Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

44 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I'm now off to exercise my franchise in a small private booth.😀

They've postponed it because of the weather. Go tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kick it off said:

It's election day Ricardo, maybe leave the **** cinema for the weekend....

PS "The franchise" is a great nickname for your bits.

There was a certain thrill when I grasped my pencil.😀

• Haha 1

A fairly steady stream of voters at my polling station in Norwich South.

Edited by ricardo

1 hour ago, Badger said:

No - the Lib Dems and Scots Nats did because they thought it would serve their short-term political gain. 

I can understand it for the SNP - they may proclaim opposition to Brexit but it makes independence more likely imo. The Lib Dems - just truly astonishing that they would sacrifice what they proclaim to be the most important of principles for a few extra seats. 

It is ironic that it is the Lib Dems who were the matchmakers that made Brexit possible through supporting Cameron end up acting as the midwives of Brexit as well, by facilitating its birth. 

How tragic that a once great radical force in British politics has sunk so low. 😪

Actually the real blame lies with May. If she had not been such a coward and had gone for at least a semi-soft Brexit, staying in a CU, she would have got that through, her smallish majority notwithstanding,  and then could carried or stepped down, with an election at her or her successor's time of choosing.

And that successor may well not have been Boris Johnson - a man by all accounts she totally despises. Instead she in effect made him PM and he may be on the verge of getting more years in which to scr*w the country. When he isn't hiding in fridges.

21 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Actually I think if the Tories had been in power during the gloabl crisis things would have been different but not in the way that Tory accolyte @Bagster thinks.

People seem to forget that Gordon Brown had actually got a proper economic recovery underway (showing the US how to do it in fact and they followed his example very successfully) before the Tories took over in 2010 and killed that recovery stone dead for three years with their incompetent and economically illierate austerity policies. Even nine years and a half on they still are nowhere near eliminating the deficit which they promised would be done in 5 years and the 'recovery' they eventually managed four years late (based on a mini house price boom - staggering stupidity but apparently the only thing that Osbourne could come up with) was the weakest recovery since the 1930's. It has now petered out altogether without ever getting the economy even back to where it was in 2008.

With the Tories in charge when the global crisis hit our position now would be absolutely dire  - the recession would have been turned into a genuine depression in the UK and lasted for many years.

But as I said to Tory boy,  the British electorate have learnt nothing over the last ten years - in fact they're even less well informed than they used to be given the huge numbers of gullible idiots that swallow tripe and propaganda from the internet hook, line and sinker.

44 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Actually the real blame lies with May. If she had not been such a coward and had gone for at least a semi-soft Brexit, staying in a CU, she would have got that through, her smallish majority notwithstanding,  and then could carried or stepped down, with an election at her or her successor's time of choosing.

And that successor may well not have been Boris Johnson - a man by all accounts she totally despises. Instead she in effect made him PM and he may be on the verge of getting more years in which to scr*w the country. When he isn't hiding in fridges.

Oh purple I'm so pleased for you, another 5 years of safety sat in tax exile 😉

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm insulted to be called a Tory acolyte - what have I done to deserve this?

Nothing at all, I must have picked the wrong '@Ba' off the menu - my fault entirely, so many apologies.

@Bagster was at his time-wasting worst yesterday and I must have been trying to get rid of him too quickly. It didn't work anyway so in the end I blocked him which worked much better.

Thank heavens we've gained an edit function, that's a pretty bad mistake to make and you have every right to be insulted, I would be too if anyone had confused me with that muppet.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

Ooh that's salty!!!

Must of got upset because I called him out for being s..t at football!!

"Creative midfielder" is not something you call yourself, it's something other people call you and is meant as a compliment

Only a complete t w a t muffin would give himself such a name 😉

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

A fairly steady stream of voters at my polling station in Norwich North.

Always good to have a steady stream!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

I dont know why it came up Norwich North, i'm in Norwich South!

