Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

deflection =  YOU WERE WRONG ADMIT IT !

wrong about what, my little mouse brain ?

toungue in tooth ?

or have left the EU ?

4 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

Split the leave vote? Splitting up a group of people who want very different things sounds a good idea to me RTB.

There were two options on the referendum ballot paper. Remain or Leave. There was no multiple choice question. There was nothing about 'do you want to join an EU Army'? - for example. The vote question and result was crystal clear.

50 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Then you won't mind a confirmatory referendum on the deal, will you? 

Straw clutching.

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

wrong about what, my little mouse brain ?

toungue in tooth ?

or have left the EU ?

So are you still saying we will not leave the EU ?

4 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

There were two options on the referendum ballot paper. Remain or Leave. There was no multiple choice question. There was nothing about 'do you want to join an EU Army'? - for example. The vote question and result was crystal clear.

A flawed referendum question which is why we are still here 3 years later. I'm not so much stating what I want to happen as opposed to what I think will actually happen (although admittedly they are the same thing.)

That is that we are on the path to a second referendum where Remain absolutely will be an option.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

apart from you who told us all that you voted for a 'soft' brexit

which suggesr there was more than one brexit on offer

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I do believe her knickers are veritably bursting at the seam this morning.

I am sorry but that kind of cynicism is out of place. The DUP has made it admirably clear today it is sticking solely on a principle and cannot be bought off with mere money. After all, have you forgotten how May offered a bribe of £1bn and the DUP rejected that out of hand, refusing on Northern Ireland's behalf to have the money spent there, no matter how beneficial it would have been?

I see Johnson's latest deal had now made contact with DUP reality.  No unicorns there. It must be obvious to all that a Brexit that splits NI 'off' in any way is a non-starter. So that leaves a softer CU/SM Brexit as always as the the only viable way forward (No Deal all but breaks the GFA agreement). Damn - Brexiters should have thought about that first! But then it's just the English disease.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

So are you still saying we will not leave the EU ?

nope, as I have never said that

now why not back something you have just claomed rather than keep putting up another lie ?

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

I see Johnson's latest deal had now made contact with DUP reality.  No unicorns there. It must be obvious to all that a Brexit that splits NI 'off' in any way is a non-starter. So that leaves a softer CU/SM Brexit as always as the the only viable way forward (No Deal all but breaks the GFA agreement). Damn - Brexiters should have thought about that first! But then it's just the English disease.

did you try to explain this and other stuff to them in 2016 - any one whodid would have found it a wasted effort

and it is because of this and more that brexit won't happen and was never going to happen

it was, and still is, as can be seen a struggle within the Tory Party that has spilled out of the playground

that's all

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

now why not back something you have just claomed rather than keep putting up another lie ?

Ho, Dear, just coz I can't call it back, it's you that is lying !

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Ho, Dear, just coz I can't call it back, it's you that is lying !

what the **** are you babbling on about now  ?

you post up that I am wrong, but provide no indication about what that is

then follow it up with this half witted gibberish

I have to conclude that you really are retarded, and this is not an act

Edited by Bill

41 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Hmm. Too early to be definitive, I would think.

18 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I see you now you don't understand, keep denying it !

any chance of re-arraging those words ?

or better still, telling us all what on earth you are babbling on about ?

ie what am I spposed to be denying ?

56 minutes ago, Bill said:

this !

46 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

A flawed referendum question which is why we are still here 3 years later. I'm not so much stating what I want to happen as opposed to what I think will actually happen (although admittedly they are the same thing.)

That is that we are on the path to a second referendum where Remain absolutely will be an option.

Why was the question flawed? It could not have been expressed simpler or clearer. Remain or Leave?

When I take a taxi, I state my destination and leave it up to the taxi driver to choose the best route. I do expect the driver to behave honourably and take me with greatest efficiency. It is the same with the referendum. We stated our destination was to leave the EU and expected the HoP to behave honourably and carry out our wishes - as they said they would. The HoP is like the taxi driver who finds every excuse under the sun not to deliver to our destination but expects us to still pay the running meter. 

So what would have been a fairer referendum? A multiple-choice referendum?

Do want want to remain in the EU but opt out of an EU army?

Do want want to remain in the EU but opt out of the Common Agricultural Policy?

Do want want to remain in the EU but opt out of the Common Fisheries Policy?

Do want want to remain in the EU and opt into the Euro?

