Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

16 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Mine was ammo. Very useful on here

Like I said I forgot most of my Latin a long time ago but I'm pretty sure that ammo is a noun not a verb.

So if you did learn any Latin I guess your first verb was actually amo, rather than ammo, as in amo, amas, amat - something very different and no use at all on here, especially on this thread.

So true: "amo" and "ammo" are almost direct opposites - except for those with a gun fetish.....

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Like I said I forgot most of my Latin a long time ago but I'm pretty sure that ammo is a noun not a verb.

So if you did learn any Latin I guess your first verb was actually amo, rather than ammo, as in amo, amas, amat - something very different and no use at all on here, especially on this thread.

The joke has gone right over your head.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

The joke has gone right over your head.

Hardly, it was so unfunny I thought I'd take it seriously - maybe you should try it occassionally instead of constantly posting rubbish  and then running away as soon as it gets challenged.

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Hardly, it was so unfunny I thought I'd take it seriously - maybe you should try it occassionally instead of constantly posting rubbish  and then running away as soon as it gets challenged.

The only people who have run away are you Remoaner Lefties who got chewed up and spat out at the General Election. Most have disappeared from this thread. Losers!

• Haha 1

A special Christmas message from the Pope. I'm not sure who he is aiming it at, but wise words nonetheless.😉😀

"Pope Francis has delivered midnight Mass by saying the celebration of Jesus’s birth reminded humanity how “God continues to love us all, even the worst of us”.

The pontiff told crowds gathered at the Vatican on Christmas Eve: “You may have mistaken ideas, you may have made a complete mess of things, but the Lord continues to love you.”"

Happy Christmas to all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

The only people who have run away are you Remoaner Lefties who got chewed up and spat out at the General Election. Most have disappeared from this thread. Losers!

Merry Christmas! After watching A Christmas Carol, there’s still hope for bitter and twisted nut jobs like you 😀 🎅🏼 🎄 🍺 

Merry Christmas, Brexiteers! 🍺 Merry Christmas, Bozza! 🍺  Merry Christmas, the Donald! 🍺

I hope you Lefty Remainiacs choke on your soy eggnog 🙃

20 hours ago, Jools said:

Merry Christmas, Brexiteers! 🍺 Merry Christmas, Bozza! 🍺  Merry Christmas, the Donald! 🍺

I hope you Lefty Remainiacs choke on your soy eggnog 🙃

It’s only the 2nd day of Christmas, still 10 more to go before we can “go back at it” chaps.... so be a good chap and keep the truce going eh? 

Edited by Surfer

23 hours ago, Herman said:

A special Christmas message from the Pope. I'm not sure who he is aiming it at, but wise words nonetheless.😉😀

"Pope Francis has delivered midnight Mass by saying the celebration of Jesus’s birth reminded humanity how “God continues to love us all, even the worst of us”.

The pontiff told crowds gathered at the Vatican on Christmas Eve: “You may have mistaken ideas, you may have made a complete mess of things, but the Lord continues to love you.”"

Happy Christmas to all.

I don't think quoting the pope to a bunch of leftie atheists is going to achieve anything. 

50 minutes ago, Herman said:

I don't think it was aimed at the "leftie atheists", whoever they are.😀

I think you may owe him an apology, it looks like he's finally got something correct! 🤣

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/21/atheists-likely-left-handed-study-finds/

Atheists are more likely to be left handed, study finds

• Haha 2

Times 

"India is on track to overtake Germany as the world’s fourth-largest economy by 2026, dumping all leading European economies out of the top flight as Asia continues its remarkable rise.

The forecast from the Centre for Economic and Business Research in its World Economic League table 2020 underscores the change in the world’s power dynamics this millennium.

In 2004 Germany, Britain and France were the third, fourth and fifth largest economies respectively after the United States and Japan. Since then, China has raced into second place behind the US and India has overtaken Britain and France.

By 2026 the US will be the lone western power holding back a resurgent Asia as it reasserts its past dominance, the centre predicts. Until the industrial revolution in the early 1800s, India and China had been the world’s biggest economies for almost two millennia.

The centre’s league table, which has been running for 11 years, tracks the size of economies worldwide and projects changes over the next 15 years. It used the International Monetary Fund’s 2019 data to build its projection. China will not overtake the US to be the world’s largest economy until 2033, three years later than previously forecast, the centre said.

