Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

Dean Ashton

Just watched Quest from Wednesday night.When is Ashton going to give city credit, heard him on talkSPORT a few times as well he couldn’t wait to get out of city. As for his comments he is about as boring as watching paint dry

I was surprised by his criticisms of the celebrations after the 2nd goal. As an ex player he must have known how much it meant with so little time remaining. 

Yes, I thought his criticism of the celebration was a bit ridiculous. It was so obvious he'd just watched the highlights too, not even a pretence that he was aware of the whole game's picture. And I though his criticism of Krul for the first goal was harsh.

Other than that though he did a grand job. Lol.

35 minutes ago, Kathy said:

I was surprised by his criticisms of the celebrations after the 2nd goal. As an ex player he must have known how much it meant with so little time remaining. 

I must admit that watching the game I was surprised at the incredible looking celebrations where everyone went over to the sidelines and players/subs/trainers etc jumping all over each other after the second goal.  It was dramatic and it was fantastiuc to get those two goals, but it was only 2-1 and I can only think that the euphoria was there because we had turned the game round so dramatically - but it was only 2-1....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Are you kidding? We’d just scored twice to convert what was looking to be a disappointing defeat, into a leading position. This via 2 goals within a few minutes of each other, in the last stages of the game, towards the end of an incredible season with the title in our sights, when every win is bringing the dream that bit closer, that bit more quickly.

Not celebrate wildly? “You cannot be serious!”

If you were, I’d have to wonder to what set of standards in your mind you hold players and fans - i.e. the people who make football a reality. If I were to be uncharitable I’d fear it might be a purely theoretical, academically generated framework with little relation or relevance to football - or human life - as they are actually lived.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I must admit that watching the game I was surprised at the incredible looking celebrations where everyone went over to the sidelines and players/subs/trainers etc jumping all over each other after the second goal.  It was dramatic and it was fantastiuc to get those two goals, but it was only 2-1 and I can only think that the euphoria was there because we had turned the game round so dramatically - but it was only 2-1....

I feel sorry for anyone that didn’t celebrate or feel the emotion at that moment as much as everyone inside Carrow rd did. You really do seem to take everything too seriously. I lived in the moment as did all the players and the coaching staff and every fan in the ground. Regardless of what happened after or what happens for the rest of the season, it was bloomin’ marvellous.

(A goal I celebrated almost more than any I ever have was Holtys belter against Man U. The fact Giggs went on to win it for them doesn’t matter at all, it was a beautiful goal that created a beautiful moment that has stuck in my mind ever since)

• Like 1

Whaaaa, it was relief more than anything I think, an outburst of both shock and relief that drove the celebrations... and why the hell not... also, it runs down the clock a little bit... what a shame that we let them back in at the bitter end, but hey... I'd have taken 2-2 when it was 1-0 with 4 minutes to go.

Dean Ashton was great for us in the prem but he pretty much downed tools after that.

He had one good game, scored a hat trick but was hardly worthy of hall of fame status.

And reading celebrated wildly too but I haven't seen them criticised.

55 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Bit surprised Dean Ashton doesn't get it considering how much time he spends in the city.

If he'd have been in the crowd at Carrow Road he'd have got it. Once I'd stopped jumping around like a fool I felt physically sick from the overdose of adrenaline to my system. And I was just watching, so I get why the players reacted that way. And they actually calmed themselves down well afterwards, at least until that very last kick.

(If Jordan's header had been better people wouldn't be finding fault in the minutiae, but that's football; hopefully the amazing team spirit will be present again at Wigan on Sunday and help us towards the finish line.)

Edited by Grando

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

There was nothing whatsoever unusual or over the top about those celebrations, given the position we are currently in and the 88 minutes leading up to that goal, it was a huge huge moment. 

Don’t recall you complaining about our celebrations either during the Millwall game, Bolton game, Forest game, Blackburn game, literally multiple games this season. Not to mention previous years where pandemonium has followed a crucial goal.

And by the way, all of the goals where the craziest celebrations have followed have been when we take the lead (I.e one goal lead), because that is when the tide of the game has turned? What on earth are you talking about ‘it was only 2-1’? That’s precisely why the celebrations were wild, we went from 1 to 3 points in that moment. Did you see the Derby game under Lambert, taking a 3-2 lead? The Portsmouth game when we secured promotion? 1-goal lead... 

It’s as if you don’t even like football!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

Obviously understand the reaction of the players and the bench. But we have been caught with sucker punches with conceding within a minute of scoring important goals. Fortunately conceding here 5  minutes or so but remember Printer scoring at Barclay to take the lead to give up lead seconds later. Think we ought to act more professional and concentrate and enjoy victories on the final whistle.

29 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

There was nothing whatsoever unusual or over the top about those celebrations, given the position we are currently in and the 88 minutes leading up to that goal, it was a huge huge moment. 

Don’t recall you complaining about our celebrations either during the Millwall game, Bolton game, Forest game, Blackburn game, literally multiple games this season. Not to mention previous years where pandemonium has followed a crucial goal.

And by the way, all of the goals where the craziest celebrations have followed have been when we take the lead (I.e one goal lead), because that is when the tide of the game has turned? What on earth are you talking about ‘it was only 2-1’? That’s precisely why the celebrations were wild, we went from 1 to 3 points in that moment. Did you see the Derby game under Lambert, taking a 3-2 lead? The Portsmouth game when we secured promotion? 1-goal lead... 

It’s as if you don’t even like football!

It was crazy and I understand why and of course I loved the fact that we had turned the match round. But coming down from such a high and getting your focus back is difficult - especially against an opposition who had already proved they could score against us. We are a young side and sometimes that shows, but I think the team learned a valuable lesson against Reading and if we are in that position again, there will be a bit more concentration showed.

Tiredness and the occasion and the run of the ball all played a part, but that goal could have been prevented and that is something that can be improved. 

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It was crazy and I understand why and of course I loved the fact that we had turned the match round. But coming down from such a high and getting your focus back is difficult - especially against an opposition who had already proved they could score against us. We are a young side and sometimes that shows, but I think the team learned a valuable lesson against Reading and if we are in that position again, there will be a bit more concentration showed.

Tiredness and the occasion and the run of the ball all played a part, but that goal could have been prevented and that is something that can be improved. 

I'm going out on a limb here and saying- that goal had nothing to do with how we celebrated.

• Like 1

What a week this is turning out to be! :classic_wacko:

The Reading equalizer was over 10 minutes after we scored our 2nd. We didn't go to pot in those 10 minutes, they had one freaking shot. Rhodes missing his header doesn't sound like we were under the cosh and not being composed. The over the top(?) celebrations are a PERFECT way of getting the excitement out of your system, and waste a few seconds before re-composing your self before a restart.

You even said, LDC, that the run of the ball, tiredness and the occasion played a part yet you focus on what you perceive was down to the celebrations over 10 minutes earlier. Their equalizer came from a hopeful pass that went through Stiepermann's legs. 6 inches either way and this conversation would not be happening. Not everything can be explained to a definitive point, especially if it happened over 10 minutes prior. 

If you showed someone the finished stats, without telling the the score, NOBODY would have put money on a 2-2. It was just 'one of those games' , it's football, yada yada.

Edited by Crabbycanary3

14 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If you showed someone the finished stats, without telling the the score, NOBODY would have put money on a 2-2. It was just 'one of those games' , it's football, yada yada.

Sorry Crabby but you are wrong. Anybody who actually understood stats would know perfectly well that they were totally consistent with the game ending as it did, or any other result equally. 

What as in each team scored two goals so it was a draw? I'll collect my analysts fee later😎

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Sorry Crabby but you are wrong. Anybody who actually understood stats would know perfectly well that they were totally consistent with the game ending as it did, or any other result equally. 

Fascinated by this recent heel turn.

Just now, king canary said:

Fascinated by this recent heel turn.

What turn king? I'm a Thatcherite -- not for turning. Have you ever seen me say that stats are predictive? 

The emotions we have at the stadium among 27,000 football fans can't be replicated watching live TV, or highlights, or on the wireless, or via stats, or via ceefax, or via any other way we may follow our beloved club. It's why most of us go.

• Like 1

I was watching on the telly box and went absolutely mental when zimm scored, its emotion and for the players not to have that because its only 2-1 is absurd. They are only human after all and not robots. I get the impression that you've never played footy at any level lakey where scoring in a big game especially when behind is overwhelming, even more so when you are defender who gets a nose bleed in the opposition box🤪

24 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Stats as in; 74% - 26% possession, 23 shots to 4, 7 shots on target to 2, 13 corners to 2

Nice try westcoast, keep trying...........

No need Crabby, you just keep digging 🙃

Dean Ashton had the potential to be our best ever (ex) player, but in the end, he only played a smidge more games than Jens Berthel Askou, and currently has about the same relevance to Norwich as a football club.

I do wish him well in general however, because I'm not (that much of) a #@!'.

38 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The emotions we have at the stadium among 27,000 football fans can't be replicated watching live TV, or highlights, or on the wireless, or via stats, or via ceefax, or via any other way we may follow our beloved club. It's why most of us go.

That was what I was trying to get across with my post. Watching on TV was great - but from my armchair, even though I was ecstatic at the goals, even though I know how much it means, it was still surprising to see the depth of emotion after that second goal and it showed the incredible atmosphere that must have been in the stadium. I don't know if Dean Ashton was at the game or not, but if he wasn't then I can understand why he might have been surprised too. 

Criticism of the celebrations? Maybe, maybe not, but a team has to keep it's composure whatever is happening and in all the excitement and tension, we let them in at the end, so maybe there is something to learn from it. 

How much would it cost to get him an ankle transplant. £1,000,000? Worth it.

Give him the ankle of a kangaroo. He’ll kick harder than ever before. Give him a pouch too, why not?

I am willing to replace Webber as sporting director when he leaves. Blue sky thinking.