Making Plans

Time to shake it up at Wigan

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

"I still can't get over how appalling Stiepermann played today. Just awful. He didn't look like a football player. He looked like a fan being given a chance to play with professionals. Cannot believe he lasted the full game."

Given that you define the league leaders being 1-0 down at home to relegation candidates after an hour "working", I wouldn't expect you to agree with a lot of what I say.

I'll accept I resorted to a touch of hyperbole, but then saying that I had a good friend growing up who now plays for Lowestoft who is a fan, and he would have done a better job than Stiepermann last night, so it wasn't wholly inaccurate. And I still cannot believe he lasted the full game and if he had been subbed of, his replacement may well have had closed the second assist down with a bit more conviction and stopped the equaliser. Shame. I hope that doesn't trigger Thirsty Lizard too badly; it appears that as well as wanting criticism of players on football forums outlawed, he also thinks they aren't the place to question strategy and decisions of the coach. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's great. We draw a game and people come up with some ridiculous statements but that has to be one of the more creative one's. Didn't realise there were so many unstable people in and around Norwich!

Criticism of a player's performance and questioning the tactics deployed in a game of football is unstable.

Right.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Given that you define the league leaders being 1-0 down at home to relegation candidates after an hour "working", I wouldn't expect you to agree with a lot of what I say.

I'll accept I resorted to a touch of hyperbole, but then saying that I had a good friend growing up who now plays for Lowestoft who is a fan, and he would have done a better job than Stiepermann last night, so it wasn't wholly inaccurate. And I still cannot believe he lasted the full game and if he had been subbed of, his replacement may well have had closed the second assist down with a bit more conviction and stopped the equaliser. Shame. I hope that doesn't trigger Thirsty Lizard too badly; it appears that as well as wanting criticism of players on football forums outlawed, he also thinks they aren't the place to question strategy and decisions of the coach. 

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

but then saying that I had a good friend growing up who now plays for Lowestoft who is a fan, and he would have done a better job than Stiepermann last night, so it wasn't wholly inaccurate.

A touch of hyperbole you say?

Oh dear oh dear Canarydan this isn't going too well for you is it?

You're now resorting to putting words into my mouth that I've never said and then trying to condemn me for those words - even thought I've never said them!

Pay attention now and I'll spell it out for you nice and slowly!

A football forum is the perfect place for fans to give their opinion on players' performances and a manager's strategy and decisions!

A football forum is also the perfect place for other fans who believe a poster is speaking horse s**t on these matters to say so!

Got it? 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

And that isn't hyperbole? You're well aware of what you're doing, young man, and I'm not biting 🙂

Regarding your first sentence, yes, I believe it was working. And here are my workings:

Over the course of this season – and particularly up until Christmas – we were consistently scoring late goals to win matches, overwhelming teams with our superior fitness and unshakeable belief in our own ability. In the last couple of months, we've got on the front foot a lot earlier in games, often leading early on. Throughout this fantastic season, Farke has backed his players and his tactics to the hilt. He doesn't shít himself if it doesn't bear instant results; we recycle the ball, keep possession, stick to our patterns of play. Last night we were creating chances, and plenty of them. We made one mistake, and were punished for it.

I've queried a lot of decisions he's made this season – and of course we can and should query things – but check the table and you'll surely agree that in the grand scheme of things he's been right. We can pontificate until the end of time – "if he'd just made substitutions earlier in this game, and if he'd have picked this played instead of that player in that game, we could have won the league by more" – but ultimately any football team in history has had days where it hasn't worked out. I'm sure there were Barcelona fans under Guardiola, Milan fans under Sacchi, Ajax fans under Michels, who could see apparently obvious flaws that they believed would iron out perceived shortcomings, but sometimes you've just got to trust the system and its architect.

And I trust this architect as much as any I've seen at NCFC, and that includes Stringer and Walker.

• Like 1

I think Stiepermann was kept on for his height, personally.

It's odd how we all see things differently. In my view, there were 30 seconds left in a vital title-chasing game and the ball bobbles out to their left back with probably 18/19 players in our attacking third. If I'm Jordan Rhodes in that situation I put the guy on the floor and tank a booking to let us get set and waste some more seconds.

