Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Reporting says that Johnson told at least 8 or 9 lies during his recent address outside No. 10, is this a record for one very brief speech?

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

The latest so called Conservative (the current government simply discredits the name) trick to 'doctor' Keir Starmer's interview simply shows them as a party of deceit and lies - unworthy to be British politicians. 

Can they or their 'supporters' whom presumably think this was OK sink any lower? I'm beginning to think not.

They are simply following the lead of their Republican “colleagues” in the US. Once the lying / propaganda starts there is no bottom. 

it must be called out and dealt with right now. 

There are only two groups of people who can fix this problem - Tory MP’s and the voters - but journalists and judges can certainly help out. 

Edited by Surfer

8 minutes ago, Surfer said:

They are simply following the lead of their Republican “colleagues” in the US. Once the lying / propaganda starts there is no bottom. 

it must be called out and dealt with right now. 

There are only two groups of people who can fix this problem - the Tory MP’s and the voters, but the press and tv can certainly help. 

I think the Electoral Commission needs to be given powers to seriously confront such clear lies / deceit with swingeing powers - £5M personal fine etc or even imprisonment of party leader (something that would ensure its not an electorally sensible thing to do)

Edited by Yellow Fever

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

If you get you opinions from Michael Gove you will be confused but then again just being you will keep you confused.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

It costs £2.50 to attend a Brexit Party election event.

Do all of the political parties charge people to attend events?

A friend of ours is a receptionist at the local Leisure Centre and the Brexit mob had a rally there. She asked why the charge to attend and was told by the local Brexit halfwit that it was to cover the cost of hiring the hall.

She has refused to work if they hold another rally as she kept getting rude and belligerent phone calls from people saying they didn't want the hall being used for that bunch of Sherman Tankers.

I think Anne Widdecombe got rejected from appearing at some venue down your way. 

52 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think the Electoral Commission needs to be given powers to seriously confront such clear lies / deceit with swingeing powers - £5M personal fine etc or even imprisonment of party leader (something that would ensure its not an electorally sensible thing to do)

The problem is the “when” as much as the “if” electoral laws are enforced. Here in the US if they are enforced at all, it’s often after the election is over and there is no recourse. 

So that is where journalists and other respected members of society have a huge role to play, to call out this lying not just report the lies. This is something the US journalists have failed at big time, I hope the UK journalists do not fall for it. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Oh RTB, bless your malfunctioning cerebrum.

Image result for Jeremy Corbyn rally

The picture is a bit blurry but I can't make out a single smile or expression of happiness on the faces of the crowd. They all look glum tbh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCCANARY said:

After Parliament has been dissolved the country no longer has any MP's as they all become candidates.

Do they still get an MP's salary or are they without a wage for the election campaign?

OK, found this, it's from the BBC so it's probably just lefty propaganda. 😀

Do MPs still get paid during the election period, and do they have to do any work? - Andrew Burgess, Pudsey

MPs are no longer MPs once Parliament is dissolved. They are ordinary members of the public with no special privileges. That is because every seat in the House of Commons is now up for grabs.

However, they continue to receive their salary, currently £79,468 a year, up to and including polling day. If they have chaired a select committee, the extra payment they get for doing that job stops on the day Parliament is dissolved.

They are under no obligation to do any work during this period and their parliamentary passes are locked out. But they can keep abreast of urgent casework via parliamentary email.

Does this mean that Johnson is no longer PM?

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Do you mean lieing like this?

3 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

OK, found this, it's from the BBC so it's probably just lefty propaganda. 😀

Do MPs still get paid during the election period, and do they have to do any work? - Andrew Burgess, Pudsey

MPs are no longer MPs once Parliament is dissolved. They are ordinary members of the public with no special privileges. That is because every seat in the House of Commons is now up for grabs.

However, they continue to receive their salary, currently £79,468 a year, up to and including polling day. If they have chaired a select committee, the extra payment they get for doing that job stops on the day Parliament is dissolved.

They are under no obligation to do any work during this period and their parliamentary passes are locked out. But they can keep abreast of urgent casework via parliamentary email.

Does this mean that Johnson is no longer PM?

Some of them manage to spill the gravy:

An MP who learnt she is not entitled to a £22,000 parachute payment after switching from Labour to the Liberal Democrats has complained of “discrimination”.

Angela Smith, who left Labour this year, said she was “horrified” that she was not entitled to the cash if she loses at the election because she is fighting a different seat.

The MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge resigned from the Labour Party in February to join the The Independent Group, later renamed Change UK.

She had fallen out with Jeremy Corbyn and his followers over their desire to re-nationalise water companies and lost a motion of no confidence by her constituency party.

Having joined the Liberal Democrats in September, she is now preparing to fight the Altrincham and Sale West constituency, which is currently held by the Conservatives.

But this means she cannot claim up to £22,000 in Loss of Office Payment (LOOP) if she loses.

In a letter to the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), the expenses watchdog, Ms Smith writes: “I cannot underestimate my horror in finding in the latest guidance these payments are only available if you stand in the same ‘seat’.

“The implications of this terrifying and may also affect my staff.”

An MP since 2005, Ms Smith said she had “no option” but to move to another party and to contest a different seat.

“I honestly consider I am being discriminated against,” she said.

In 2009 she became embroiled in the Parliamentary expenses scandal after The Telegraph revealed she had charged the taxpayer for four beds for a one-bedroom London flat.

