Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, Jools said:

So minus the 15,000 UEA votes, Lewis would've garnered around 12,000 votes leaving Spencer with 15,000 votes a victory by 3,000...

The Conservatives really need to finally do something to counter the Lefty indoctrination in education 🤔

Say 10000 could of voted in Norwich North. Would that help ?

It's a daft argument and not all students vote left anyway.

PR would resolve all these issues.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Water, electricity and gas. All essential services. Not government funded. Why should broadband be different?

In my opinion broadband is becoming as essential as the other services and I would like to see all those services  funded so that the costs to the consumer are affordable 

4 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

In my opinion broadband is becoming as essential as the other services and I would like to see all those services  funded so that the costs to the consumer are affordable 

You can get broadband and line rental for £20 a month, doesn’t sound like it’s non-affordable at present.

• Like 1

"The gammon are still angry. No matter what they get you can not purge their saltiness."

Here's some suggestions for possible gammon happiness from the Daily Mash...😂

Six Christmas gifts for the gammon in your life

WONDERING what to get that relative who’s a permanently angry fanatical Brexiter? Look no further – here’s the perfect selection: 

Tickets to Question Time

The equivalent of taking a theatre buff to see Mark Rylance in Richard III. Try to attend one in a solid Leave area like Lincolnshire with a big name like Francois or Farage and a hate figure like Anna Soubry they can have a good boo at.

A Jacob Rees-Mogg playset

It takes little effort to combine a farm and mansion playset into a replica of Rees-Mogg’s Gloucestershire mansion. Then make Jacob and his chums by adapting charity shop action figures, adding a tiny, ill-fitting double-breasted suit for him and a drawn-on scowl for Annunziata.

Anger management classes

Being furious is part of the fun of Brexit so they won’t thank you for this, but their heart will. Think of it as buying a Fitbit for a seriously obese friend.

A romantic weekend at Bovington Tank Festival

If, God help you, you’re romantically involved with a gammon, what could be a nicer gift than spending quality time together reliving World War Two? The photo of them poking proudly out of a Challenger turret will be their Facebook profile pic for years to come.

A Richard Littlejohn book

Everyone gets a ‘funny’ book for Christmas, and leading gammon Littlejohn has turned out tons of interchangable volumes about politically correct Britain. And due to being unreadable they’re great value for money, with copies available on Amazon for as little as £0.01.

Brexit

You can’t really get them Brexit for Christmas, obviously, because the Brexit they want is impossible and not real, but gifts like pro-Brexit mugs are freely available. If they want the real thing they’ll have to wait until Christmas 2025, or much later.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Say 10000 could of voted in Norwich North. Would that help ?

It's a daft argument and not all students vote left anyway.

PR would resolve all these issues.

So it's just a coincidence that most university towns and cities vote and voted Labour then? 🙃

12 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

You can get broadband and line rental for £20 a month, doesn’t sound like it’s non-affordable at present.

£20 not bad at all. Is that available everywhere? My last contract was about £50 total, including the BT line rental 

9 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

"The gammon are still angry. No matter what they get you can not purge their saltiness."

Here's some suggestions for possible gammon happiness from the Daily Mash...😂

Six Christmas gifts for the gammon in your life

WONDERING what to get that relative who’s a permanently angry fanatical Brexiter? Look no further – here’s the perfect selection: 

Tickets to Question Time

The equivalent of taking a theatre buff to see Mark Rylance in Richard III. Try to attend one in a solid Leave area like Lincolnshire with a big name like Francois or Farage and a hate figure like Anna Soubry they can have a good boo at.

A Jacob Rees-Mogg playset

It takes little effort to combine a farm and mansion playset into a replica of Rees-Mogg’s Gloucestershire mansion. Then make Jacob and his chums by adapting charity shop action figures, adding a tiny, ill-fitting double-breasted suit for him and a drawn-on scowl for Annunziata.

Anger management classes

Being furious is part of the fun of Brexit so they won’t thank you for this, but their heart will. Think of it as buying a Fitbit for a seriously obese friend.

A romantic weekend at Bovington Tank Festival

If, God help you, you’re romantically involved with a gammon, what could be a nicer gift than spending quality time together reliving World War Two? The photo of them poking proudly out of a Challenger turret will be their Facebook profile pic for years to come.

A Richard Littlejohn book

Everyone gets a ‘funny’ book for Christmas, and leading gammon Littlejohn has turned out tons of interchangable volumes about politically correct Britain. And due to being unreadable they’re great value for money, with copies available on Amazon for as little as £0.01.

Brexit

You can’t really get them Brexit for Christmas, obviously, because the Brexit they want is impossible and not real, but gifts like pro-Brexit mugs are freely available. If they want the real thing they’ll have to wait until Christmas 2025, or much later.

Your horse is dead.

It is pointless to flog it 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

That very much depends on where you live, as does the speed - UK broadband is slow...slow.....slow.

Whilst I wasn't especially keen on Labour's broadband idea I can see why they did it, the free (which of course it isn't) part is a bit of a gimmick but what is important (to businesses even more than individuals) is to quickly roll out really quick broadband to the entire country. As with other former public utilities which have been privatised, trying to bring the infrastructure up to date via the private sector has been very slow, hughly costly and resulted in very fragmented coverage rather than a fit for purpose, integrated, resilient  and reasonably priced national network.

I wonder if the British are ever going to get over the arrogant belief that we know best in everything. Yes, there are a few things we still do well though they are ever dwindling, but there are so many things, broadband being the topical example, that you don't need to look far at all to see other countries doing it a lot better, and often, though not always, via the public rather than the private sector.

