Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

41 minutes ago, Herman said:

LOL. None of that is true.You are being scammed again.🤣😀

You'll never accept the truth because to do that you'll have to admit to yourself that you have been conned and that the people you have put your faith in are conmen, liars and very incompetent politicians.

My advice for people that are in a hole as deep as you. Stop digging deeper and ask people for a ladder.

Are you p*ssed, Herbal?

On 27/04/2019 at 06:40, Herman said:

No, I barely drink. It helps for clarity. Try it. Or reading. 😀

Hey, Herby -- want some clarity on proceedings? Pour yourself a drink and read the following:

yg-28-04-19.jpg?w=540&ssl=1

We are now in the kind of territory that we have not seen since the days of the SDP. The Brexit Party (28%) is polling ahead of Labour (22%) and polling more than double the vote share of the Tories (13%). The Tory party chairman Brandon Lewis was pleading this morning for Tories to vote Tory.  This is the high price of failing to deliver Brexit.

Got a way with words our Pat:

And he's bang on in everything he says 👍

brex30.jpg?w=540&ssl=1

The Brexit Party has continued its impressive rise, opening a nine point lead over the Labour Party and hitting 30% for the first time in YouGov’s latest European Election poll. All Remain parties other than the Lib Dems are falling. With their established ground operation and much higher recognition as a pro-Remain party, Vince Cable’s has-beens look set to beat upstarts Change UK on polling day. Embarrassing…

UKIP won these elections in 2014 with just 26.6% of the vote, on a much lower turnout than expected this time around. Turns out people really don’t like having their democratic votes ignored…

😎👍

brxp-parl.jpg?resize=540,334&ssl=1

The Brexit Party this morning announced that it is now actively recruiting new MP candidates for a future general election. This morning it launched a new section of its website for potential candidates to apply. They’re charging £100 per application for admin and vetting…

Also revealed at today’s eventful press conference…

• The Brexit Party pledge card
  • There have been an extra 3,000 registered supporter signups overnight, taking the total number to 88,000
  • The party will push for a WTO Brexit
  • They will demand Brexit Party MEPs “have a major role in the Brexit negotiations”
  • There has been serious interest by “local and national figures” in standing for the party in the Peterborough by-election. Documentation needs to be in by 16:00 on Thursday…
  • Farage himself won’t stand in Peterborough
  • 90% of Brexit Party funding has come from donations of £25 and under
  • Farage is now in talks with Tory donors about funding a Brexit Party general election campaign
  • Arron Banks has not given any money to the Brexit Party

👍

A good article by Lewis Goodall:

Brexit: The conditions are ripe for the biggest backlash imaginable

Lewis Goodall says Britain's true populist revolt is yet to come - even if Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn strike a Brexit deal.

By Lewis Goodall, political correspondent

On an unseasonably chilly May afternoon, Nigel Farage looks out at the rows of empty seats at Fylde AFC, a Lancashire football club, the site of the latest of his Brexit Party rallies (eight and counting).

He knows the stands will soon be filled with over 1,600 paying punters who will come to cheer, to jeer and to hear not only from the man himself - now nothing short of a political folk hero - but a full slate of Brexit Party candidates, including Ann Widdecombe, a Tory of five decades' standing.

Mr Farage is pleased with his latest signing. Chuckling, he reflects to me on some of the lessons he's learnt during his shortish sabbatical from the political fray: "I've spent a lot of time in America recently. They're always a few years ahead of us over there. It's certainly taught me that politics should be far less drab."

The still nascent Brexit Party may be many things, but drab it is not. I have written before about the quality of its branding and social media output, the shrewdness of its operation, the foresight of its strategy. But what became clearer to me, standing in that football stadium, is the pedigree of its politics.

I've never been to a Trump rally - but I imagine, from everything I've seen and heard - that what I experienced on the Fylde wasn't a million miles away.

The vocabulary and pall of its supporters are the obvious signifiers: I was assailed repeatedly by the crowd for being part of the "fake news" media.