As you can see the possible questions are endless and the more questions you ask the more you dilute the validity of a referendum. The best referendum is a binary yes/no response for these reasons. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

apart from you who told us all that you voted for a 'soft' brexit

which suggesr there was more than one brexit on offer

I never did. Produce the quote. 

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

I never did. Produce the quote. 

all gorn now

Farage was in Redruth on Monday evening.

Reported by BBC Radio Cornwall that he spent most of the time tying to belittle Barnier by accusing him of being a drunk and freeloader (oh the irony) and only three questions were allowed from the floor and they were prepared and given to chosen people in the audience.

Nothing spoken of other than Brexit and no mention of any policies.

Just noted that YouGov etc are commenting on the Comres poll - its been presented oddly. They've summed all the Leave options together and assumed that if say a 'soft' leaver didn't get their soft deal they'd vote for No-Deal and so on. Of course that's not true - some would switch to Remain.

Hence the upshot is that its not inconsistent with the long term established now 53:47 to Remain when asked as a straight 2 way question.

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

We stated our destination was to leave the EU and expected the HoP to behave honourably and carry out our wishes - as they said they would.

More lies, do you ever stop ?

The HoP is a building it cannot ennact legislation,

The MPs who can did not say what you are claiming.

The referendum was only ADVICE to a different group of MPs, a different government and a different PM.

If you were too stupid to not see through the lies of Farage, Ress-Mogg and Johnson then more fool you - and stop baiming others for your own stu[idty

25 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Hmm. Too early to be definitive, I would think.

Arlene is stretching her elastic but the soundings at the moment, apart from the obvious twang, suggest things have hit the buffers. 

16 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Why was the question flawed? It could not have been expressed simpler or clearer. Remain or Leave?

When I take a taxi, I state my destination and leave it up to the taxi driver to choose the best route. I do expect the driver to behave honourably and take me with greatest efficiency. It is the same with the referendum. We stated our destination was to leave the EU and expected the HoP to behave honourably and carry out our wishes - as they said they would. The HoP is like the taxi driver who finds every excuse under the sun not to deliver to our destination but expects us to still pay the running meter. 

In my opinion your analogy doesn't work because in that example you and anyone in that taxi with you will want to head to that same destination, you might disagree one which is the best route but overall you are all in agreement of where that taxi should take you.

That can't be said of the 52%. According to the poll Swindon just posted only 20% want no deal? What % of those who want a deal and perhaps voted for Brexit believing they would get one would vote for No deal vs Remain?

For me an analogy would be theres a group of 10 at a club who just took a simple binary vote on "Do we leave this club" 6 vote yes and the decision is made. Only then do we realise of those six, three wish to go to another club, 1 (woops) want to go home and the other 2 want to go for food. You're saying that for the original 4 who wished to stay it's tough luck, they were outvoted and now we follow the 3 to the other club. Doesn't work for me.

Edited by ThorpeCanary
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

In my opinion your analogy doesn't work because in that example you and anyone in that taxi with you will want to head to that same destination, you might disagree one which is the best route but overall you are all in agreement of where that taxi should take you.

That can't be said of the 52%. According to the poll Swindon just posted only 20% want no deal? What % of those who want a deal and perhaps voted for Brexit believing they would get one would vote for No deal vs Remain?

For me an analogy would be theres a group of 10 at a club who just took a simple binary vote on "Do we leave this club" 6 vote yes and the decision is made. Only then do we realise of those six, three wish to go to another club, 2 want to go home and the other 2 want to go for food. You're saying that for the original 4 who wished to stay it's tough luck, they were outvoted and now we follow the 3 to the other club. Doesn't work for me.

Agree apart from 3 + 2 + 2 =7 (not 6). Must be Brexiter cake and eat it unicorn maths........

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Just noted that YouGov etc are commenting on the Comres poll - its been presented oddly. They've summed all the Leave options together and assumed that if say a 'soft' leaver didn't get their soft deal they'd vote for No-Deal and so on. Of course that's not true - some would switch to Remain.

Hence the upshot is that its not inconsistent with the long term established now 53:47 to Remain when asked as a straight 2 way question.

Your comments seem pretty reasonable, but even with your "established 53.47 %," if that is in fact accurate, it would be far too narrow a margin to be able to predict any side winning a referendum, should there be another one. 

Just out of interest, in the event of parliament agreeing to a second referendum, do you think they would be able to agree on the questions?

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Agree apart from 3 + 2 + 2 =7 (not 6). Must be Brexiter cake and eat it unicorn maths........

Amended 😅