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Do you mean lieing like this?

No - I said clearly the "electoral commission".  Doing things in an election (or referendum) that are clearly deceitful or outright lies in order to sway the result.

Other misdemeanours as above can be dealt with separately per Cairns today.

Then again I suppose the Brexiters wouldn't have any candidates left if they had to stick to the whole unvarnished truth.

No RTB, we mean things like the deliberate tampering of photos and videos to make it look like something happened that didn’t or someone said something they didn’t. 

Edited by Surfer

Just now, Surfer said:

No, we mean like editing photos and videos to make it look like something happened  that didn’t or someone said something they didn’t. 

Totally agree - it seems RTB has lost his moral compass. Where are you in US - used to have an office there myself.

I have lived in several States, but currently on the West Coast between Los Angeles and San Diego. Not sure which I like better - Texas or California. I do know which State I liked the least 😞 

Whereabouts - not too specific (:classic_cool:)  ? - I used to have a sub office in Burbank and even now my Company Lawyers are in SD. Still go that way about once a year and even today emailing Simi Valley!    

34 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The picture is a bit blurry but I can't make out a single smile or expression of happiness on the faces of the crowd. They all look glum tbh. 

A lot of people to pay to be there, isn't there.

Still, always a rib-tickler, a Tory/Brexit Corporationer targeting Labour on attendance at rallies. You do make me smile when you're not making me seriously concerned about your ability to survive in the world.

7 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Whereabouts - not too specific (:classic_cool:)  ? - I used to have a sub office in Burbank and even now my Company Lawyers are in SD. Still go that way about once a year and even today emailing Simi Valley!    

Ah yes, Burbank well named the Burrs that grow on the Bank definitely painful. Almost as bad as the “Shybush” in Texas. It’s got nasty thorns in it you don’t realize are there until you stroke it’s leaves to get them to close up - hence the “shy” 

" The prime minister made some questionable claims about his first “108 or so days” in office, claiming to have made the biggest investment in hospitals in a generation with 40 new ones, and that he brought 20,000 more police on to the streets. "

Even a RWNJ like RTB must know that this is a load of b0ll0cks.

21 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Totally agree - it seems RTB has lost his moral compass. Where are you in US - used to have an office there myself.

I posted a video of a Labour MP caught in a lie by Andrew Neill and I've lost my moral compass? The level of debate on this forum is heading south.

10 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Sky skewer James Cleverly in the Conservatives train wreck election campaign launch

Excellent work from Sky in empty chairing James Cleverly, worth watching just to hear her list today's Tory disasters. having heard him on Today he probably wished he had missed that one as well

Genius

My guess is that it was such a disastrous start they decided it was better to no show than to go and dig even deeper holes until they had concocted their story better! 

Edited by Yellow Fever

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

A lot of people to pay to be there, isn't there.

Still, always a rib-tickler, a Tory/Brexit Corporationer targeting Labour on attendance at rallies. You do make me smile when you're not making me seriously concerned about your ability to survive in the world.

But still we out-vote you lefties at General Elections - as we will do on December 12th

4 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Ah yes, Burbank well named the Burrs that grow on the Bank definitely painful. Almost as bad as the “Shybush” in Texas. It’s got nasty thorns in it you don’t realize are there until you stroke it’s leaves to get them to close up - hence the “shy” 

I like Colorado and NM best. 

4 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

" The prime minister made some questionable claims about his first “108 or so days” in office, claiming to have made the biggest investment in hospitals in a generation with 40 new ones, and that he brought 20,000 more police on to the streets. "

Even a RWNJ like RTB must know that this is a load of b0ll0cks.

Be a good lad and vote Tory on December 12th and watch it all come to pass. I know you really want to, TC

Can you explain why you would vote for the tories, with all the dishonesty you have seen, and what will you gain from having them in power for another 5 years?? 

On 04/11/2019 at 17:52, PurpleCanary said:

Not sure I can take another five and a bit weeks of what is already shaping up to be the most dispiriting and morally bankrupt election since the war. Which would not matter so much if the stakes were not so high. Often said about elections, but true in this case, with the wrong result being potentially catastrophic for the country.

If this campaign (including here) continues to find new depths of insulting stupidity to plumb at the rate it is going even I* will run out of adjectives and adverbs to describe it.

*VanWink posting as PurpleCanary.

15 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Sky skewer James Cleverly in the Conservatives train wreck election campaign launch

Excellent work from Sky in empty chairing James Cleverly, worth watching just to hear her list today's Tory disasters. having heard him on Today he probably wished he had missed that one as well

Genius

Yes, stuff is edited...........Match of the Day is very tightly 'edited' but that is due to the amount of time available for each game

it is not so as to change the result - as was done here

a piece of crude misrepresentation, reminiscent of doctored photos from the days of Stalin

and this is from someone numpties think is capable of 'running the country' 😟

someone not even trusted by his own family or ex wife............. a man who has been sacked for lyi,g, has cost millions in wasted vanity projects and been shown to be incompetent at every level in public office

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If this campaign (including here) continues to find new depths of insulting stupidity to plumb at the rate it is going even I* will run out of adjectives and adverbs to describe it.

*VanWink posting as PurpleCanary.

any idea of the car in hand crank's drive.............. a mini you claimed

odd that 🤨

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

He’s reading out your posts from this site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1