Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

“British farming can be ‘envy of the world’ after Brexit, leading agriculture figures tell Prime Minister

The National Farmers Union, Greenpeace and the RSPB, along with 60 other organisations, have written to Boris Johnson calling for food standards to be enshrined in law after we leave the EU, in a letter seen by the Telegraph. 

Brexit is an opportunity for British farming to become “the envy of the world”, farmers and environmentalists have told the prime minister in a rare joint missive. 

The National Farmers Union, Greenpeace and the RSPB, along with 60 other organisations, have written to Boris Johnson calling for food standards to be enshrined in law after we leave the EU, in a letter seen by the Telegraph. 

“Brexit can be a catalyst for UK farming not just to be the envy of the world, but to provide gold-standard model for high standard, high quality, sustainable food production,” reads the letter, which was sent over the weekend. 

It calls for the government to include its manifesto commitment to maintain animal welfare and food standards during trade talks in the forthcoming Agriculture Bill....”

Lets hope the Government listen.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's owned by BMW as is the Rolls Royce, but most of the profits made, are reinvested into the two companies. That's why I was able to retire at 56years old, and living off a very good income.

That's lucky as those Instagram models can be financially demanding.

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's owned by BMW as is the Rolls Royce, but most of the profits made, are reinvested into the two companies

So that's BMW reinvesting in BMW then...🤣

Apples

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

That's why I was able to retire at 56years old, and living off a very good income.

Well done, sounds great but makes me wonder why you waste your retirement posting complete rubbish on here, presumably after also wasting your retirement browsing fake news sites.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 22/01/2020 at 17:39, PurpleCanary said:

I just took this one supposed fact:

Free movement

Despite all the despair about Brexit taking away our freedom to live, love and travel the world, not many Brits choose to live in continental Europe. Most who do are retirees in Spain, who aren’t taking the opportunity to explore the world but just want less winter in their autumn years.

Most expat Brits do not live in Spain, and many of those who do are not retirees. The clear majority of expats in the EU live in France, Germany, Eire, Italy the Netherlands etc. And most of them work. Which is the point of freedom of movement, and not as this idiot seems to think a way of pursuing some lotus-eating lifestyle. Hence the problem with its potential loss.

These workers have been able to move from one EU country to another as the work takes them. But when the UK leaves, although these people will probably be able to stay in whichever country they are in at the moment, they will almost certainly lose the right to keep on moving where the work is.

Just to emphasise this point that most UK expat families need freedom of movement to switch from on EU country to another because of work, The Guardian today helpfully provided the relevant statistic and argument:

But when the UK leaves the single market after transition, certain rights will fall away, including freedom of movement. This is a major blow for the 80% of UK citizens on the continent who are of working age or younger; they fought hard to lock free movement into the withdrawal agreement, but the EU decided this should be part of the trade talks.

13 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Aah we're back to 'lefties' again are we?

Pathetic response even for you, and I think you'll find that its the Home Office which has a problem of institutionalised racism, and has had for many years.

More relevant to this particular case, they also have a problem of massive incompetence and make mistakes on an industrial scale, yet appear to be entirely indifferent to the impact they have on peoples' lives. Given their own ineptitude I think we could reasonably expect them to bit a little more forgiving\understanding when people make mistakes in dealing with our byzantine systems and policies. They could, for example, ask applicants to submit further evidence if it was genuinely required rather than simply jump on any excuse to deny people their rights.

They could, of course, simplify the processes which would result in fewer mistakes and perhaps even mean that they could manage to process applications in a reasonably timely manner - something else they've never yet managed.

But the idea of protecting peoples' rights is so alien to the Home Office that it is never going to happen, in fact we can look forward to things deteriorating even further as after the end of this year they can literally do what they like. No EU to restrain their malice or mitigate their incompetence, they can (and will) trash our rights whenever it suits them but at least we'll have a glow of satisfaction in knowing its what we voted for 😀 

This is a really weird post. Like the French chef you are blaming the Home Office for this gentleman's ineptitude. I've helped people make visa applications and if you go onto the government's web site it clearly states what the requirements are when applying for a visa. Tens of thousands of people seem to understand this and correctly submit the required documentation and get their visas granted.

