Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Jools

The Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

“Whilst we get an extra hours sleep on Sunday, spare a thought for the National Trust Volunteers who work  tirelessly through the night to move the stones back 1 hour at various stone circles around the country side.  This is done twice a year to make sure the stones align correctly with the sun.”

Come Feb1st and we will be putting a stop to all this nonsense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all you clever chaps and chapesses out there, let’s see who can come up with a straight forward answer as to significance of having an election in the 9th Dec rather than on the 12 Dec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

For all you clever chaps and chapesses out there, let’s see who can come up with a straight forward answer as to significance of having an election in the 9th Dec rather than on the 12 Dec.

Threefold.

1) Parliament not due to return until mid-January and lots of pagentry and process to be conducted with a new parliament requiring state opening, new speaker to be sworn in etc so risk of a no deal Brexit increases on Jan 31st.

2) Cuts into the legislative time for Boris' deal so makes passing it more difficult.

3) A selfless act - it will potentially be a degree or two warmer so less Brexiteers will perish on the way to the ballot box.

Edited by kick it off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Threefold.

1) Parliament not due to return until mid-January and lots of pagentry and process to be conducted with a new parliament requiring state opening, new speaker to be sworn in etc so risk of a no deal Brexit increases on Jan 31st.

2) Cuts into the legislative time for Boris' deal so makes passing it more difficult.

3) A selfless act - it will potentially be a degree or two warmer so less Brexiteers will perish on the way to the ballot box.

Cheers. Hadn’t spotted the hypothermia angle. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there'll be a deal

Brexit means brexit

they need us more than we need them

they always give in at the last minute

dye in a ditch (strawberry blonde)..... four legs good...baa baa

 

otherwise Bill was right ........................again 😄

and still some of the thickos believe the likes of liars such as Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage

"master knows best".... touches forelock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

For all you clever chaps and chapesses out there, let’s see who can come up with a straight forward answer as to significance of having an election in the 9th Dec rather than on the 12 Dec.

Easier for students to vote - Universities will have broken up by the 12th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Easier for students to vote - Universities will have broken up by the 12th.

Depends which electoral role they are on, at home or at uni?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bill said:

there'll be a deal

Brexit means brexit

they need us more than we need them

they always give in at the last minute

dye in a ditch (strawberry blonde)..... four legs good...baa baa

 

otherwise Bill was right ........................again 😄

and still some of the thickos believe the likes of liars such as Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage

"master knows best".... touches forelock

Well, they certainly need something or they wouldn't keep extending us against our will to get their billion a month.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Easier for students to vote - Universities will have broken up by the 12th.

There will be a few more sixteen year olds.... LOL

... and of course few Xmas parties the night before or on the day itself.

Edited by paul moy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

There will be a few more sixteen year olds.... LOL

Never mind Paul - The original comment obviously passed you by as usual. Most University (not 16  year old's) students are generally registered in their University town (like Norwich and the UEA or don't they vote here?) but if the GE is too late then they would have to use postal votes as they are likely to be returning to their parental to other 'home' by around the 12th. 9th is more certain as to their whereabouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the New Statesman (9th v 12th Dec)

Why so much fuss over a few days? Well, there are two fears that Johnson’s opponents have about a 12 December election. The first is that because it happens so late in the year, Parliament wouldn’t return this side of 2019, and it risks a no-deal by accident because of the time taken to swear in MPs, elect a new Speaker and their deputies, hold the state opening and so on. Holding an election just a few days earlier means that Parliament could return in the last week of December rather than mid-January. That’s the argument that Labour MPs with the ear of Jeremy Corbyn are making to dissuade him from an election.

But the extra days also matter before an election, because they cut into legislative time that could be used to ratify the terms of the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. While there is division in this Parliament about the future relationship after we leave, there is a narrow majority to support the terms of exit more broadly. The bulk of the Liberal Democrat parliamentary party and the SNP leadership now believe that if this Parliament continues in place, it will ratify the deal. Perhaps Johnson will have to swallow some minor defeats in making assurances about the future trade agreement, but in practice, with an election looming, enough of the small group of Labour MPs considering voting for the deal at second reading will do so to make it pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

 enough of the small group of Labour MPs considering voting for the deal at second reading will do so to make it pass.

or in the real world those Lab MP's voted to allow the BILL to be scrutinised,, that was why they voted for the second reading but against the proposed timetable

that was why Bertie pulled the Bill as any reasoned time to scrutinise it would have rippd it apart

and much of the guff elsewhere is being led by the vacuous bleat of 'get it done' as if those simple words alone have changed the mind of MPs on leaving the EU

ps any sign of bagster ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bill said:

or in the real world those Lab MP's voted to allow the BILL to be scrutinised,, that was why they voted for the second reading but against the proposed timetable

that was why Bertie pulled the Bill as any reasoned time to scrutinise it would have rippd it apart

and much of the guff elsewhere is being led by the vacuous bleat of 'get it done' as if those simple words alone have changed the mind of MPs on leaving the EU

ps any sign of bagster ?

Yes I would agree with all of that. 

 

Are you seriously suggesting Bagster and I are the same person? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Hairy Canary said:

Yes I would agree with all of that. 