Several attendees told me our political leaders should be prosecuted or worse; many said they were traitors and that they and their supporters in other parties were not "true patriots".

At the mention from the stage of Mrs May's name, a smattering of simultaneous "lock her up!" calls spontaneously emerged. The anger was real; the nervous sadness and bewilderment over the state of country too, ubiquitous. Many of the hallmarks of recent American political culture there for all to see.

But the Brexit Party follows in the wake of a politics as set by the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in more subtle and substantial ways too.

Much ink has been spilt over the past three years which says that Brexit was the harbinger of populism in the UK, indeed the precursor of a wider populism across the West.

I wonder whether if, when the history of this period is written, the referendum itself might be considered as mere prologue to the main populist act; that ultimately, the referendum will be best understood as the apotheosis of a eurosceptic battle, not as the populist war itself.

After all, euroscepticism has long been a deep vein of British political life. Brexit wasn't, as the lazy caricature so often goes, a populist revolt of the working classes. It was a narrowly won but solid rejection of the European Union by leafy Hampshire and Surrey commuter towns along with Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire pit villages - a rejection which was based on accumulated decades of political activity and sustained suspicion towards the union's political legitimacy among the general population.

It was not so much people versus elites but a clear coalition of wealthy and poor, connected and isolated, northern and southern. Far from an outsider clique, its campaign leaders were senior cabinet ministers.

Moreover, it was if anything an expression of faith in the strength and durability of the British political system and in its leaders.

Voters were certain that their wishes in the referendum would be carried out without too much difficulty: I lost count of the numbers of voters who, during the referendum and since, dismissed concerns about our withdrawal, not only from the EU but of its myriad political, economic and social auspices, with a variant of the following reply: "I'm sure they can sort it out."

In other words the Brexit vote, as well as a cri de coeur for Westminster to listen, was also an affirmation of faith by the British public in the fundamental competence of the British state to prosecute even the most difficult political outcomes.

Contrast that with the malaise of today. Remainers and Leavers alike despair at the paralysis which has enveloped our political system. Faith in our democratic institutions and its custodians has never been lower. In the maelstrom of the last few months, virtually every organ of British politics has been completely discredited.

The opposition, the usual beneficiary of democratic discontent, is considered as culpable as the government.

A substantial proportion of the population believe that those same institutions in which they put their faith in 2016 have been knowingly sabotaged: that democracy itself is being subverted for nefarious ends, and worse, the perpetrators have done so as the world watches and in so doing humiliated a once great nation.

In other words, the conditions are ripe and the stage is set for the biggest backlash imaginable. Britain in 2019 is a petri dish of populism - prime for a revolt as big as that seen in Washington three years ago and much bigger than the British referendum result just before.

The Brexit Party's message is simple and familiar: they took your country from you, now they've taken your democracy too. And "they" are the elites, those who hate the culture of the people, the values of the people, the democracy of the people.

Person after person at Brexit Party rallies volunteer that word to me when I ask why they're there. Given every political actor is tainted, those people need a new vehicle to restore it.

Enter Mr Farage, who is telling that story but also one even more potent and appealing to a country bruised and battered by its newfound political impotence: that it isn't the inherent difficulty with the decision the public took which is the problem, but rather the people carrying it out.

That is potent - and potent because no one else is telling an alternative which competes. In other words it is this: the carnage to our democratic institutions that Brexit has wrought and elites' handling of it, not the referendum itself, which promises to auger a new age of British Trump-esque populism.

It is this battle which Mr Farage believes can reshape British politics and British voting intentions and threaten to destroy the grip of the two main parties on Westminster. Indeed, it already is.

How else can a working class crowd of voters on the Fylde, in Newport, in Durham, cheer figures once associated with the economic and Thatcherite right, like Farage, Widdecombe and multimillionaire Richard Tice? These are people for whom such places would once have had nothing but contempt. But now they are cheered as the true and authentic voice of ordinary people, of "real" people; politics is regearing along new, jagged and unpredictable axes.

