Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cyber attack against Labour. Wonder if Donald and his very good friend have managed to get in touch with Putin, another one of their very good friends and told him to cover his tracks.

Was it a Trump/Farage/Putin/Russia induced cyber-attack or could it be that a last-minute scramble overwhelmed Labour’s servers because today was the deadline for Labour CLPs to get their Freepost printing done?  🤔🙃

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

""A compulsive liar who has betrayed every single person he has ever had dealings with: every woman who has ever loved him, every member of his family, every friend, every colleague, every employee, every constituent."

Courtesy of Nick Boles, formed Tory MP and Minister.

Will we be seeing him invited onto the BBC, LBC and Sky to eviscerate Johnson as Ian Austin was?

'Whoever takes over from Cameron will be pitched straight into one of the most demanding jobs in the world, at a pivotal moment in our nation’s history, and will face massive challenges.  So we do not have the luxury, as we had in opposition, of choosing someone young, fresh and inexperienced.  This really is no time for a novice.  We need to elect someone who has deep experience of leadership and can cope with the relentless pressure and exposure of a top-flight political job.

The intemperate and often unpleasant nature of the referendum campaign has highlighted divisions in society, between classes, generations and different parts of the country.  48 per cent of the country voted to stay in the European Union and many of them are feeling bruised, frightened and rejected. If we are not very careful, the process of implementing the people’s decision will exacerbate those divisions and risk splitting the country apart. So we need to elect someone who is a natural unifier, and consensus builder, a fully paid-up member of the human race, who doesn’t just spout the rhetoric of One Nation, but lives and breathes an approach to politics that is warm, generous, open and inclusive.

Finally, as members of the most successful political party anywhere in the world, we must not neglect the important matter of winning elections.  In time, our new leader may feel the need to secure a renewed mandate from the British people and return to Parliament with a clear majority committed to implementing the people’s decision.  Yesterday’s developments suggest we could face a new and more credible Labour leader when this happens.  So we must choose a standard-bearer who can appeal to voters of all ages, races, backgrounds in every part of the count – someone who can reach the parts of Britain that other Conservatives find hard to reach.

It is these four conditions that have led me to conclude that we should elect Boris Johnson as our next leader and Prime Minister.  I have worked closely with Johnson as his chief of staff when he was first elected Mayor of London.  We have had well-advertised differences in the past.  But he is a modern, liberal Tory, who won two elections in a city that is naturally Labour, who has grown immensely in stature and maturity in his eight years as Mayor, and who will lead the country with the same humanity and sense of fairness that he brought to the leadership of our capital city.

Many of my closest friends in politics, people who fought alongside me in successive battles to modernise our party, and win back the trust of the British people, people who shared my feelings of dismay at the result of the referendum and the resignation of a leader we believed in, will struggle with the choice I am recommending.  I understand completely where they are coming from.  But I am going to spend the next three months doing my best to explain to them, as the spirit of my late father explained to me, why the national interest must come first and why, in the national interest, we must elect Johnson.

771.thumbnail.png     By Nick Boles MP

According to the Torygraph, Sir Nigel don’t have much choice about his decision to stand all those candidates down and faced a massive internal revolt  is this true or just Fake News? 

LIB-DEM-LIE.png?w=540&ssl=1

The Lib Dems’ Putney Candidate is proudly claiming she “led the campaign to ban landmines in South Africa, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize”. Impressive achievement…

wixley-lying.png?w=1200&ssl=1

The odd grammar gives the game away, however. Sue Wixley did not win the Nobel Peace Prize – nor did the campaign to ban landmines in South Africa 🤥 The 1997 peace prize was split between Jody Williams and the International Campaign to Ban Landmines. 

The International Campaign to Ban Landmines was itself made up of multiple national campaigns, including Afghanistan, Cambodia, Kenya and South Africa – the latter of which Sue co-founded whilst working at Oxfam in Johannesburg. It is a bit of stretch to claim she won the Nobel Peace Prize, and worse than misleading bar charts…

4 minutes ago, Surfer said:

According to the Torygraph, Sir Nigel don’t have much choice about his decision to stand all those candidates down and faced a massive internal revolt  is this true or just Fake News? 

It was a difficult decision for Sir Nigel, but it was the correct one and once again he has proven to be the only politician to play with a straight bat.

Farage has invested most of the last 25 years trying to get the UK out of the EU -- He's not alone -- Many of us like he knows the only way out is on the back of the Tories, possibly with the 'help' of half a dozen Brexit Party MPs.

