Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

If the DUP don't come on board then it will fail. If they agree then I imagine the vote would be very close; Too close to call. One factor that could swing the vote Johnson's way would be if the EU makes it plain that it is either this deal or a No-Deal. If there ever was a chance of the EU agreeing to another extension for more talks then the events of the last few days have definitely ended that. An extension now would only be for a general election.

what ! ! !

even if the DUP backed it Berie would still be 40 votes behind

and given how the ERG takes the same line as the DUP I cannot see them accepting NI as good as remaining in the EU

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Looks like Arlene will not only be wearig baggy draws for her next visit to Downing St but also taking a carrier bag.

I think she'll see it as 30 pieces of Silver...so no.

19 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

For those of you thinking otherwise my IQ is 125 =above average !

https://www.mensa.org.uk/workout

TRY IT

You missed a decimal point.

By the way, I just clicked that link and it doesn't give you your IQ as a result, merely a % of correct answers (100%, thanks for asking). It looks like a data-mining operation, or at least a marketing tool; they make it incredibly easy and tell you you've scored well (you did get 100%, didn't you?!) so that the user thinks, "Wow, I'm actually really clever, maybe I should go for a proper, paid-for Mensa test.

But you worked all that out for yourself, didn't you?

Edited by canarydan23
  • Haha 2

So both sides have 'played out a draw' so as to claim that 'they tried'

and at some point the numpties will have this explained to them

though whether they have the ability to grasp what it means is another matter :classic_blink:

14 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You missed a decimal point.

By the way, I just clicked that link and it doesn't give you your IQ as a result, merely a % of correct answers (100%, thanks for asking). It looks like a data-mining operation, or at least a marketing tool; they make it incredibly easy and tell you you've scored well (you did get 100%, didn't you?!) so that the user thinks, "Wow, I'm actually really clever, maybe I should go for a proper, paid-for Mensa test.

But you worked all that out for yourself, didn't you?

you did not take the Mensa test, go for the full test (it costs £24.95 )

Edited by SwindonCanary

13 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think she'll see it as 30 pieces of Silver...so no.

Yeh

Hypothetically,putting the election or a second referendum point to one side, I wonder what would happen if a member state decided to veto an extension leaving no deal, the deal or revoke as the ony three options left to parliament.How would they vote.

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

you did not take the Mensa test, go for the full test (it costs)

I did actually, back when I was in school, but as the rule of 3 applies to declared IQ results on the internet (divide the claimed IQ by three to get a more accurate result), I won't be divulging my score.

So at least that's one of us who has actually done a Mensa test.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yeh

Hypothetically,putting the election or a second referendum point to one side, I wonder what would happen if a member state decided to veto an extension leaving no deal, the deal or revoke as the ony three options left to parliament.How would they vote.

I think the chances of someone vetoing have increased. After all, there is no more the EU can offer that would make a difference, and there is no guarantee an election would change the parliamentary arithmetic enough to make a very different kind of deal - the UK staying in a CU for example - feasible. If it came to it, between those three current options, a guess would be this deal. Between No-Deal and Revoke, Revoke.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Correct me if I'm wrong. So we have got rid of the back stop but part of Britain will remain in certain laws of EU. 

So we won't be leaving the EU on 31 October.

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think the chances of someone vetoing have increased. After all, there is no more the EU can offer that would make a difference, and there is no guarantee an election would change the parliamentary arithmetic enough to make a very different kind of deal - the UK staying in a CU for example - feasible.

just as the chances of a piano falling on your head have if you turn on the radio and a piano is playing 😂

10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think the chances of someone vetoing have increased. After all, there is no more the EU can offer that would make a difference, and there is no guarantee an election would change the parliamentary arithmetic enough to make a very different kind of deal - the UK staying in a CU for example - feasible.

The EU want a deal for sure. Yes no endless extension but add in ref which will bring closure and no problem.

15 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm pleased we've come to an agreement, but we really need to see the deal in print.

If I recall correctly SwindonCanary you were quite critical of Mays deal and were against the £39b heading to the EU

Curious on your thoughts on this one

So the DUP, normally likely to vote with the Tories, representing at best 850,000 people, even allowing those under 18 to be considered, may well be able to thwart Brexit whereas MP's, representing many millions, are pilloried and called Marxists, traitors, self centred and undemocratic.

And please don't accuse Corbyn of being the same. He is in opposition and likely to do anything to make things uncomfortable for the Government. It is his job to do that.

