Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

....of course, that was never really in doubt - precisely because we don't live in a democracy.

Still on the bright side, quite a few of us are hoping to relocate to one while we still have the chance 😀

Venezuela......

"We have in Jeremy a man without honour and without shame - and a type of preening narcissism that means he thinks he's still got something left to offer the Labour movement." Former Labour MP @MaryCreaghMP criticises Jeremy Corbyn after she lost her seat in the election."

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Is mello jello actually an adult? Do you think he knows what he has "won"? Has he seen the "people" he is cheering for? Do you think he was angry at the EU before the tories told him to be? Is he more like Ned Flanders or Principal Skinner? Too many questions.......

5 years.....Oh Yeah😂 .....I must be in the minuscule minority who voted Tory then?......Herr Moaner......sour sore loser......🤣......

I'm happy.....so very happy......Whereas you and the rest of your frustrated, irate and loser ilk.....are sniping and barking at everyone and everything because you LOST.....Politics eh?......Enjoying BBC 2 at this moment..... 😁

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

But it won't be that. After 11 months it'll be the bits they agree on padded out with tariffs and checks on the bits they don't when they inevitably run out of time.

Boris is forcing through an arbitrary deadline that only hurts himself, when getting his leave bill though parliament would be enough for now.

It always get me, 366 days to talk over a deal is quite enough !

The remoaners are like Corbyn who thinks his policies were very popular. They think that the majority of voters just love the EU. That must be why Boris has a meagre 80 seat majority. These people just don’t accept a democratically arrived at verdict. You can always rely on the leftie intelligensia to know what is best for the people rather than the people themselves. Perhaps they should join the SNP and have whinge-ins with Wee Burnie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

But it won't be that. After 11 months it'll be the bits they agree on padded out with tariffs and checks on the bits they don't when they inevitably run out of time.

Boris is forcing through an arbitrary deadline that only hurts himself, when getting his leave bill though parliament would be enough for now.

All I would say Snowy is that Boris has played a blinder up until now and proved all the doubters wrong. So if he thinks his strategy is the right one then who are we to say otherwise. 

It's a bit like Daniel Farke's coaching methods. You have to trust him to get it right as he has done an amazing job to get us to where we are now. 

His negotiating “strategy” is like Trumps - first blow up a perfectly good deal, next make lots of noise about how great it will be. Then concede on every major issue, and finally announce that the mission has been accomplished,. Oh and throw in some “will he / won’t he” antics into the mix too to build up drama for the final reveal. 

Ta da! Here’s the deal folks .... rinse and repeat. 

• Like 2

They've won. They don't have a clue what they have won. They still, after all this time, struggle to come up with one good reason to do what they have done. They think making other people's lives harder as an achievement. And they have turned their own country into a dark place. 

The power of drip, drip propaganda. It couldn't happen here?! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Van wink said:

"We have in Jeremy a man without honour and without shame - and a type of preening narcissism that means he thinks he's still got something left to offer the Labour movement." Former Labour MP @MaryCreaghMP criticises Jeremy Corbyn after she lost her seat in the election."

VW, by all means have fun as above, but that was then. I think you should be more interested in the now, and particularly in whether Johnson's decision not to extend the transition period, so limiting the time available for trade deal talks, is likely - or rather not, given the possibility of crashing out without a trade deal - to fit in with the chances of getting that soft Brexit you say you voted for.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

VW, by all means have fun as above, but that was then. I think you should be more interested in the now, and particularly in whether Johnson's decision not to extend the transition period, so limiting the time available for trade deal talks, is likely - or rather not, given the possibility of crashing out without a trade deal - to fit in with the chances of getting that soft Brexit you say you voted for.

I am interested in the then, now, and the "who knows" Purple.

There was nothing in the Tory manifesto......no let me start again, there was nothing in theTory manifesto to suggest that BJ would head for a soft Brexit,  a Canada style free trade agreement seemed to be the line. As for not extending the transition period, enshrining the principle in law is a signal of intent, of course with a massive majority laws can be ammended. If it is to be a Canada style deal it may well be possible to get that done by the end of 2020.

As for crashing out, my advice would be stay cool, that aint going to happen, BJ is of the view that having "no deal" on the table strengthens the negotiating position,  I tend to agree with him.

For my remainer friends I would draw their attention to this tweet from DAG

aAaX9ci6_bigger.jpg

"Oh well, Brexit Let's make best of all this, and let's make it work as well as it can Few of us wanted it, at least like this: botched, as it has been, at every stage by knaves and fools Now it is certain to go ahead, we should now go for the politics of the possible"

Time to stop looking back as you correctly point out, and make the best of Brexit.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

They've won. They don't have a clue what they have won. They still, after all this time, struggle to come up with one good reason to do what they have done. They think making other people's lives harder as an achievement. And they have turned their own country into a dark place. 

The power of drip, drip propaganda. It couldn't happen here?! 

The power of smug slimeball Thornberry, Diane where's-my-abacus Abbott, a myriad of Momentum activists, & above all a self-righteous, hate-filled, finger-jabbing Corbyn who ended his campaign speeches with a near hysterical screech was something I found quite persuasive.