This is not an election that can be fought again in 5 years time.

6 minutes ago, Jools said:

It was a difficult decision for Sir Nigel, but it was the correct one and once again he has proven to be the only politician to play with a straight bat.

Farage has invested most of the last 25 years trying to get the UK out of the EU -- He's not alone -- Many of us like he knows the only way out is on the back of the Tories, possibly with the 'help' of half a dozen Brexit Party MPs.

This is not an election that can be fought again in 5 years time.

That's your best one ever. 🤣

15 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

I went to the tatical voting website curious to see the advice it would give and entered every postcode I've ever lived it and it said for everyone of them "don't bother". Could be a Scottish thing.

Which one did you use? Gina Miller has also set one up which was good in the last election. Not that I have much choice either. 

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Which one did you use? Gina Miller has also set one up which was good in the last election. Not that I have much choice either. 

Ah, let's remind ourselves once again of the lying, unelected Gina Miller, who fronts for rich Europhiles  👇

On Sky News this afternoon, Gina Miller and Adam Boulton slipped up, erroneously claiming that the Conservative Party Manifesto did not say that “no deal is better than a bad deal.”

AB: None of those manifestos said leaving without a deal, which is what this issue is about

TH: The Conservatiove Party Manifesto said that No Deal was better than a Bad Deal, clearly.

GM: The manifesto didn’t say that

AB: The manifesto didn’t

But it literally did in black and white on page 36…

Miller then went on to claim that she is not running anti-Brexit campaigns, asserting she’s not an anti-Brexit activist. It must have just been purely coincidental that she found herself…

• Founding anti-Brexit campaign Best for Britain
  • Campaiging with anti-Brexit Liberal Democrat and Labour politicians
  • Working with Euro-federalist campaign group European Movement to advocate the People’s Vote march.
  • Marching for a ‘People’s Vote‘ alongside anti-Brexit MPs Caroline Lucas, Stephen Doughty, Vince Cable, and Peter Kyle.
  • Speaking at Lib Dem Party Conference 2018
  • Speaking at a People’s Vote rally
  • Founding anti-Brexit campaign ‘End the Chaos‘, which argues for a second referendum.
  • Founding anti Brexit campaign Lead not Leave
  • Threatening Boris Johnson with legal action if he tries to stick to his manifesto commitment that No Deal is better than a bad deal.

Not that Sky’s Boulton challenged her on any of that…

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Really @Rock The Boat, I don't think so and the fact you think so says more about you than anything else. This is poorly written poorly reseached piece of prejudice. It plays only to a particular conservative mindset that does not like young people, optimism and forward thinking. Across the world those areas in which the young who this writer disparages gather are wealthier, happier and more interesting. The writer, and I suspect you, diesn't like this. I wonder why

The wealthier, happier and more interesting world created by us boomers, I think you mean. From what I have seen of snowflakes is that they are timid, live in an echo chamber, self-regarding , inexperienced and intolerant of anything that they don't understand - which is most things. I would much rather be a boomer than a millennial.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The wealthier, happier and more interesting world created by us boomers, I think you mean. From what I have seen of snowflakes is that they are timid, live in an echo chamber, self-regarding , inexperienced and intolerant of anything that they don't understand - which is most things. I would much rather be a boomer than a millennial.

Most Boomers would, after standing on the shoulders of the previous generation and hoovering up all the advantages that gave they haven't left much of a legacy.

" A former media executive who lent his Westminster mansion to Boris Johnson has been rewarded with a safe Conservative parliamentary seat.

Andrew Griffith, who is now the prime minister's chief business adviser, was selected as the Tories' candidate in Arundel and South Downs, replacing retiring MP Nick Herbert."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-boris-johnson-conservative-andrew-griffith-sky-arundel-south-downs-a9199846.html

well at least the Tories can claim that it is not just the Russians who are funding their party,

however it is not so clear what the returned favour is as far as the Russian money is concerned

ps if you want more evidence of Tory lies/evasion then click on the link above and listen to the clip

12 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The sad thing is with Jools having to stand down he has more time to post all his guff on here. Does anybody at all read it?

On occasion, when I need a laugh. 

9 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The sad thing is with Jools having to stand down he has more time to post all his guff on here. Does anybody at all read it?

certainly not him it would seem

however my thought is that we should send out a search party for bagster and Len

their logins must be somewhere

perhaps they were dropped on the A11...

