Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

YA WELL IF YOU THINK I HAVE CALL IT BACK, I'VE NEVER BEEN RACIST , IT'S JUST YOU LOT CALLING OTHERS OUT.

Oh ****. He used caps lock. Now I’m really scared. Grow up.

Many of your comments came from the other, now deleted thread. 

I can’t quote but I can distinctly remember you stating that English kids were being held back because they had foreigners in their class for a start. Which is either utterly made up ****, or a damning indictment on education in Swindon as I’ve worked in schools for a decade across 4 local authorities and never even heard of a similar issue, let alone seen one

You are a racist, you frequently make racist comments and you don’t even have the awareness or understanding to own the fact you’re a racist. Mainly because you’re a moron I guess.

Edited by kick it off

REPEAT - I'VE NEVER BEEN RACIST ,

all I was pointing out was the numbers NOT the colour or cread 

Edited by SwindonCanary

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

REPEAT - I'VE NEVER BEEN RACIST ,

Making it bold doesn’t make it true. I’ve just outlined at least one example although there have been numerous others I don’t recall as clearly. If everybody is calling you a racist, and you don’t understand why then maybe the problem is with you, not everyone else

12 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

In the last three years we've been called racists, bigots and god knows what else just because we believe Great Britain can stand on her own feet and not be dictated to !

Well, there's Northern Ireland sold down the river...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Of course that is not  the view of the FT. It is only the view of a historian as an outside columnist, allowed to do so since the FT believes in giving space to opinions it does not at all share.

The actual view of the FT on Brexit comes in its leading article, which could not remotely be regarded as welcoming a Happy Brexit Day. instead the leader specifically warns against just the kind of potentially ruinous trade deal with the EU the goverrnment says it wants:

There is little point in trying to 'level up' UK regions while pursuing divergence from EU standards that would hobble industries that are vital to regional economies. It makes no sense to pursue a bare-bones trade deal with Britain's largest and nearest partner - the EU - in the hope of reaping benefits from a vaunted agreement  with the US that may prove illusory.

And the FT is hardly alone in this view. The Washington Post carries an article  today from Carl Bildt, the former (right-wing) Swedish prime minister (so someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to the EU and economics and trade) that itemises  all the trade advantages the UK is giving up and the high unlikelihood of making up the loss.

Good to see more a balanced editorial stance.

30 minutes ago, wooster said:

In the '80s we effectively shut down our coal, steel and shipbuilding industries along with 80% of our manufacturing base.  In the '80s & '90s privatisation of telecomms, gas, electricity and water led to massive job losses in these industries.

Yet now all that pain seems like a price worth paying and the economy has recovered from its dire state in the '70s.

I am confident that leaving the EU will seem like a tea party compared to what we experienced 30-40 years ago.  I have faith that we have the capability to embrace the new opportunities that will arise though I accept the transition will be difficult for some.

Peter Bone said in Parliament yesterday that over the course of our membership of the EU we have paid 'net' £200+ billion to the EU for the benefit of allowing them to export £100m pa more to us than we exported to them.  "That was not a good deal".

So I have toasted Brexit already today with a couple of beers and I am now about to open some Champagne to prove that I'm an Europhile if not an EUphile.

Did that decrepit old **** Peter Bonio explain how much trade we have done with our EU partners over the decades or did he just pick out little snippets to feed to fools?

We didn't allow them to sell us more, that is just the way the economies have worked. They produce stuff we want, we buy it. If we are too crap to grow our own food or make or own machinery that is purely because of internal policy failures.

The whole of this fiasco is because successive UK governments have failed in domestic policy. They've managed to endlessly scapegoat the EU and various others, with help from a dreadful press, and you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Enjoy your brexit. I really hope it goes well for your sake because it will neither be forgiven or forgotten. (At least you will be guaranteed another scapegoat,so you won't have to take resposibilty, if it goes wrong.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Making it bold doesn’t make it true. I’ve just outlined at least one example although there have been numerous others I don’t recall as clearly. If everybody is calling you a racist, and you don’t understand why then maybe the problem is with you, not everyone else

SORRY BUT IT'S STILL TRUE !

4 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Ironic that someone so passionate about UK sovereignty doesn’t even know what the difference between GB and UK is.... or acknowledge the fact that GB will only exist in a political sense for 2 years or so until the Scots find a way to get IndyRef2 off the ground and it breaks up both GB and the UK

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

SORRY BUT IT'S STILL TRUE !

So you do acknowledge you’re a racist? Well apologizing is a good first step I guess....

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Did that decrepit old **** Peter Bonio explain how much trade we have done with our EU partners over the decades or did he just pick out little snippets to feed to fools?

We didn't allow them to sell us more, that is just the way the economies have worked. They produce stuff we want, we buy it. If we are too crap to grow our own food or make or own machinery that is purely because of internal policy failures.

The whole of this fiasco is because successive UK governments have failed in domestic policy. They've managed to endlessly scapegoat the EU and various others, with help from a dreadful press, and you have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Enjoy your brexit. I really hope it goes well for your sake because it will neither be forgiven or forgotten. (At least you will be guaranteed another scapegoat,so you won't have to take resposibilty, if it goes wrong.)