1 minute ago, Mr Apples said:

But you didn't disagree with me on the state of your unicorn? 🤔😂

Apples

Do you contribute in some way to the 'Daily Mash'? You certainly post enough of their cr@p...

They didn't do much to dissuade people from voting for Conservatives and Populism did they 😀

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The gammon are still angry. No matter what they get you can not purge their saltiness. 😀

Canned laughter...  😎

On 12/11/2019 at 06:29, Herman said:

The Conservatives have nothing really. They can promise some nonsensical economics but while they still have a destructive Brexit in their sights it will all come to nought. Vote tactically and GTTO. 

🤣☝️

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

£20 not bad at all. Is that available everywhere? My last contract was about £50 total, including the BT line rental 

So we've established that broadband is not essential in the same way that water, electricity and gas are essential but you've personally been over-paying for your broadband and so you want the government to fix it for you.

Is your mum still doing your laundry?

• Haha 2

On 12/12/2019 at 21:34, Yellow Fever said:

Is it going to be a Johnson "Who runs the country" moment with a riposte of "Not you"? I have my suspicions.

🤣

On 12/12/2019 at 08:21, Bagster said:

Today , you will witness history, the red wall will fall and Boris will get a 58 seat majority.

This labour party is not fit to govern and you lot know it.

Free nationalised broadband, sounds like b...y China FFS !!!

Anti semetic to its core!

Free stuff for everyone and the rich will pay!!!

Diane Abbott would be home secretary!!! 

Jim MacDonald would be chancellor!!!!

And Jeremy Corbyn would be momentum's puppet leader!!!

NOT ON MY WATCH 😉

:classic_biggrin:

"Do you contribute in some way to the 'Daily Mash'? You certainly post enough of their cr@p...

They didn't do much to dissuade people from voting for Conservatives and Populism did they"

You still haven't answered the unicorn question...🤔🤣

Apples

On 29/10/2019 at 15:16, Bill said:

not guilty as that is something that I have spoke about numerous times

there will definitely be an effect of this, as with 2017 and 1997 GEs

and there has been a huge registering of voters over the past 8 weeks - 250,000 a week is the figure

what the polls ovrlook again is how likely are voters to vore - not who they would vote for

that's what confused some of the senile into predicting a 70-100 Tory majoroty in 2017

to🤣o much voring for Bill

• Haha 2

On 12/11/2019 at 21:25, Bill said:

I think there is already quite a number of these agreements already in place

however the Libdems know they can, and will, make huge inroads into Tory voting so cannot be seen to have any association with Corbyn....hence the 'boo hiss, he's the devil' stance being taken

likewise Corbyn knows that if the Libdems are seen as 'acceptable' then it's ok for pro Remain Lab voters to switch to the Libdems

so as stated I think we will see differing tactics used in different areas, which rather negates using UK wide polls as any accurate projection of how the election will add up

ps hand crank, RTB and Jools have all disappeared at the same time - perhaps they have left Disco Dale on duty as before 😏

🤣

• Haha 1

I have come late into this thread, thought i would read the posts, or most of them, since Thursday's election. Seems to be a fair number of posts raising the question of PR again, just because only 45% of voters voted for the Tories. Yet also a fair few seem to think Scotland are definitely on the way out of the UK....despite, albeit a significant landslide that parallels the Tory victory, the SNP gained 8 fewer seats than in 2015 and also 45% of Scottish voters voted for the SNP. So how would the map read if Scotland had PR based on voter percentage?

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Mine's £31.50 from John Lewis. That includes free landline calls anytime.

37 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

So we've established that broadband is not essential in the same way that water, electricity and gas are essential but you've personally been over-paying for your broadband and so you want the government to fix it for you.

No, we have established that broadband prices are not consistent (no way could I get it for £20, including line rental)

Yes, I would like the government to take action on this

No, my local dry cleaners does my washing for me 😃

23 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

I have come late into this thread, thought i would read the posts, or most of them, since Thursday's election. Seems to be a fair number of posts raising the question of PR again, just because only 45% of voters voted for the Tories. Yet also a fair few seem to think Scotland are definitely on the way out of the UK....despite, albeit a significant landslide that parallels the Tory victory, the SNP gained 8 fewer seats than in 2015 and also 45% of Scottish voters voted for the SNP. So how would the map read if Scotland had PR based on voter percentage?

The Tories only managed 43.6% of the votes but anyway I don't think it's any surprise that PR is being talked about - I think quite a lot of people see a fundamental problem with an electoral system which gives a party 56% of the seats on 43% of the vote.

And of course that operates in reverse as well, I think is purely a co-incidence that in this particular election one party (Labour) did actually get a close relarionship between votes and seats - normally they are skewed for every party. But even so if you look at the results this time the unfairness is blindingly obvious:

Votes %                Seats %

Tories                     43.6                        56.2

Labour                   32.1                         31.1

Lib Dem                 11.6                           1.7

Greens                    2.7                             0.2

Brexit Co                 2.0                              0

Same effect in Scotland and N.Ireland - the DUP got just over a quarter of the votes of the Greens but 8 times the number of seats - how can that be right in a supposedly 'democratic' country?

Edited by Creative Midfielder

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

28 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

No, we have established that broadband prices are not consistent (no way could I get it for £20, including line rental)

Yes, I would like the government to take action on this

No, my local dry cleaners does my washing for me 😃

Not long for the government to make good on this

🤨

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Did he have to sit on the floor ?   =NO !

Do you have to be this stupid ? =NO !

What's stupid about that comment, maybe it's 'kettle calling the pot black'