Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I'm shocked. Given his level of insider expert knowledge, and his cast iron assurances it wouldn't close, I thought Swindo's conclusion that Brexit would have no impact on it was absolutely resolute and infallible

How many times before it gets in your head, Honda leaving had nothing to do with Brexit.

• Haha 1

Putting incompetents into Cabinet positions, or even better putting sycophants who's only publicly stated goal is to undermine the role of the Department the Cabinet minister is being appointed to run is a well worn path to "glorious leader" dictatorship:

Evidence  - see Trump. Once again the UK follows it's idealogical master; you want to know what happens next - just look over here.

Budgets that don't match up to campaign promises is just a start: all politicians shade the truth, but current promises are outright lies when compared to the budget request that would back them up. 

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/482424-five-takeaways-from-trumps-budget

When Trump released his first budget proposal, it projected that the deficit would fall to $456 billion by 2021 and disappear by 2027. His administration brushed aside critiques that its projections were unrealistic and relied on overly optimistic economic projections. 

Monday’s proposal put the 2021 deficit at nearly $1 trillion, and Trump’s White House is predicting that it will take 15 years to eliminate the deficit. It is still relying on the same cheerful economic predictions it has used in previous budgets, which are significantly higher than those projected by the Federal Reserve, the Congressional Budget Office and Wall Street banks. 

Beyond those estimates, Trump’s budget could cut the deficit without raising taxes by stripping out $4.4 trillion in spending over the next decade. About half of that comes from bone-deep cuts to domestic agencies, covering anything from environmental protection and foreign aid to education and transportation. The other half comes from scaling back health and anti-poverty programs. 

45 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Evidence please Swindon?

look back I've already given it !!

Edited by SwindonCanary
people who can't spell swindon

I had never been particularly aware of Sunak before today - but I do not think his appointment was just a knee-jerk reaction by Boris. Sunak has been Chief Sec to the Treasury since the middle of last year, so he knows the territory. He is also a pretty smart cookie - he has an Oxford first in PPE and an MBA from Standford and knows his way around the world of high finance.Now lets see how he performs in the top job.

Edited by SwindonCanary

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I had never been particularly aware of Sunak before today - but I do not think his appointment was just a knee-jerk reaction by Boris. Sunak has been Chief Sec to the Treasury since the middle of last year, so he knows the territory. He is also a pretty smart cookie - he has an Oxford first in PPE and an MBA from Standford and knows his way around the world of high finance.Now lets see how he performs in the top job.

Very similar qualifications as Ed Balls. 😀

Whatever the underlying reason for Honda leaving, it’s going to be chalked up as a direct outcome of Brexit.

The same for anything positive. And people will judge Brexit on the positives v the negatives in due course. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Herman said:

"I know nothing about Suella Braverman until 5 minutes ago but 5 minutes googling (in this thread) has led me to the conclusion that human rights and Judicial Review are being lined up for the chopping block.

Aye -- She's an extreme Brexiteer who is going to kick Lefty judges @rses into touch 👍 Long overdue..

Red Tory-Remainiac-tax pensions and mansions-Javid, forced to go 👍

Anybody who doesn't like this Cummings cull today must be a Lefty 🔔🔚 ---  Hark at me stating the obvious 😀

Edited by Jools

Jowls, the useful idiot. I'm not sure what you will gain from this Hungarian style fascistic government. I doubt it will make you happy, nothing does, but I am sure you wil be cheering when people are getting banged up for nothing.

19 minutes ago, Herman said:

Jowls, the useful idiot. I'm not sure what you will gain from this Hungarian style fascistic government. I doubt it will make you happy, nothing does, but I am sure you wil be cheering when people are getting banged up for nothing.

😀 Are you being serious?

Cummings clearing out the Common Purpose is hardly fascistic and Boris has liberal tendencies..

(Full Cabinet x22)

Boris Johnson
Rishi Sunak
Priti Patel
Dominic Raab
Michael Gove
Ben Wallace
Robert Buckland
Liz Truss
Alok Sharma
Matt Hancock
Therese Coffey
Grant Shapps
Gavin Williamson
George Eustice
Brandon Lewis
Robert Jenrick
Alastair Jack
Simon Hart
Baroness Evans
Oliver Dowden
Anne Marie-Trevalyn
Amanda Milling
---------------------------------
(Junior ministers attending cabinet x4)

Jacob Rees-Mogg
Stephen Barclay
Suella Braverman
Mark Spencer

Would you really call any of those above, fascist?

