Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Even if it were a “genuine” letter - why if the deal was so “great” did the Prime Minister not push it through Parliament? It passed a 2nd Reading and had cross party support... did Nigel or Donald or Vladimir tell him to?

Edited by Surfer

What is Johnson's Brexit stance? 

Well he wrote two articles, for and against, he voted for and against the deal, he was for and against no deal and he would die in a ditch if we extended just before he extended. 

Clear as mud. But he's still conning enough marks to win an election. 

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Dear Jeremy, from Jeremy. 

Absolutely thick as sh*t. Pathetic. 

DAG
“For all those referring to the name of Corbyn being at the bottom

That is merely the convention of certain official letters: the recipient is set out at the base of the letter”

thought Billy would have known this 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

DAG
“For all those referring to the name of Corbyn being at the bottom

That is merely the convention of certain official letters: the recipient is set out at the base of the letter”

thought Billy would have known this 😉

Yes, like this...

Image result for uk government MP letters

You still type our your name under your signature.

I thought everyone would know this. Even you VW.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Dear Jeremy, from Jeremy. 

Absolutely thick as sh*t. Pathetic. 

Tories looking rattled already, all Johnson has is  gimicks which are not going to stand up to a six week campaign.

The great "election winner" is looking a bit of a liability.

The question is now less about whether he will be PM on the 13th December but whether he will even be an MP,

Edited by BigFish

42 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Tories looking rattled already, all Johnson has is  gimicks which are not going to stand up to a six week campaign.

The great "election winner" is looking a bit of a liability.

The question is now less about whether he will be PM on the 13th December but whether he will even be an MP,

I wish I was as optimistic. There was a time when I had a brighter outlook but over the past nine years, British politics has made me something of a Schopenhauerian with a much bleaker opinion of my fellow countrymen.

Edited by canarydan23

51 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I wish I was as optimistic. There was a time when I had a brighter outlook but over the past nine years, British politics has made me something of a Schopenhauerian with a much bleaker opinion of my fellow countrymen.

Not saying there will be a decent result, just that Johnson & co are rattled.

It is not going to Cummings plan

Edited by BigFish

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Yes, like this...

Image result for uk government MP letters

You still type our your name under your signature.

I thought everyone would know this. Even you VW.

Fair enough Dan, but I favour the opinion of David Allen Green over yours on this point.

1953AF73-1A06-49A0-9205-B89A6B1E0F0A.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Fair enough Dan, but I favour the opinion of David Allen Green over yours on this point.

Marxist knows best😉

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Marxist knows best😉

There is often a misplaced arrogance 😉

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Not saying there will be a decent result, just that Johnson & co are rattled.

It is not going to Cummings plan

From the day after the 2017 election I started predicting that the next election would be won at the least by an anti-Tory alliance. To show how confident I was I bet no less than £0 on this outcome. And a great deal has changed since then. For example, I did not envisage Johnson becoming prime minister. I should have realised a charlatan was the obvious choice...

But a not entirely baseless prediction would be that Johnson's popularity will not increase under the kind of scrutiny he will get, and might even drop, while Corbyn's should rise a bit. And the psephologists do seem to think it is quite an ask for the Tories to win outright. And if they do not there is no other party that will do a deal with them.

Even the courts are going barmy

An Extinction Rebellion protester has been cleared of criminal damage for spray-painting a council building after successfully arguing she was acting to defend her property.

Angela Ditchfield was arrested after defacing the headquarters of Cambridgeshire County Council during a protest last December painting two XR symbols onto the building.

However, Friday the 41-year-old was found not guilty at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court as the bench said she was acting "on the spur of moment to protect land and homes".

Ms Ditchfield, from King's Hedges Cambridge, argued she had a legal excuse to commit the vandalism as she believed there was an immediate threat to her property from climate disaster, a defence that can be used in minor cases of criminal damage.

The defence is usually envisaged for scenarios where someone breaks a window or door to get into a burning building.

Delivering their verdict, magistrates said: “We find that you have a very strong and honestly held belief that we are facing a climate emergency. 