Interesting that you blame UK consumers or UK governments for the EU trade imbalance and the excessive fees we paid the EU.

Our largest single export market is USA - without a trade agreement.  We can't be that bad, can we?

4 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

This is a sad fact. My company buys soil from Northern Ireland. We will now have to get special documentation to import. From a part of the UK. Well done Brexiters.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

In the past ten years or so our trade with the EU has diminished and is no longer as important as it appeared before, as trade with the rest of the world has increased. Most goods we buy from them can now be easily substituted from elsewhere and much cheaper.  We can also now grow our farming and fisheries no longer hamstrung by EU regulations, so our need for imports will further diminish. On top of that.... NO MORE EXHORBITANT MEMBERSHIP FEES !!!!!     NO MORE VAT CONTRIBUTIONS !!!!  NO MORE TARIFF CONTRIBUTIONS !!!!!       FREEEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMMMM AT LAST !!!!!!

1 minute ago, paul moy said:

NO MORE EXHORBITANT MEMBERSHIP FEES !!!!!     NO MORE VAT CONTRIBUTIONS !!!!  NO MORE TARIFF CONTRIBUTIONS !!!!!       FREEEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMMMM AT LAST !!!!!!

🎵 No income tax, no VAT 🎶

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

This is a sad fact. My company buys soil from Northern Ireland. We will now have to get special documentation to import. From a part of the UK. Well done Brexiters.

I've always found the best place for high quality topsoil is sugar beet factories. They give it away.

2 minutes ago, wooster said:

I've always found the best place for high quality topsoil is sugar beet factories. They give it away.

Generously spread across the roads

3 minutes ago, wooster said:

Interesting that you blame UK consumers or UK governments for the EU trade imbalance and the excessive fees we paid the EU.

Our largest single export market is USA - without a trade agreement.  We can't be that bad, can we?

We are and have been members of the EU for over forty years yet you still have the mentality of them and us and that is why we have gone down this stupid route. We have paid a membership fee like all the other members and for that we get access to the largest trading bloc in the world. The fact that we haven't set up companies or helped them to exploit this IS our fault.

We sell a lot to the US because they want what we sell. Yet a regular whinge from the brexiters was that we needed to leave the EU to be able to trade to the rest of the world. That was utter bollox.

6 minutes ago, wooster said:

They'll be out of business soon. Why do you think so many Belizeans and old Tate sugarmen have been championing brexit?

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

We are and have been members of the EU for over forty years yet you still have the mentality of them and us and that is why we have gone down this stupid route. We have paid a membership fee like all the other members and for that we get access to the largest trading bloc in the world. The fact that we haven't set up companies or helped them to exploit this IS our fault.

We sell a lot to the US because they want what we sell. Yet a regular whinge from the brexiters was that we needed to leave the EU to be able to trade to the rest of the world. That was utter bollox.

Oh but that isn't so, as you well know. All other members, apart from Germany, have over the period paid less than the benefits they've received.   Hence their happiness to forsake sovereignty for economic well-being.

Re USA, you're right we don't need to leave EU to export successfully.  However, we do need to leave EU if we are to trade optimally with the growing economies of the 21st century.

Edited by wooster

4 minutes ago, wooster said:

Oh but that isn't so, as you well know. All other members, apart from Germany, have over the period paid less than the benefits they've received.   Hence their happiness to forsake sovereignty for economic well-being.

Are you desperate to die on this dumb hill?

So Germany and all the other EU members took advantage of their memberships and used it to grow their economies. We didn't but it's everybody else's fault? They've gained more in benefits because they managed their economy better to take advantage of the benefits. It's common sense.

We're in a globalised world, sovereignty is a nonsensical red herring in a Western capitalist nation. It's a totally meaningless, abstract concept as we never ceded control of making any rules and had the power of veto. To suggest we somehow couldn't use the power of veto indicates far more about the quality of politicians we're offering up than it does about the EU structure.

I'm sure you have some good, sensible and credible points to make, but at the moment you're doubling down on a point that is entirely flawed.

Edited by kick it off

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

That’s me done on this thread, a Happy Brexit to you all 🍺

And a very happy Brexit to you too VW.

As is the tradition, I've inserted an euro coin into my Champagne cork in the hope that whilst it stays put we will remain outside the EU.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

My very last ever contribution to this topic.

What a shame that these idiots  couldn't just go quietly. They won't make too much fuss as the pension hits the bank account.

I’m not a violent person normally but I would love to smash this bloke’s face into a pulp 😡😡😡

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

No it didn't. We always had the power of veto.

Thought (Lisbon) allowed QMV after 2014 rather than national veto (Nice) other than for taxation issues.

Genuine apologies if I'm wrong Herman.

I think this says it all. Roll on the days of freedom and being able to burn a flag without looking like an utter fvckwit. Moy/Swindo - is this you in the national press?

17:36

Brexiteer fails to burn EU flag

A man has celebratrf Britain’s imminent exit from the EU by trying to burn an EU flag.

However, because of material standards enforced by the EU (BS EN 13773:2003 – ‘Textiles and textile products – Burning behaviour – Curtains and drapes – Classification scheme’) the flag would not burn.

Presumably this man will have more success in a few years time once such red tape is done away with.

A man tries to burn an EU flag
  • Haha 1