Yes and some are such sycophants and careerists that they will quite happily go along with anything. They're the worst ones. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yes and some are such sycophants and careerists that they will quite happily go along with anything. They're the worst ones. 

Au contraire, Hermione --- The cull today says to me that Boris & Cummings have played a blinder and showed they seriously mean business with Brexit --- No more compromising and putting up with Civil Service cr@p and hindrance from elected and unelected Brexit blockers 👍 They were the worst ones.

Boris - and who is the other guy? Did he stand for election too? Or is he like Miller in the Trump administration who pushes similar nationalistic immigration and supreme leader based policy? 

One thing is certain, whatever happens with Brexit moving forward, Boris will own it lock stock and barrel. Hope for everyone sake that he’s right - and we will see soon enough. 

Aye, the hypocrisy is laughable. They whined endlessly about unelected bureaucrats and now they have one running their whole country. 

The crappiness of Brexiters will never cease to amaze me. 

13 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

How many times before it gets in your head, Honda leaving had nothing to do with Brexit.

So that's why Honda issued a formal statement admitting Brexit was a factor in the decision?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

So that's why Honda issued a formal statement admitting Brexit was a factor in the decision?

@SwindonCanary is fairly typical of Leavers now and in the future. Having prevailed in the referendum and the subsequent democratic processing of the decision they fail to recognise and deny any consequencies. Honda issued various statements saying Brexit was a factor, as did BMW when explaining why they had postponed the next generation Mini. In fact only a fool would suggest that senior figures in the motor industry were not taking this into account in their planning. Afterall, they have been explaining this for nearly four years. Motor manufacturing has been a great success in the UK as a member of the EU over the last 30 years. A significant turn around based on foreign manufacturers and single market membership. Unless the government provide significant state aid the industry have real problems and could well close completely. This will provide a certain Schaudenfraude when considering those idiots in Sunderland but is not good for the UK.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Remianers hate unelected British strategic advisers, funny that isn't it 😀 

We could always have a referendum to see if it's democratic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Remianers hate unelected British strategic advisers, funny that isn't it 😀 

Dominic Cummings strategic thinking:

"Lie to the people. They don't notice or they don't care." 

1 referendum and 1 election later and he is proven right. 

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

could you point me in the direction of that link please. 

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Says the man supposedly still looking for a hardtalk and Belfast article link?

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I have posted the quotes at least three times previously.

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

As I said I'm no longer looking !

So one rule for you and one rule for everyone else, doesn't seem very fair Swindo

8 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I will state here and now, HONDA have NEVER said it was to do with Brexit !

When Honda announced the closure it said Brexit was not a factor. This was met with widespread derision and went against what Honda executives had previously told the workers. Two or three days later, in the face of this disbelief, Honda issued a second statement, realising the first had just made itself look stupid. It went as follows:

''Honda is on record as stating that its preferred scenario following Brexit is one that delivers frictionless trade, access to talent and regulatory alignment. It is true that a ‘no-deal’ scenario would cause a number of challenges for our operations. However, no one single event has led to the proposal to cease production at Swindon. The decision is in response to unprecedented change in the global automotive industry and the need to deploy electrification technologies across our business.''

That it was not 'one single event' that caused the decision is no doubt true. There were factors beyond Brexit. But by detailing the potential extra problems that Brexit would cause Honda is clearly saying that was one of the decisive factors. In reality it may well have tipped the balance.

To spell it out, Honda says it wanted a Brexit that delivered frictionless trade, access to talent (through freedom of movement), and regulatory alignment. Which are the three key elements of the single market. But May had categorically ruled out staying in the single market.

Honda says a no-deal Brexit would cause 'a number of challenges', which is business-speak for 'costly problems we won't have if we move elsewhere' but that is understating it. Any future trade deal that did not allow complete access to the single market would scr*w Honda's Swindon business model. I am not an expert on the motor industry but I know someone who is, and I gather that the profit margins are so tight that any friction in the process potentially makes it unworkable. And that is without the no-deal possibiity of tariffs.

So Swindon's fate was effectively sealed the moment May threw out the SM option. That as it happens we seem to be heading towards the worst-case scenario of a no-deal might make it look as if Honda realised that was coming and otherwise would have saved Swindon. But not so.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

However, no one single event has led to the proposal to cease production at Swindon. The decision is in response to unprecedented change in the global automotive industry and the need to deploy electrification technologies across our business.''

The decision was due to one single event, It was the trade deal the EU did with Japan !