Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I haven't googled the rest, I would be surprised if they haven't been reported also

They haven't.

Readers won't be surprised to find that a lot of those were reported, whether the BBC, ITV or local newspapers like the Yorkshire post.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Readers won't be surprised to find that a lot of those were reported, whether the BBC, ITV or local newspapers like the Yorkshire post.

Every single one was reported on extensively both locally and nationally.

Poor Jools......he should have said..... yes....yes...yes

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Of course they were, couple of months ago I think in the case of Aston Martin. I suppose for someone like @Jools who seems to live primarily in the 19th century this is breaking news  😂

Of course if he'd read the whole article he would know it is only 300 jobs with a plan to become 750 eventually - hopefully that will still happen though with Aston Martin sales and share price dropping significantly last year I wouldn't say it was a safe bet.

👍

Yep, I'd definitely heard about the Amazon jobs recently and, as I don't read Guido or Breitbart, it must have come from a sane broadcaster.

TODAY'S THE DAY.  As a so-called Leaver, I have no problem with those that held strong Remain views - we are all allowed our own differing opinions. However, I increasingly object to the un-necessary mud slinging and name calling that now seems the norm on this forum. Leave opinion has democratically won the day and the UK will now leave the EU tonight.

11 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes. This is really just another example of the idiocy (I know no other word for it) of RTB trying to discredit the EU and completely shooting himself in both feet hands and head all at once. It's in the same league as his American girlfriend mishap. I'm surprised the competent Brexiters haven't managed to gag him yet.

Oxymoron. I’ve requested numerous times for a logical practical evidence based justification for Brexit and all I get from brexiteers is Inane idealology racism islamophobic and nationalism. You would have thought they would realise that if they can only construct slogans not arguments after three years then they don’t have a good argument but clearly not. They will now have to live with the consequences and the subsequent failure of all populist and nationalist regimes that face the reality of globalisation. 

it will not be the end of the world but they will have cost the UK more time and money than petty criminals who like them have low morals and are liars cheats and frauds only the Brexiteers with their relatively comfortable privileged lives have less excuses for their moral turpitude.

There could at least be the poor comfort of Schadenfreude but they will no doubt blames others for their decision and costing householdsGBP 1000 a year and risking half a million jobs will not be enough for them to see the error of their ways. Their children will not thank them but everything is a cycle and Brexit will inevitably be the last gasp of a dying generation which will bring nothing least of all for those who voted for it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

TODAY'S THE DAY.  As a so-called Leaver, I have no problem with those that held strong Remain views - we are all allowed our own differing opinions. However, I increasingly object to the un-necessary mud slinging and name calling that now seems the norm on this forum. Leave opinion has democratically won the day and the UK will now leave the EU tonight.

No it won't, y'idiot.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Well that certainly sums up the fact based, reasoned analytic approach we've come to expect from leavers    😂🤣😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The brothels of Brussels are having to tighten their belts at the prospect of not getting all that British taxpayer's income that's for sure.

Rue de Brabant will become a ghost town. Good Guinness in champagne glasses though.

Nod, nod, wink, wink. 

15 hours ago, Jools said:

On the subject of the Single Market, I present to you a 'Facts4EU.org' one-page factsheet:

https://facts4eu.org/static/media/factsheet_5_single_market_v07.pdf

The information in the above pdf file comes from the EU Commission and the ONS, and as such is incontrovertible 😎

THE SINGLE MARKET DOESN’T WORK FOR THE UK .

Well we shall find out now, won't we @Jools?

This follows the well worn path of taking a bunch of facts, not understanding them and then using them to come with a conclusion that is total piffle (but quite persuasive to the gullible & stupid).

Just one example, it claims avergae GDP growth has fallen from 2.4% to 2.2% since the SM market came into operation. Now do you want to bet that UK growth will be higher than that in 2021 after we leave on the 31/1/2020 (or today if you are @SwindonCanary)? Or in 2022, or any time soon

Not a snowballs chance in hell

15 hours ago, Jools said:

Oh, and 85% of goods sales to EU come from countries with no deal:

Latest EU report shows majority of non-EU world trades with EU without any ‘deal’

200_countries.jpg

A quick Brexit Facts4EU.Org summary of what we can look forward to next year

The news in 2020 will be dominated by UK trade talks with the EU, once the “Withdrawal Agreement” becomes an international treaty on 01 February 2020.

