Jump to content
Jools

The Brexit Thread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sadly there has been far too many Catholics saying 'Give me the child for the first seven years' and your theory didn't work out too well.

What is a fact, however, is that whereas most young people, imbued with the spirit of innocence and naivity, do vote for left-leaning parties. But as they grow-up, take on responsibilities, gain experience and wisdom, end up voting for right-leaning parties.

It's fortunate that the majority of electors votes for the right (Labour has been in power for only thirty-seven of its one hundred and twenty year history - and many Lefties consider the thirteen Blair/Brown New Labour years as an aberration of leftie doctrine), so we are usually spared of the madness that a labour government brings.

Of course, we are still left with that rump of old Labourites, who were either too proud, too delusional or perhaps even too thick to grow-up with the rest of us and still hanker after the good old days when the Manchester Guardian wrote leader columns supporting the Soviet Union and the CND.

 

Ar - You set an elephant trap and sad old RTB falls slap bang into it.

Did I say left / right - No. My comments apply to both ends of the political spectrum but as usual you are too set in your ways, too blinkered, too prejudiced to see past your own programming to see past it and jump feet first into your usual tribal diatribe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Oh-err, you're 'ard. Keyboard warrior

You're calling me a keyboard warrior?! Oh this is too good.

As I've said to Jools, I'm more than happy to continue this discussion down a local boozer. My invitation is never accepted thought. Perhaps you fancy it?

The funny thing is, I think I'd actually enjoy a drink with Jools. He's like the rambling drunk at the bar who everyone humours when he espouses his latest theory that he's found from some obscure source. I don't think I'd enjoy your company, you're actually quite an unpleasant person. As thick as Jools, just with a bit more malice.

Still, I'm happy to find out and be proven wrong, what's your favourite pub in Norwich? Have bike will travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigFish said:

As you are no doubt aware it is less about the entire generation as a cohort and more about a particular mindset within that generation. One that encourages the criticism of a caricuture of subsequent generations without understanding how the country arrived at the current situation (clue - it wasn't through the votes and actions of millennial snowflakes)

Oh absolutely. I think this thread (not to mention the one that got zapped) demonstrates how no era is monolithically good or bad. You can get sense and stupidity, wisdom and witlessness in all age groups.😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50401910

Inflation falls to three-year low as energy prices fall

UK inflation rose at its lowest pace in almost three years last month as the energy cap kept a lid on the price of electricity, gas and other fuels, according to official statistics.

If it wasn't for the fact he's spending a lot of time helping his constituents dealing with flooding Ed Miliband would be very proud.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Oh absolutely. I think this thread (not to mention the one that got zapped) demonstrates how no era is monolithically good or bad. You can get sense and stupidity, wisdom and witlessness in all age groups.😎

Quite agree - for every saying with age comes wisdom and experience there are others such 'Can't teach an old dog new tricks', 'Set in their ways' and 'It was better in my days (the past)' and so on. Even the Romans had identified this trait!

The truth is that it's human nature that those in their later years are by nature backward looking with rose-tinted specs, and don't want change or upheaval which they fear (it makes them 'conservative' with a small c) - whereas those that are younger have their whole lives ahead of them with world to conquer which makes them more go getting and less risk adverse.  

These are only tropes of course - you have to be able to learn from experience and wisdom is not the sole proprietorship of the old. There are many younger and older who have the smarts to see through their own prejudices however uncomfortable - but politics is as ever a race to the bottom these days with simple slogans for the simple minded. 

This is frankly the boomer problem. I grew up post war with lots of 'propaganda' as to how we won the war and flag waving - Great (as not in the bigger of two isles) Britain. The modern world of a diminished UK post Suez and with the emergence of China, India, Germany (as in EU) as economic superpowers has I suspect yet to percolate through to many of my generation - I still hear 'Commonwealth' mentioned. Laughable (Do they mean all those African states or just Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

 

Ar - You set an elephant trap and sad old RTB falls slap bang into it.

Did I say left / right - No. My comments apply to both ends of the political spectrum but as usual you are too set in your ways, too blinkered, too prejudiced to see past your own programming to see past it and jump feet first into your usual tribal diatribe. 

No trap. I just gave you facts that shows your argument applies to one side of the political debate. I'm just pleased that I can educate you a little. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

You're calling me a keyboard warrior?! Oh this is too good.

As I've said to Jools, I'm more than happy to continue this discussion down a local boozer. My invitation is never accepted thought. Perhaps you fancy it?

The funny thing is, I think I'd actually enjoy a drink with Jools. He's like the rambling drunk at the bar who everyone humours when he espouses his latest theory that he's found from some obscure source. I don't think I'd enjoy your company, you're actually quite an unpleasant person. As thick as Jools, just with a bit more malice.

Still, I'm happy to find out and be proven wrong, what's your favourite pub in Norwich? Have bike will travel.

I would rather bathe in cow sh!t than spend time in a bar with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

No trap. I just gave you facts that shows your argument applies to one side of the political debate. I'm just pleased that I can educate you a little. 

Still in the hole I see. Keep squirming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50401910

Inflation falls to three-year low as energy prices fall

UK inflation rose at its lowest pace in almost three years last month as the energy cap kept a lid on the price of electricity, gas and other fuels, according to official statistics.

If it wasn't for the fact he's spending a lot of time helping his constituents dealing with flooding Ed Miliband would be very proud.

 

Well done Ed.

This is good news for everyone, since 2015 wage growth has broadly been higher than inflation.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 14.13.12.png

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unemployment in Cornwall lower than the National average at the moment.

That good news followed by the bad news that wage growth falls further behind the rest of the UK.

Other good news is that the Brexit Party continues its chaotic path here in Cornwall. Ann Widdicombe telling two women who held up posters saying they were proud of their gay sons, the sill women repeated her mantra that science would one day find a solution. But wasn't it your precious god who gave them the problem Mrs Incapable.

