Making Plans

Time to shake it up at Wigan

Too many half hearted performances tonight - Steipermann, Cantwell & Maclean.

Can't afford to carry passengers now when we've got class players gagging for a game on the bench.

Time to start with Vrancic & Leitner

• Like 1

would put vrancic in for Cantwell. Stiepermann is too vital to everything we do. yeah he was at fault tonight but how many times this season has he pushed us up a gear winning the ball high up the pitch.

Stiepermann is too influential to the way we play.  Vrancic in for Cantwell should be enough.  Todd had a chance to impress tonight, he worked hard and had some good touches, but didn't really make much creative impact.  Vrancic was influential from the moment he got on the pitch.

• Like 2

It was a pretty lack lustre team performance, dont think Todd should be carrying the can for that.

Really, it is telling that as soon as vrancic was on the pitch we looked a whole lot better. Farke surely saw that and if he had put vrancic on instead of Rhodes I reckon we would have won. Vrancic really must start.

• Like 2

There were worse players than Cantwell. McLean and Stiepermann for starters. I doubt he will make changes beyond dropping Cantwell but those two could have no complaints at being benched. You're allowed a bad game but christ, they looked like Sunday Leaguers given a shot at professional football. 

I agree Stiepermann is crucial to how we play, which is why we were so w*nk today, because he was so w*nk. 

Still, we've still effectively got two lives left, just as we did this morning. 

Definitely bring Vrancic back in to the team. We’ve dominated that match and created enough chances to win at a canter but it still wasn’t a good  performance. Rhodes hasn’t done himself too many favours either with the missed sitter and the needless time wasting. The best form of defence is attack, we were blowing them away, why time waste in the corners and give possession away to invite the pressure on.

We cannot  have our 2 best midfielders on the bench. I fear Lewis might be injured too. Still in a great  position but we need one of Leitner or Vrancic to start. Missed that spark of Emi tonight.

Just now, Yellow and Green said:

Nice to see everyone's staying calm...

I’ve seen nothing to suggest they are not!?

All for keeping the same team when we are winning but the sending off and a dull performance changes all that.

We nearly got out of jail tonight but in the end we've chucked 2 points away by sloppy defending, mainly thanks to Steipermann.

Maybe one or two are a bit tired, over confident or feeling the pressure and they shouldn't be allowed to think their selection is safe when they have not had good games. .

We have class players in Vrancic & Leitner who won't let us down and can get the job done.

A few weeks ago people were commenting on the strength of our bench. Doesn't matter how strong it is if you don't use it or pick some of the players sitting on it.

• Like 1

One thing we can be sure of is that Farke is not one for knee jerk reactions. Unlike a lot of posters on here.

We face a massive test at Wigan.  Don't be fooled by their lowly league position.  They are very decent at home.  They only have 11 points fewer than us at home all season after tonight (with a game less played at home) and haven't lost at home since New Years Day!

Wigan Home Form Here

Edited by norfolkbroadslim
  • Like 1

I still can't get over how appalling Stiepermann played today. Just awful. He didn't look like a football player. He looked like a fan being given a chance to play with professionals. Cannot believe he lasted the full game. 

It was a strange game of football. We hit the post, had a goal disallowed, missed more than one sitter; Reading scored with their only two shots on target. Yes, there were some sloppy passes and some rather slow build-up play, but I think that is more a testament to how well Reading played in their pressing and disciplined defensive shape than Norwich being especially poor. On another night that would have finished 4-0. Cantwell didn't set the world on fire, but he wasn't awful. Would have preferred Vrancic from the start, but no need for panic. We're still 6 and 7 points above 2nd and 3rd respectively. 3 wins out of 5 would guarantee promotion.

• Like 1

Yes it wasn't one of our better performances, but we still gained a point. There were several below par players on the pitch tonight and we didn't pass the ball quick enough. We did step up the pace when Vrancic came on, and I would definitely start him on Sun.

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I still can't get over how appalling Stiepermann played today. Just awful. He didn't look like a football player. He looked like a fan being given a chance to play with professionals. Cannot believe he lasted the full game.

That's nuts. I thought he had a largely positive influence in general, obviously gave the ball away for Reading's first but otherwise I thought he was decent enough.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That's nuts. I thought he had a largely positive influence in general, obviously gave the ball away for Reading's first but otherwise I thought he was decent enough.

He was also at fault for Reading's second!

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

1413912259785_wps_4_THE_DAD_S_ARMY_STORY

• Like 2

Just now, norfolkbroadslim said:

He was also at fault for Reading's second!

How? The fella passed it through his legs. He's hardly going to go flying into a challenge inside the area in the 97th minute, is he? And the guy who hit the shot was completely unmarked.

• Like 1

All sides drop points, often unexpectedly - it’s a shame that we couldn’t keep our winning streak going but it was always going to end.  

We are still 7pts from 3rd, now with 5 to play. Any side in any league in the land would be happy with being in that position.  I don’t think there’s any particular need to ‘shake it up’ (though I do think it’s a shame Leitner didn’t play tonight).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

How? The fella passed it through his legs. He's hardly going to go flying into a challenge inside the area in the 97th minute, is he? And the guy who hit the shot was completely unmarked.

Leave it FTW, he's looking for a scapegoat and MS is in his sights tonight.

25 points from 27, MS has been immense so far in the charge up the table, 7 points clear of third, others were lacking tonight - either played out of position or expected to fill in for a suspended genius.

Unfair to single out anybody.

Stiepermann didn’t have his best day but wasn’t the main problem.   I thought Cantwell looked lightweight.

And McClean kept giving the ball away.  He’s been great, and is certainly a top squad player at Championship level, but whether we can live with someone who gives the ball away so much should we make the Premiership is open to question.

We have arguably the two best midfielders in the Championship sitting on the bench.  Vrancic made an immediate impact when he came on.

As for Leitner, we’ll need his calm and his passing skills if we make the Premier.     But he won’t be here if the message to him is that he’s third choice.   He's got a high profile in Germany still, and won't be short of suitors if he's the back up to the back up to Kenny McClean here.