Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

On 03/12/2019 at 15:51, Van wink said:

Clearly not dying quick enough, a good dose of Norwalk should do the trick:classic_biggrin:

And so it begins!!

NHS tells people with norovirus vomiting bug to stay at home

December 5 2019, 12:00pm, The Times

The NHS says that people with the norovirus should not go back to work or school for at least 48 hours after symptoms pass
The NHS says that people with the norovirus should not go back to work or school for at least 48 hours after symptoms passALAMY

More than 1,100 hospital beds have been closed due to a widespread outbreak of the norovirus vomiting bug, prompting pleas from health officials for those affected to stay at home.

The NHS has urged people not to send their children back to school and not to go back to work for at least 48 hours after the symptoms have completely cleared up to avoid spreading the virus further.

Public Health England (PHE) has analysed national data and found that the number of positive tests for norovirus between November 11 and 24 was 28 per cent higher than the five-year average for the same period.

Edited by Van wink

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

My theory is that if people are genuinely concerned with the anti-semitism in the Labour party, and there is evidence to show there is a problem, then surely they wouldn't support another party that has clear evidential proof of racism and bigotry, whether it's the leaders articles with Islamophobic and homophobic stances, or the treatment of elderly black West Indians or the general migrant bashing.

Surely if you are against one, and so you should be, then you would be against the others.

As I say, it's only my theory. I could be wrong.

Its on a different level Herman, and You know it!

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Its on a different level Herman, and You know it!

It certainly is - its much worse on the Tory side - I'm certainly not aware of anyone in the Labour party advocating deporting British citizens for being Jewish. Whereas the Tories have illegally deported several hundred British citizens, and persecuted a great many more for being black (and poor!).

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TCCANARY said:

NorwichConservatives @NorwichTories 3h3 hours ago

#BreakingNews: @NorwichChloe declared winner of #NorwichNorth candidates debate on @BBCNorfolk!

No 'winner' was declared. This is disgusting lies from the Tories.

This is disgusting lies from the Tories.

Ad infinitum.

6 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It certainly is - its much worse on the Tory side - I'm certainly not aware of anyone in the Labour party advocating deporting British citizens for being Jewish. Whereas the Tories have illegally deported several hundred British citizens, and persecuted a great many more for being black (and poor!).

ELECTION 2019

Lord Falconer has ‘gravest concerns’ about Jeremy Corbyn and antisemitism

A former Labour justice secretary says he has “the gravest concerns” about Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership after the publication of an “utterly damning” dossier about antisemitism.

Lord Falconer of Thoroton said that he “completely understands” why the Jewish community has concerns over whether the Labour leader is fit to be prime minister.

He was speaking after a 47-page dossier submitted by the Jewish Labour Movement to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) was leaked.

The dossier, which includes evidence from 70 whistleblowers, describes 11 occasions when Mr Corbyn has “associated with, sympathised with and engaged in antisemitism”.

It claims that since Mr Corbyn became the Labour leader there has been a “relentless flow of antisemitism” and that there is “overwhelming evidence” that it is “pervasive at all levels of the party”.

Meanwhile, has the Prime Minister agreed to a date for an interview with with Andrew Neil yet? Or will he wait until the election is over?

And why was Sajid Javid caught in a lie about homelessness this morning?

Could it just be that the current Tory leadership is committed to any trick, any lie necessary to ram through whatever they decide the electorate "gave us a mandate for" after this election? 

If no, why do you think that? 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

Just now, Surfer said:

Meanwhile, has the Prime Minister agreed to  date for an interview with with Andrew Neil yet? 

And why was Sajid Javid caught in a lie about homelessness this morning?

Could it just be that the current Tory leadership is committed to any trick, and lie necessary to ram through whatever they decide the electorate "gave us a mandate for" after this election? 

If no, why do you think that? 

The lie about homelessness is that Labour or anyone else can "solve it"

20 minutes ago, Van wink said:

ELECTION 2019

Lord Falconer has ‘gravest concerns’ about Jeremy Corbyn and antisemitism

A former Labour justice secretary says he has “the gravest concerns” about Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership after the publication of an “utterly damning” dossier about antisemitism.

Lord Falconer of Thoroton said that he “completely understands” why the Jewish community has concerns over whether the Labour leader is fit to be prime minister.

He was speaking after a 47-page dossier submitted by the Jewish Labour Movement to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) was leaked.

The dossier, which includes evidence from 70 whistleblowers, describes 11 occasions when Mr Corbyn has “associated with, sympathised with and engaged in antisemitism”.

It claims that since Mr Corbyn became the Labour leader there has been a “relentless flow of antisemitism” and that there is “overwhelming evidence” that it is “pervasive at all levels of the party”.

And your point is.........