Despite the UK having voted to leave the European Union in June 2016, the EU Commission will not be ready to discuss ongoing trade until March next year. That’s three years and nine months of the EU refusing to start engaging in trade talks with the United Kingdom – its second-largest goods export market.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org Summary

Here is a quick trade perspective at Christmas, to remember in 2020

• 72% of goods sales into the EU come from countries with no EU trade deal
  • This becomes 85% after excluding Norway, Switzerland, and Turkey
  • (These countries have close ties to the EU - Customs Union and/or Single Market)

The above are summary figures researched from the EU’s 2019 report on the implementation of EU free trade agreements.

Furthermore, the UK is the EU27’s 2nd-largest market for goods

Observations

We suspect that no-one wants to read a detailed report on trade figures at Christmas. Regular readers will know that we have published many detailed and well-researched pieces on this subject this year.

Nevertheless, we thought a quick summary might be digestible. 85% of sales into the EU come from countries without either a trade deal or Single Market and Customs Union membership. This is according to the EU Commission in its trade report published in October.

When the EU is finally ready to discuss trade with the UK in March next year (2020), we sincerely hope that UK negotiators will walk into the room with the right attitude.

[ Sources: EU Commission Trade Directorate | Eurostat - official EU statistics agency ] Politicians and journalists can contact us for details, as ever.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org, 27 Dec 2019

@Jools the gift that keeps on givining. This one ignores the fact the UK remains in the SM and CU until 31st December 2020. Then when frictionless trade ends will trade to up or down, will we be richer of poorer. Strangly Brexit Facts4EU.Org are very quiet on that. Could this be because trade will go down, we will be poorer and they don't want @Jools to know it?  

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

TODAY'S THE DAY you finally get your brain transplant? 🤔🤣

Apples

1 hour ago, T said:

Oxymoron. I’ve requested numerous times for a logical practical evidence based justification for Brexit and all I get from brexiteers is Inane idealology racism islamophobic and nationalism. You would have thought they would realise that if they can only construct slogans not arguments after three years then they don’t have a good argument but clearly not. They will now have to live with the consequences and the subsequent failure of all populist and nationalist regimes that face the reality of globalisation. 

it will not be the end of the world but they will have cost the UK more time and money than petty criminals who like them have low morals and are liars cheats and frauds only the Brexiteers with their relatively comfortable privileged lives have less excuses for their moral turpitude.

There could at least be the poor comfort of Schadenfreude but they will no doubt blames others for their decision and costing householdsGBP 1000 a year and risking half a million jobs will not be enough for them to see the error of their ways. Their children will not thank them but everything is a cycle and Brexit will inevitably be the last gasp of a dying generation which will bring nothing least of all for those who voted for it. 

Well at least the UK won't be paying for those EU wars that Verhofstadt is gagging for like some drunken, latter-day Hitler. In every other triumphantalist tweet he celebrates that the US refuses to engage in military expeditions around the world, leaving an opportunity for his EU army expansion plans. 

Now I warned you Remainer idiots that the EU would radically seek to transform, during the referendum debate but you all had your head in the sands and didn't realise what you were voting for. 

Now it's clear that EU military expansionism is top priority for the Great Unelected. Thank God that sensible minded leavers saw through this EU nonsense. We dodged a bullet, for sure

21 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Well at least the UK won't be paying for those EU wars that Verhofstadt is gagging for like some drunken, latter-day Hitler. In every other triumphantalist tweet he celebrates that the US refuses to engage in military expeditions around the world, leaving an opportunity for his EU army expansion plans. 

Now I warned you Remainer idiots that the EU would radically seek to transform, during the referendum debate but you all had your head in the sands and didn't realise what you were voting for. 

Now it's clear that EU military expansionism is top priority for the Great Unelected. Thank God that sensible minded leavers saw through this EU nonsense. We dodged a bullet, for sure

You're not real are you RTB??

You're just a right wing nonsense spewing BOT.

I hereby rename you Rock The Bot.  

• Like 2

Low-paid workers to get 6.2% rise with plans to lift living wage

Government to deliver ‘biggest cash increase ever’ in bid to shore up working class support

Good to see👍

8 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

So,   EU army.   What are your views?  

Where would this leave NATO?

Since Trump became President, the US is not a reliable ally anymore. High time for a European Army to take matters in our own hands.