The US strengthened its grip on the top spot this year, accounting for 24.8 per cent of world GDP, its largest share since 2007. Chinese growth will slow “as a result of demographics and greater concentration on quality of life”.

Despite Europe’s decline and the distractions of Brexit, the UK held up better than expected and is forecast to show France a clean pair of heels in the coming decade. The British and French economies are almost the same size and have jostled for the fifth spot in recent years but, in spite of Brexit, “the French economy failed to overtake the UK economy in the 2016-19 period”.

“We now expect that by 2034 the UK economy will be a quarter larger than the French economy,” the centre said. Germany will still be Europe’s biggest economy, at fifth in the league table and one place ahead of Britain.

Overall, the league table showed the world economy’s centre of gravity moving east “as these countries cash in on their demographic dividends”. The Philippines and Bangladesh will be the fastest-rising economies in the region, both climbing into the top 25."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/25/northern-rail-split-ministers-lay-ground-nationalisation/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Northern Rail could be split up as ministers lay ground for nationalisation

Only took a few days for the current Government to steal Labours manifesto commitments.

Looking forward to free broadband announcement. 😀

32 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/25/northern-rail-split-ministers-lay-ground-nationalisation/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Northern Rail could be split up as ministers lay ground for nationalisation

Only took a few days for the current Government to steal Labours manifesto commitments.

It must be so annoying 🤣 ( could you post the whole article 😉 )

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Times 

"India is on track to overtake Germany as the world’s fourth-largest economy by 2026, dumping all leading European economies out of the top flight as Asia continues its remarkable rise.

The forecast from the Centre for Economic and Business Research in its World Economic League table 2020 underscores the change in the world’s power dynamics this millennium.

In 2004 Germany, Britain and France were the third, fourth and fifth largest economies respectively after the United States and Japan. Since then, China has raced into second place behind the US and India has overtaken Britain and France.

By 2026 the US will be the lone western power holding back a resurgent Asia as it reasserts its past dominance, the centre predicts. Until the industrial revolution in the early 1800s, India and China had been the world’s biggest economies for almost two millennia.

The centre’s league table, which has been running for 11 years, tracks the size of economies worldwide and projects changes over the next 15 years. It used the International Monetary Fund’s 2019 data to build its projection. China will not overtake the US to be the world’s largest economy until 2033, three years later than previously forecast, the centre said.

The US strengthened its grip on the top spot this year, accounting for 24.8 per cent of world GDP, its largest share since 2007. Chinese growth will slow “as a result of demographics and greater concentration on quality of life”.

Despite Europe’s decline and the distractions of Brexit, the UK held up better than expected and is forecast to show France a clean pair of heels in the coming decade. The British and French economies are almost the same size and have jostled for the fifth spot in recent years but, in spite of Brexit, “the French economy failed to overtake the UK economy in the 2016-19 period”.

“We now expect that by 2034 the UK economy will be a quarter larger than the French economy,” the centre said. Germany will still be Europe’s biggest economy, at fifth in the league table and one place ahead of Britain.

Overall, the league table showed the world economy’s centre of gravity moving east “as these countries cash in on their demographic dividends”. The Philippines and Bangladesh will be the fastest-rising economies in the region, both climbing into the top 25."

I'm always amused by these sort of comments.

It is is undoubtedly true that if we wish to be leading in the GDP race we need to move to Asian (say Chinese) or as a minimum US employment standards. 2 weeks paid leave, bare minimum health/poverty safety net, save for your own pension and health insurance/drugs and say a 7 to 10 day notice hire/fire notice period (redundancy pay - what is that?) . It will really get the economy going and I'm sure it is what most of employed Brexiters wanted :classic_blink:.  I'm very sure it is also what most of the right wing Tories want! Perhaps to be fair to all we need to drop most of the existing pensioners as well into the same boat. Expect as per USA most TV adverts to be telling you what drugs to ask your (private) doctor to prescribe (and for you pay - claim - if your insurance allows).

As an employer - bring it on! My position has always been better to stay in the EU with our current 'local' levels of protectionism and EU markets and out-look or sink and swim in the big wide world and see if you can compete 1 on 1 with India and China let alone the US. Tough for most who have been far too cosseted for too long! Never going to happen unless we now change our employment and benefits structures to match.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Times 

Very silly. Because Brexit hasn't happened yet. There have already been companies pulling out of the UK (hi there, Swindon) and the inward investment figures have already taken a hit, but by definition there will be a time lag before even those decisions hit the economy in a significant way.

