Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Don't think so, it was just to annoy remainers, but that battle has been won. and I've got a smug smile on my face, as it shows the rest of the country  feels the same.

You showed 'em, Swindon. Respect!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herman said:

A big part of me now thinks sod them. They deserve all they get. It will affect me a bit but I am reasonably insulated from oncoming harm. I now have more work than I ever had thanks to brexiters willingness to make it harder to trade with Europe, my sectors main competitors being the Netherlands and France.I am reasonably indispensible at work being the only one that can do my specific job (I won't tell them that it is easier than I make out😉). I also have a couple of potential routes out if things get too stupid and some assets and savings that can cushion any fall for a while.

Out of interest, which country would you move to?

3 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

Old enough and with enough life experience to spot a FVCKWIT and a LIAR when I see one. You fit both categories to a T.

It's a shame you didn't increase the range and scope of your vocabulary in all those years.

18 hours ago, Herman said:

Brian Clough is now the Welsh secretary and Nicky Morgan took a step away from politics to sit in the Cabinet.🤨

Leaving the EU means that we will no longer have uneletcted bureaucrats running muliti-million pound Government departments and making decisions that affect our future............................................oh!

So the huge majority of those alleged brainless numpty nincompoop 'Ship of Fools' that are now actually the Wise winners, who now steam securely onward, riding proudly on the crest of the waves in a vast sea of 'Blue'.....Sadly the wise winners are still being insulted by the infantile minority of those anti-brexit remainers, laborious lefties, cacophonous commies and miserable Marxists....Who now shouty shouty point and blame with belligerent bitterness - as they flounder aimlessly around in an ickle faded red rudderless holed an' leaking commie coracle......Lily livered lib lovin' an' languid lefties are such sad sore losers the limp wristed lot of 'em......Whiney on the blue briney....Boo hoo an' no EU......Blub blub we need a bigger tub..... 

Democracy.....Don't you just love it...... 

1 hour ago, TCCANARY said:

Leaving the EU means that we will no longer have uneletcted bureaucrats running muliti-million pound Government departments and making decisions that affect our future............................................oh!

I assume you have heard about Zac goldsmith as well?? 

One upcoming integrity test for the Johnson government is the boundary review the Tories were so keen on. The argument was there were too many MPs at 650 and this should be reduced to 600. That at the time of the review in 2018 that 41 of the 50 seats to disappear were held by other parties was purely coincidental.

I am sure Johnson will be keen to reactivate this plan, even though many of the seats slated for abolition were Tory gains in 2019.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

One upcoming integrity test for the Johnson government is the boundary review the Tories were so keen on. The argument was there were too many MPs at 650 and this should be reduced to 600. That at the time of the review in 2018 that 41 of the 50 seats to disappear were held by other parties was purely coincidental.

I am sure Johnson will be keen to reactivate this plan, even though many of the seats slated for abolition were Tory gains in 2019.

Post of the week 😀

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Herman said:

I assume you have heard about Zac goldsmith as well?? 

Nick HiltonVerified account @nickfthilton 4h4 hours ago

Zac Goldsmith, what a story. Son of humble billionaire, at 23 made editor of a magazine (owned by his uncle), gets Tory nom for leafy London seat at 32, loses the seat twice in 3 years, (also losing London mayoral race). Elevated to the House of Lords. Truly, the British dream.

Work hard kids, one day you could be like Zac. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

The good news is that you don't have to describe them as traditional Labour seats anymore. 🤣

2 hours ago, TCCANARY said:

Nick HiltonVerified account @nickfthilton 4h4 hours ago

Zac Goldsmith, what a story. Son of humble billionaire, at 23 made editor of a magazine (owned by his uncle), gets Tory nom for leafy London seat at 32, loses the seat twice in 3 years, (also losing London mayoral race). Elevated to the House of Lords. Truly, the British dream.

Work hard kids, one day you could be like Zac. 🤣

Democracy.....don't you just love it.

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

I've said it for years, MP numbers should be half of their present number. Why so many ?

Carrying out the boundary review is worthwhile to reduce the number of MPs. An age ceiling should also be introduced so that they have to go at 75.

As for many of the abolished constituencies being Tory now we are told labour supporters lent their votes so at least these constituencies won’t return to Labour. 🙂🙂

While they are at it they should reform the Lords to a maximum 200 members.

At least we won’t be seeing that barsteward Bercow sitting there anytime soon.

Let’s hope the Corbynista Rebecca Wrong Daily wins the Labour leadership contest. It should keep the Conservatives in control for decades. 👍👍

13 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Where is City 1st? The silly Billy!

Hope he's not been banged up!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Aw bless......Herman das German.....L.O.S.E.R......

It would be Herman der German (Deutsche would be correct but it wouldn't rhyme).

Wiedersehn Wichser👍

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

There will certainly be a boundary revue enacted. The present boundaries are from 2005.

Last review was in 2018, Tories just never got round to enacting it. In Johnson terms it is "oven ready"

36 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I've said it for years, MP numbers should be half of their present number. Why so many ?

Simple answer is to hold the government to account. There are 109 paid ministers (maximum) + unpaid voting under collective responsibility.

If you want fewer MPs you need fewer Ministers.

Best way is greater devolution .....

• Like 1

Just now, Herman said:

It would be Herman der German (Deutsche would be correct but it wouldn't rhyme).

Wiedersehn Wichser👍

We know about your interpretation of democracy you've been harping on like a petulant child about it long enough....."I don't like the way the majority voted - so they must vote until I get my own way....wah wah wah".....Now piddle off and paddle your coracle around and around.....that's until you decide which direction you're headed.....L.O.S.E.R....der besiegte.....

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

We know about your interpretation of democracy you've been harping on like a petulant child about it long enough....."I don't like the way the majority voted - so they must vote until I get my own way....wah wah wah".....Now piddle off and paddle your coracle around and around.....that's until you decide which direction you're headed.....L.O.S.E.R....der besiegte.....

That would carry rather more weight if it had been a majority..........

I think you've rather missed the point, and it's not an interpretation - it's really simple maths.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

That would carry rather more weight if it had been a majority..........

I think you've rather missed the point, and it's not an interpretation - it's really simple maths.

Still lost......and it's maffs.....

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Still lost......

....of course, that was never really in doubt - precisely because we don't live in a democracy.

Still on the bright side, quite a few of us are hoping to relocate to one while we still have the chance 😀

• Like 2

Is mello jello actually an adult? Do you think he knows what he has "won"? Has he seen the "people" he is cheering for? Do you think he was angry at the EU before the tories told him to be? Is he more like Ned Flanders or Principal Skinner? Too many questions.......

12 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

A master stroke from  Boris Johnson.  "No Deal is better than a bad deal". There is no need to talk for years over a deal, 364 days is quite enough. so all you saying it's going to take years are wrong again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50818134

But it won't be that. After 11 months it'll be the bits they agree on padded out with tariffs and checks on the bits they don't when they inevitably run out of time.

Boris is forcing through an arbitrary deadline that only hurts himself, when getting his leave bill though parliament would be enough for now.