Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

On 01/06/2020 at 17:30, SwindonCanary said:

I'd be happy with any reduction in the crime figures. The Electorate voted to leave the EU ( Are you in favour of that ?)   If we end up with a hard Brexit, it will be the EU's fault. All we are asking is a deal that has no ties to the EU.

Transfer news

Tim Krul contract runs out soon - he says he wants a deal, but with ties to the club !

Meanwhile Nissan have confirmed what the rest of us already knew - a hard brexit, and they will be off..... as might the rest, as the tariffs involved would push costs above economic viability

So the UK either has to stick with the deal it has already agreed, or fall back on WTO rules which will be a free for all as far as countries exporting to the UK,

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

@SwindonCanary-three million chinese on the way now as well, how is that border thing going for you?

I suppose it'll mean he has a small chance of getting a new 'real' girlfriend. 🤭🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indeed, but I am willing to bet (literally) there will not be an extension. If there is I will send nutty a pound for the CSF for every month of the extension.

I was going to expand on my reasoning but I see today The Guardian has a piece by Mutjaba Rahman  which covers most of what I would have said. I haven't been impressed by Rahman's analyses in the past, and as he says he used to hold the opposite view on this subject, but plainly he has seen sense at last.🤩

The only point I don't think he stresses enough is that Brexit has always been more of a crusade than a rational process, allied to which the UK, gawd help it, has a government that relies on symbols and soundbites rather than rational policies, and so the sheer symbolism of the clean break of leaving at midnight on December 31 is not to be underestimated:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/03/pandemic-no-deal-brexit-vote-leavers-coronavirus

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

I suppose it'll mean he has a small chance of getting a new 'real' girlfriend. 🤭🤣

Apples

how many time do I have to explain it, it's getting a little boring now

8 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

how many time do I have to explain it, it's getting a little boring now

Do it again, it gets funnier every time.

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Do it again, it gets funnier every time.

if you think it's funny then carry on 🤣

I THINK IT FUNNY YOU LOT STILL THINKING WE WILL DO BADLY

Edited by SwindonCanary

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I was going to expand on my reasoning but I see today The Guardian has a piece by Mutjaba Rahman  which covers most of what I would have said. I haven't been impressed by Rahman's analyses in the past, and as he says he used to hold the opposite view on this subject, but plainly he has seen sense at last.🤩

The only point I don't think he stresses enough is that Brexit has always been more of a crusade than a rational process, allied to which the UK, gawd help it, has a government that relies on symbols and soundbites rather than rational policies, and so the sheer symbolism of the clean break of leaving at midnight on December 31 is not to be underestimated:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/03/pandemic-no-deal-brexit-vote-leavers-coronavirus

Depressing read @PurpleCanary, particularly as it is so feasible. The monomania of this government means no other outcome is likely and the 80 seat majority means that we are stuck with them until 2024. Whether Johnson/Cummings last that long is another matter.

So is Pritti Patel going to apply the new points system to these 3 million Hong Kong Chinese? 

Like some others I have also lived there, not that many speak English. And their skills are largely in shipping and financing shipment of goods from China. 

Not skills we really need. And if we did this you know China would blacklist UK imports right?

So is this what you voted for Brexit to achieve? Or are the PM’s words meaningless and just for PR again to show “decisive action” 

By 2024 we will have left the EU and trading with the rest of the world (deals are already set for the end of the year)

It will be a lot better than any of you lot can see.

It won't ever be any good. You and your fellow brexiters have tainted this fine country and it's going to take many, many years to get over the bad feeling. You've achieved nothing of any benefit to the country and I feel a bit ashamed of what we have been doing to our friends and neighbours.

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

By 2024 we will have left the EU and trading with the rest of the world (deals are already set for the end of the year)

I know you don’t have any, so this is already a lost cause, but what evidence do you have for such deals? 

9 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I know you don’t have any, so this is already a lost cause, but what evidence do you have for such deals? 

He's confusing international trade deals with money off vouchers for Dominos that drop through his letterbox.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You are a sad lot ! cheer up !

Found any more Keir Starmer footage that has been edited to distort what he was saying?

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You are a sad lot ! cheer up !

maybe a photo of some 'dusky maiden' might cheer us up

perhaps you have one or two you could put up 🌴

35 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It will be a lot better than any of you lot can see.

I thought we had already left - and we are already trading with the rest of the world...we have been for hundreds of years and will continue to do so after 31st December 2020...deal or no deal

my though it that you don't understand ANY of this whatsoever, and that is intended as a serious appreciation of your knowledge on this matter not a slur or insult

you don't understand this - which is why you continually post up such absurd nonsense

I thought we had already left - and we are already trading with the rest of the world...we have been for hundreds of years and will continue to do so after 31st December 2020...deal or no deal

We can not start new trade until the end of 31st Dec.

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

So how are we trading now !

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Reading all the posts from remainers, how come everyone of you all look on the bad side ? Do you really want this country to go down hill just so you can say 'told you so '

Personally, I hope Brexit is a great success. There is no benefit to me if it isn't. I  would like to see the UK as part of the free trade zone that vote leave told us about 

I have concerns about delays at the French border and am unconvinced that  the lorry park and operation brock will resolve that. I have concerns that the current government isn't up to the job of negotiating the best deal for the country 

I sincerely hope my concerns are shown to be unfounded 

🙂

I don't see what Brexit brings to the table that we either;

1. Already didn't have with membership of the EU

2. Offers guaranteed, tangible benefits. 

Brexit represents a massive roll of the dice. Like HIWEM above, I sincerely hope I am proved absolutely wrong,  but it's a gamble I think could amount to serious economic damage, a gamble I'm even less happy for us to be undertaking now we face a global recession off the back of a world wide pandemic.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

no new trade deals !

So if we are already trading with the rest of the world, what incentive or advantage is there for a new one? 

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Dear god, you truly are thick

The UK cannot even START to negotiate any new trade deal until after the transition period, That is because, despite your ignorance, we are still technically in the EU.

Similar deals between the EU and Canada have taken around 7 seven years, Which means to trade, the UK has to comply with two requirements

1 Have a set of schedules, which will have to be those of the EU. So until any deal is struck the UK follows EU rules and regulations - with no say on any when they change

2. The UK will have to abide by WTO rules. One being 'most favoured nation' which means whatever the UK offers one country it has to offer every other country. So to get the free trade deal with the EU it would have to offer the same free trade deal with EVERY other country - only they don't have to offer that to us

It is abundantly clear that you don't grasp even the basic concerns of any this. And I imagine in your tiny mind 31st December is akin to the ending of a broadband contract, whereas any similarity would be to end an unlimited usage contract to go onto a dial up, pay per minute contract where you have no idea what the cost per minute is.

Now, what I would like you to do is explain where I am wrong in regard to both of the above points. As I shall regard a failure to do so as an acknowledgement of how it really is - and your subsequent guff is no more than LIES, Lies because you now know the truth of the matter, therefore you can only be lying

So, over to you - and perhaps you might care to tell us why Andrew Neil is wrong here, and in return I will tell you why the others are laughing

• Confused 1

And are you Brexiteers ready for a run on the Pound? or have your mates already shorted Sterling (fine lot of patriots you are if you did) 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-forex-poll-sterling-idUSKBN23B04C?taid=5ed868604b7b8500011e975f&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Sterling to take a pasting if UK seeks no extension for EU trade talks 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Dear god, you truly are thick

The UK cannot even START to negotiate any new trade deal until after the transition period, That is because, despite your ignorance, we are still technically in the EU.

No.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Looks like we're in for a couple of pages of semantics. 😀

I cannot why, and it is not as if this thread has a history of that kind of argument..😛

But it is a matter of fact that the UK left the EU on January 31 2020. Look at any list of EU countries and it gives 27, with the UK, sadly, not one of them. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I cannot why, and it is not as if this thread has a history of that kind of argument..😛

But it is a matter of fact that the UK left the EU on January 31 2020. Look at any list of EU countries and it gives 27, with the UK, sadly, not one of them. 

"I apologise, you are quite correct. What I should've said is that we have left in name only and as we are in the transition period our ability to negotiate trade deals is curtailed by the terms of the transition agreement."

Is one possible answer. 😀

• Thanks 1

Will the UK be able to do separate trade deals during the transition period?

We will be able to negotiate, sign and ratify new trade deals, but they won’t come in to force until the end of the transition or implementation period on 31 December 2020 (or later if the transition period is extended). That means the UK government can do everything needed to prepare separate trade deals with other countries which would start on 1 January 2021. This was agreed as part of the withdrawal deal.