Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Well they would say that, wouldn't they. Looks like sentiment to everyone else.

Howard Archer, warned: "It must be considered that the purchasing managers' surveys can tend to overstate developments at times of significant changing political circumstances, so the flash survey could possibly exaggerate the rebound in January after overplaying some of the earlier weakness."

I’m not  sure about “they would say that wouldn’t they” BF. Indeed they would say that as they also show their methodology which speaks for itself. I love the critical analysis of good news on here though, always enjoy the balance 😀

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good point Yellow Fever, so while we are still bound to the EU economy our prospects for growth still mirror those of the EU economy? I am shocked I tell you. I was expecting Brexit to have unleashed an unstoppable wave of economic acceleration already ....

.... so back in the real world, all of these posts are posturing, we have not left the EU yet, and the outcome will not be known for at least a year. Far from “we got Brexit done” , it is only just starting - with things like the flip flopping statements from the Chancellor over trade rules  this week - let’s see what these surveys say next quarter...

Is anybody taking bets on which industry gets dumped on by Johnson the quickest after February the first? 

2 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

You’ve never caught me out lying. 

Nice distraction though from the fact you posted up more ill informed guff. 

If you post up nonsense and lies from the internet that makes you a LIAR.

You really don’t have a clue about anything do you Swindon?

1 hour ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

No SwindoN. Is your constant lying a medical condition? 

Shall I call it back or are you going to continue with this farce

• Confused 1

Leave it out lads. It's terribly tiresome. It's the same as when Bill kept going on about the same thing. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Herman said:

Leave it out lads. It's terribly tiresome. It's the same as when Bill kept going on about the same thing. 

Apologies Herman. Swindo is incredibly childish so I’ll be the better man and stop this 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Herman said:

Is anybody taking bets on which industry gets dumped on by Johnson the quickest after February the first? 

Tricky one.

Logically the least significant. Fishing has been mentioned as trade off to keep the City.

I suspect the car industry. Lots of ready made excuses lined up. We have seen most of them already on here so politically easiest. The Brexiters wont notice anyway.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Fair points. The car industry, even aero, may lose him a few seats in his northern base, but he won't have to worry about that for a long time. 

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Fair points. The car industry, even aero, may lose him a few seats in his northern base, but he won't have to worry about that for a long time. 

It's kind of where I'm going. Its economics be damned but what's the easiest politically. Fishing is a bit too iconic but we can easily rationalize the car industry ... diesel, move to electric, industry in trouble. 40 pieces of silver to the employees. I could write the press release already.

More Feckin perks for the entitled generation! Cut them adrift and save some money!!

"Hundreds of thousands of UK nationals who retired to other European countries will continue to receive annual rises to their UK state pensions following Brexit on January 31. The government delivered reassurance to pensioners in the week that Parliament passed the withdrawal agreement under which the UK will leave the EU at the end of the month. Before this week, the government had warned that expat pensioners in other EU countries might lose annual increases to their state pension if the UK left the bloc without a deal."

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Good point Yellow Fever, so while we are still bound to the EU economy our prospects for growth still mirror those of the EU economy? I am shocked I tell you. I was expecting Brexit to have unleashed an unstoppable wave of economic acceleration already ....

.... so back in the real world, all of these posts are posturing, we have not left the EU yet, and the outcome will not be known for at least a year. Far from “we got Brexit done” , it is only just starting - with things like the flip flopping statements from the Chancellor over trade rules  this week - let’s see what these surveys say next quarter...

Best hold up on the predictions of doom then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I'm sure Ricardo could probably find us some odds somewhere 😁

My guess is that fishing will be the first, and I'm really looking forward to mad Moyo tying himself in knots trying to explain that one away 😂

19 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Best hold up on the predictions of doom then.

Well predictions is one thing, claiming there is "evidence" that shows there has been a material change is another. 

There is an interesting thread  by Peter Foster on how much the crash in the pound actually cost the country. Check out @pmdfoster,, Winky. Ex telegraph, now ft. 

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

My guess is that fishing will be the first, and I'm really looking forward to mad Moyo tying himself in knots trying to explain that one away 😂

No worries as I'm pretty certain we are heading to WTO due to EU bullying.

Edited by paul moy

1 hour ago, Herman said:

There is an interesting thread  by Peter Foster on how much the crash in the pound actually cost the country. Check out @pmdfoster,, Winky. Ex telegraph, now ft. 

Big Deal......... remoaners cost us at least one billion a month in extensions due to their skullduggery.  The drop in the pound actually boosted our manufacturing industry and tourism amongst other goodies, so it's all swings and roundabouts except in the minds of the remoaning minnies........ remoan remoan remoan... LOL

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

We are getting very close and I've heard nothing from the profits of doom, like No planes flying. 

No surprise there, though maybe you have heard of the Withdrawal Agreement and the transition period.

