Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

So No Deal !!

About as likely as this being an effective method of getting knocked up

Image result for bless him for trying

Edited by kick it off
  • Haha 1

Labour once more being the adults - although the right wing owned press will say otherwise: 

" On Saturday, this House emphatically rejected the prime minister’s deal. Tonight, the House has refused to be bounced into debating a hugely significant piece of legislation in just two days with barely any notice and analysis of the economic impact of this bill.

The prime minister is the author of his own misfortune. So I make this offer to him tonight.

Work with us, all of us to agree a reasonable timetable, and I suspect this House will vote to debate, scrutinise and, I hope, commend the detail of this bill. That would be the sensible way forward, and that is the offer I make on behalf of the opposition tonight " 

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

This is a guesstimate from the FT's George Parker, who has a reputation for cautious commonsense analysis:

A wild guess at what happens next: @BorisJohnson wins second reading, MPs who feel guilty about backing the deal then block programme motion; EU grants extension of a few weeks. Johnson accepts (and doesn't pull bill). Brexit happens. No election till 2020. Lab changes leader.

EU leaders (bearing in mind that they cannot be certain of how 27 heads of government will vote, however much they predict this or that on an extension) have already indicated they would be open to a short extension.

If Johnson does win the second-reading vote that will have considerable symbolic power, being the first time MPs have voted for some kind of Brexit, however vague in detail, as opposed to continually voting against but then failing to vote for any alternative, which is an increasingly untenable position.

The significance of that should not be underestimated. Once voted for MPs will find it hard not to vote for again. And if there is an election Johnson will campaign as the PM who did what May could not, and got a deal approved in a vote, only for rebel MPs to block it with yet another manoeuvre.

We will probably see soon what Johnson intends to do, but one idea floated by George Parker is that instead of dying in  a ditch immediately he will accept a short extension delay of a week or  so on the understanding that the EU will not agree to any further extensions. Corbyn's stance seems at first glance to be not unhelpful to that idea.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Well Corbyn's position will depend on what he thinks is an acceptable alternative timeframe and economic analysis to being

"  bounced into debating a hugely significant piece of legislation in just two days with barely any notice and analysis of the economic impact of this bill " 

that's a very reasonable position - and the normal way any government and opposition run the country -  Boris running off to Brussels and saying "give us one more week" is not. We still don't know what is in the "deal" as has been pointed out earlier. 

Edited by Surfer

I dislike both immensely, but anybody trolling Rees Mogg is fine in my book.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

one idea floated by George Parker is that instead of dying in  a ditch immediately he will accept a short extension delay of a week or  so on the understanding that the EU will not agree to any further extensions. Corbyn's stance seems at first glance to be not unhelpful to that idea.

I'd rather he died in a ditch. I'm even generous enough to offer to help him dig it.

Is this a case of "if you won't play by my rules, I'm taking the ball home!"   

So they just want to run the clock to minimize any scrutiny of the Bill before a 3rd Reading?

" The leader of the Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg, is on his feet setting out how the government intends to proceed. He tells MPs there will be a debate on the Queen’s Speech on Wednesday and Thursday and that the Commons will not sit on Friday. " 

Edited by Surfer

Thank goodness we are going to have the debates on the queen's speech tomorrow and Thursday. So important that parliament needed to be prorogued for 877 years but mysteriously not yet even bothered to be debated... almost like it was a scam or something.

Realistically, these are more votes that the govt may well lose.

Edited by kick it off

Just now, Herman said:

It does make you wonder why this "government"  doesn't want any scrutiny?😉

There has been at least a year of scrutiny. They were only trying to delay so Boris will now invoke No Deal.   Funny to hear the opposition getting irate at what they have achieved.... IE No Deal 

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

and you're still falling for it... LOL

We will see but some awkward people may well be in for a shock.

Just now, paul moy said:

There has been at least a year of scrutiny. They were only trying to delay so Boris will now invoke No Deal.   Funny to hear the opposition getting irate at what they have achieved.... IE No Deal 

I repeat my offer of a loser leaves the forum bet - If we leave with no deal, I will leave the forum for good. If we don't then you do the same.

Or can you still not find your balls?

Just now, paul moy said:

We will see but some awkward people may well be in for a shock.

Some thick people certainly will be. Hope it doesn't hit you too hard.

At least there were 322 MP who don't sign-off blank cheques. Fraudsters rejoice though -  there were 308 MPs who do which I guess is a fair representation of the percentage of gullible mugs in the general population.

Edited by Yellow Fever

4 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Thanks Bill.

Although you have different political viewpoints I wonder if you realise how much your personality bears a striking similarity to Boris Johnson's. You know the sort of thing, disrespectful to other viewpoints, belittling, arrogant, sarcastic. Need I go on?  

yes, please do you

as missed out .............................'all ways getting it right' ☺️

(and stuff Kipling's If)

NO DEAL guys. Mogg is clear that timetable cannot be met and Boris DID NOT request an extension.   So funny !!!!

No Deal is better than a Bad Deal....... PHEEEEEEEEwWWWWW that was close.... LOLLLLLLLL

Edited by paul moy

😛

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Would at least be a start if the Bill was passed. May well be a hollow victory though.

But would be nice for us both to be proved right in our predictions from a long time ago,  that a WA would be approved..........😉

shame, you lost again

you'd be better to read up first next time

before spouting more of you worthless guff on here 😫

12 minutes ago, paul moy said:

NO DEAL guys. Mogg is clear that timetable cannot be met and Boris DID NOT request an extension.   So funny !!!!

No Deal is better than a Bad Deal....... PHEEEEEEEEwWWWWW that was close.... LOLLLLLLLL

I thought you were still looking for your balls.... Put up or shut up, you're boring. You either believe this wholeheartedly and accept my bill (on first reading) or you don't have the courage of your convictions, just like those spineless tossers you keep espousing.