Meanwhile the Brexit Party candidate for Truro Falmouth has been deselected for offering the same deal that Farage did, to the Tory candidate. The guy who was to be candidate for a Bristol constituency has replaced him but forgotten to alter all the bull he put about loving Bristol and the people and can't wait to move to the area. Now he has to do it in Celtic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Quite agree - for every saying with age comes wisdom and experience there are others such 'Can't teach an old dog new tricks', 'Set in their ways' and 'It was better in my days (the past)' and so on. Even the Romans had identified this trait!

The truth is that it's human nature that those in their later years are by nature backward looking with rose-tinted specs, and don't want change or upheaval which they fear (it makes them 'conservative' with a small c) - whereas those that are younger have their whole lives ahead of them with world to conquer which makes them more go getting and less risk adverse.  

These are only tropes of course - you have to be able to learn from experience and wisdom is not the sole proprietorship of the old. There are many younger and older who have the smarts to see through their own prejudices however uncomfortable - but politics is as ever a race to the bottom these days with simple slogans for the simple minded. 

This is frankly the boomer problem. I grew up post war with lots of 'propaganda' as to how we won the war and flag waving - Great (as not in the bigger of two isles) Britain. The modern world of a diminished UK post Suez and with the emergence of China, India, Germany (as in EU) as economic superpowers has I suspect yet to percolate through to many of my generation - I still hear 'Commonwealth' mentioned. Laughable (Do they mean all those African states or just Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc).

One is forced into clunky generalisations, but I think of the baby boom generation as being rather idealistic, and instrumental in pushing forward beneficial social changes. It seems to have got lumbered with the blame for the neo-liberal 'no such thing as society' loadsamoney ultra-selfishness of the late 1970s and 1980s, but that was instigated or fuelled by Thatcher and Reagan, both of whom were pre-boomers.

That said, I think in many ways we were the lucky generation, not least in terms of jobs. I remember the joke at school was that even the real dunces would be all right, because they could always find employment at Norwich Union, which was regarded as a sports and social club with optional work facilities attached...

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PurpleCanary said:

One is forced into clunky generalisations, but I think of the baby boom generation as being rather idealistic, and instrumental in pushing forward beneficial social changes. It seems to have got lumbered with the blame for the neo-liberal 'no such thing as society' loadsamoney ultra-selfishness of the late 1970s and 1980s, but that was instigated or fuelled by Thatcher and Reagan, both of whom were pre-boomers.

That said, I think in many ways we were the lucky generation, not least in terms of jobs. I remember the joke at school was that even the real dunces would be all right, because they could always find employment at Norwich Union, which was regarded as a sports and social club with work facilities attached...

My first job !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hillhead said:

As someone who spends a lot of time on the continent the perception of Brexit has already shifted to appreciating the benefits that are coming the rest of Europes way. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/13/tesla-cites-brexit-as-germany-chosen-over-uk-for-european-plant-elon-musk

Yes the Brexit dividend (for Europe). I always thinks its why Macron is quite keen now to wave goodbye as well - PSA, Airbus, City etc.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

I would rather bathe in cow sh!t than spend time in a bar with you. 

Now that ladies and gentlemen is an actual keyboard warrior.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Prem Sikka @premnsikka 4h4 hours ago

Anyone seen Arthur Daley lately: Here is the deal - prospective candidates for the the election paid £350k non-refundable deposit to Farage's Brexit Party; Farage decides to pull candidates from safe Tory seats; money won't be returned. Nice little earner.

 

What do they say - fools and their money easily parted.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

What do they say - fools and their money easily parted.....

I think some are waking up to the conmen.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Still at least when we come out my wardrobe my be back in fashion

backingbritain_003

 

I'm not too sure if those boots suit you KG....

....................not the length anyway 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herman said:

This thread maybe of interest to some, especially the fag packet accountants amongst you.😉

only if you want to see the finer detail of how Farage has been fleecing the stupid

much as Trum,p who used a veterans charity for his pesonal benefit

that there are still those so stupid they cannot see through these pair of shysters makes you wonder just what they will require in the way of evidence

much as with the fat fraud

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-general-election-yorkshire-flood-office-a9201496.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Conservative Party now has more support among working-class voters than the upper classes, according to a new poll which predicts that Boris Johnson will win a 110-seat majority at the general election.

The exclusive Savanta ComRes survey for The Daily Telegraph found that 43 per cent of voters from the DE social group are prepared to vote for the Tories on December 12, up from 35 per cent in 2017. The poll found 40 per cent of AB voters plan to back Mr Johnson compared to 46 per cent who were prepared to vote for Theresa May two years ago.

As champions of free-market capitalism, the Conservatives have always traditionally been seen as the party of the rich. However, since the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016, the largely Remain voting so-called metropolitan liberal elite have pivoted to the Liberal Democrats. Conversely, working-class Leave voters are increasingly backing the Prime Minister’s promise to ‘get Brexit done’ in the face of Labour prevarication over a second referendum.

Although the pollster said the results may have been affected by a change in methodology since the last election, it is significant that the Tories are polling so well with lower socio-economic groups. Mr Johnson is hoping to win over Labour leave constituencies to secure a parliamentary majority on December 13. 

 

brexit track.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Although the pollster said the results may have been affected by "being paid by the Tories propaganda sheet, he hopes that the gullible will believe this tosh that Tories care for them" 

There fixed it for you... btw: duh, of course it does, always has - how do you think they elect MPs?

The Conservative Party now has more support among working-class voters than the upper classes, according to a new poll ....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There you go, Priti Patel is promising to cut immigration. Just like 2010, 2015 and 2017. Will you fall for it again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×