Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Sorry for the delay, but I don't have the know how to call back old pages from the Belfast Telegraph, every time I call it back from my history it takes me to today's paper.

You try it, I've had an attempt to call back every way, but to me it seems impossible PS. There no need to repeat yourself !

Edited by SwindonCanary

someone posted this on twitter

Beef  -  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Cheese  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Wheat  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Butter  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Lamb  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Pork  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Potatoes  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Fish  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

all imports much cheaper than the European Union

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

You try it, I've had an attempt to call back every way, but to me it seems impossible PS. There no need to repeat yourself !

I do it all the time and it is very easy. The only problem is trying to remember the day you've read something. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I do it all the time and it is very easy. The only problem is trying to remember the day you've read something. 

give me the link to the 23 January 2020,

20 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Does that include dodgy instagram models? :classic_tongue:

Instagram not  a world I know (really not!😇) but isn't that a tautology?🤓

On 04/02/2020 at 00:46, Surfer said:

More like it is in this American President's interests to have a subservient UK off the coast of Europe.

Just like Iraq in the Middle East. See fixed it for you. Boris and Dominic might be OK with that if course. 

The Democrats are not our friends? Why are they Russians or something? And for your information the Democrats would have to agree to pass any FTA legislation in the House - which they control - so you can forget anything happening before Jan 17 2021 if Democrats do not agree.... and that assumes Republicans get  the House back; unless of course the "Imperial Presidency" says he can do anything he wants, despite what Congress says, so shove it.

'So shove it', eh? 

That sounds very much like you would hate to see the UK have a bad trade deal with the US. Why do you want bad for your own country? Why aren't you cheering for an outcome that brings jobs and wealth to the UK? Is point-scoring more important to you that seeing the best for our country?

Oh well, the haters are always going to hate.

6 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

more proof that the left can't do humour

Oh well, the haters are always going to hate. 😀

The right wing can do comedy. I remember seeing Farage crawl out of a crashed aeroplane and laughing my **** off. Classic bit of slapstick. 

Beef  -  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Cheese  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Wheat  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Butter  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Lamb  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Pork  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Potatoes  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

Fish  100% produced in the UK, also imported cheaper from the USA and Australia, New Zealand, Canada

What's interesting, Swindon, is that many of those items on the list that we produce are premium products on the world market. Item such as Aberdeen Angus beef and Scottish salmon, Stilton cheeses we can command top prices for these products. It's a sector we can delvelop to great advantage now that we are independent. 

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

The right wing can do comedy. I remember seeing Farage crawl out of a crashed aeroplane and laughing my **** off. Classic bit of slapstick. 

You are a sick man

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

What's interesting, Swindon, is that many of those items on the list that we produce are premium products on the world market. Item such as Aberdeen Angus beef and Scottish salmon, Stilton cheeses we can command top prices for these products. It's a sector we can delvelop to great advantage now that we are independent. 

What's interesting is that there is no evidence or basic facts to Swindon's post, yet you happily run with it. Why would that be? 

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

What's interesting is that there is no evidence or basic facts to Swindon's post, yet you happily run with it. Why would that be? 

My post is both factual and truthful

The issue the lamb farmers raise, is that whilst we rear lambs in the UK, we only sell certain cuts (eg lamb chops) domestically, and rely on exporting the rest of the lamb to the EU.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

'So shove it', eh? 

That sounds very much like you would hate to see the UK have a bad trade deal with the US. Why do you want bad for your own country? Why aren't you cheering for an outcome that brings jobs and wealth to the UK? Is point-scoring more important to you that seeing the best for our country?

Oh well, the haters are always going to hate.

You should read and reflect on your own words. 

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

And what exactly are you trying to say Swindon? 

That imports are cheaper than UK produced food? If so isn’t that suggesting that UK food producers will go to the wall under a no tariff FTA? Lower costs may be good for owners of supermarket chains, but the impact on our rural economies - who mostly backed Brexit - would be devastating. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

serveimage (1).jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Now @SwindonCanary posted a tweet without evidence and failed to add any context, which is about par for the course. It has already been pointed out that double zero (zero quotas, zero tariffs) would decimate our farmers and fisherman's livelihoods if adopted. But there is more to consider, food pricing is not an issue in the UK because we have developed an efficient system which has driven down prices in real terms over decades. This allows the UK food industry to add value through higher standards & quality. What @SwindonCanary is unwittingly suggesting is closing the UK's farming and fishing industries, lowering standards/controls/quality and presenting the UK a food security problem. Once the UK is totally dependent on food imports what is to stop other countries taking advantage of this?

