Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, outdated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council – a Labour council – hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers .

I am telling you, no matter how entertaining, how fulfilling to short-term egos – you can't play politics with people's jobs and with people's services or with their homes

I can relate to this. Back in the 70s when I was a Labour activist in Norwich, Friday nights at the Labour club were spent haggling over convoluted resolutions as to whether we were going to put a motion to party conference for either increased benefits for single mums or an increase in the old age pension. The arguments would rage for hours on end, creating more heat than enlightenment, and ended up creating internal party factions. It was politics of the madhouse and Kinnock called it out perfectly. Like VW says, he cleared the path for Blair and Brown.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm old enough to remember when they were in public hands. They were run for the benefit of those who worked in them and not the customer.

Maybe, but now they are run for the shareholders.

Most of the shareholdings on the LSE are held by pension fund managers. So this argument that shareholders are a bad thing is a false narrative. Anyone with a workplace pension will have a direct interest in seeing profitable, thriving enterprises paying out shareholder dividends because that's where your pension money comes from.

As a pensioner you should be extremely concerned at Corbyn's proposals to appropriate shareholdings from companies as this will affect your pension payouts.

• Like 1

Just now, Rock The Boat said:

Even better than I thought. Was it 20,000 police?

No, it was minus 1000 police.

37 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It's what I've said before and if we are voting in the negative (as I am) to keep somebody 'out' then the Tories may have the most to fear.

We'll see on Friday! 

Then we can all get back to far more important issues supporting the Canaries ....

"Then we can all get back to far more important issues supporting the Canaries ...." 👍

18 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It looks like Laura Kuennsberg is in trouble, and it confirms that the BBC is bias !

It's daft that they're doing the counting of postal votes already. Should wait until at least tomorrow to avoid incidents like this.

17 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

It's daft that they're doing the counting of postal votes already. Should wait until at least tomorrow to avoid incidents like this.

I dont think they count them. They verify them and the Parties are allowed to watch. They just get a general idea of how things are panning out.

Good luck good people. Vote tactically, vote sensibly and hope enough Britons have seen through the ****. GTTO. 

• Haha 1

Today , you will witness history, the red wall will fall and Boris will get a 58 seat majority.

This labour party is not fit to govern and you lot know it.

Free nationalised broadband, sounds like b...y China FFS !!!

Anti semetic to its core!

Free stuff for everyone and the rich will pay!!!

Diane Abbott would be home secretary!!! 

Jim MacDonald would be chancellor!!!!

And Jeremy Corbyn would be momentum's puppet leader!!!

NOT ON MY WATCH 😉

On 07/12/2019 at 22:13, Herman said:

We've always known we can't win outright . The remain vote is split. The leave vote has congealed around the tories. So tactical it has been. 

So why force the election in the first place?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Actually I think if the Tories had been in power during the gloabl crisis things would have been different but not in the way that Tory accolyte @Badger thinks.

I'm insulted to be called a Tory acolyte - what have I done to deserve this?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Think it was Boris who did that wasn't it? You know because parliament blocked his Brexit deal by voting it through second reading before he withdrew it for no clear reason? 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

I didn't. 

No - the Lib Dems and Scots Nats did because they thought it would serve their short-term political gain. 

I can understand it for the SNP - they may proclaim opposition to Brexit but it makes independence more likely imo. The Lib Dems - just truly astonishing that they would sacrifice what they proclaim to be the most important of principles for a few extra seats. 

It is ironic that it is the Lib Dems who were the matchmakers that made Brexit possible through supporting Cameron end up acting as the midwives of Brexit as well, by facilitating its birth. 

How tragic that a once great radical force in British politics has sunk so low. 😪

• Like 1

Just now, kick it off said:

Think it was Boris who did that wasn't it? You know because parliament blocked his Brexit deal by voting it through second reading before he withdrew it for no clear reason? 

He couldn't have got the election through without Lib Dem and Scots Nats support. Once they came out in support of Boris' plan, the Labour Party had to follow suit to avoid accusations of running scared. 

I can understand the LDs not liking or trusting Corbyn, but this was clearly a failure of political strategy of historic proportions and may well have scuppered any chance of either a second referendum or a sensible Brexit deal.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

He couldn't have got the election through without Lib Dem and Scots Nats support. Once they came out in support of Boris' plan, the Labour Party had to follow suit to avoid accusations of running scared. 

I can understand the LDs not liking or trusting Corbyn, but this was clearly a failure of political strategy of historic proportions and may well have scuppered any chance of either a second referendum or a sensible Brexit deal.

Yeah fair point.

One thing is for sure though, 5 more years of this government and Brexit will speed up the brain drain as anyone with the ability to get out, gets out before Boris steers this ship directly into the iceberg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Like VW says, he cleared the path for Blair and Brown.

Who in turn cleared the path for Johnson and Farage...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

One thing is for sure though, 5 more years of this government and Brexit will speed up the brain drain as anyone with the ability to get out, gets out before Boris steers this ship directly into the iceberg.

I think that a lot will depend upon the size of the Tory majority. A small majority could see Farage's predictions re continuing crisis coming true.

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

I will point you to the indicative votes

Your lot were not interested in a good deal

Just remain

This is the result

And the Tory acolyte is aimed at me 🙂

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I'm now off to exercise my franchise in a small private booth.😀

It's election day Ricardo, maybe leave the **** cinema for the weekend....

PS "The franchise" is a great nickname for your bits.

56 minutes ago, Badger said:

Because your lot aren't that bright 😉

52 minutes ago, Badger said:

No - the Lib Dems and Scots Nats did because they thought it would serve their short-term political gain. 

I can understand it for the SNP - they may proclaim opposition to Brexit but it makes independence more likely imo. The Lib Dems - just truly astonishing that they would sacrifice what they proclaim to be the most important of principles for a few extra seats. 

It is ironic that it is the Lib Dems who were the matchmakers that made Brexit possible through supporting Cameron end up acting as the midwives of Brexit as well, by facilitating its birth. 

How tragic that a once great radical force in British politics has sunk so low. 😪

Instead of blaming everyone else have a look closer to home. Any opposition leader worth their salt would have buried the worst Conservative government a long time ago. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Instead of blaming everyone else have a look closer to home. Any opposition leader worth their salt would have buried the worst Conservative government a long time ago. 

Omg I nearly agree with Herman 🙂

the labour party are far worse than the lib Dems.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I wonder how Nicola sturgeon would've felt if she won the Indy ref 52-48 and the Tories blocked it.

• Haha 1