Instead, he attempts for the ball but pulls out from the foul; long ball, bobble bobble, sidefoot mi**** and it's 2-2. 

As people have said though, these games happen near the end of the season à la Wolves and us last year. All we have to do is win 3 games. Bring on Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Instead, he attempts for the ball but pulls out from the foul; long ball, bobble bobble, sidefoot mi**** and it's 2-2. 

@Pete Raven I think the swear filter is broke.

God forbid we draw Scunthope in the cup next season.

22 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Criticism of a player's performance and questioning the tactics deployed in a game of football is unstable.

Right.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

I think i'll just leave you to it fella. Let's just say i'm eternally grateful for Farke, our coaching team and players and the safe knowledge that you'll be a million miles away from ever influencing one of their decisions.

I  honestly can't believe people are moaning after a draw. A comeback from losing until the 85th minute to nearly go on and win??

I can't wait to see what the reactions are like when we get tonked by Man City, Liverpool etc. should we reach the promised land (which, I'm going to say, we most likely will).

When was the last time we lost a game? It was so long ago I can barely remember... Oh yes... It was wee Alex getting one over on us. But we're SIX points clear at the top of the table when none of us really expected anything from this season. Those moaning should probably take a bit of a look at themselves.

(I do want to get Vrancic or Leitner back in the side though...)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

@Pete Raven I think the swear filter is broke.

I think we'll be alright, as I can see that it got through the swear filter...

Stiepermann played worse than some non-leaguers last night.

Beyond, "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT"  "YOU'RE A PANT-WETTER"  "UNSTABLE", no one seems to have any counter to it.

His passing was erratic, his decision-making in the final third was poor, I can recall at least two shots in the first half when a pass was a better option and he was at fault for the first goal and partially culpable for the second.

The only specific defence we've had his "his interplay was good". I can't remember a great deal of that, so anyone who wants to point out where his interplay was good I will gratefully receive it.

Likewise with our strategy; I've explained how it appeared to me that Reading set themselves out and that we should have tried an alternative to knocking it around the back and passing to the full backs, who were deliberately given plenty of space by Reading as part of their gameplan. What's the famous Einstein quote? Insanity is trying to same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Normally at games I'm left with egg on my face as I'll suggest a change Farke should make and the person I said should be subbed goes and scores and I accept the ribbing from those around me. Last night the opposite happened, as I said 10 minutes before the goal that we should be attacking up the centre with quick one, twos and low and behold, we try exactly what I said and it's 1-1. Curiously, no one started having a hissy fit there and saying "stop being so pompous" "don't question strategy" "let's set up a fund so Danny can call Farke and tell him what to do" but then it's a lot harder to be a di*k without a keyboard in front of you, isn't it?

So, to clarify, I think Stiepermann is quality, in my opinion our 5th best performer over the course of the entire season. I thought last night he was bad. Awful bad. If I bothered with those rate the players things I'd give him a 3/10.

I think Farke is an amazing coach and one we're lucky to have and it's staggering how many times he has got it right this season. But last night I think he got it wrong and was, perhaps for the first time this season, outcoached by his opposite number.

Just now, hogesar said:

I think i'll just leave you to it fella. Let's just say i'm eternally grateful for Farke, our coaching team and players and the safe knowledge that you'll be a million miles away from ever influencing one of their decisions.

Me too. And remember that, it's the Pinkun message board. It's a million miles away from ever influencing anything. So you don't need to get all angst-ridden when a player's or manager's performance is criticised. It's the place to do it. It's far better to vent your frustrations at individuals here than doing it in the ground like some idiots, where it can actually p*ss off the players and coaching staff. 

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

.... do you think that the CSF will add nappies to their campaign to supply st's at Carrow Road?

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You keep saying this like it is a proveable fact and not just your (hyperbolic in my view) opinion.

He didn't play brilliantly but I don't believe he was as awful as you make out.

Beyond, "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT"  "YOU'RE A PANT-WETTER"  "UNSTABLE", no one seems to have any counter to it.

His passing was erratic, his decision-making in the final third was poor, I can recall at least two shots in the first half when a pass was a better option and he was at fault for the first goal and partially culpable for the second.