And that is why if Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn genuinely believe that the answer to their problems is a deal hatched between them, then they are deluded. For a proportion of the British public, to believe in Brexit is now to believe in country, to vote for the Brexit Party is to vote for country; the harder the Brexit, the greater the victory for country.

Any deal will be an example of the very humiliation which drives them. There is no way that Mrs May's deal, or a deal cooked up with Mr Corbyn, will assuage that anger or nullify Farage - nor will it have the necessary legitimacy in the eyes of the public, to create a new and enduring settlement. It might have done in January - it would not now.

Indeed, now it would serve only to illustrate this movement's basic beliefs and vindicate its message: that politics is an undemocratic cabal. As one woman said to me, calmly but firmly: "If they do that, we will have a peaceful revolution in this country. You'll be seeing me, seeing all of us in the House of Commons."

Mr Farage has shown that he understands this new age of fury better than anyone. Like him, I've spent time in America too. Ten years ago, I worked in Washington DC; I saw the anger of the then fledgling Tea Party, I remember thinking how visceral and coarse American politics seemed.

I reflected then how different and genteel things seemed back home; no longer.

The Brexit Party is capturing the force of this new politics, it is stoking its heat, it is riding its energy.

As I stood in that windy football stand, I could only conclude that this wasn't the end of something, the dying throes of the Brexit story: but rather its beginning.

You should be more concerned about sneering, aloof, arrogant elitist, EU fanatical liars like Gavin Esler, Hermski:

Gavin Esler’s big moment on Politics Live today severely backfired after he accused the Brexit Party’s Martin Daubney of lying over whether Esler had called Brexiteers “village idiots”. Which he had.

Even Will Self-style theatrical finger jabbing couldn’t save the Brexit-deranged former BBC presenter from a cringe-worthy retreat. Glorious television…

Esler also tried to go after the Brexit Party for not revealing one of their donors, conveniently forgetting that his own party hasn’t revealed any of its own donations either since the end of March. Change UK are withholding publishing any donations they’ve received in the last two months until after the European Elections. Guido looks forward to seeing who else has given to the hapless Tiggers…

Esler personifies the smug, self-appointed, metropolitan liberal elite that characterises so much of Remain and that ordinary people have come to despise.

Please give him as much air time as possible 😀👍

Former Conservative backer Jeremy Hosking revealed as £200,000 donor to Nigel Farage's Brexit Party

Jeremy-Hosking_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqgjhKaeO

The first of many I would say 👍

😎👍

Nigel brought the house down on last night’s Question Time in his first answer. The whole episode isn’t one to miss, with Amber Rudd making the mistake of bizarrely attacking the readership of the respected flagship ConservativeHome website and nineteen year old Emily putting Anna Soubry in her place over a second referendum. Great telly… 👍

😀😎🤩🙌👇

Screenshot-2019-05-11-17.36.50.png?resiz

New Opinium polling for the European Elections conducted on 8th May puts the Brexit Party 13 points ahead of Labour, on an astonishing 34%. Meanwhile ChUK are now polling lower than the SNP… 🤣

Astonishingly, Opinium found that the Brexit Party is now just one point behind the Tories, poised to take second place. This should be terrifying reading for all Tory MPs… 😎

Screenshot-2019-05-11-17.36.50-1.png?res

Brexiteers ---  🍻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿😀

Remaniacs --  💊🇪🇺😩

🤣

3 hours ago, Herman said:

When even the S*n thinks you're a bit of a ****, it may be a time to change your ways.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9049369/nigel-farage-fled-driver-crashed-13-month-old-toddler/

I don't think Sir Nigel of Farage should change anything (except his pants & socks on a daily basis 😜) because he seems to be riding a crest of a wave with the Brexit Party.

Do you think the SUN article will lose him and TBP European election votes?

"No Answers" Nigel.

Watching him and there are no answers, just shouty distractions, claims of bias and getting the hump when his words are played back to him. It is Trumpism at its purest. And millions of mugs are falling for it, which is a sad indictment of my fellow countrymen.

