Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Let's talk about stats baby/lets talk about our XG

Here is our XG from last night...

Worth posting cosidering the amount of people saying we didn't do enough with the ball last night.

Overall we dominated in every area of the game despite not being at our best. This is dictionary definition smash and grab and 99 times out 100 we win this game.

I'm actually encouraged that we can look off the pace like we did last night yet still completely dominate and be 5 seconds away from taking all 3 points.

2019-04-10-norwich-reading.png

• Like 4

100%

We played well, completely dominated but lacked a little injection in the final third at times. But Reading know they were exceptionally lucky to grab a point - all their fans are delighted but happy to acknowledge that.

As I said in another post, another game on another night with the same performances from both sides and we win it 3 or 4-0.

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Here is our XG from last night...

Worth posting cosidering the amount of people saying we didn't do enough with the ball last night.

Overall we dominated in every area of the game despite not being at our best. This is dictionary definition smash and grab and 99 times out 100 we win this game.

I'm actually encouraged that we can look off the pace like we did last night yet still completely dominate and be 5 seconds away from taking all 3 points.

2019-04-10-norwich-reading.png

Yup, Pukki and Rhodes both missed ‘big chances’ and Norwich made chances. Reading’s formation threw Norwich initially, but they adapted. 

Reading did well in stopping Norwich produce the kind of chances they have often scored from, the cut back from the byline and stifled the normal supply lines. 

I’m not too concerned and suggestions that Farke needs to make radical changes are well OTT. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yup, Pukki and Rhodes both missed ‘big chances’ and Norwich made chances. Reading’s formation threw Norwich initially, but they adapted. 

Reading did well in stopping Norwich produce the kind of chances they have often scored from, the cut back from the byline and stifled the normal supply lines. 

I’m not too concerned and suggestions that Farke needs to make radical changes are well OTT. 

I think I'm actually quite encouraged that Reading forced us to play a way we're not totally comfortable with and we still created quite a bit.

Only thing I'd say with Farke is Vrancic should have been on earlier and should probably start Sunday. 

• Like 1

I know I keep banging on about this, but there is no mention here of the other major reason for the two dropped points -- i.e woeful defending. In terms of xG it was, as king says, classic smash & grab, but any experienced copper would mark it down as an inside job. Complete absence of danger-anticipating midfield/FB cover for the CBs for the first goal, compounded by Godfrey being "done" by Meite; everybody over-defending the 6 yard box and under-defending against midfield runners for the second goal. Will we EVER learn? 

I think it shows we need another attacking player next season (especially if/when we go up). With Pukki not firing and Buendía out we didn’t quite look right. In the prem, we’ll probably have more “frustrating” games. It’s those sort of games where you just need that flash of magic, which I think we probably do lack a little bit in depth. Rhodes for me doesn’t offer you that when he comes on (although if the wages are right I wouldn’t mind Pukki, Rhodes and one other next year).

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

I know I keep banging on about this, but there is no mention here of the other major reason for the two dropped points -- i.e woeful defending. In terms of xG it was, as king says, classic smash & grab, but any experienced copper would mark it down as an inside job. Complete absence of danger-anticipating midfield/FB cover for the CBs for the first goal, compounded by Godfrey being "done" by Meite; everybody over-defending the 6 yard box and under-defending against midfield runners for the second goal. Will we EVER learn? 

Well we're doing a fairly decent job of it on balance (look at the table)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Bit OTT. It is not woeful defending at all. They scored from 2 out of just 3 moments they created across the entire match. It sounds like you think because they created a couple of opportunities we defending woefully? How good were the chances they created in comparison to ours? Not very! If we were as clinical as them we would’ve scored 6! Replay that match again and again and both of those shots easily get blocked or fly wide into safety. This is way too harsh on the team, let’s slacken off them a bit - we are top, after all.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler