Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Our run in not looking as good

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Did you miss Wednesday night?

Didn't miss Wednesday King. They had 3 shots too many !

Just now, Six Pack said:

Didn't miss Wednesday King. They had 3 shots too many !

We were absolutely camped in their half for most of the game though. You could argue the first goal came from too many being too far up the pitch.

Yes. We should have won the game. It was almost as bad as us playing Bradford in the FA cup in 76.

If we had beaten Bradford we would have made the final that year. Cos our side of the draw had lower division teams.

23 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm no less confident than before but Stoke, Wednesday and Villa are tough games. That does kind of put pressure on us to get at least 4 from Wigan and Blackburn. We're at our best when the pressure is off, when there's no expectation or we're part of a chasing pack, that's inherent to having a young team that plays the patient, technical style we do. Our game plan doesn't work when we rush things or get frustrated or lose our cool. 

If we play at or near our best for 5 games we'll do it. The key to that is Farke keeping every player calm and focused. The tension was palpable at times last night and that's after winning  8 in a row with clear daylight in front of the chasing pack. The pressure is only going to increase from this point, big test of Farke's management coming up. Hoping the crowd do their part and focus on encouraging and supporting. 

Christoph..all 5 games ahead will be tough, that means Wigan and Blackburn to. But all 46 games are tough, its a long tough marathon. And to the poster who said last nights match was a banker...no it was not. I had pointed out before that Reading had  managed to pick up 9 draws away from home this season, so a 10th for them came as no surprise to me.

Also the 2-2 against Reading should be no surprise, our home form has been built on mostly sqweezing wins from  very late in the game goals, just edging out other lowly sides like Bolton and Millwall, but on the odd occasion, such as the 4-3 loss to Derby at xmas its been the opposition thats won out. Yet again we scored twice late in the game to grab something, but  Reading managed the latest of late equaliser's, but this season at Carrow Road such things have become commonplace.

But its created one heck of a ride and entertainment in shedloads, which has been lapped up after the dourness of last season at home. Our away form though has been majestic, our  travelling fans only seeing two losses in 20 games...quite remarkable and absolutely awesome for the away fans. One things certain, we will be finishing in the top 3..im sure all of us wouldave grabbed that with both hands last Summer.

4 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

If we had beaten Bradford we would have made the final that year. Cos our side of the draw had lower division teams.

Like in '92, when we played second-division Sunderland in the semi-final? 😞

I try not to worry about failing to secure promotion or getting relegated unless we slip within THREE points reach of our biggest rival.

We currently are SEVEN clear and so we can afford to breathe easy.

However - I also don't buy into examining any of the historical precedents to find reassurances.

Each season is unique and in ours there are three sides comfortably superior to the rest and winning virtually every fixture. I genuinely don't see Leeds or Sheffield dropping many more points.

We could end up being the highest point scoring side to finish 3rd and make history. I find no comforts there!

☂️

56 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Like in '92, when we played second-division Sunderland in the semi-final? 😞

The result of the 92 semi-final was just as disappointing Wolf. But the Bradford game springs to mind as they were a 4th Division side against us from the old first Division, the game was played at CR and we had them penned inside their defensive third for the entire match. However, they broke away to score 2 goals. Similar to Reading on Wednesday 

1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

A similar path to the final happened in '78 but we won't dwell on that.

13 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

The result of the 92 semi-final was just as disappointing Wolf. But the Bradford game springs to mind as they were a 4th Division side against us from the old first Division, the game was played at CR and we had them penned inside their defensive third for the entire match. However, they broke away to score 2 goals. Similar to Reading on Wednesday 

Fair enough, thanks for the context – a bit before my time, that one! I remember the semis in 1989 and 1992 vividly, though. The 1989 one was obviously overshadowed by the tragic events unfolding at Hillsborough, but the 1992 one was as limp a performance as I could remember seeing from Norwich. We just froze with the occasion and the expectation.

1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

I don't really go along with that because there's no "sides of the draw". The draw is completely  random every round. How I understand it we wouldn't have had the same draw number as Bradford so wouldn't have had the same path in the theoretical "what would have happened draw"

As an aside I don't think we have ever beaten Bradford in the FA Cup.

Whoever messed up on the Floodlightgate saga has a lot to answer for 3 points lost to a poor side

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't really go along with that because there's no "sides of the draw". The draw is completely  random every round. How I understand it we wouldn't have had the same draw number as Bradford so wouldn't have had the same path in the theoretical "what would have happened draw"

As an aside I don't think we have ever beaten Bradford in the FA Cup.

Yes true Nigel, but whenever we get knocked out at the business end of the cup I always monitor the path of the team that beat us as they took our place in the draw. They drew Southampton who made the final and won the cup. The Bradford ball would have been ours.

Wednesday evening was a bit of a sickener, but...

