Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

We have learned that the last years of conservative rule have been an unmitigated, nasty and divisive disaster. Some of us are not willing to put the country through another 5 years of these disgusting people. No parties are very good, and the people need far better leaders than what we are being offered, but the current crop of tories are by far the worst group of politicians this country has ever had.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

We have learned that the last years of conservative rule have been an unmitigated, nasty and divisive disaster. Some of us are not willing to put the country through another 5 years of these disgusting people. No parties are very good, and the people need far better leaders than what we are being offered, but the current crop of tories are by far the worst group of politicians this country has ever had.

Exactly this.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Exactly this.

5-2 no overall majority. Worth having a small wager if Bill is right.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

"Boris Johnson will commit a Tory government to not raise income tax, VAT or National Insurance for five years as he promises to “put more money back in people’s pockets” after Brexit."

"A key aim of Johnson’s Tory manifesto will be to focus voters’ minds on what he claims will be the economic benefits for them and the country once the UK has left the EU, and a majority government is able to concentrate its energies on domestic issues." 

I think Purple's question from a couple  of weeks ago should be attached to their manifesto if this is what they plan.

I post so much I must get something right, but I've forgotten what that prescient question was!

40 minutes ago, ricardo said:

5-2 no overall majority. Worth having a small wager if Bill is right.

Has he been banned again or just taking a well earned break and detox?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

The view from Norwich North.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/24/norwich-north-general-election-2019-labour-polices-are-a-winner-corbyn-not-so-much

"Sandra Grix, a mother who is on benefits, answers the door and has a problem with Corbyn. “He’s a ****,” she says."

Labour will always get the 'mother on benefits' vote. But the 'mother in benefits' along with youngsters are the least likely to get out of bed and go to the polling station. So the polls before an election are usually skewed in Labour's favour. 

But I'm more interested in this hidden £50bn for Waspi women. Anyone care to divulge where the money to pay for this is coming from?

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Labour will always get the 'mother on benefits' vote. But the 'mother in benefits' along with youngsters are the least likely to get out of bed and go to the polling station. So the polls before an election are usually skewed in Labour's favour. 

But I'm more interested in this hidden £50bn for Waspi women. Anyone care to divulge where the money to pay for this is coming from?

But questioned by Sophy Ridge on Sky News, Mr McDonnell said it would be funded by a "very special arrangement, a contingency, in the same way government in the past has dealt with matters in the past like this".

It looks like they've found Mrs May's magic money tree. It was in a field with the bailing out the bankers river of cash.

33 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

But questioned by Sophy Ridge on Sky News, Mr McDonnell said it would be funded by a "very special arrangement, a contingency, in the same way government in the past has dealt with matters in the past like this".

It looks like they've found Mrs May's magic money tree. It was in a field with the bailing out the bankers river of cash.

It didn’t exist then and it doesn’t exist now. Today’s extra £50 billion has blown any sniff of credibility that the gormless ( to quote absent friends ) may have wanted to believe.

Thatcher was the first PM to use benefits to suit her purpose so don't go blaming Labour.

And the WASP movement, and my wife is one, are pleased to tell you that the money will come from where ever Widdicombe hid it after denying it to them.

It is OK to ring fence private pensions up to £85K but take away, in my wife's case, £30K. It is called theft.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

It didn’t exist then and it doesn’t exist now. Today’s extra £50 billion has blown any sniff of credibility that the gormless ( to quote absent friends ) may have wanted to believe.

You won't find any credibilty in any of the costings during the election campaign by any of the parties.

RTB foolishly thinks it's just the Labour Party that does this.

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

You won't find any credibilty in any of the costings during the election campaign by any of the parties.

I’ve not seen any costings from the Tories

Edited by Van wink

Just now, Van wink said:

I’ve not seen any coatings from the Tories

The 'coatings' from the Tories are of the sugar type.

I did say 'during' and my calendar seems to tell me that December 13th is still in the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

The 'coatings' from the Tories are of the sugar type.

I did say 'during' and my calendar seems to tell me that December 13th is still in the future.

Sensitive soul 

49 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

One thing you can be certain of is that whatever is borrowed and spent, you will be paying for it for the rest of your life.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

One thing you can be certain of is that whatever is borrowed and spent, you will be paying for it for the rest of your life.

Yes, they all never run out of other peoples money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Yes, they all never run out of other peoples money.

They might run out of billionaires fairly quickly though.😀

49 minutes ago, ricardo said:

They might run out of billionaires fairly quickly though.😀

They must all be panicking that their disposable income is going to be devastated.

I expect they'll all join Dyson in Singapore.

https://www.scribd.com/document/436630457/Conservative-2019-manifesto#from_embed

The Tories have copied the above almost word for word from The Brexit Party, but unlike the Liebour and Lib-Dum manifestos, at least it's costed:

https://www.scribd.com/document/436631712/Tory-Manifest-Costings#from_embed

Next week, Magic Grandpa is going to offer everyone in the UK one million pounds if elected 🙃

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I post so much I must get something right, but I've forgotten what that prescient question was!

In its simplest, concentrated form, why are Brexiters wanting to cost every policy idea except Brexit itself? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

They must all be panicking that their disposable income is going to be devastated.

I expect they'll all join Dyson in Singapore.

Plenty of places where they will be welcomed.

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Plenty of places where they will be welcomed.

Mainly Tory party fund raising events.

Anyone for tennis, that'll be £170K.

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

In its simplest, concentrated form, why are Brexiters wanting to cost every policy idea except Brexit itself? 

The Tory manifesto does what it needs to do inasmuch as it sets out a sound base for a post Brexit Britain -- It does not over commit, nor does it waste political capital by trying to force through undesirable policies -- It also doesn't offer too many goodies to attract votes it likely doesn't need and would not be able to keep longer-term.

The same can't be said for the Liebour and Lib-Dum manifestos.

So 50,000 new nurses is a lie.

That didn't take long.

After the debacle with the new  hospitals claim you'd think the Tories would get someone on thier team who could do maths.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

you'd think the Tories would get someone on thier team who could do maths.

Yeah, the Tories need a Diane Abbott 🙃

22 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

This measure, according to Labour, will rake in £5bn. You need to set that figure next to spending plans of around £100Bn if you include nationalisation of private industries. So where is this extra £95Bn coming from? A lot of it will be borrowed. A big chunk will come from replacing inheritance tax with a gift tax. That means all those Millennial waiting for Boomer grandparents to die off and leave them an expensive house in a will are in for a big shock. Any property over £120,000 will be subject to tax, so it is a Labour Chancellor who gets his hands on grandma's loot and not little Tarquin. You have been warned.

Do you believe that someone on 80 grand p/a will be left with 2 grand net income p/a?

7 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Do you believe that someone on 80 grand p/a will be left with 2 grand net income p/a?

someone on 80 grand p/a

Is grandpa 80?