In this case the gentleman didn't supply the evidence required. It is not the responsibility of the Home Office to chase up people who haven't supplied the correct paperwork. You seem to think it is. You are wrong. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that his/her application meets the requirements.

In any case, I suspect the correct evidence wasn't supplied because the Chef was mistakenly applying for permanent residence when he should have been applying for settled status. The guy is an idiot, and so are you for supporting him.

It's interesting watching some of these comments that allow you to get a measure of some of the posters

We have SC - who 'retired at 56' when it sounds far more like voluntary redundancy and who also thinks it's a good redundancy deal for Honda going forward (as opposed to keeping the jobs for the future). Thirty pieces of silver comes to mind. Easily bought for short term gain.

In a similar manner we have PM claiming to have 'retired' early. The rest of his views need no more comment from me.

Jool's is just a parrot (with apologies to parrots - the are quite bright) for Guido. Anybody who just copies and pastes such large amounts of guff that few read. - well lights on but certainly nobody at home.

Finally  - we have RTB who really let his guard down with his outrageous comments on Albania. What depths !

For the record, old directors and entrepreneurs rarely retire 'early' - they just fade away into their dotage in an 'advice' role.

27 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

In this case the gentleman didn't supply the evidence required. It is not the responsibility of the Home Office to chase up people who haven't supplied the correct paperwork. You seem to think it is. You are wrong. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that his/her application meets the requirements.

The chef did make a mistake although it seems highly unlikely it is because he is an idiot - if you'd bothered to read past the headline then you would know that he found the Home Office extremely difficult to contact (where have I heard that before???) and when he finally succeded they apparently didn't even understand their own processes (no surprises there!) and gave him misleading and at times contradictory advice (no surprises there either)

It is the responsibility of the Home Office to process applications efficiently and fairly - they do neither. If someone fails to provide some element of the vast and unnecessary paperwork which the Home Office demands then the fair approach would be to inform them their application cannot proceed until it is provided, not jump at the chance to deny them their rights and shut the process down.

All this is before we even get around to looking at whether the 'requirements' are actually genuine requirements necessary to ensure that applicants are entitled to be granted whatever status they have applied for, or whether much of them are present purely to deter and/or make the process more diffficult for genuine applicants. I suppose I am an idiot to expect that our Home Office should act with either integrity or competence when its has been obvious for many years that they have neither, so I've I'll just have to take that one on the chin.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

DAG has moved on, are we to continue fighting the 2016 referendum or can you all move on too?

He is saying what everyone else is saying. 

Tomorrow's Huawei announcement will be the first, true indication of Brexit Britains status in the world. 

30 minutes ago, Herman said:

He is saying what everyone else is saying. 

Indeed ....time to move on👍

35 minutes ago, Herman said:

Tomorrow's Huawei announcement will be the first, true indication of Brexit Britains status in the world. 

Yes - Seems the US view of the world is if you aren't 100% for us you are against us.

In that truth there lies the EU position - trying to be a balance between differing power blocks and doing what's best for Europe.

If Johnson caves into the USA despite what our own security advisers are saying we will quite clearly 'HAVE NO CONTROL' of our destiny.

Small fish, big sea, large sharks. Nice little hors d'oeuvre before the main course later.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Indeed ....time to move on👍

We are. Now it's time to hold you to account. This better be as good as you promised. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

We are. Now it's time to hold you to account. This better be as good as you promised. 

I suspect Johnson knows he has to remain close to the the EU. The latest tantrums from the USA and threats just proves it. He always did know it - being  a 'Leaver' was just a self-centred scam to become PM for him.  The trick will be how to achieve it - to tell the Leavers we have left when in truth we will stay in all ways that matter aligned. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever wrote

We have SC - who 'retired at 56' when it sounds far more like voluntary redundancy and who also thinks it's a good redundancy deal for Honda going forward (as opposed to keeping the jobs for the future). Thirty pieces of silver comes to mind. Easily bought for short term gain.

No not a voluntary redundancy, it was the first time I could retire, so I took it.  I got it with no bother as I was management and they can always lose them !