.......so keep 'em peeled 😁

In December 2017 Mr Farage announced he and his wife had separated, saying he' s "separated and "skint"

He is however estimated to be worth around £2.5million.

Mr Farage added nearly £400,000 to the company Thorn In The Side Ltd, of which he is the sole director.

He pockets around £26,900 a month from the media company.

This is on top of his MEP pre-tax salary of £7,858 a month, or £94,296 a year.

And he is entitled to a pension of £73,000 a year once he retires.

Don't you just love these people who pretend to be "skint". Lets have a Telethon called NIgel in Need.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Most Boomers would, after standing on the shoulders of the previous generation and hoovering up all the advantages that gave they haven't left much of a legacy.

I would dispute that view of the past. In 1945 the country was bankrupt and the generation of which you talk had very little wealth for the main part. Particularly in a rural area such as Norfolk, poverty, or low-income as they call it these days, was very much a feature of daily life for the majority. The post-war generation did work hard as did the boomer generation who also lived under the shadow of the war time experience as the consequences lingered on for years after. It really wasn't until we reached the 80s that we saw the rise of the entitlement culture that now seems to be a characteristic of millennials. 

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

certainly not him it would seem

however my thought is that we should send out a search party for bagster and Len

their logins must be somewhere

perhaps they were dropped on the A11...

.......so keep 'em peeled 😁

Perhaps Bagster and Len heard from somewhere that we're not leaving the EU

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Obviously you do.

12 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

It really wasn't until we reached the 80s that we saw the rise of the entitlement culture that now seems to be a characteristic of millennials. 

Agreed, Thatcher has a lot to answer for.

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

She brought in a culture of greed. That and entitlement go hand in hand. 

It's amazing that forty-years on and people are still triggered by Margaret Thatcher.

Official job figures out today. They prove that EU workers have been displacing British workers. The figures also kill the myth that British don't want to work.

The official job figures contained some good news for the labour market as unemployment dipped, taking the jobless rate back to 3.8pc. It has not been lower since 1974.

It means 32.75 million people are in work according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). Compared with this time last year employment is up by 323,000.

At the same time 1.3 million people are unemployed - one of the lowest levels in more than 40 years. 

By nationality, an additional 125,000 Britons are in employment, outweighed by a drop of 131,000 EU nationals – the biggest fall in the 21 years on record.

The drop covers citizens from all across the EU, with a fall of 39,000 among EU14 nationals - the older member states including France, Germany and Spain - as well as 49,000 from the "accession eight", including Poland and 42,000 from the EU2 of Romania and Bulgaria.

19 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Thatcher created a culture of entitlement? You're havin' a larf, BF.

Yes, she was party to the creation of the me, me, me sensibility. By then the Boomers were in full swing and had used up many of the advantages they had been given (cheap housing rising in value, well paid jobs, free education etc) and started to sell off the family silver to pay for their lifestyles (tax cuts, asset sales, borrowing).

Boomers worked hard, I will give you but they also were granted immense opportunity which allowed them to believe that everything they got they earned. Previous generations (and I think later ones) were far more collective.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

It's amazing that forty-years on and people are still triggered by Margaret Thatcher.

Pointing out something factual is not being triggered. Add the fact I was only a kid when she got into power and I come from a family of North Finchleyites I don't hate her as much as some. Although with the benefit of history and hindsight she was a nasty old bag.But at least with her you knew where you stood.😀

12 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yes, she was party to the creation of the me, me, me sensibility. By then the Boomers were in full swing and had used up many of the advantages they had been given (cheap housing rising in value, well paid jobs, free education etc) and started to sell off the family silver to pay for their lifestyles (tax cuts, asset sales, borrowing).

Boomers worked hard, I will give you but they also were granted immense opportunity which allowed them to believe that everything they got they earned. Previous generations (and I think later ones) were far more collective.

Yes, it was pretty amazing wasn't it. We had all this great stuff in the 80s because Thatcher turned the economy around, defeated the wrecking trade unions, brought in a modern economy, and created an environment where boomers could work hard and keep more of the money that they earned.

Quite a different story from the 70s where inflation was out of control as were the trade unions, borrowing to the max, unemployment at an all-time high and taxes beyond belief. What was it 95% on unearned income.

It was collective misery for everyone, as I recall. What's really scary is that Corbyn and Mcdonall want to re-create the same economic conditions as we had in the 70s.