Plus of course you very rarely get any profits of doom (pretty much by definition really), and there aren't going to any profits of Brexit either but there have already been huge losses and they're about to get worse.

As for the prophets of doom I imagine they're still sharpening their pencils as despite your conviction that we were leaving three weeks ago we still haven't left yet - you really are a total idiot.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, paul moy said:

No worries as I'm pretty certain we are heading to WTO due to EU bullying.

You've been been repeating that continuously for three years now (or is it four?) and been proven wrong every time.

This year is your last chance and you will be wrong again, at least I very much hope you will because I'm very attached to traditional British fish and chips and if we go to WTO then we can kiss those goodbye immediately.

He doesn't have a scooby what WTO means. It's just another daft soundbite to fool the weak of mind. 😀

1 hour ago, Herman said:

He doesn't have a scooby what WTO means.

Well, you certainly don't and for the umpteenth time of posting the obvious, you utter dolt...

We currently import about half of our food tariff-free from the EU, but have to charge the approximate 30% EU tariff on all the food we import from the rest of the world --- When we leave the EU we can have tariff-free imports from the rest of the world.

If the EU wants to insist on charging approximate 30% tariffs on the tiny amount of food we sell to it, and on paying 30% tariffs on the enormous amount of food we buy from the EU, that will be their problem, not ours, especially as the world will be our tariff-free oyster.

I'm pretty sure I initially posted the above correct information on page 12 of the deleted 'EU' thread...

Which previous and already defunct argument are you going to attempt to make tomorrow?

💤

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jools said:

Well, you certainly don't and for the umpteenth time of posting the obvious, you utter dolt...

We currently import about half of our food tariff-free from the EU, but have to charge the approximate 30% EU tariff on all the food we import from the rest of the world --- When we leave the EU we can have tariff-free imports from the rest of the world.

If the EU wants to insist on charging approximate 30% tariffs on the tiny amount of food we sell to it, and on paying 30% tariffs on the enormous amount of food we buy from the EU, that will be their problem, not ours, especially as the world will be our tariff-free oyster.

I'm pretty sure I initially posted the above correct information on page 12 of the deleted 'EU' thread...

Which previous and already defunct argument are you going to attempt to make tomorrow?

💤

You may have posted on page 12 of the defunct thread but you were wrong then and you are wrong now. Under WTO most favoured nation rules if the UK gives tariff free access to the rest of the world the UK must give it to the EU. That is ignoring maintaining food standards e.g. non tariff barriers.

I can assure you that the UK's farming/food industry wouldn't be pleased with this massive own goal either.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Herman said:

👍

Aye, it's miles behind the Netherlands, Belgium and Malta and roughly the same as Germany and Italy. Also, only less than 10% of the UK is built on, which tends to get overlooked.

I was wrong about England being the most densely populated..it is indeed the Netherlands still.  But Belgium is a good way behind England, with 377 per square km compared to  430 for England. I declined to include Malta  due to its small size, but if small size matters then also include Vatican City and Monaco. Monaco would then be the most densely populated at 18,000 per sq. km.

• Like 3

It would be good if Jools did actually look at what tariffs the EU charges on ROW products because 30% is an utter **** claim. He could look at the multiple trade agreements, things like "anything but guns" rules etc.

Maybe even a trip around the supermarket to see where a lot of fresh fruit is coming from and ask himself why is it so cheap. Because there is no 30% mark up?? 

Whatever you posted on page 12 was bollox. It's still bollox. 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

It would be good if Jools did actually look at what tariffs the EU charges on ROW products because 30% is an utter **** claim. He could look at the multiple trade agreements, things like "anything but guns" rules etc.

Maybe even a trip around the supermarket to see where a lot of fresh fruit is coming from and ask himself why is it so cheap. Because there is no 30% mark up?? 

Whatever you posted on page 12 was bollox. It's still bollox. 

WTO rules have been the Holy Grail of Leave for years without any of the Leavers understanding it. We shall see this year but I doubt the like of @Jools and @paul moy will understand it even when it is demonstrated. Difficult to see why they and Guido keep posting this spurious nonsense about what will happen when Johnso and the government have all the power in the world to make the necessary choices and put them into action.

If anyone wants a tariff argument the truth is here https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections

Edited by BigFish
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Herman said:

Yes.   You two really need to stop if you actually want people to read the stuff you, and others, post.

On the issue on population density I have done 5 minutes research and there are official estimates that support both of you.  Neither of you is lying, you are simply relying on different evidence.

So keen are you on attacking each other that you have derailed what could have been an Interesting discussion on town planning in a changing world.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I'm offering 4-6 that both sides will dig up something in order to claim victory.😀

• Like 1

I don't think anyone was attacking anyone, just making sure the right facts and figures are out there. It's all good.