Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Jools

The Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

It seems a shame that you have to follow someone else with their view, rather than make your own mind up !

That doesn't make sense. Even the politicians at the top of the pyramid have to be advised by somebody. And apart from the uncommitted which seems to be very few on here, you view facts and figures through the glasses you prefer to wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surfer said:

What Bill said was " he needs about 30 " looks like for all your nitpicking he was right about that. 

I simply posted a link from the BBC showing their projected figures and that it pointed to a narrow loss. He then came back with a nasty insult saying that I (not the BBC) had said johnson needed 23 which was wrong and that I was too dim to check the maths. When I then come back to explain how the figures were arrived at, you accuse me of nitpicking! 

It wasn't even a contentious point, just a matter of conjecture as to what the numbers currently are. Your next post even quoted the same figures and came to the same conclusion! I give up!

Edited by Hairy Canary
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Deal passing has just moved to favourite on the betting exchanges.

DYOR.

There's a lot of talk about "no deal" by the backdoor, with the ERG playing the long game. This may spook a few horses.....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Herman said:

There's a lot of talk about "no deal" by the backdoor, with the ERG playing the long game. This may spook a few horses.....

Labour need to put Brexit behind them. Playing both ends against the middle has ended up with them in the middle of the road with cars hitting them from both directions. Leavers think they are Remainers and Remainers think they are Leavers, that and Corbyn are the reason they are polling so badly.

Getting Brexit done means they can blame the Tories if something goes wrong and getting shot of Corbyn puts a whole different complexion on things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Herman said:

There's a lot of talk about "no deal" by the backdoor, with the ERG playing the long game. This may spook a few horses.....

Spreadsheet Phill is having a field day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can labour complain ? When it's written in the agreement it says 

6.The Parties agree that the future relationship should be underpinned by shared values such as the respect for and safeguarding of human rights and fundamental freedoms, democratic principles, the rule of law and support for non-proliferation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Spreadsheet Phill is having a field day

Not surprised that silly ****y is still going on. Expect more tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was that John Baron that dropped the clanger. It looks like Johnson is promising both sides opposite things. Again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a changing world only two things are certain taxes and death, nope three things now.....Brexit will never end! If a deal is done and election happens and labour win, Scotland will want and get its referendum, vote to be independent and apply to join the EU, followed by Wales, the dissolution of Great Britain and will see us grow weaker in the world requiring us to reconsider re-joining the EU at a massive disadvantage years down the line!

Only my grim vision!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Herman said:

It was that John Baron that dropped the clanger. It looks like Johnson is promising both sides opposite things. Again. 

The art of diplomacy😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

How can labour complain ? When it's written in the agreement it says 

6.The Parties agree that the future relationship should be underpinned by shared values such as the respect for and safeguarding of human rights and fundamental freedoms, democratic principles, the rule of law and support for non-proliferation.

Here fixed it for you.... "should be" is not that same as "will be" and "future" does not mean "now" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

It seems a shame that you have to follow someone else with their view, rather than make your own mind up !

I know that you'll never, ever, ever get it Swindon, but I'll try anyway.

I look at the evidence and the facts and then I make my own mind up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Letwin probably thinks this is convincing but when someone explains why they are doing something for one reason when it might be thought there was another motive:

'In short, my aim is to ensure that Boris’s deal succeeds, but that we have an insurance policy which prevents the UK from crashing out on 31 October by mistake if something goes wrong during the passage of the implementing legislation. Simple as that!'

...and ends with 'Simple as that!' you start metaphorically counting the spoons. Disingenuousness personified. And It is the coy attempt at mateyness and the text-style exclamation mark that give it away.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

QUESTION - Why is it that labour are saying that this deal is recognised as worse than any deal negotiated by Theresa May.

Because it’s a Tory deal. Simple.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Letwin probably thinks this is convincing but when someone explains why they are doing something for one reason when it might be thought there was another motive:

'In short, my aim is to ensure that Boris’s deal succeeds, but that we have an insurance policy which prevents the UK from crashing out on 31 October by mistake if something goes wrong during the passage of the implementing legislation. Simple as that!'

...and ends with 'Simple as that!' you start metaphorically counting the spoons. Disingenuousness personified. And It is the coy attempt at mateyness and the text-style exclamation mark that give it away.

Its clearly silly****y. I can't see the EU or the public being impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its clearly silly****y. I can't see the EU or the public being impressed.

Its getting a bit too obvious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's unreal. And there are utter morons on here that cheer this cretinous, deceitful, hypocritical, charlatan c*nt. 

If I didn't have kids settled in school I think I'd be packing my bags (probably sort my Irish passport out and move there, like most British businesses over the next 12 months).

I miss the ability to be patriotic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indy said:

In a changing world only two things are certain taxes and death, nope three things now.....Brexit will never end! If a deal is done and election happens and labour win, Scotland will want and get its referendum, vote to be independent and apply to join the EU, followed by Wales, the dissolution of Great Britain and will see us grow weaker in the world requiring us to reconsider re-joining the EU at a massive disadvantage years down the line!

Only my grim vision!

Nicola Sturgeon has played Brexit really badly and I think she will get punished by her party because of it. They will look at the £millions that DUP have walked away with and senior members of the SNP will be wondering why they have managed to make sweet FA (to keep this football-related) out of Brexit. There are going to be some seismic shocks when the next election comes around and I suspect Ms. Sturgeon will be one of the victims. She has won nothing for Scotland from Brexit and the electorate will punish her. As for Wales, Tories will make inroads into the border and northern counties and this will weaken any thoughts of devolution or independence. Besides, it's the regions who will hope to benefit from any windfall spending after the election so not the best time to act silly ****s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I miss the ability to be patriotic

I wouldn't be too worried cd, patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, as the quote goes. Times past I used be patriotic, not so anymore, seems so utterly paradoxical to favour one group of humans and a flag over another group of humans with a different flag. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It's unreal. And there are utter morons on here that cheer this cretinous, deceitful, hypocritical, charlatan c*nt. 

If I didn't have kids settled in school I think I'd be packing my bags (probably sort my Irish passport out and move there, like most British businesses over the next 12 months).

I miss the ability to be patriotic. 

Amen to that.

Right from the beginning I've heard the "why don't you leave if you don't like it" refrain.Unfortunately it's not easy to just up sticks and settle somewhere else. Elderly parent, no foreign language, age and likable job make it rather impossible at the moment.(Although it is very tempting. The level of insanity is truly depressing at the moment.)

Plus, the most important thing, why should I leave my country because others can't be bothered to see what is going on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

QUESTION - Why is it that labour are saying that this deal is recognised as worse than any deal negotiated by Theresa May.

Ask Nigel Farage Swindon! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Herman said:

Plus, the most important thing, why should I leave my country because others can't be bothered to see what is going on.

I don't feel like it is my country anymore. I was at a house party last year. For the first few hours it was brilliant; great music, cold beer, scotch older than most attendees, hot tub, top quality nibbles. 

Then a load of dribbling, racist, old tw*ts came along, p*ssed in the hot tub, drunk all the nice scotch and cold beer and replaced it with warm ale and cheap blends, stuck the Beatles on loop and plonked some Iceland platters on the table. Then tried to tell me, despite them having an IQ comparable to Jimmy Anderson's batting average, that they're smarter than me because they were born first. 

Should I stay there on a point of principle or cross the road to a party that's got free cocaine and Nirvana? 

Edited by canarydan23
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×