Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

I think I've come to the conclusion in this crazy election where both Johnson and Corbyn are beyond the pale that 'Remainers' in ALL constituencies should simply vote whatever their natural allegiance for either the LibDems or Labour  - whoever is in the best position to win. A hung parliament will ensue for certain (and no extremes possible) and once a 2nd ref is done and dusted a proper GE can follow.

• Like 1

It is simple as that. If you want brexit, and a bad one at that, vote Tory or the Brexit Company LTD. If you want to stay in the EU or at least have another say, vote whatever progressive party has the best chance of getting in. Some of us, probably a lot of us ,will have to hold our noses and vote for a party we don't like/want.

Labour won't get an overall majority without Scotland.

The LibDems will need the swing to be absolutely record breaking to even get to treble figures.

Plaid can't. SNP can't. Greens can't.

But the progressive parties together......???

1 minute ago, Herman said:

It is simple as that. If you want brexit, and a bad one at that, vote Tory or the Brexit Company LTD. If you want to stay in the EU or at least have another say, vote whatever progressive party has the best chance of getting in. Some of us, probably a lot of us ,will have to hold our noses and vote for a party we don't like/want.

The LibDems will need the swing to be absolutely record breaking to even get to treble figures.

Well the SNP are going to sweep Scotland irrespective of what any of the other parties do/don't do.

In England and Wales the Greens, Lib Dems and Plaid have made a decent stab at maximising the progressive vote - hopefully this will do the trick in a number of constituencies. But it still leaves a really major problem that Labour (assuming they still count as a progressive party!) firstly haven't got a clue what they're doing and secondly have totally refused to co-operate both during and after the election with any other party.

Think there is still enough tribal loyalty to Labour in many areas to split the anti-Tory vote sufficiently to give Boris a decent majority - something that could have been avoided if the Labour leadership had any brains, balls or strategic nous.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that Labour have to stand in every constituency as per their party rules. Even so, you would hope they wouldn't campaign in certain areas where they have no chance. LibDems do little around my way (but I think that was more for financial reasons last time.)

32 minutes ago, Herman said:

So, not looking good from the Remain point of view is it.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that Labour have to stand in every constituency as per their party rules. Even so, you would hope they wouldn't campaign in certain areas where they have no chance. LibDems do little around my way (but I think that was more for financial reasons last time.)

I've heard that as well although it sounds a rather bizarre rule, and they've certainly managed not to stand candidates in Northern Irish constitutencies where in the past they've encouraged their members to vote for the SDLP. So.......................

Anyway I'm pretty sure that they also have mechanisms for changing their rules if they want to, plus they definitely have ways of disregarding their rules when they choose to!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Anyway I'm pretty sure that they also have mechanisms for changing their rules if they want to, plus they definitely have ways of disregarding their rules when they choose to!

Colour me shocked and stunned👍

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

So, not looking good from the Remain point of view is it.

It never has but strangely and against the odds, it turns out we are still in the EU. If you genuinely want to leave the EU you need to up your game.

Just now, Herman said:

It never has but strangely and against the odds, it turns out we are still in the EU. If you genuinely want to leave the EU you need to up your game.

No rush😉

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Not the speakers constituency though 

Johnson continues with the faux pas by announcing the NI threshold movement but lied when he said "ordinary" working people would be £500 a year better off and when corrected he stressed that it was when the threshold is raised to £12K. But of course that is only an ambition which he later admitted, off screen.

He is a cynical lying toerag.

31 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Johnson continues with the faux pas by announcing the NI threshold movement but lied when he said "ordinary" working people would be £500 a year better off and when corrected he stressed that it was when the threshold is raised to £12K. But of course that is only an ambition which he later admitted, off screen.

There was a feud betweeen two American women writers in which one of them, Mary McCarthy said of the other, Lillian Hellman, that ''Everything she writes is a lie, including 'and' and 'the'.''

I wouldn't say that is quite true about Johnson. Not everything he says is false. Just too much is, too often...

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He certainly is that, but unfortunately our politics have become so polarised that many people appear to be prepared to vote for a cynical lying toe rag as long as he's 'their' cynical lying toe rag.

Sadly, it's a reflection of just how low standards have fallen in this country and all the signs are that we're just going to carry on going downhill from here on in.

Personally its probably the kick up the **** I need - have thought for several years now that I wanted out of this country and have been working towards it but without actually managing to get as organised and/or prepared as I intended. But it looks as though in the next few months I need to get relocated across the channel whether (as we used to say as kids) I'm ready or not!

