Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

This really has come as a shock to me, whoever would have thought this🧐

"For the first time, the former speaker of the House of Commons renounces to the impartiality of his late role and expresses his frank remarks on his country exiting the European Union: “My own personal opinion is that Brexit does not help us”, said Bercow during a briefing organised by the Foreign Press Association (FPA) in London, “We are part of a world of power blocs and trade blocs, my feeling is that it is better to be part of that power [EU] bloc and of that trade bloc than not”"

46 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I like Colorado and NM best. 

Add in Utah - fantastic country to explore. 👍

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Add in Utah - fantastic country to explore. 👍

Don't know Utah at all really  - although a now very old colleague (actually British) retired there. Yes love the big scenery - desert and mountains. 

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

This really has come as a shock to me, whoever would have thought this🧐

"For the first time, the former speaker of the House of Commons renounces to the impartiality of his late role and expresses his frank remarks on his country exiting the European Union: “My own personal opinion is that Brexit does not help us”, said Bercow during a briefing organised by the Foreign Press Association (FPA) in London, “We are part of a world of power blocs and trade blocs, my feeling is that it is better to be part of that power [EU] bloc and of that trade bloc than not”"

Would never have guessed it😀

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

He's right though Winky. 

He has a strogly held opinion as do many, hopefully the new Speaker will behave professionally and not allow his personal opinions to influence his impartiality

Edited by Van wink

And still they lie

"A complaint that a government advert extolling the benefits of universal credit was misleading, and thus “dangerous to the health and financial security of disabled people”, has been upheld by the UK’s advertising watchdog.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) took out a six-page advertorial in the Metro in May claiming to “set the record straight” on myths about the controversial new system, kicking off a nine-week campaign costing £225,000. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/universal-credit-dwp-advert-government-asa-watchdog-a9186711.html

Thankfully, as with the claims about brexit and the Tories proposed budget increases to the NHS and schools, there are those willing to challenge these lies.  And expose them for what they are.....lies

Maybe some of the bigots will eventually find out what the DUP found out. A liar will always lie....even to those closest to them

And Johnson is that liar

"

7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

He has a strogly held opinion as do many, hopefully the new Speaker will behave professionally and not allow his opinions to influence his impartiality

He didn't - that's just you not understanding this matter

as usual

1 minute ago, Bill said:

He didn't - that's just you not understanding this matter

as usual

you who

15 minutes ago, Van wink said:

He has a strogly held opinion as do many, hopefully the new Speaker will behave professionally and not allow his personal opinions to influence his impartiality

He did his job. I know you lot struggle with that at the moment but in years to come you will appreciate how his following of the rules stopped a really bad government taking us to a dark place. History will be kind to him, it won't be to some of the people he angered.

"More than 9,000 of the richest people in the UK collected more than £1m each in capital gains last year, exploiting a loophole that could result in them paying tax at a rate as low as 10%.

HMRC data shows 9,000 people paid just £5.1bn in tax on £33.7bn of capital gains income in the latest financial year available. That works out at an average tax rate of 14.8%, lower than than the basic rate income tax of 20% that people pay on salaries of between £12,501 and £50,000. "

meanwhile

" Jeremy Corbyn has said he will target tax dodgers if he becomes prime minister at the general election as he said billionaires have a moral obligation to pay their fair share.

“So our tax plans will affect the richest 5% of our society. We will be chasing down tax evasion, tax avoidance and tax havens because at the end of the day if you’re doing some very clever wheeze, which somehow or other is avoiding your levels of taxation, you should be paying. Go further away [and] what happens then? You’ve got an underfunded school, hospital and public services as a whole.”

I know which side of that argument I am on :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

If this campaign (including here) continues to find new depths of insulting stupidity to plumb at the rate it is going even I* will run out of adjectives and adverbs to describe it.

*VanWink posting as PurpleCanary.

It's only wednesday of the first week, with the Tories launching today. It took May a while to look out of her depth.

I wouldnt get too worked up yet Billy, lies are flying around from Labour and Tories, all this nonsense from both sides is going to be exposed as the countdown to the election rumbles on.

An interestin poll carried out by ICM over the weekend has poor Berties lead slippin to 7 points 38 v 31, with the LD's on 15 and Farage's lot on 9.

Interesting in that it has " 11 per cent of those voted Conservative at the last election in 2017 were now planning to vote for the Brexit Party, while 12 per cent of those who backed Labour in 2017 intended to vote for the Liberal Democrats. "

Which would strongly suggest a hung parliament by the levels of voters switching, Votes for Farage's lot will achieve nothing other than reducing the Tory vote - whereas votes switched to the libdems could increase their MPs.

The latter underpins my views of how this will pan our, whereas the polling figures will move accordingly to daily events so are not that indicitive unless they show a clear pattern - and that is too early at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I wouldnt get too worked up yet Billy, lies are flying around from Labour and Tories, all this nonsense from both sides is going to be exposed as the countdown to the election rumbles on.

nope, that is just you lying again - as with your guff about Bercow

ps where's your 'mate' Cpt Pants ?

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Can you explain why you would vote for the tories, with all the dishonesty you have seen, and what will you gain from having them in power for another 5 years?? 

Brexit

Edited by Rock The Boat

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Are we already at the "both sides lied" stage?😀

yep

hand crank will do as his betters beckon

irrespective of the name he posts under

_74496480_elvedenbypass.jpg

Edited by Bill

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Are we already at the "both sides lied" stage?😀

Having just watched Andrew Neil it certainly looks that way Hermy

Edited by Van wink

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

typhoo

Is that you.....where's the rest of us?

Edited by Van wink

2 hours ago, Bill said:

"More than 9,000 of the richest people in the UK collected more than £1m each in capital gains last year, exploiting a loophole that could result in them paying tax at a rate as low as 10%.

HMRC data shows 9,000 people paid just £5.1bn in tax on £33.7bn of capital gains income in the latest financial year available. That works out at an average tax rate of 14.8%, lower than than the basic rate income tax of 20% that people pay on salaries of between £12,501 and £50,000. "

meanwhile

" Jeremy Corbyn has said he will target tax dodgers if he becomes prime minister at the general election as he said billionaires have a moral obligation to pay their fair share.

“So our tax plans will affect the richest 5% of our society. We will be chasing down tax evasion, tax avoidance and tax havens because at the end of the day if you’re doing some very clever wheeze, which somehow or other is avoiding your levels of taxation, you should be paying. Go further away [and] what happens then? You’ve got an underfunded school, hospital and public services as a whole.”

I know which side of that argument I am on :classic_wink:

The top 1% of income earners pay 27& of income tax. If they move abroad who will pickup the tab?

Spoiler alert: The rest of us 

blimey the nutter is talking to himself

time to make myself scarce before Len or bagster turns up 🤪

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

blimey the nutter is talking to himself

"time to make myself scarce" 

Talking to yourself Billy

Edited by Van wink

5 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The top 1% of income earners pay 27& of income tax. If they move abroad who will pickup the tab?

Spoiler alert: The rest of us 

A reasonable question

4 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

The picture is a bit blurry but I can't make out a single smile or expression of happiness on the faces of the crowd. They all look glum tbh. 

3 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

He’s reading out your posts from this site.

Corbyn wouldn't be the only senior politician to quote me.