8 minutes ago, ThorpeCanary said:

If I recall correctly SwindonCanary you were quite critical of Mays deal and were against the £39b heading to the EU

Curious on your thoughts on this one

I was against the backstop from the start, I could see we would continue to pay money into the EU. Like I wrote we have to see the deal Unlike Corbyn  who's said he's voting against it before even knowing what the deal is

Edited by SwindonCanary

Unlike Corbyn  who's said he's voting against it before even knowing what the deal is

Get real man. Opponent on the ropes and you start punching yourself?

' So UK authorities will apply UK tariffs to countries coming from third countries as long as goods entering NI are not at risk of entering the single market. If they are at risk of entering the single market, EU tariffs will apply. "

Of course EU tarrifs will apply

the very idea that stuff could be smuggled across the border is ridiculous. who on earth would want to do that or even think of that

I mean, it's not as if that has ever happened before 😆

a financial god send for nationalist paramilitaries

and this what we know so far

" Commitment to “single customs territory” has been scrapped, confirming the need for checks at the border. Plan is that goods will not attract tariffs (as part of free trade agreement) but only if they satisfy “rules of origin” checks. This will make some UK/EU trade more costly. "

" Political Declaration is out. Much of it is unchanged but gone is commitment to “a trading relationship on goods that is as close as possible”. Instead a “free trade agreement”. This matters. Higher trade barriers = greater economic cost.

' Commitments around fishing access are unchanged. UK will be “independent coastal state” but commits to an agreement offering “access to waters and quotas”. At least 7 EU states fish in UK waters. EU unlikely to agree to a trade deal unless its happy with ongoing access. '

border checks, higher costs to UK and EU access to UK fishing - and the brexit thickos think it is a reat idea

you have been sold down the river for the benefit of Johnson.......nothing less

not so much stabbed in the back but a thrust straight at your heart

So a change of name, from May to Johnson, on the front page of this deal is all it is. Will people fall for it?? 

21 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The EU want a deal for sure. Yes no endless extension but add in ref which will bring closure and no problem.

they've already got a deal, as has the UK

pandering to a few nutcass might go with the job

but that doesn't extend to ending that deal

I said it on a different thread, but for Republicans this is a huge step towards achieving their objective of a unified Ireland. Gerry Adams' answer was quite telling when he was asked his opinion on  a customs border in the Irish Sea, "We could live with that".

It pushes Northern Ireland inexplicably closer to Ireland and further from Great Britain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

So a change of name, from May to Johnson, on the front page of this deal is all it is. Will people fall for it?? 

actually it is far more than that, as what the cranks objecetd to has merely got worse

a border, the UK still collecting tax for the EU, costly tarrifs, the UK having to collect tax for the EU EU still access for fishing and an a renewal of smuggling.... and almost wholesale surrender

even Fartrage can see it is a con, sellout, betrayal of what they were told

any wonder the bigots have now melted away after seeing what it really amounts to

21 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I was against the backstop from the start, I could see we would continue to pay money into the EU. Like I wrote we have to see the deal Unlike Corbyn  who's said he's voting against it before even knowing what the deal is

You support the Surrender Deal?!

I bet Arlene rues the day she ever went into coalition (confidence and supply) with the Tories.  I see they've (the DUP) formally just said they will vote AGAINST the deal on Saturday. Desperate days for Boris and Brexit.

The Letter awaits....

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 hour ago, Bill said:

oh dear

EU regulations will apply to all goods in Northern Ireland. This means checks at the border.

NI will remain in the UK’s customs territory

on VAT, the plan will maintain the integrity of the single market

it's far worse than May's deals !

and the UK will maintain a border between the two Irelands and collect VAT to hand over to the EU

Not quite -

EU rules on Value Added Tax and excise duties will apply in Northern Ireland, with the UK responsible for their collection. However, revenues derived will be retained by the UK.

26 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

liar, you supported May's deal

nothing is being 'paid in' the UK is simply honouring it's legal commitments

within minutes the VAT situation was made apparentit was going to be voted against

so stop keep 'acting' like a thicko

Don't see this deal being passed regardless of what it says tbh. The opposition have their knifes sharpe and have the chance to get power and further their own agendas.

Hung parliment in action - Suspectible to legal challenges etc

Edited by KiwiScot

8 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

Not quite -

EU rules on Value Added Tax and excise duties will apply in Northern Ireland, with the UK responsible for their collection. However, revenues derived will be retained by the UK.

I wondered who would be the first to spot that 😊

I stand corrected

5 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Don't see this deal being passed regardless of what it says tbh. The opposition have their knifes sharpe and have the chance to get power and further their own agendas.

Hung parliment in action - Suspectible to legal challenges etc

not neccesarily simply down to a hung parliament as May's deals were rejected by government MPs