Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

22 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Britain's chief Brexit negotiator David Frost said Friday that Britain remains "committed to a successful outcome" in talks with Brussels after little progress was made in the fourth round of crucial talks.

"Progress remains limited but our talks have been positive in tone. Negotiations will continue and we remain committed to a successful outcome," said Frost in London after the talks.

"We are close to reaching the limits of what we can achieve through the format of remote formal Rounds. If we are to make progress, it is clear that we must intensify and accelerate our work," he said.

May be you can sleep a little better now, instead of worrying !

I have no wish whatsoever to engage in any insult with you Swindon as it's not my way (that's my qualification out of the way) ...

...and yet I want to ask whether you believe that there is any real chance of reaching agreement or whether this is all just a filibustering exercise until at least the 30th, after which no extension is possible  to reach a workable deal ends.

And secondly, do you think we are heading for a no deal. And if so, is it something you are in favour of?

Thirdly, when you voted for Brexit, was a no deal an issue for you or would it not have mattered anyway, because you felt so strongly you just wanted to leave the EU.

Just wanting to understand for my own peace of mind from someone who clearly is so passionate about Brexit and leaving.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh dear

you really are that stupid

once the transition period is over...however long

the UK will be trading on WTO rules, as it is either in the EU

or out, so WTO rules !

I'll reminded of that, like I did when you stated we would never leave the EU !

Edited by SwindonCanary

The real concern is that there are probably millions of others out there, just as ill-informed - as it is clear he hasn't the slightest idea of any of this

That the UK can avoid having to trade under WTO rules by cobbling together some deal with the EU. And that after fours years of having it explained to him here and elsewhere.

One of the bleats has been that the UK should not be compliant with EU standards. However

"Under a hard Brexit/“WTO rules” scenario, without mutual recognition agreements for product standards, it is unlikely that UK products could enter the EU without further checks at the border. Over time, if there is divergence between UK and EU standards, UK businesses would need to produce two different product lines - one for the UK and one for the EU - which would increase costs and reduce competitiveness. "

That's how it is, irrespective of what I or others might think. Likewise explain why this definition of MFN is wrong

"It's important to remember that, under the WTO's "most favoured nation" rules, the UK couldn't just lower tariffs for the EU, or any specific country, unless it had agreed a trade deal. It has to treat every WTO member around the world with which it does not have a trade deal in the same way. "

And if it is not the why not try to grasp the implications ?

25 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I have no wish whatsoever to engage in any insult with you Swindon as it's not my way (that's my qualification out of the way) ...

...and yet I want to ask whether you believe that there is any real chance of reaching agreement or whether this is all just a filibustering exercise until at least the 30th, after which no extension is possible  to reach a workable deal ends. it's in talks, there will be actuations on both sides until they come to an agreement 

And secondly, do you think we are heading for a no deal. And if so, is it something you are in favour of? no it's not what I want and I'm not in favour of it.

Thirdly, when you voted for Brexit, was a no deal an issue for you or would it not have mattered anyway, because you felt so strongly you just wanted to leave the EU. YES,

Just wanting to understand for my own peace of mind from someone who clearly is so passionate about Brexit and leaving.

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'll reminded of that, like I did when you stated we would never leave the EU !

That does not address the lies you have posted/

And come back when the UK has left the ECJ, the Single Market, the Customs Union and no longer has the same 'open' borders policy

and when the UK is no longer paying into the EU (the same amount) - and when it removes the EU required border within the UK

Simply lying to force through a deal that it cannot now sustain and is having to back track on is not achieving ANYTHING that you claimed it would.

Now why not answer why you think the UK can avoid trading on WTO rules.

17 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Thanks for this.

Just on the third question, which I might have asked more concisely, I'm assuming that a no deal was an issue for you (because this corresponds with your comment in question two) rather than being secondary to simply being out? (I know of a person who feels that it doesn't matter whatever, as long as we have left. Indeed I know he wouldn't care if there was a no deal).

I have a sense a no deal has always been the government's preferred option but we seem to be going through the motions and every comment I've heard from cabinet ministers appears not to contradict that sense.

12 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Thanks for this.

Just on the third question, which I might have asked more concisely, I'm assuming that a no deal was an issue for you (because this corresponds with your comment in question two) rather than being secondary to simply being out? (I know of a person who feels that it doesn't matter whatever, as long as we have left. Indeed I know he wouldn't care if there was a no deal).

I have a sense a no deal has always been the government's preferred option but we seem to be going through the motions and every comment I've heard from cabinet ministers appears not to contradict that sense.

I feel they will come to some sort of agreement, as both side have too much to lose. Having said that, there is a lot wrong with the WTO but we could use it with no trouble.

11 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I would very, very much doubt that, as the UK has neither the physical infrastructure, nor staff and systems to cope with a no deal exit. I doubt the food stores/medicines that were built up in 2019

I think the plan was always one of who will blink first, as there was little else left after the disastrous Withdrawal agreement was signed, as a 'we didn't really mean it, so can we change now' was never going to work.