Presumably that all this amounts to is something quite unpleasant and certainly something which should be addressed far better by the Labour Party than they have managed so far but nevertheless with very little practical impact on British Jewish citizens.

Whereas the Tories have illegally deported several hundred British citizens, and persecuted a great many more for being black (and poor!) - which to any right thinking person is totally disgusting and had a hugely more detrimental impact upon British citizens.

Deflect and distract as much as you like, you are supporting genuinely evil politicians and we've all seen that evidenced by their actions in government. I afraid that 47 page dossier of allegations from the Jewish Labour Movement with a few accusations doesn't amount to a hill of beans compared to what we know the Tories are guilty of.

7 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

And your point is.........

Presumably that all this amounts to is something quite unpleasant and certainly something which should be addressed far better by the Labour Party than they have managed  so far but nevertheless with very little practical impact on British Jewish citizens.

Whereas the Tories have illegally deported several hundred British citizens, and persecuted a great many more for being black (and poor!) - which to any right thinking person is totally disgusting and had a hugely more detrimental impact upon British citizens.

Deflect and distract as much as you like, you are supporting genuinely evil politicians and we've all seen that evidenced by their actions in government. I afraid that 47 page dossier from the Jewish Labour Movement with a few accusations doesn't amount to a hill of beans compared to what we know the Tories are guilty of.

"something quite unpleasant"........your description of institutional racism...my God!

"very little practical impact on British Jewish citizens."

Those comments illustrates that you have completely failled to understand this issues.

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Because Corbyn is a terrorist supporter.

He’s also been an anti-racism protestor. I guess that’s why you’re not a fan, Swindo 👍🏻

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Some reasons for the rise in homelessness.

Complete lack of social housing.

Unaffordable rents.

Universal credit changes.

It is a solvable problem, mostly, but it will take a while and the willing of the government. Not likely under a free-marketeer party though.

Just now, Van wink said:

"very little practical impact on British Jewish citizens."

That comment illustrates that you have completely failled to understand this issue

No it doesn't - we are discussing relative impacts and the practical impacts on the Jewish community have been far less than the harrassment the Government has inflicted on both the black community and the poor, come to that its been far less than muslims and non-Bristish EU citizens have also suffered under this government.

None of that is to excuse the Labour party's failings, they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But to suggest that they have more of a problem than the Tories is beyond ridiculous - sorry to get back onto what is rapidly becoming my hobby horse but IMO it is impossible to escape the conclusion that we have two disgracefully poor and incompetent parties who nevertheless will between them capture almost all the seats in Parliament because our dysfunctional FPTP system convinces voters they must chose between the lesser of two evils rather than vote for someone they actually believe in or actually has any integrity.

Even so, that you see the Tories as the lesser evil is pretty incredible but I suppose it means that despite your clear understanding of Labour's alleged anti-semitism, you've somehow managed to overlook the many damaging (some illegal), prejudicial and vindictive actions inflicted by these malign Tories on British citizens over the last nine years, even though they've happened in plain sight and been well documented - quite an impressive feat from a certain perspective!

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

No it doesn't - we are discussing relative impacts and the practical impacts on the Jewish community have been far less than the harrassment the Government has inflicted on both the black community and the poor, come to that its been far less than muslims and non-Bristish EU citizens have also suffered under this government.

None of that is to excuse the Labour party's failings, they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But to suggest that they have more of a problem than the Tories is beyond ridiculous - sorry to get back onto what is rapidly becoming my hobby horse but IMO it is impossible to escape the conclusion that we have two disgracefully poor and incompetent parties who nevertheless will between them capture almost all the seats in Parliament because our dysfunctional FPTP system convinces voters they must chose between the lesser of two evils rather than vote for someone they actually believe in or actually has any integrity.

Even so, that you see the Tories as the lesser evil is pretty incredible but I suppose it means that despite your clear understanding of Labour's alleged anti-semitism, you've somehow managed to overlook the many damaging (some illegal), prejudicial and vindictive actions inflicted by these malign Tories on British citizens over the last nine years, even though they've happened in plain sight and been well documented - quite an impressive feat from a certain perspective!

Have you ever read the Chillcot report? 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/06/iraq-inquiry-key-points-from-the-chilcot-report

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Some reasons for the rise in homelessness.

Complete lack of social housing.

Unaffordable rents.

Universal credit changes.

It is a solvable problem, mostly, but it will take a while and the willing of the government. Not likely under a free-marketeer party though.

Homelessness is a hugely complex problem with much of its problems rooted in addiction. For any Labour or any other politician to claim they can "end homelessness" on top of all the other hugely extravagant and uncosted claims is sadly a lie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

You really are running low on deflections aren't you?

Far from it, the problem is your inablility to acknowledge the deep seated racism in the Labour Party. 