“That you acted on the spur of moment to protect land and homes under threat from climate change, believing that immediate protection was necessary, and the action could be said to have been taken to protect property, and that you believed action chosen was reasonable in all circumstances.”

20 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

A No 10 source said reports such as that of the intelligence and security committee normally took about six weeks to be cleared for publication, and there was nothing unusual about the delay.

or

"Boris Johnson’s government is under intense pressure over a parliamentary special report on alleged illicit Russian activities in Britain with eminent former security and cabinet officials demanding that it stops blocking publication of the document.

The high-level intervention comes as the security and intelligence agencies confirmed that all measures necessary to protect sensitive information have already been taken and they have no objection to the report being made public.

The inquiry by the Commons Intelligence and Security Committee is believed to have looked at claims of Moscow’s attempts to influence the Brexit campaign and Russian money going into UK institutions including sizeable donations made to the Conservative Party. "  9.30am 5th November 2019

So what is Johnson trying to hide ?

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Even the courts are going barmy

No.

That's just another of your lies hand crank.

It was a judgement from ONE magistrates's court...not courts as you claim

11 hours ago, Surfer said:

Even if it were a “genuine” letter - why if the deal was so “great” did the Prime Minister not push it through Parliament? It passed a 2nd Reading and had cross party support... did Nigel or Donald or Vladimir tell him to?

it did not have cross party support

the support was for it to be scrutinised at the third reading

when Johnson realised that scrutinising would be for more than a day or so he pulled the bill as he knew that, like starting up a car and running it before a sale would not be the best idea if you knew the head casket had blown

what you would not then want is the prospective buyer to lift up the bonnet

that was what the above vote was about.....looking under the bonnet

Edited by Bill

On the report of the intelligence and security committee one can only surmise that there is something in there that that Johnson and his Brexit government would at a minimum find embarrassing.

Best to get it out there now even if it does say Putin pulled the Leaver's strings - useful idiots etc. - else Labour will pick away at it like a sore and it will be far far more damaging. 

14 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

On the report of the intelligence and security committee one can only surmise that there is something in there that that Johnson and his Brexit government would at a minimum find embarrassing.

Best to get it out there now even if it does say Putin pulled the Leaver's strings - useful idiots etc. - else Labour will pick away at it like a sore and it will be far far more damaging. 

Yeah, there is no outcome regarding the report that seems to put the Tories in a favourable light. Clearly they don't want it revealed as it will presumably be pretty damning for Johnson but by not revealing it the rumour mill will work it's magic.

Unless that is the strategy; let the rumour mill build up huge conspiracy theories so that when the real misdemeanour(s) is(are) revealed it seems positively mild compared to the more wild accusations that will inevitably be thrown around by platforms like the Canary. 

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

The problem is the right cannot stop themselves from lying - any wonder, just as with Trump, they don't want this sort of stuff out in the oen

"The former Boris Johnson aide who was behind a Facebook ad that broke the social network’s funding disclosure rules previously worked on a fake grassroots campaign pushing for a no-deal Brexit, the Guardian can reveal.

Alex Crowley, who left No 10 in September, oversaw the previous “Mainstream Network” Facebook campaign alongside employees of the lobbying firm run by Sir Lynton Crosby, the Australian political strategist who helped run the last four Conservative general election campaigns.

His new ad claimed that Labour’s tax plans would cost “an extra £214 each month” for everyone, and was posted under the name “Fair Tax Campaign”. But despite using clear political language, including the name of a political party, Facebook only became aware of the advert and removed it after being contacted by the BBC."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/05/ex-johnson-aide-behind-banned-brexit-facebook-ad-worked-on-fake-grassroots-campaign

and this is what the election will really be about, trying to combat the well organised campaign of lies and misinformation coming from the right - which has not relented since before the referendum

and those behind it are not throwing huge sums at it just to pander to the small minded bigotry of the brexit nutters 

their stupidity will be swept aside just as it was with the DUP and farmers in the midwest, USA

Draining the swamp continues!

Philip Hammond has announced he will stand down at the next election, telling his constituents he cannot stand against the Conservative Party but is not allowed to run as a Tory either.

The former chancellor had the Conservative whip removed after he voted against the Government for the Benn Act, which required Boris Johnson to request an extension to Article 50 from the EU.