This brings me to your own comically stupid post @Rock The Boat. Firstly, Stilton. As you are no doubt aware Stilton cheese is Protected designation of origin (PDO). This is an EU regulation, without a deal that will fall away and any country will be able to make Stilton cheese. Scottish Salmon exports are only around £500million, half of which go to the EU. That half will be at risk if there is no deal. When it comes to Beef 86% of exports go to the EU, again all at risk in the case of a no deal.

Perhaps you (or someone like @paul moy) could explain to why there is such an obsession amongst the WTO rules/hard Brexit advocates for the UK's primary industries? As a developed country these are of neglible importance and will play little part in the countries future success. This rests with the secondary and services industries.

Edited by BigFish
grammar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Now @SwindonCanary posted a tweet without evidence and failed to add any context, which is about par for the course. It has already been pointed out that double zero (zero quotas, zero tariffs) would decimate our farmers and fisherman's livelihoods if adopted. But there is more to consider, food pricing is not an issue in the UK because we have developed an efficient system which has driven down prices in real terms over decades. This allows the UK food industry to add value through higher standards & quality. What @SwindonCanary is unwittingly suggesting is closing the UK's farming and fishing industries, lowering standards/controls/quality and presenting the UK a food security problem. Once the UK is totally dependent on food imports what is to stop other countries taking advantage of this?

This brings me to your own comically stupid post @Rock The Boat. Firstly, Stilton. As you are no doubt aware Stilton cheese is Protected designation of origin (PDO). This is an EU regulation, without a deal that will fall away and any country will be able to make Stilton cheese. Scottish Salmon exports are only around £500million, half of which go to the EU. That half will be at risk if there is no deal. When it comes to Beef 86% of exports go to the EU, again all at risk in the case of a no deal.

Perhaps you (or someone like @paul moy) could explain to why there is such an obsession amongst the WTO rules/hard Brexit advocates for the UK's primary industries? As a developed country these are of neglible importance and will play little part in the countries future success. This rests with the secondary and services industries.

Also worth noting more than 82% of cheese exports go to the EU

What @SwindonCanary is unwittingly suggesting is closing the UK's farming and fishing industries, lowering standards/controls/quality and presenting the UK a food security problem. Once the UK is totally dependent on food imports what is to stop other countries taking advantage of this?

Wrong what I'm suggesting is that not all trade has to be with the EU. We can shop around for the cheapest product from the whole world. 

24 minutes ago, BigFish said:

What's stupidly comical is your insistence that exports to the EU are about to come to a sudden halt - much in the same way that you told us planes would stop flying to Europe if we voted for Brexit.

The Protected Designated of Origin is an EU scheme to protect large parts of European food production. Are you really so stupid as to believe the EU will not want to include PDO status in a trade deal with us? Because if they did, it would give the UK the right to sell products as Parma Ham and Champagne. This is obviously an example where their being bigger than us is a disadvantage. We actually would be better off without following PDO but back here in the real world it is obvious to serious commentators that PDO statutes will continue to be respected between the UK and the EU.

Neither is Swindon anything of the sort of scare tactics that you just can't let go of, even though it's nearly four years since Project Fear began. The EU will continue to buy our beef and salmon. Despite our leaving the EU, our salmon sales to the EU increased by 25% in value last year. They will continue to buy them in the future because they are quality products, and better for us, we will be signing free trade agreements across the globe to open up new markets for our highly demanded goods.

• Like 1

You can buy a whole chicken from Sainsburys for just over 2 quid. That's from rearing to shop. How cheap do you want food to go? And what quality would it be if it is flown half way around the world and still comes out cheaper than 2 quid? 

1 minute ago, Herman said:

You can buy a whole chicken from Sainsburys for just over 2 quid. That's from rearing to shop. How cheap do you want food to go? And what quality would it be if it is flown half way around the world and still comes out cheaper than 2 quid? 

Funny how you use chicken as an example when it's something I never re-posted 🤔