The same lack of acknowledgment that has resulted in a failure to grasp the nettle and deal with it!

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Far from it, the problem is your inablility to acknowledge the deep seated racism in the Labour Party. 

The same lack of acknowledgment that has resulted in a failure to grasp the nettle and deal with it!

I did just condem it, but it still doesn't compare in scale or impact with the malign actions (and attitudes) of the Tories - something which you refuse to acknowledge on any level.

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Homelessness is a hugely complex problem with much of its problems rooted in addiction. For any Labour or any other politician to claim they can "end homelessness" on top of all the other hugely extravagant and uncosted claims is sadly a lie.

This is simply untrue. Addiction is one of the many reasons, not the main reason. Nobody can end homelessness, but they can sure make a start. Building some ****ing homes that people can genuinely afford and stop the complete privatisation of the housing market.

10 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Obviously not.😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Did you condemn it or did you refer to it as "something quite unpleasant"

I said ' None of that is to excuse the Labour party's failings, they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But to suggest that they have more of a problem than the Tories is beyond ridiculous ' and that is exactly what I meant.

I have no interest whatsoever in defending Labour's failings and no intention of voting for them either, I just it find it both highly amusing and hypocritical of you to continually post about Labour anti-semitism whilst you turn a blind eye to far worse failings in the party you presumably intend to vote for - a very convenient conscience you have there 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

This is simply untrue. Addiction is one of the many reasons, not the main reason. Nobody can end homelessness, but they can sure make a start. Building some ****ing homes that people can genuinely afford and stop the complete privatisation of the housing market.

Have a listen to some people who actually know what they are talking about Herman, particularly the first contributor, Tony.

If you know more about the issue than that guy I concede to your greater knowledge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000c0p4

18 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Obviously not.😉

😂Yes, probably rather naive of me - I've read enough of @VW's posts over the last few years to know better!

4 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I said ' None of that is to excuse the Labour party's failings, they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But to suggest that they have more of a problem than the Tories is beyond ridiculous ' and that is exactly what I meant.

I have no interest whatsoever in defending Labour's failings and no intention of voting for them either, I just it find it both highly amusing and hypocritical of you to continually post about Labour anti-semitism whilst you turn a blind eye to far worse failings in the party you presumably intend to vote for - a very convenient conscience you have there 😀

Hardly amusing and not hypocritical, sadly the Labour party has got itself into a shocking place on racism and whilst I have never even tried to defend the Tories on any allegations of this sort, find a post if you can, the current situation faced by the Jewish community is deplorable

56 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The problem with argument as Sajid later discovered much to his embarrassment is Labour did pretty much exactly that last time - reducing it enormously from the previous peak they inherited from the Tories. Of course there are all sorts of reasons for homelessness i.e. drugs and nobody has all the answers (except perhaps a few on here....)

16 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

This is exactly the view I have. I watch with dismay the right wing (not known for their - anti - anti-semitism) have an orgy of Corbyn bashing yet strangely can't quite find the evidence where Corbyn is unequivocally anti-semitic. 

Boris on the other hand makes all sorts of racist comments and tropes.  

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Hardly amusing and not hypocritical, sadly the Labour party has got itself into a shocking place on racism and whilst I have never even tried to defend the Tories on any allegations of this sort, find a post if you can, the current situation faced by the Jewish community is deplorable

It is your posts that I find both amusing and hypocritical, not the situation, but of course you know that full well.

Still, keep polishing that deflection filter and we'll probably get bored of pointing out to you that the Tory party has also got itself into a shocking place on racism, and on deceit in government, and illegality in government, and corruption in government, and incompetence in government and that's before we even get onto their general vindictiveness towards large groups of our citizens.

There you go, I'm bored already because it's all been said many times before  😀

34 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Have a listen to some people who actually know what they are talking about Herman, particularly the first contributor, Tony.

If you know more about the issue than that guy I concede to your greater knowledge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000c0p4

Of course I don't know better than the people living through it, but to say it is mostly caused by addiction is bollox and a clear attempt to push the blame away from the government. Again.

https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/lbc/uk/46vyD81/

Today's.From 55mins.

Edited by Herman

A potentially devastating interview clearly isn't going to happen .... but Andrew Neil doing his best to close the door after the horse has bolted. 

"It is not too late. We have an interview prepared. Oven-ready, as Mr Johnson likes to say," he said, in a monologue. 

"The theme running through our questions is trust - and why at so many times in his career, in politics and journalism, critics and sometimes even those close to him have deemed him to be untrustworthy. It is, of course, relevant to what he is promising us all now."

"We have always proceeded in good faith that the leaders would participate. And in every election they have. All of them. Until this one."

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50679252

• Like 1