Although some ejected Tories have been allowed to return to the party's benches, Mr Hammond has not.

In a letter to his constituents in Runnymede and Weybridge, Mr Hammond said while he was "aggrieved" and "saddened" to find himself unable to contest his seat as a Conservative MP, he still supported the party and would not run against it as an Independent.

21 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Draining the swamp continues!

Philip Hammond has announced he will stand down at the next election, telling his constituents he cannot stand against the Conservative Party but is not allowed to run as a Tory either.

The former chancellor had the Conservative whip removed after he voted against the Government for the Benn Act, which required Boris Johnson to request an extension to Article 50 from the EU.

Although some ejected Tories have been allowed to return to the party's benches, Mr Hammond has not.

In a letter to his constituents in Runnymede and Weybridge, Mr Hammond said while he was "aggrieved" and "saddened" to find himself unable to contest his seat as a Conservative MP, he still supported the party and would not run against it as an Independent.

I think it was Johnson and his unwillingness to have his "fantastic" deal scrutinised that lead him to request an extension. But hey, you rewrite history, it's not like it happened a few weeks ago or anything, ffs.

I do feel that he should have spoken out a bit more forcefully about the catastrophe that no deal Brexit would have wrought on the nation, but I assume he was trying to fix things from the inside.

Now that all the moderates have been purged from the tory party we can now properly call them Blukip. Definitely not the party my grandparents and parents would have voted for.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

If Labour don't make hay with the Tory misdemeanours that are mounting ....

,as has been shown on this thread and the previous, there are those who do not take a reasoned view of things

but like the loonies in the Middle East will only accept what they are told by their 'betters'

and in the latter's place it is absolute she-ite (shi-ite ?) fed to them by well paid religious nutters, which leads those loonies having to try to defend the most absurd positions, much as with the brexiteers

a quick glance at the stuff from today where

• Johnson is trying to hide the investigations into Russian infuence in brexit 
  • the fracking ban is really only going to be for as long as it helps with the election
  • the huge sums claimed for nurseries turn out to be 8p
  • propective MPs told not to sign up to specific pledges on protecting the NHS from privatisation, trade deals or tackling climate change
  • Johnson lied to MPs that they will be given a vote on extending the Brexit transition period to avoid a crash-out no-deal at the end of 2020

and this is just the one day........the lies will continue and the thick will continue to defend those lies, however blindingly obvious that they are lies

cue RTB/Crank

6 hours ago, TCCANARY said:

Looks like JRM will be having less time in the spotlight, he's looking like a liability.

Andrew Bridgen tries to help Jacob from his well deserved kicking. Unsurprisingly it makes it worse.

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Andrew Bridgen tries to help Jacob from his well deserved kicking. Unsurprisingly it makes it worse.

here we have the 'stick insect' making yet another of his absurd bleats, and up pops anothet idiot to affirm the stupidity of Tories

" Let's hope the Tories carry on with this new approach of being honest about the level of contempt they have for the majority of the electorate. "

Anyone with the slightest idea of fire in a building will be well aware that it is the smoke that kills. Leaving an area with a window that would allow access to air to try and get downstairs with no knowledge of what was below would not be thought the best idea.

Yet we have this odious cretin Rees-Mogg making out that he would have been able to escape....as he had more 'common sense' !

From the 20th floor you aresole ?

This from the man who thought foodbanks " rather uplifting" and "shows what a compassionate country we are - and their increased use is not due to austerity but " it is that people know that they are there and Labour deliberately didn't tell them."

'makes ya prahd to be a brexiteer, innit'

master knows best 🧐

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But not in the Vale of Glamorgan

"always be free"

not if the Tories get their hands on the NHS, it won't

"This poll shows clearly that the public understand just how big of a threat a US trade deal is to our NHS. And it shows that they’re firmly against the idea that our NHS could be sold off bit by bit to Donald Trump and American private healthcare giants.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/almost-half-of-brits-think-johnson-is-lying-about-protecting-nhs-from-trump/28/10/

Can you trust Johnson ?

Ask the DUP, ask his family or even ask his ex-wife. If they can't, why should you ?