The good news just keeps on coming as we take responsibility for our future, free of EU interference, and free to spend our own money at home.  Farmers are to get 2.9 Billion a year from 2020, and this is yet more proof that the EU is a superfluous parasite and that leaving the EU was the right decision.

https://talkradio.co.uk/news/sajid-javid-confirms-ps3bn-help-farmers-thrive-after-brexit-19123032812

We're not reliable anymore. The US is not reliable. It is up to the EU what would benefit it the most. NATO has been a good organisation for safety amongst the western allies but while Putin has his stooges in power it's looking in trouble.

1 minute ago, Barbe bleu said:

So,   EU army.   What are your views?  

Where would this leave NATO?

Twofold; EU army - there isn't going to be one. It is abundantly clear to everyone that Europe has to take more control of and responsibility for its own defence, relying on NATO is no longer a feasible option for the long term. Significantly Macron, Merkel and Trump (amongst others) have all effectively said this, albeit in their own particular ways. So what will gradually and slowly emerge is a European defence force not unlike the way NATO is organised and structured, i.e. individual European countries contributing and rotating elements of their own armed forces (funded through their own defence budgets) to the European force.

This will happen pretty independently of NATO which is already falling apart and becoming ineffectual. It may be that the Europeans switching their main commitment away from NATO will hasten its break up but if so it will simply be speeding up something that has already started and looks pretty irreversible. I suppose it's possible that NATO will find a somewhat different role which isn't based almost entirely on the defence of Europe but not sure what that would be, and unless there is a very significant change of direction from the US then I can't see anyone other than a very needy post-Brexit UK that would be interested.

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

the internet is a minefield of cráp...then there are posts like this which raise the bar to a whole new level 😞

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paul moy said:

The good news just keeps on coming as we take responsibility for our future, free of EU interference, and free to spend our own money at home.  Farmers are to get 2.9 Billion a year from 2020, and this is yet more proof that the EU is a superfluous parasite and that leaving the EU was the right decision.

https://talkradio.co.uk/news/sajid-javid-confirms-ps3bn-help-farmers-thrive-after-brexit-19123032812

That money is simply for now replacing what farmers got from the EU. What the NFU, understandably, is worried about is the future:

"To ensure a positive outlook for UK farming after we leave the EU the government will need to couple this financial guarantee of support for our industry with a clear-cut commitment that domestic producers will not be unfairly undermined by imports from overseas produced to standards that would be illegal here. We are still waiting for the introduction of a council on trade and standards that can advise ministers on our future trade policy and scrutinise the forthcoming negotiations to ensure our high farming standards are not undermined by substandard imports.''

19 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Got to love @paul moy, been rambling on for years saying how much leaving the EU would save, now lauding a £2.9 billion increase in costs caused by leaving. Of course he will say we are spending our own money, but if we have to spend it, it's not a saving.

Will this money still be going to Paul Dacre, The Queen, Lord Salisbury, James Dyson and all the non-elites that brexit freed us from??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will any EU army include 70 million Turkish people, all wielding straight bananas, energy efficient vacuum cleaners and lightbulbs...it could be a match for any foe? 🤔🤭🤣

Apples

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That money is simply for now replacing what farmers got from the EU. What the NFU, understandably, is worried about is the future:

"To ensure a positive outlook for UK farming after we leave the EU the government will need to couple this financial guarantee of support for our industry with a clear-cut commitment that domestic producers will not be unfairly undermined by imports from overseas produced to standards that would be illegal here. We are still waiting for the introduction of a council on trade and standards that can advise ministers on our future trade policy and scrutinise the forthcoming negotiations to ensure our high farming standards are not undermined by substandard imports.''

More to the point - it immediately undercuts any US trade deal on agriculture. The (USA) won't stand for subsidies.

It does however make more sense if we 'stay close' to the EU though !

What it really shows is the fundamental chasm between the 'protectionist' Brexiters (and this 3Bn is protectionist - oh to be a cosseted farmer and not a steel worker) and the right wing 'global UK' - free trade Tory right.  Not sure its bridgeable.

Ha ha

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

More to the point - it immediately undercuts any US trade deal on agriculture. The (USA) won't stand for subsidies.

It does however make more sense if we 'stay close' to the EU though !

What it really shows is the fundamental chasm between the 'protectionist' Brexiters (and this 3Bn is protectionist - oh to be a cosseted farmer and not a steel worker) and the right wing 'global UK' - free trade Tory right.  Not sure its bridgeable.

Ha ha

There probably won't be any steel workers left.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50959465

Steel jobs go at failing steel plants in Scunthorpe, Crook and Alston

• Like 1