• Like 1

Nice quote @Van wink, that sums up the predominant Remainer view now. Strangly, it seems like its the Pinkuns resident leavers who are howling at the moon. I would have thought with a shiny new unblemished parliament and massive majority they would be looking forward rather than back. Perhaps, it is because you cannot trust Johnson to do anything he says. There is a deal out there that probably matches your soft one, but it is not one the Brexiteers calimed they wanted. A quick and dirty agreement on customs and tariffs combined with the UK following most EU regulation wrapped up in some warm words.

Edited by BigFish

"Strangly, it seems like its the Pinkuns resident leavers who are howling at the moon"

Lost me there mate? ( sorry that came out in green bold )

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I was going to say that VW's soft Brexit disappeared over the horizon a good while ago but actually it was never really in sight, not with the idiot May and certainly not with the liar Johnson.

Not that I was ever convinced that soft Brexit was what @VW wanted, he often said it was but then he has consistently supported hard Brexit May and even harder Brexit/no deal Johnson, so it seems he is going to get what he really wants and it definitely isn't going to be a soft Brexit.

Interesting though that the liar hasn't learnt anything at all from May's mistakes, and neither have I it seems - should have bought my getaway Euros on Friday - I naively thought the pound might strengthen a bit more in the New Year given the 'certainty' provided by liar's fantastic deal! 🤣

Thought I could see how see things went until mid-January before the wheels dropped off the pound again but actually first day back for the new MPs and ............😧

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Swindon, a confused reaction is unnecessary. It's a given. 😀

I don't see how making other people's lives harder is actually happening, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED SO FAR !

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I was going to say that VW's soft Brexit disappeared over the horizon a good while ago but actually it was never really in sight, not with the idiot May and certainly not with the liar Johnson.

Not that I was ever convinced that soft Brexit was what @VW wanted, he often said it was but then he has consistently supported hard Brexit May and even harder Brexit/no deal Johnson, so it seems he is going to get what he really wants and it definitely isn't going to be a soft Brexit.

Interesting though that the liar hasn't learnt anything at all from May's mistakes, and neither have I it seems - should have bought my getaway Euros on Friday - I naively thought the pound might strengthen a bit more in the New Year given the 'certainty' provided by liar's fantastic deal! 🤣

Thought I could see how see things went until mid-January before the wheels dropped off the pound again but actually first day back for the new MPs and ............😧

The point being that I was supporting people who were actually trying to get us out rather than those who were trying to thwart the result of the referendum and keep us in, hardly inconsistent for someone who voted to leave.

Excellent idea.

“She created a design and used fabrics that maintained a balance between showing respect to her faith and being able to perform in her work”

“She said: “I’d been using the same headscarf all day which obviously wasn’t clean and ideal.”

My only other observation would be that there is no “balance” when it comes to infection control in a hospital setting. 

6 hours ago, Van wink said:

"Strangly, it seems like its the Pinkuns resident leavers who are howling at the moon"

Lost me there mate? ( sorry that came out in green bold )

It refers to all those RWNJs who continue to rant, point score and repeat the arguments of the last three years rather look to the future and what comes next.

Despite the huge number of things that the Brexiteers have made up over the last few years, it's reassuring to know that there are some situations in life you just can't make up - legged it round to my local post office today needing stamps for a bag full of last minute Christmas cards, mainly for the UK and a few for France.

So I was a bit taken aback when I finally reached the head of the queue to be told 'sorry we've run out of stamps'. No problem I cheerfully replied, you can print the postage on labels and stick them on nowadays can't you? - 'no, sorry we've run out of labels to print on too'.

The most shocking thing IMO wasn't so much that despite the UK running a postal service for over 500 years they have apparently been taken completely by surprise by a rush at Christmas - although that is a first in my experience. The real surprise was the cheerful, albeit slightly resigned shrug of shoulder, manner in which people received the news, as if it was entirely normal and expected to be stood in a UK post office in 2019 which was incapable of sending anything, anywhere.

Obviously a small thing in the overall scheme of things but maybe also a metaphor for the embarassing shambles this country has turned into. Still at least we're providing entertainment for the rest of the world, both political soap opera and comedy gold    😀

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Venezuela......

Hardly, Paul Moy is your man for all matters Venezualan.

He's always banging on about it although since his very confident assertion that the Brexit Company would sweep all before them when the election happened he's gone remarkably quiet...............😀

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Even Theresa May had the sense to sack her aides that failed badly in the 2017 election. Seamus Milne and Karie Murphy, Corbyn's completely failed aides, get moved on to permanent contracts. Obviously not going down well.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/18/labour-party-staff-angry-at-handling-of-possible-redundancies

They look after their own.😉

It wasn't their fault after all, it was the electorate's🤣

• Haha 1

Quite: What we need then is regional currencies within the UK, so that the rich regions of England don't have to subsidize the poorer regions within the UK and you could shut down migration between the regions too. Don't want northerners coming to London eh? 

p.s The UK uses the Pound, so what is the point that you were trying to raise by posting this link? 

Is that Meryl Streep? 

Anyway, Britain First members being urged to join the Conservatives. Nice company you keep there.