lining someone up who actually knows whats in the WA, wouldnt want to be making it up as he went along now would he.😀

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

From what I read support for another referendum has marginally increased in parliament but I still doubt there is sufficient for it to happen.

The latest poll I've seen would give some heart to remainers should it happen though.

Latest EU Referendum Voting Intention from Deltapoll (comparison with 5-7 Sept): Leave 45 (-2) Remain 55 (+2) Sample: 2,017 Fieldwork: 18-21 Oct 2019

Unlike this one for our Corbynista friends

Latest Voting Intention from Deltapoll (comparison with 5-7 Sept): Con 37 (+6) Lab 24 (-4) Lib Dem 19 (+2) Brexit Party 11 (-2) Others 9 (-2) Sample: 2,017 Fieldwork: 18-21 Oct 2019

If remain / Leave is really 55 / 45 and moving larger from September then MPs are right to pause and think.

Equally - Corbyn is clearly a loser - it's obvious what Labour needs to do!

Johnson is a proper threat to this country. If he gets his feet firmly under the table then I fear for our future. Not just him, but a lot of the people cheering and backing him are some of the worst examples of our countrymen.

And don't get me started on Corbyn and some of the Labour MPs that are letting him off the hook on a regular basis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Van wink said:

Which is why there needs to be a referendum. 

15 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Which is why there needs to be a referendum. 

Can’t see it getting a majority in the HOC

Are you basically saying that we shoudn't give the people another say because they will tell brexit to **** off??😀

• Like 1

On 21/10/2019 at 10:52, Hoola Han Solo said:

Anyone seen the easily triggered snowflake Jools recently?

He must be taking a ‘break’ 😄

330440AE-8DD2-4835-BEC1-87A1A15E2168.jpeg

Interesting list from Shyster (a name from the past), but he obviously hasn’t heard that ‘PurpleCanary’ has finally been outed by City1st not just as ‘a closet Brexiteer’ but apparently as yet another in the dazzling array of Van Wink’s totally fake posters (hence the inverted commas round the name).

VW does not get enough credit for not just dreaming up at least half a dozen cod characters but for giving them such different personalities and styles of writing.

I mean, it barely seems credible, but plainly it must be, that Mello Yello, with that offbeat zenlike humour, Rock The Boat, fiercely combative to a fault and perhaps beyond, and Len, for whom everything is a conspiracy apart from those that really are, actually are not genuine people but have sprung from VW’s fertile brain. Not to mention photoshopping so brilliant you would swear it was a genuine image.

And the genius to realise back as far as 2004 that there would be a Brexit referendum, when no-one was seriously imagining such an event, and so to start creating these characters, even before joining the board as himself!

VW invented Mello Yello in 2004, Paul Moy in 2005, and myself in 2007. In fact all the six or so (some posters get occasionally added), completed by Rock The Boat, Bagster and Len, joined before he did in July 2015. Such incredible foresight on his part.

I knew City1st would rumble me eventually. The strain of playing the part of a milksop Remainer was showing in my posts. But I suspect VW had my unmasking factored in all along. Find one Fifth Columnist poster, was his logic, and they won’t look for another, for his really deeply hidden secret-Brexiter double-agent. I guess it would be a real firebrand of a pretend-Remainer, but I am stumped as to who that could be.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Haha 2