Sounds like election fraud, should have nipped over to Peterborough, they let anyone in over there.😉

• Haha 1

I would just like to say that I have missed Billy during his period of Purdah but I hope he will be back soon to swallow his medicine.

In the alternative if the guy is unwell, get well soon👍 

Edited by Van wink

11 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I would just like to say that I have missed Billy during his period of Purdah but I hope he will be back soon to swallow his medicine.

In the alternative if the guy is unwell, get well soon👍 

Probably out somewhere defacing Tory posters.

Reports of huge queues all over the place, even in safe seats. Surprised me somewhat as I had the feeling people were not overly enamored with either party (based on a sample of six people at my gym who weren't going to vote) 😉

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/12/longest-queues-ever-people-stand-line-around-block-vote-11771760/ 

Does this tell us anything? Historically a high turnout was always seen as an indicator that Labour was doing well but there was a high turnout for the referendum. 

Edited by Hairy Canary

I expect that @Jools will soon be posting a report from Guido to tell us that respected free speech campaigner Aaron Banks has lost the first stage of his libel action against Carole Cadwalladr?

Edited by BigFish
sp
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Reports of huge queues all over the place, even in safe seats. Surprised me somewhat as I had the feeling people were not overly enamored with either party 

Whatever the outcome a high voter participation level is good for our democracy and legitimacy of the government of the day. Thank you to all who participate in exercising their voting right. 

And remember “vote early and vote often!” 🙂 

• Like 2

You are just trying to be posh saying its South. You let the real constituency slip there. Big house on Newmarket Road or top of Heartsease Towers?

Just driven past where I would have voted if I didn't do postal and they have security on. Expecting the good people of Redruth/Camborne to be voting Labour so they aren't letting them in. Shoving them down a mine shaft

33 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Probably out somewhere defacing Tory posters.

Our poor Tory fella in Aylsham had his face punched out, made him look as if he had nothing between his ears!

Anyway my vote went to the Greens today, hopefully enough of my fellow Broadland voters will be supporting Mr Mayhew.

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are just trying to be posh saying its South. You let the real constituency slip there. Big house on Newmarket Road or top of Heartsease Towers?

Earlham Road mate.

Golden Triangle init😉🍹

Grant Shapps keeps getting thrown into Lord Salisbury's garden. Best place for him to be honest. 

Golden Triangle init

I've heard about this Golden Triangle. I remember the Golden Lion, Jason and the GoldenFleece  and some will remember the golden rivot but this Triangle sounds a bit suspicious. What is it? Drugs Cartel? Jewellery shops? 

7 hours ago, Bagster said:

I will point you to the indicative votes

Your lot were not interested in a good deal

Just remain

This is the result

And the Tory acolyte is aimed at me 🙂

I think that if the issue had been approached differently from the start that a "soft Brexit" deal might have been possible - which despite being a remainer, would have been my preference. 

At the end, I suspect that Johnson could have been forced to accept his deal with a confirmatory referendum to get it through - letting him off the hook, was just stupid at that stage.

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Largely agree with this analysis re May, Purple.

However, at the end, Boris was on the ropes and there would have been a majority for some sort of sensible deal/ confirmatory referendum if the LDs and SNP hadn't seen short-term political advantage in an election. 

Letting him off the hook was crazy - it just required patience.

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Golden Triangle init

I've heard about this Golden Triangle. I remember the Golden Lion, Jason and the GoldenFleece  and some will remember the golden rivot but this Triangle sounds a bit suspicious. What is it? Drugs Cartel? Jewellery shops? 

People there know how to pronounce QUINOA😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Instead of blaming everyone else have a look closer to home. Any opposition leader worth their salt would have buried the worst Conservative government a long time ago. 

Agree completely (although they are not really "my lot"). But Corbyn's incompetence was a well-known given by this stage. If the LDs had worked round it and been smart they could have secured a better deal/ second referendum, but they blew it for perceived political advantage (again).