And for the moment the UK is in the single market and still benefitting from that and from those 60-odd trade deals the EU has negotiated around the world.

Quite absurd to predict how the UK economy will be doing in 2034 unless one knows, and this thinktank certainly has no more idea than I do, and possibly less, what the UK's post-Brexit trade deals, if any, with the EU, with those 60-odd countries, and with the likes of the US will be.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Very silly. Because Brexit hasn't happened yet. There have already been companies pulling out of the UK (hi there, Swindon) and the inward investment figures have already taken a hit, but by definition there will be a time lag before even those decisions hit the economy in a significant way.

And for the moment the UK is in the single market and still benefitting from that and from those 60-odd trade deals the EU has negotiated around the world.

Quite absurd to predict how the UK economy will be doing in 2034 unless one knows, and this thinktank certainly has no more idea than I do, and possibly less, what the UK's post-Brexit trade deals, if any, with the EU, with those 60-odd countries, and with the likes of the US will be.

Only predictions of doom are worthy😀

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

It might help if I provide you with some updated facts about trade  👇

Goods trade gap with EU27 widens by billions – latest official figures

The EU27 sold £269bn of goods to the UK in the 12 months to October

trade2a.jpg

EU27 earned £98 billion on this goods trade with the UK in just 12 months

Last week, while all eyes were focused on the General Election, the Office for National Statistics released its latest trade figures, for the three months to the end of October 2019.

The latest report shows how the EU is continuing to make billions from the UK each month, as a result of the UK’s continued membership of the EU’s Customs Union.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org Summary

The latest goods trade picture with the EU

• UK bought £269bn of goods from EU27 in 12 months to October
  • UK sold £171bn of goods to the EU27 in the same period
  • The EU27 earned £98 billion on this goods trade in just 12 months
  • The EU27 accounted for (47.8%) of global UK exports
  • Nevertheless it accounted for a massive 63.2% of the UK’s total goods trade deficit

eu_uk_goods_trade_to_oct_2019_171219.jpg

© Brexit Facts4EU.Org - click to enlarge

The goods trade gap with the EU27 is widening

The Office for National Statistics reports that the goods trade deficit with the EU widened in the last three months by £3.5 billion to £25.0 billion in the last three months alone.

Observations

Following the news last night that the Prime Minister intends to drop the clause in his Withdrawal Bill which allows for an extension to the Transition Period beyond 31 Dec 2020, many people will be relieved this morning. The Brexit Facts4EU.Org certainly welcomes this development.

That said, and based on our work in the last four years, we prefer to wait and see what actually happens. The revised Bill is likely to be presented to Parliament on Friday and we will of course be scrutinising this.

Whilst we are on the subject of positives, it is encouraging that the ONS has been reporting on EU versus non-EU trade for some time. When we started, this was rarely the case. We always had to delve into complex spreadsheets to analyse the UK’s trade with the rest of the EU.

The EU trade picture

Overnight we still used the official raw data for our analysis, as this is the only way to assess the trends likely to be of interest to our readership.

As ever we must draw readers’ attention to the fact that the ONS’ figures on goods trade continue to take no account of what is known as “the Rotterdam Effect”. This refers to the enormous number of goods exported from the UK to Dutch and Belgian ports, for onward transshipment worldwide. The value of these goods are are currently still shown within the figures for exports to the EU, whereas in fact they should be shown as exports to the rest of the World.

When we last looked at this in detail, HMRC was estimating that around 2% of total exports were being wrongly classified due to this “Rotterdam Effect”. We then spent days researching shipping records from the ports concerned, and concluded that the effects were greater and that 2% was an absolute minimum figure to use.

Based on the conservative figure though, in the three months to end-October 2019 just 44% of UK exports went to the EU27 countries.

Readers may wish to remember the following key facts when confronted by Remainers still making claims about the EU’s Customs Union and Single Market. These can be used with confidence.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org Summary

• The EU27 are currently earning at the rate of £100 billion per year from their goods trade with the UK
  • (That’s the value of their sales to the UK minus the UK’s sales to them, pro-rata'd from last 3 mths.)
  • 56% of all UK goods exports do NOT go to our nearest neighbours (the EU) but to the rest of the World
  • Our biggest customer by far is the USA, which buys 44% more goods from the UK than Germany does

[ Sources: Office for National Statistics | HMRC ] Politicians and journalists can contact us for details, as ever.