The only specific defence we've had his "his interplay was good". I can't remember a great deal of that, so anyone who wants to point out where his interplay was good I will gratefully receive it.

Likewise with our strategy; I've explained how it appeared to me that Reading set themselves out and that we should have tried an alternative to knocking it around the back and passing to the full backs, who were deliberately given plenty of space by Reading as part of their gameplan. What's the famous Einstein quote? Insanity is trying to same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Normally at games I'm left with egg on my face as I'll suggest a change Farke should make and the person I said should be subbed goes and scores and I accept the ribbing from those around me. Last night the opposite happened, as I said 10 minutes before the goal that we should be attacking up the centre with quick one, twos and low and behold, we try exactly what I said and it's 1-1. Curiously, no one started having a hissy fit there and saying "stop being so pompous" "don't question strategy" "let's set up a fund so Danny can call Farke and tell him what to do" but then it's a lot harder to be a di*k without a keyboard in front of you, isn't it?

So, to clarify, I think Stiepermann is quality, in my opinion our 5th best performer over the course of the entire season. I thought last night he was bad. Awful bad. If I bothered with those rate the players things I'd give him a 3/10.

I think Farke is an amazing coach and one we're lucky to have and it's staggering how many times he has got it right this season. But last night I think he got it wrong and was, perhaps for the first time this season, outcoached by his opposite number.

Me too. And remember that, it's the Pinkun message board. It's a million miles away from ever influencing anything. So you don't need to get all angst-ridden when a player's or manager's performance is criticised. It's the place to do it. It's far better to vent your frustrations at individuals here than doing it in the ground like some idiots, where it can actually p*ss off the players and coaching staff. 

Oh, touché.

I'm sure if we had a pint before or after a match we'd have a great old time, but on here you're coming across as a bit of a sausage.

Yes, it's just my opinion. I didn't think it was worth a great deal when I woke up this morning, but given how pi*sy some of you guys have got about me having it then maybe I need to reassess. It's like, how dare a stranger on the PinkUn message board think Stiepermann played poorly! HOW DARE HE!!! And he thinks Farke got it wrong too?! WHO IS THIS GUY AND WHERE IS THE LYNCH MOB?! I mean, get a grip.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm sure if we had a pint before or after a match we'd have a great old time, but on here you're coming across as a bit of a sausage.

Don't be so sure, I can be a d*ck in real life too. I tend to be in the Jubilee before most games if you really do want to find out.

12 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Last night the opposite happened, as I said 10 minutes before the goal that we should be attacking up the centre with quick one, twos and low and behold, we try exactly what I said and it's 1-1. Curiously, no one started having a hissy fit there and saying "stop being so pompous" "don't question strategy" "let's set up a fund so Danny can call Farke and tell him what to do" but then it's a lot harder to be a di*k without a keyboard in front of you, isn't it?

Here's a quiz question for you Canarydan. When Godfrey played the quick one, two up the centre that led to his goal who did he play the one, two with?

Don't be so sure, I can be a d*ck in real life too. I tend to be in the Jubilee before most games if you really do want to find out.

I'd happily meet any Norwich fan for a pint... I can usually be found in the Wig & Pen beforehand.

Do you ever post in the PUPs thread, by the way? Give it a go if you haven't done already.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Don't be so sure, I can be a d*ck in real life too. 

Never doubted it for a moment, glad we could keep you entertained while you are at work, right, I'm off to bed, night all.

You have. My boss has gone for a long lunch so I'll have to resort to Netflix now you guys are starting to pipe down.

You have. My boss has gone for a long lunch so I'll have to resort to Netflix now you guys are starting to pipe down.

No I haven't, I'm still in the office. Get on with your work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Stiepermann. Do I get a prize?

Yes - you get the "perhaps on reflection my criticism of an individual player was ridiculous and way over the top" award for season 2018/19. Enjoy. 😉

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just to really **** up CanaryDan's day...

I hate to rain on your parade, but unlike you people having a contrary opinion to me on a football message board has zero impact on my day.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I hate to rain on your parade, but unlike you people having a contrary opinion to me on a football message board has zero impact on my day.

You're not the only one who can do hyperbole my man.