Our record in midweek games (Boxing Day doesn't count) is decent but not that hot - 4 wins, four draws and one defeat. And Reading were in the top half of the form tables. There was an idea that on paper that was our easiest game, because they were lowest in the league table. But on form the games against Wigan and particularly Blackburn Rovers looked easier.

I just know that I am excited by the way we are playing and the chance we have of winning the league. I will worry about next season when I have to.

I am not worried about Sunday at all. I see anything from that game as a bonus. And don't forget, we have only lost twice away from home so we travel very well. And I honestly believe 5 points will see us promoted

18 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

A similar path to the final happened in '78 but we won't dwell on that.

Never mind cup matches, who can forget the 78-79 season for unique bizarre season..P42 W7 D23 L12.  A record for City, the first and only team ever to finish a season in any of the 4 divisions with draws making up more than 50% of the final total, a record still held to this day. This season has seen some wonderful crazy moments, but that season remains unique in its bizarre statistics.

11 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Never mind cup matches, who can forget the 78-79 season for unique bizarre season..P42 W7 D23 L12.  A record for City, the first and only team ever to finish a season in any of the 4 divisions with draws making up more than 50% of the final total, a record still held to this day. This season has seen some wonderful crazy moments, but that season remains unique in its bizarre statistics.

Yes remember that season Essjayess. That draw record in the top flight is one that we still hold, though we always drew a lot even in the other seasons around that period. 2 points for a win in those days. My Westham mate was livid when they (Westham) went down having won 12 games that season to our 7. I remember John Ryan scoring a lot of goal for us, but most games ended 1-1. The left-back Ian Davies coming into the team for the first time also got a few.

3 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Yes remember that season Essjayess. That draw record in the top flight is one that we still hold, though we always drew a lot even in the other seasons around that period. 2 points for a win in those days. My Westham mate was livid when they (Westham) went down having won 12 games that season to our 7. I remember John Ryan scoring a lot of goal for us, but most games ended 1-1. The left-back Ian Davies coming into the team for the first time also got a few.

That Ian Davies fella, just bonkers  🤣

3 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

That Ian Davies fella, just bonkers  🤣

Have you got a story about the bloke Spendidrush? Please share it.

I think he was sold to Newcastle the very next season.

On 12/04/2019 at 15:31, Six Pack said:

There's a fan's forum to be had there somewhere. How about:
WAWWOFACSS (We are winners. Winners of FA Cup Seventy-Six)

5 minutes ago, K Lo said:

There's a fan's forum to be had there somewhere. How about:
WAWWOFACSS (We are winners. Winners of FA Cup Seventy-Six)

No-one said we would be certain winners K Lo, just that we missed an opportunity to reach the final with quite a few lower division teams left in the draw.

34 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Have you got a story about the bloke Spendidrush? Please share it.

I think he was sold to Newcastle the very next season.

No story Six Pack, just that he seemed like the least left back I'd ever seen (until Marco😉) He'd go tearing up the left wing and completely forget about defending, looked great going forward, left a huge hole behind him. 

26 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

No story Six Pack, just that he seemed like the least left back I'd ever seen (until Marco😉) He'd go tearing up the left wing and completely forget about defending, looked great going forward, left a huge hole behind him. 

Ha Ha !you remember it well Splendidrush!

I think he started off as a striker but didn't get any games. Suddenly reemerged in the team at left back replacing Sullivan. Yes, he just bombed forward recklessly, others (like Keith Robson) would appear at left-back filling in for him.  

On 13/04/2019 at 01:12, Cantiaci Canary said:

I try not to worry about failing to secure promotion or getting relegated unless we slip within THREE points reach of our biggest rival.

We currently are SEVEN clear and so we can afford to breathe easy.

However - I also don't buy into examining any of the historical precedents to find reassurances.

Each season is unique and in ours there are three sides comfortably superior to the rest and winning virtually every fixture. I genuinely don't see Leeds or Sheffield dropping many more points.

We could end up being the highest point scoring side to finish 3rd and make history. I find no comforts there!

☂️

There is a wry irony in someone whose handle is cantiaci canary not putting stock in history😉

I can rest a little more easily about the sheff weds game next friday after their defeat to leeds last night....their season is over now and will be backed by a set of fans that would surely want us to win??

I don’t understand why people think Sheffield wednesdays season is over? A quick look at the table shows there are more than e ouch points left for them to nick a play off spot surely? Or am I missing something?

I think Sheff W’s play-off hopes are dead. I think they’ll know that too. Of course that doesn’t mean they’ll just roll over - they might fancy being on Sky with no pressure. But if we’re at our best it shouldn’t matter.

7 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

There is a wry irony in someone whose handle is cantiaci canary not putting stock in history😉

I'm also a History teacher!

☂️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Six Pack said:

No-one said we would be certain winners K Lo, just that we missed an opportunity to reach the final with quite a few lower division teams left in the draw.

Haha, I was ridiculing Leeds fans, not criticising you.