You deserve the politicians you get.

Edited by Herman

10 hours ago, Herman said:

"No Answers" Nigel.

Watching him and there are no answers, just shouty distractions, claims of bias and getting the hump when his words are played back to him. It is Trumpism at its purest. And millions of mugs are falling for it, which is a sad indictment of my fellow countrymen.

You deserve the politicians you get.

But Farage did answer Marrs pathetic and completely irrelevant questions, Herman.

Marr had a question sheet designed to make Farage look like an extremist --- “Do you still believe that worrying about global warming is the stupidest thing in human history?” - Farage replied “I believe that if we decide in this country to tax ourselves to the hilt, to put hundreds of thousands of people out of work in manufacturing industries, given that we produce less than 2% of global CO2, that isn’t terribly intelligent.”

Good answer. Sensible answer.

Then another meaningless question -- Marr questions Farage’s supposedly controversial views on gun control --- An issue of zero interest to anyone in the UK.

Then the question about Vladimir Putin, ffs! An extra stupid question inasmuch as it already answered itself with Farage having previously said he didn't like Putin as a human being.

Then the HIV question where Farage said again that he thinks the NHS is there for the British people -- Again, right answer. Sensible answer.

There wasn't a single question about the Brexit Party.

Farage totally destroyed Marr who treated the former like the BBC treats all politicians to the right of Lenin -- with utter contempt.

BBC-dominated political culture has been able to ridicule and marginalise Farage in the past, but it can’t anymore, because it has lost its power and prestige -- The mood has shifted and the people you call mugs can see through the Lefty bias that only a pr@t like you and your ilk still foolishly claim doesn't exist.

As you know, I've been calling it the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation for years -- Well now, millions of people are cottoning on and they've had enough and finally, belatedly, coming round to realising that the BBC is not their benign Auntie friend but very much part of the problem.

The sad indictment isn't the fact that right-minded people are finally coming to their senses -- The sad indictment is there's still people like you who continue to live in denial for the sake of their failed ideologies.  

And no, one doesn't always deserve the politicians one gets: I've never voted Labour, but I got 10 years of Bliar and 3 years of Broon.

Has he set up a plan, a manifesto, a road map or anything of significance that will help the country leave the EU?? 

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Has he set up a plan, a manifesto, a road map or anything of significance that will help the country leave the EU?? 

Well, there's the thing, Herman, Marr didn't press Farage on the questions you raise because he was too busy with the attempted character assassination of the latter -- Failed miserably didn't he 😀

Farage has said on numerous occasions, and he said it again yesterday, that he wants a free trade deal (Capitulation, appeaser Theresa has never asked for a free trade deal because she has always wanted to remain)

Farage has always said, and he said it again yesterday, the only way to deliver the democratic will of the people is to leave on WTO terms and the EU will be banging the door down requesting a sensible tariff-free deal -- Leaving on WTO terms is the only way to deliver the democratic will of the people and yes, the EU would be banging the door down for a sensible tariff-free deal.

It's absolute nonsense to say that one of the biggest economies in the world could not survive if we left the EU -- The truth is and always has been, they need us more than we need them.

Of course you're going to disagree with everything I've stated above because you pretty much disagreed with everything I stated in the EU thread, but I must urge you to at least recognise the truth despite your political beliefs -- We're going to wind up repeating ourselves as with the EU thread otherwise.

This isn't just about leaving the EU anymore, it's also about democracy and the rising popularity of the Brexit Party confirms that.

brexpoll-e1557735673872.jpg?resize=540,3

The latest YouGov poll for the European elections shows support for the Brexit Party growing even stronger  up 4% from their previous position. Meanwhile Labour is collapsing and the Tories are almost down to single figures, and the Lib Dems have continued to squeeze CHUK to irrelevance. Since the European Elections have been held under proportional representation, no party has ever got more than 33.5% of the vote. The Brexit Party look like they could smash that record…