The Tories had blamed the Mirror’s critical coverage of the Prime Minister in recent weeks.

This has included front page stories on the state of the NHS and criticising the Mr Johnson over his response to flooding in the north of England.

Other stories have shone a light on the dangers of a Brexit deal with Donald Trump opening up the NHS to big pharma, with US firms lining up to cash in.

Holding the government to account. That is the job of a free press. They can't and shouldn't all be propaganda sheets like the telegraph , sun, mail and express. What sort of country do these clowns want us to live in?? 

Edited by Herman

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Holding the government to account. That is the job of a free press. They can't and shouldn't all be propaganda sheets like the telegraph , sun, mail and express. What sort of country do these clowns want us to live in?? 

Sadly, that is pretty obvious - same the world over when the far right get into power.

Their only concern is staying there and keeping the rest of us toeing the line and doing what we're told is good for us  😟

Given the propaganda outlets at their disposal and a huge segment of gullible fools lapping it up, it's pretty hard to see where change for the better is going come from, if indeed it ever does.

What a grim prospect, still at least those desperate to curb immigration look as though they will get their way - who on earth is going to want to come into this country in a couple of years time??

• Like 1

A Government pledge to build 200,000 new starter homes for first time buyers in England has failed to produce a single property, a Whitehall review has revealed.

David Cameron's Conservative party 2015 manifesto promise was designed to tackle the country's mounting first-time buyer housing crisis and £2.3billion was set aside by the Spending Review for the construction of the first 60,000 homes.

Yet, not a single one of the 200,000 homes has been built says the spending watchdog, as legislation needed to get the construction process going is yet to come into force. 

Now the lying toerag is pledging to build a million new homes over the next five years.

For goodness sake people, wake up, you are going to vote in a serial and obsessive liar and ego monster.

And people have the nerve to have a pop at Corbyn. He doesn't make it up at as a retort to the other parties. The LibDems have nailed their colours and the SNP and Greens are sticking with their objectives.

The Tories are like an avant garde jazz combo. Make it up as you go along.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

A Government pledge to build 200,000 new starter homes for first time buyers in England has failed to produce a single property, a Whitehall review has revealed.

David Cameron's Conservative party 2015 manifesto promise was designed to tackle the country's mounting first-time buyer housing crisis and £2.3billion was set aside by the Spending Review for the construction of the first 60,000 homes.

Yet, not a single one of the 200,000 homes has been built says the spending watchdog, as legislation needed to get the construction process going is yet to come into force. 

Now the lying toerag is pledging to build a million new homes over the next five years.

For goodness sake people, wake up, you are going to vote in a serial and obsessive liar and ego monster.

And people have the nerve to have a pop at Corbyn. He doesn't make it up at as a retort to the other parties. The LibDems have nailed their colours and the SNP and Greens are sticking with their objectives.

The Tories are like an avant garde jazz combo. Make it up as you go along.

Perhaps they could offer free pasties.😀

15 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The Alex Salmond stuff is a bit raunchy. Ten different women!!!

Nothing worn under his kilt

Glad to see you're not distracted by the election guff and are still firmly focussed on the serious stuff  😁

5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Glad to see you're not distracted by the election guff and are still firmly focussed on the serious stuff  😁

Do you think this and the Prince Andrew stuff will be over shadowed by the Labour manifesto launch.

Neither do I.😀

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Do you think this and the Prince Andrew stuff will be over shadowed by the Labour manifesto launch.

Neither do I.😀

Don't think manifestos really have much significance nowadays, which is probably just as well as they're mostly full of s**t anyway!

• Like 1

Perhaps they could offer free pasties.

You can have one mate but Jools can sit on one 😂

(Didn't mean Jools you old Spiv)

Large Steak now £4.50 locally. Bleddy emmets pudden up cost en em

16 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Never thought we'd see this.

This is not so surprising. Voters realise that a Conservative government will get Brexit done and so their thoughts turn to other subjects. With the promise of forty new hospitals being delivered and new funds for the NHS plus more doctors and nurses being trained, clearly voters are thinking that the Tories will deliver an economy that will generate the wealth that will allow all these things to happen.

Voters really aren't dumb. They know Corbyn's plan is to borrow and tax everyone until the pips squeak. They know that you have to vote Conservative if you want a healthy NHS.

10 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Voters really aren't dumb. They know Corbyn's plan is to borrow and tax everyone until the pips squeak. They know that you have to vote Conservative if you want a healthy NHS.

Not if they've been paying any attention at all over the last nine years they don't - what they know is that the Tories inherited a very healthy NHS and have taken it to the brink of collapse.