That had minimal chance of working - and with the unknowns of the virus, it certainly cannot now.

I hope you're right. I have a decreasing amount of confidence as the weeks ebb away.

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I feel they will come to some sort of agreement, as both side have too much to lose. Having said that, there is a lot wrong with the WTO but we could use it with no trouble.

It will not be a case of 'could' use it. The UK has no choice as outside of the EU it has to fall back on it's WTO membership.

Now why not address the problems of that.

MFN for instance. Losing all the benefits of EU trade deals, having to continue to use EU schedules (pay for them) but not have a say in their formation.

So under WTO the UK still uses EU schedules. I assume you understand all that and it's implications. So why have you never complained ?

Hey Swindon, how do you feel about the decision to consider lowering food standards in the negotiations with USA, going against their manifesto in the last election?

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

"We are close to reaching the limits of what we can achieve through the format of remote formal Rounds. If we are to make progress, it is clear that we must intensify and accelerate our work," he said.

So you can read that a couple of ways. I take it there has been no progress, and they will lay the blame for lack of progress on inability to meet face to face. 

To other's comments. I do not know if the PM wants a no deal, but there are clearly many members of his party - and importantly financier's of his party - that do. And I think that is what we are goin to get unless Labour and the press apply maximum pressure on them.

It gives me no pleasure in pointing out the common sense on the other side of the Brexit negotiations in contrast to our own government's incompetence, dishonesty and mendacity. However there it is. 

Edited by Surfer

47 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

The sum total of Swindon's thinking over the last four years  😂

In fairness to Swindon, his reply was in bold within the quote of sonyc’s comment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

The sum total of Swindon's thinking over the last four years  😂

No empty reply box from me, my thinking over the last four years shows how I've been stitched up on here !

7 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Why have you posted the words of an avowed racist in a brexit thread ?

Does she reflect your views on racism, and do they underpin your thoughts on the EU ?

And maybe, tell us what you subscribe to in order to get this level of racism sent to you

I love it that I can leave this board for hours and it will keep you remainers entertained for a long time after

= little things !

Edited by SwindonCanary

Nobody had posted anything for two hours and that was only to remind people that you watch videos of known racist Hatie Kopkins,

I am not sure that pointing out your affinity with known racists could be called entertaining

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

I love it that I can leave this board for hours and it will keep you remainers entertained for a long time after

= little things !

Any chance you might answer my question?

10 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Hey Swindon, how do you feel about the decision to consider lowering food standards in the negotiations with USA, going against their manifesto in the last election?

do you mean this question ?

I guess you are talking about the chlorinated chicken, I don't see a problem, as long as it's stated clearly what it is. People can make their own minds up. I see from a recent pole most people would not buy it.

Edited by SwindonCanary
c

I guess you are talking about the chlorinated chicken, I don't see a problem, as long as it's stated clearly what it is. People can make their own minds up. I see from a recent pole most people would not buy it.

Except that the USA don’t want products to have labels with the country of origin on them as it is a ‘barrier to trade”. You can bet that they know that a lot of people don’t want chlorinated chicken so don’t you think they will do all they can to try and hide what it is they’re selling to us?

• Like 1

How the hell will they know ?

"The US government also officially considers country-of-origin labelling a barrier to trade, suggesting it is likely to push for such practices to be outlawed in a free trade agreement. This would make it impossible for consumers to tell whether their product had been sourced from the US.''

And if this filth enters the country it can be processed into pies, burgers etc which then become a British product. Even selling 8 chicken thighs in a pack ensures they are British.

However it will come as no surprise to anyone here that you are ignorant about this matter - as your levels of ignorance and stupidity over brexit  have remained at the same levels throughout the past four years.

Meat destined for the human food chain found riddled with fecal matter and abscesses filled with pus

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2018-02-21/dirty-us-meat-could-come-over-here-after-brexit

"Britain currently protects certain foods to ensure they’re made to specific standards and to promote local farming and industry. Think Cornish pasties, Melton Mowbray pork pies, Scottish wild salmon and Stilton blue cheese. In trade talks to date, the US has “pressed the UK to move away from current EU approach on generic terms”. American companies would be able to produce Cornish pasties on a massive scale and sell them back to us. The US also wants to “eliminate … unjustified labelling” saying it unfairly discriminates against American foods and, incredibly, the administration “view the introduction of warning labels as harmful rather than as a step to public health”."

This is what you have voted for and continue to support. While the EU has argued strongly that regional food as above need to be protected you have argued for that protection to be removed

"Cornish pasties could soon be made in France and still be called ‘Cornish’ after British Brexit negotiators failed to secure the same guarantees for British products in the EU, it has been claimed."

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornish-pasties-could-lose-eu-4181240

yep, fck the UK and fck Cornwall is your message...what's wrong with a 'cornish pasty' made in china - except that you won't know it is made in china or what is in it

So well done you 🤨

Edited by Bill

The "oven ready deal" that "got brexit done" was not at all ready and turns out to be "unfair". Good at three word slogans, terrible at anything else. Here's a three word slogan "Useless Fat ****".