 

Are you seriously suggesting Bagster and I are the same person? 

nope, not seriously 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'the times are a changin'

just as poor Bertie found when he came out of his comfort zone Trump is not liked

" Donald Trump was roundly booed as he attended Game 5 of baseball’s World Series in DC on Sunday, with fans of the Washington Nationals and Houston Astros chanting “Lock him up!” as “Veterans for Impeachment” signs were held aloft by spectators, prompting the president to leave the stadium early. "

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-news-live-today-twitter-latest-al-baghdadi-dead-impeachment-tweets-a9173951.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

From the New Statesman (9th v 12th Dec)

Why so much fuss over a few days? Well, there are two fears that Johnson’s opponents have about a 12 December election. The first is that because it happens so late in the year, Parliament wouldn’t return this side of 2019, and it risks a no-deal by accident because of the time taken to swear in MPs, elect a new Speaker and their deputies, hold the state opening and so on. Holding an election just a few days earlier means that Parliament could return in the last week of December rather than mid-January. That’s the argument that Labour MPs with the ear of Jeremy Corbyn are making to dissuade him from an election.

But the extra days also matter before an election, because they cut into legislative time that could be used to ratify the terms of the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union. While there is division in this Parliament about the future relationship after we leave, there is a narrow majority to support the terms of exit more broadly. The bulk of the Liberal Democrat parliamentary party and the SNP leadership now believe that if this Parliament continues in place, it will ratify the deal. Perhaps Johnson will have to swallow some minor defeats in making assurances about the future trade agreement, but in practice, with an election looming, enough of the small group of Labour MPs considering voting for the deal at second reading will do so to make it pass.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2019 at 21:54, paul moy said:

So, Macron will veto extension unless Corbyn agrees to an election.  Haha... No Deal  

 

2 hours ago, paul moy said:

Well, they certainly need something or they wouldn't keep extending us against our will to get their billion a month.  LOL

Oh, Paul 😔

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh dear, poor thickos they still don't grasp they have beed had

 

"- June 25: Mr Johnson first pledged to deliver Brexit on October 31 “do or die” during a TalkRadio interview amid the Tory leadership campaign. He said the UK would be leaving the EU on the Halloween deadline “do or die, come what may”.

 
- July 25: In his first speech as PM outside 10 Downing Street, Johnson said: “We are going to fulfil the repeated promises of Parliament to the people and come out of the EU on October 31, no ifs or buts.
 
- September 2: Speaking in Downing Street, Johnson said: “There are no circumstances in which I will ask Brussels to delay. We are leaving on 31 October, no ifs or buts.”
 
- September 3: Addressing the House of Commons, the PM said: “I am confident of getting a deal, we will leave on 31 October in all circumstances. There will be no further pointless delay.”
 
- September 5: On seeking to delay Brexit beyond October 31, Johnson said in Yorkshire: “I’d rather be dead in a ditch.”
 
- September 6: Referring to a move by MPs, the PM said: “They just passed a law that would force me to beg Brussels for an extension to the Brexit deadline. This is something I will never do.”
 
- September 16: Mr Johnson told the BBC: “We’re going to come out on October 31 and it’s vital that people understand that the UK will not extend. We won’t go on remaining in the EU beyond October.”
 
- October 19: Addressing MPs after they rebelled against his Brexit stance, he said: “I will not negotiate a delay with the EU and neither does the law compel me to do so.”
 
however
 
- October 19: Later that evening, Johnson complied with the so-called Benn Act and sent European Council president Donald Tusk an unsigned copy of the legislation requesting a three-month Brexit delay."
 
And the 'deal' that the democratic side of Parliament has rejected would have accepted - the right to sell chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-pumped beef, rip up restrictions on shipping personal data and rampup the cost of NHS drugs.  And had removed the guarantee that any new deals will not lower UK standards in any area.
 
A gutless acceptance that the deal would probably worsen the UK's economy than had been first thought.  With a removal of food safety and safety at work protection. An increase in the cost of drugs that , ironically, keep the bigots alive and the admission that the UK will have to accept what it is offered.... however detrimental to the country and it's population.
 
A shameful act, more so when you see how those in Hong Kong have fought against such craven surrender. How those in South America are fighting back against US influence. But not here.
 
No. Roll over and be walked over is the watchword of the bigots..... master knows best.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Never mind Paul - The original comment obviously passed you by as usual. Most University (not 16  year old's) students are generally registered in their University town (like Norwich and the UEA or don't they vote here?) but if the GE is too late then they would have to use postal votes as they are likely to be returning to their parental to other 'home' by around the 12th. 9th is more certain as to their whereabouts.

Wherever they are they may well vote twice anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Boris has dumped his WA bill.

This means the election and a win for Tories and Brexit party alliance drains the swamp of remoaners and ironically allows us to go to WTO on 31st January if not before. 

NO DEAL !!!!!!!   AT LAST !!!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, paul moy said:

So, Boris has dumped his WA bill.

This means the election and a win for Tories and Brexit party alliance drains the swamp of remoaners and ironically allows us to go to WTO on 31st January if not before. 

NO DEAL !!!!!!!   AT LAST !!!!!

 

 

Hey paul, scroll down to see how to keep an idiot entertained.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now scroll up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2019 at 09:52, Hoola Han Solo said:

Anyone seen the easily triggered snowflake Jools recently?

He must be taking a ‘break’ 😄

330440AE-8DD2-4835-BEC1-87A1A15E2168.jpeg

Is it worth going onto NorwichTalk to see if Jools is ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is those who read his ever long bits of guff from Guido (someone must have read that sheite ) that must miss him most

maybe he is in a ditch somewhere, or has followed Johnson's 'do I dye' dictum

which appears to be a yes as far as Bertie is concerned

though more an ash grey now than his previous strawberry blonde, and his tie no longer reaches down to a few inches above his knee either

has Bertie given up on being a 'character' now ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paul moy said:

allows us to go to WTO on 31st January if not before. 

NO DEAL !!!!!!!   AT LAST !!!!!

I thought we were doing that this week? Not exactly Nostradamus are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×