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - Seems the US view of the world is if you aren't 100% for us you are against us.

In that truth there lies the EU position - trying to be a balance between differing power blocks and doing what's best for Europe.

If Johnson caves into the USA despite what our own security advisers are saying we will quite clearly 'HAVE NO CONTROL' of our destiny.

Small fish, big sea, large sharks. Nice little hors d'oeuvre before the main course later.

To be fair to the US, that is the current Republican President's position. There are a lot of hard nosed, but still essentially fair people and officials in the US, but this Trump administration is definitely in that "you are for us or against us" mode, both internationally and also domestically. So the best strategy for Britain may be to wait on the result of the November elections, and see if Trump fails to get re-elected. But knowing the box that Boris has put himself in he'll probably not want to wait that long. 

I'm still just surprised that Huawei is the UK's apparent 5G technology chosen one and not a little Finnish company called Nokia. 

54 minutes ago, Herman said:

:classic_biggrin:

Just now, Surfer said:

To be fair to the US, that is the current Republican President's position. There are a lot of hard nosed, but still essentially fair people and officials in the US, but this Trump administration is definitely in that "you are for us or against us" mode, both internationally and also domestically. So the best strategy for Britain may be to wait on the result of the November elections, and see if Trump fails to get re-elected. But knowing the box that Boris has put himself in he'll probably not want to wait that long. 

I'm still just surprised that Huawei is the UK's apparent 5G technology chosen one and not a little Finnish company called Nokia. 

Actually I agree with you - I worked for rather large US defence company in NY around 2000 ish for nearly 10 years. That said - it always amuses me those who spout the so called special relationship - there was nothing special when it comes to deals, ITAR, US export licenses and similar. Its largely a myth which Trump has personified. Yes we are separated by a common language and have some common history (and even common law) but the USA is a land of a great many 'special relationships' (Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, Israel easily come to mind).

41 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

No not a voluntary redundancy, it was the first time I could retire, so I took it.  I got it with no bother as I was management and they can always lose them

The clown car manufacturing programme never fully recovered from this terrible loss and was cancelled soon after. 😭

Apples

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I suspect Johnson knows he has to remain close to the the EU. The latest tantrums from the USA and threats just proves it. He always did know it - being  a 'Leaver' was just a self-centred scam to become PM for him.  The trick will be how to achieve it - to tell the Leavers we have left when in truth we will stay in all ways that matter aligned. 

From what we have seen over the last few years Brexiters will buy anything. So duly expect lots of goalposts being moved and a lot of "I definitely voted for that". 

Meanwhile, not specifically related to Brexit, but indicative how far reporting standards at the BBC have fallen. 

How on earth do you report on the death of Kobe Bryant and show footage of LeBron James instead? 

I mean even if you didn't know who Bryant was, it says JAMES on the back of his shirt... 

... cue the "it wasn't intended" you are a "snowflake" and "they both played for the Lakers" excuses? 

James.jpg

56 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Yellow Fever wrote

No not a voluntary redundancy, it was the first time I could retire, so I took it.  I got it with no bother as I was management and they can always lose them !

What were you managing?

The paper clips?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I don't know about promised, but it certainly won't be as good as Brexiteers want...

27 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

The clown car manufacturing programme never fully recovered from this terrible loss and was cancelled soon after. 😭

Apples

The wheels fell off because the wheels wouldn't fall off. 

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Are you telling us what we already know? That Boris still has one foot in the globalist clubhouse...

2 hours ago, Herman said:

If your man George Soros agrees with Trumpski that Huawei represents a massive security threat to the UK, I reckon it's a serious problem, Hermione.

4 minutes ago, Jools said:

Are you telling us what we already know? That Boris still has one foot in the globalist clubhouse...

All it is Jool's is reality not unicorns coming home to roost. You all got deliriously drunk on Johnson's and Farage's rhetoric and make-believe promises - now come the reality in the cold light of day and one hell of a hangover. Did we really say/do/that etc? Yes you did and the whole world watched and saw you in disbelief. Now for the bill.

You can sod off with your anti semitic dog whistling. Today of all days as well.