Brexit Facts4EU.Org, 26 Dec 2019

One more Christmas, then we're free

Brexit, the Boris Bounce, Brussels, and some reasons to be cheerful

uk_flag.jpg

Boxing Day Brexit reflections, from the Brexit Facts4EU.Org team

As we all continue to celebrate another Christmas with our families, it seems astonishing to realise that this is the fourth yuletide since the majority of the British electorate voted to leave the European Union.

It is even more extraordinary to think that there is still one more Christmas to go, before the country finally makes its exit from under the yoke of the EU’s ideological and sclerotic regime on 31 December 2020.

The Boris Bounce is welcome but it will have reverberations

Since Boris Johnson’s election as party leader, and then his sweeping victory in the general election exactly two weeks ago, a mood of optimism has arisen amongst the pro-Brexit public.

In five weeks’ time, at 11pm on 31 January 2020, the United Kingdom will no longer be a member of the European Union – technically-speaking. For the ensuing 11 months the UK will be a colony of the EU, unable to vote upon or veto new EU laws and regulations. The British peope will continue to subsidise the bloc with its massive annual contribution of course, but there will be no representation for this taxation.

A national disgrace

The governance and sovereignty of the United Kingdom will be subject to the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) which, once passed into UK law, signed by the Prime Minister, and approved by the EU Parliament and EU Council, will have the force of an international treaty.

We fully understand why pro-Brexit MPs and commentators are putting a positive spin on the WA. Nevertheless the fact remains that this Treaty is a disgrace. Drafted by the EU with the collusion of Mrs May’s Remainer civil servants, it will forever represent a shameful episode in the country’s history.

Meanwhile, in Brussels…

It is perhaps fortunate that the EU has so many problems to deal with next year. It also has new priorities – none of which were voted on by the EU’s 512 million people of course. The number one topic in Brussels these days is EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen’s “European Green Deal”.

This ‘climate change’ policy is dominating everything and it’s surprising that this has been given scant attention in the British media. As with all matters EU this new policy has already run into trouble. The only way in which the EU Council reached any kind of consensus on this, earlier this month, was by excluding Poland at the last minute.

Poland relies on coal-fired power stations for around 80% of its electricity and heating. As recently as September it decided to open a major new coal mine at Jastrzebie Zdroj. The slow conversion of the Polish economy to non-fossil based fuels will take decades and cost tens of billions of Euros. Consequently the EU has effectively already broken its famous “solidarity” and “unity” by allowing Poland to ignore the new laws which will be passed.

Finally, reasons to be cheerful this Christmas

We may be facing another year of domination and subjugation by the EU, but there is finally an end in sight. This is the penultimate Christmas before the United Kingdom finally breaks all the EU’s shackles and starts to become a fully independent and sovereign country once again.

At last we have a Prime Minister and Cabinet who have committed themselves to leaving the EU. At the ballot box two weeks ago we got rid of some of the worst elements in the House of Commons - those who trampled all over our democratic traditions. Gone from the Palace of Westminster are the Grieves, Gaukes, Soubrys, Umunnas and their like.

The “People’s Vote” organisation lies in tatters. No-one is talking of a ‘second referendum’ any more. There are still challenges ahead, but we might just finally be on our way out of the European Union.

And with that thought, members of the Brexit Facts4EU.Org team will raise their glasses this Boxing Day to all the Brexit Warriors amongst our readership. Here’s to one final year of scrutiny and campaigning to ensure that it all happens. Then we can go back to our normal lives again.

“To your very good health, Brexiteers!”  👍🍻🥂

Brexit Facts4EU.Org, Boxing Day, 26 Dec 2019

21 minutes ago, Jools said:

It might help if I provide you with some updated facts about trade  👇

I have no idea what your supposed point is. But then you rarely have any idea what your own point is when it comes to trade and economics.

My trade in goods with the local supermarket continues to be in deficit. My trade in currency with my employer however is in surplus I am pleased to report. Mrs Surfer suggests our money out and goods in are approximately in balance each month. So all is good it seems. 

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I have no idea what your supposed point is. But then you rarely have any idea what your own point is when it comes to trade and economics.

I'm not sure what his copied bilge wants to state but what I can gather from it is that we buy more goods from the EU because we don't produce the goods we need, and we sell more to the US because they don't produce the goods they need.

(Musn't forget the constant whine from Brexiters was that we had to leave the EU to be able to trade with other countries, although we do trade a lot with other countries. No consistent thinking right from the start. Is it deliberate or don't they know what they are on about?)

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1